Aaron Jones Watch

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Somewhere someone mentioned that J. Williams' agent was spotted around GB

And while I am hesitant to read tea leaves, Aaron Jones swapping out his agent and J. Williams' agent heading to GB within a week does sound like there is maybe SOME movement here where either a deal gets reached or thy have recognized that one isn't going to be reached.

Or a complete coincidence, as agents have lots of clients and there's lots of business to attend to.

Honestly I woke up yesterday with a vivid memory of hearing that Jones was extended and having posted about it, only to see there was no such post on the board and I must've dreamed the whole thing, so it's clearly getting to crunch time

(I do think the deadline for applying money to the 2020 cap for spreading out purposes is fast approaching)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah. I just don't think this is happening.

Jones missed some time this year and his receiving threat or production has declined during the year. The Packers just don't have the money resources and the move of going to Rosenhause sure seems like Jones was upset at the offers and ballpark the Packers and Jones's agent was discussing.

I really want him. I think Jones is a top 5 back in the league. But signs aren't looking good.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think Lafluer wanted to get as many players involved with the offense as possible, we used Jones heavy in the first few games, and he already knows his passing schemes and routes, so we don't need to keep showing that stuff to opponents, I think Lafluer like most coaches have a playbook for the season, and another they build for the playoffs as the season progresses, let DC concentrate on stopping Adams and the others and keep some of the stuff Jones does best under wraps if possible, we didn't need Jones to be a receiver threat, doesn't mean he isn't or wont become one.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I'm still optimistic they can get something done. I think he's worth it.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
17 Dec 2020 09:46
I think Lafluer wanted to get as many players involved with the offense as possible, we used Jones heavy in the first few games, and he already knows his passing schemes and routes, so we don't need to keep showing that stuff to opponents, I think Lafluer like most coaches have a playbook for the season, and another they build for the playoffs as the season progresses, let DC concentrate on stopping Adams and the others and keep some of the stuff Jones does best under wraps if possible, we didn't need Jones to be a receiver threat, doesn't mean he isn't or wont become one.
I think this to a certain degree, as well. I think some of the stuff that worked well that they have seemingly gotten away from a little bit will still be in the back pocket for the playoff run. I know our offense is seemingly unstoppable right now, but I still think Jones has to be a big part of what they do in the playoffs to reach their ultimate goal.

Read More. Post Less.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Don't pay RBs. Draft them.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
17 Dec 2020 09:47
He’s definitely worth it. Unfortunately we can’t afford it.

I wouldn’t resign either one. I’d love to keep both but like Casey Hayward years ago the decision to let Jones walk was made in April.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Dec 2020 09:52
NCF wrote:

I wouldn’t resign either one. I’d love to keep both but like Casey Hayward years ago the decision to let Jones walk was made in April.
The Saints are proof we can afford anything. I still think a short-term bridge deal given the current climate of this upcoming offseason may be in everyone's best interest. We'll see. Like I said, I will remain optimistic, even if it's less than a 50-50 proposition.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Dec 2020 09:52
NCF wrote:

I thought so as well, then I saw Dillon run, he's just not a fit in Lafluers mis direction offense, to slow to stretch runs, lbers are waiting for him to come to them, it takes more then power to pull that off, when I watch Henry I'am looking at a completely different player, just my opinion.

heres the thing,, I'll pay for Jones simply because it's doubful I can replace his ability with either tech in the first year or so, and our #1 goal should be WIN now versus building fore the future, havn't we done enough of that these last couple drafts?

this stuff of don't pay RB's isn't exactly true either, your paying for production, people sign RB's to 2nd contracts every year.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
17 Dec 2020 09:49
Don't pay RBs. Draft them.
I almost always agree with this but with our current situation, we could be looking at going into 2021 with AJ Dillon as our only RB with NFL experience, and that was one year mostly in practice.

I think a 2-year extension that allows Jones to get a payday and have a chance at hitting FA again before the doomed RB dropoff gives us our best chance at keeping the window open.

If we lose Jones, we might pay Williams as a veteran presence and then look to the draft for a Michael Carter (3rd/4th), Kylin Hill (4th/5th) or Kahlil Herbert (5th/7th), but it's a lot of risk of losing explosiveness. It's why I wanted to draft soemone Jones-like in the past year to help buffer against this eventuality.

