Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Labrev wrote:
17 Dec 2020 13:33
As much as it's fun to laugh at the Bears for passing on Mahomes and Watson to trade up for Turd'biscuity, I also kinda feel like it wouldn't have mattered because -- as we all well know -- Chicago is where QBs go to die.

Mahomes's talent was legit but he also needed some refinement (much like Cutler when they traded for him) and he also had the benefit of a good supporting cast in KC, so it was kind of a perfect situation for him. In Chicago, he probably would have been Cutler 2.0 -- very inconsistent between brilliance and incompetence (much like Mitch has been).

Watson is good but we also see how limited his success is without a better supporting cast. I mean, I feel like that's basically true of all QBs, but it's also why Chicago is never able to find their Franchise QB -- they just don't know how to put QBs in a position to succeed.
Eh, I get the idea of that, but there have been, and will be several different groups of people who come through those doors with different perspectives. Can they find a franchise QB? Heck yes they can, they just have not been successful at doing so. But there is not some force field around the city of Chicago that doesn't allow franchise QB's to put on a Bears helmet.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, I definitely get the idea that had Mahomes gone to Chicago they would have started him right away on a team without the personnel to succeed, so maybe that great talent gets ruined.

But Watson was also put in a situation to be ruined, with a terrible OLine a streaky running game, a revolving door at TE, etc.

And he still flourished. So I think he could have survived to improve the Bears had he been given the chance

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
17 Dec 2020 13:39
Labrev wrote:
17 Dec 2020 13:33
As much as it's fun to laugh at the Bears for passing on Mahomes and Watson to trade up for Turd'biscuity, I also kinda feel like it wouldn't have mattered because -- as we all well know -- Chicago is where QBs go to die.

Mahomes's talent was legit but he also needed some refinement (much like Cutler when they traded for him) and he also had the benefit of a good supporting cast in KC, so it was kind of a perfect situation for him. In Chicago, he probably would have been Cutler 2.0 -- very inconsistent between brilliance and incompetence (much like Mitch has been).

Watson is good but we also see how limited his success is without a better supporting cast. I mean, I feel like that's basically true of all QBs, but it's also why Chicago is never able to find their Franchise QB -- they just don't know how to put QBs in a position to succeed.
I think the "it's not who you draft" but "where you're drafted, the situation you're drafted into and the supporting cast, both players and coaches..." is the more important factor for every player in the NFL.

I am convinced Aaron Rodgers is not the Aaron Rodgers we know today if he were taken by San Fran at #1 in 2005.
Cannot agree more. They're are dozens of good players in the league who are stuck in the mud with bad teams and coaches.
This also applies to choosing the right college. Lots of kids get lost in the wash behind upper classmen. Look no further than Joe Burrow at Ohio State.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Packfntk wrote:
17 Dec 2020 13:41
But there is not some force field around the city of Chicago that doesn't allow franchise QB's to put on a Bears helmet.
Obviously not, but with their perpetual problem of putting together a decent supporting cast on offense, there may as well be. :o

Ever notice how some teams are just good/bad in certain areas in perpetuity? Like, Chicago always seems to have good defenses, as does Baltimore as well as running the football (they may have down years, but not for very long). We have had great offenses, great QB play, great OL, but stretches where he have no RB, and ILB never seems like a position where he have anything to write home about. Steelers have their strong defensive front-seven units, especially good with LBers.

I feel like there's something to that idea. Not like it's literally impossible for teams to do things differently. But I feel like, when you have a certain identity, there develops a certain philosophy around the model that has worked for them within that organization, and outside of it that may attract like-minded people. To a point where, even when those teams go into rebuild mode, it may just be easier to just recreate what they had before and go get guys who will do that because half the roster already looks like that anyway.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I'm sure someday in the future, Chicago will have an elite QB -- eventually, everything happens --, but I doubt it will be anytime soon.
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
17 Dec 2020 14:01
Packfntk wrote:
17 Dec 2020 13:41
But there is not some force field around the city of Chicago that doesn't allow franchise QB's to put on a Bears helmet.
Obviously not, but with their perpetual problem of putting together a decent supporting cast on offense, there may as well be. :o

Ever notice how some teams are just good/bad in certain areas in perpetuity? Like, Chicago always seems to have good defenses, as does Baltimore as well as running the football (they may have down years, but not for very long). We have had great offenses, great QB play, great OL, but stretches where he have no RB, and ILB never seems like a position where he have anything to write home about. Steelers have their strong defensive front-seven units, especially good with LBers.

I feel like there's something to that idea. Not like it's literally impossible for teams to do things differently. But I feel like, when you have a certain identity, there develops a certain philosophy around the model that has worked for them within that organization, and outside of it that may attract like-minded people. To a point where, even when those teams go into rebuild mode, it may just be easier to just recreate what they had before and go get guys who will do that because half the roster already looks like that anyway.
Yup. Yup. Yup.

Culture is absolutely a thing.

The one team I do give credit for kind of "flipping" their identity over a 20 year period is the Minnesota Vikings.

I mean growing up in the late 90's really until what...2010? The Vikings were a home run hitting fast offensive team with powers like their 98 show of Moss, Carter, Smith. It didn't matter who was throwing the ball from Johnson, Cunningham, George, Culpepper...they put up points.

But then the Vikings made their transition of using the dome of crowd noise to their advantage and really has been more of a defensive power the last 15 years.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Labrev wrote:
17 Dec 2020 14:17
I'm sure someday in the future, Chicago will have an elite QB -- eventually, everything happens --, but I doubt it will be anytime soon.
When they get one we'll let you know. When your all time quarterback is Jay Cutler, you've got some issues.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... assing.htm
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Trudge wrote:
17 Dec 2020 15:29
Labrev wrote:
When they get one we'll let you know. When your all time quarterback is Jay Cutler, you've got some issues.

I'd say their best was Luckman by a mile:

1. Luckman (HOFer, 5x all-pro, all-1940s team)
2. McMahon (1 ring [well two actually], 1 pro bowl)
3. Billy Wade (2x pro bowl, 1 ring)
4. Cutler (1 pro bowl)
5. Orton?
6. Grossman?
7. Harbaugh? (1 pro bowl)
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
18 Dec 2020 13:39
Trudge wrote:
Labrev wrote:

4. Cutler (1 pro bowl)
5. Orton?
6. Grossman?
Is there a player in the world who sucked more vs 31 teams in the NFL but was an all pro when playing the Green Bay Packers.

Just seemed like Kyle Orton was a Packers and even Vikings killa.

Germain Wiggins was like that too. Stunk in every game except when he played the Packers.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

go pak go wrote:
18 Dec 2020 14:27
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Trudge wrote:

4. Cutler (1 pro bowl)
5. Orton?
6. Grossman?
Is there a player in the world who sucked more vs 31 teams in the NFL but was an all pro when playing the Green Bay Packers.

Germain Wiggins was like that too. Stunk in every game except when he played the Packers.
Except the time he didn't...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 160gnb.htm
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Trudge wrote:
Labrev wrote:

4. Cutler (1 pro bowl)
5. Orton?
6. Grossman?
What no Bobby Douglass! Outrageous! :mob:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Cdragon wrote:
18 Dec 2020 14:43
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Trudge wrote:

4. Cutler (1 pro bowl)
5. Orton?
6. Grossman?
What no Bobby Douglass! Outrageous! :mob:
haha, both Bobbie and Mac played for the Pack, maybe played would be a over statement, could say they where bench anchors.

I lived in Ill when they played for the Bears, Douglas was a brute of a running QB, most lbers had trouble with him 1 on 1, and he would run right over safety's, over 900 yrds rushing once, course thats about all he passed for too.

McMahon imo was better then anyone from this forum ever gave him credit for, could make every throw, course when your playing on a run first offense with Walter Payton, the spot light will rarely come off of him, and if it did it went right to that world class defense, even a show boater like McMahon couldn't compete with that.
Cocky, abrasive, loud, entertaining, all the right stuff to be hated by opposing fans, :lol: not to much different then the one we adored ( Fav're), he was close to getting thrown out of BYU according to a friend from town who knows him well, or at least use to, Jim came here and did deer season for years at his hunting LODGE
trivia..

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Trudge wrote:
18 Dec 2020 14:39
go pak go wrote:
18 Dec 2020 14:27
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

4. Cutler (1 pro bowl)
5. Orton?
6. Grossman?

Except the time he didn't...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 160gnb.htm
I believe Kyle Orton is 5-2 vs the Packers and has beaten us when playing for the Bears, Chiefs and Bills.

His loss I believe came when he was a Bear for 1 game and a Bronco for the other.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
19 Dec 2020 17:36
huh. wow

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Saints missed their window. It shut when they were bounced outta the playoffs two seasons ago, now they are going to keep making the playoffs only to keep falling short until Brees hangs 'em up.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

San Francisco eliminated from the playoffs with today's loss and the Cardinals' win.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

This is a pretty crazy spread at the top.

41st place rusher (Austin Ekeler, 467 yards) is closer to 3rd than Robinson is to 1st.

image.png
image.png (81.1 KiB) Viewed 292 times

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Wonder what would happen if we gave it to Jones 321 times? If he kept the average it would be 1733 yards.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Nick Chubb and Miles Sanders, the only RBs with a better y/c than Aaron Jones.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."