I'm all about drafting a replacement, but having seen the usage of Dexter Williams and AJ Dillon in years one, we might have too much complexity and ask too much of RBs to throw rookies in right away.

There are options, assuredly. But it would be a shame to see the top offense take a step back next year because of a lack of explosive plays in the running game.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Dec 2020 10:19
I think a 2-year extension that allows Jones to get a payday and have a chance at hitting FA again before the doomed RB dropoff gives us our best chance at keeping the window open.
That has always been my hope - and with COVID-depressed cap numbers for 2021, maybe the FA market is limited to lousy franchises who can offer lots of losing and lots of cash. I firmly believe Jones wants to be a Packer a little longer and he's already lived the vagabond life as the son of constantly-moving military parents.
IT. IS. TIME

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
I think this to a certain degree, as well. I think some of the stuff that worked well that they have seemingly gotten away from a little bit will still be in the back pocket for the playoff run. I know our offense is seemingly unstoppable right now, but I still think Jones has to be a big part of what they do in the playoffs to reach their ultimate goal.
If I remember correctly (which may be highly questionable) that beautiful drop it in perfectly in the endzone pass from Brett Favre to Dorsey Levens in the 1996 NFC Championship Game was an excellent example of a back pocket play, i.e., not showing everything in the regular season. Fast forward to the 2 minute mark in the video. Great performance by Levens that day

The 29 Razor play in Super Bowl 31 was likely another back pocket play. Just a couple of thoughts.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

The longer the contract, the lower we can make the year 1 cap hit. Even if there is a garbage year at the end like both Cook and Kamara got.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
If I remember correctly (which may be highly questionable) that beautiful drop it in perfectly in the endzone pass from Brett Favre to Dorsey Levens in the 1996 NFC Championship Game was an excellent example of a back pocket play, i.e., not showing everything in the regular season. Fast forward to the 2 minute mark in the video. Great performance by Levens that day

The 29 Razor play in Super Bowl 31 was likely another back pocket play. Just a couple of thoughts.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Williams has below average acceleration and burst yet is very productive in this offense. Plug and play with RBs. Any available FA dollars need to be spend on DEF and keeping the OL solid. Rodgers has a few more years left in him. Spend $ and picks building around that. Cut Preston after this year. Dump Love on any team that will take him. Get Clarke some help. Draft yoops favorite ILB so he can complain about something else.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
17 Dec 2020 12:55
Williams has below average acceleration and burst yet is very productive in this offense. Plug and play with RBs. Any available FA dollars need to be spend on DEF and keeping the OL solid. Rodgers has a few more years left in him. Spend $ and picks building around that. Cut Preston after this year. Dump Love on any team that will take him. Get Clarke some help. Draft yoops favorite ILB so he can complain about something else.
But the offense is also MUCH less productive the past two years when Jones is taking part in it rather than Williams.

Williams averages about a yard less per carry than Jones and does not find the end zone as well. Our offense isn't the #1 offense with a Williams as our primary back. It's a genuine haircut in quality as well as price.

Like I said, had we set ourselves up better for this with a more explosive backup RB (instead of keeping Tyler Ervin, for instance, having drafted an upgraded replacement for him), then I could say yeah, move on from Jones, and let the second-year guys take the lead. Without that, I'm not sure I'm willin to pay the price of completely gutting our RB room and stocking it with rookies in the midst of this run of success.

Like I said, I am normally very much in your camp. But this scenario presents itself differently to me.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It is also worth noting that Jones doesn't have anything close to the resume of Cook, McCaffery, or Kamara, so his contract also should not be that echelon, when people are thinking about how much it may cost to keep him.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Dec 2020 13:05
It is also worth noting that Jones doesn't have anything close to the resume of Cook, McCaffery, or Kamara, so his contract also should not be that echelon, when people are thinking about how much it may cost to keep him.
I think this is the biggest thing that is holding up a deal. Does Jones see himself in that group? I certainly think he could be argued when playing at his peak, being available and the offense utilizing all of his talents.

But the production is just not close to those guys and the cost shouldn't either. I think the contract being in line closer with the Bengals back is more appropriate.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
That’s gonna be the benchmark though. The next man up always gets paid more.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Dec 2020 16:25
YoHoChecko wrote:
That’s gonna be the benchmark though. The next man up always gets paid more.
Not always. Jones doesn’t have the resume to support a top of the market deal.

Read More. Post Less.