General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
31 Dec 2020 12:20
Labrev wrote:
31 Dec 2020 11:53
texas wrote:
31 Dec 2020 01:57
Davante is the best WR in the league this year. Better than Tyreek. Better than Hopkins. Maybe best WR I have seen in a Packers uniform since I became a fan. I don't know what he did to add to his game this year, maybe it's the jukes or something, but he's pretty creative with the ball in his hands.
A user at FootballsFuture who's a scout IRL (palmy50) said that Adams was basically an identical athlete to Sammy Watkins, minus only timed speed (Watkins ran 4.43, Adams mid-4.5). They are both 2014 draft alumni.

Watkins has been underwhelming, so it's easy to forget how much hype there was around him as a draft prospect -- dominant college player, rare quickness and body-control. Buffalo moved into the Top-5 to get Watkins, moving up from 9 overall and giving up their next year's 1st and 4th to do it.

So what Adams is doing now is what people were expecting Watkins to be. Dominant, HOF-caliber, it's like we took the draft's #1-rated WR prospect that our fans only dream about us getting every year... with our 2nd-round pick. Nice!

'Gotta think this is right up there with Niick Collins as one of TT's greatest draft picks behind A-Rod.
Ted was excellent at drafting receivers in the 2nd round, Jennings, Nelson and Cobb where 2nd rounders, I think James Jones was a 3rd round pick.

not sure what happened with Watkins, I expect it had to do with who was throwing the ball, and imo Adams is a lot quicker then he is fast, he sure doesn't look like a 4.5 player.
I keep reminding all the "experts" over on FF that our Adams was productive with that goof Hundley under center back in 2017 after Rodgers broke his right collarbone.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Rodgers also recently mentioned that Adams came into the league in the 220-lb. range, pretty thick build ala James Jones.

He now plays in the 210-lb. range, which probably really helps bring out that explosive quickness.

He also said that Adams is always working tirelessly to perfect his craft; the guy just does not take any reps off at all.

So you have a guy with high-end talent, some truly special/elite traits, getting everything out of it his natural talent that he can and has a HOF QB not just throwing him the ball but adding another mental layer to the offense through their years-long familiarity and experience with each other... it's truly something to behold.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
31 Dec 2020 14:36
Pretty sure it has been nothing more than luck, but I have a very very good draft history with WR's, starting around Keenan Allen and Deondre Hopkins as my first two big crushes.

To the contrary, I can't think of a single CB I have really really liked pre-draft process that has turned out good. Almost to the point where I don't even bother digging much into the CB's anymore. :lol:
Based on your draft board you just posted I was noticing how good those boundary WR rankings were, but the slot? could use some work.

Meanwhile, I loved Randall Cobb and Jarvis Landry and Tyler Lockett and Deebo Samuel in the slot....

...but EQSB and Trevor Davis on the boundary, not to mention hating DK Metcalf.

So you do boundary, I do slot. And NCF and I read all we can about DBs and we're getting somewhere.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Man I barely remember this.

Kevin Greene sighting, RIP.

Ray Rhodes, we hardly new ye.

How fun it like that was happening today for the #1 seed between Rodgers and Wilson.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I think the best part of Davante’s game is in his feet. I’ve heard that he does a LOT of footwork compared to others. But look at his route-running, his jukes, his stutter steps, etc. He’s always setting up something. It gives him more separation, even against double-teams, than we’ve hardly ever seen.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I agree Adams is the best but we have to admit that Stefan Diggs is doing for the Bills what Adams does for the Packers. Diggs is having an awesome year. Everyone talks about Hopkins and Hill but Diggs is definitely playing better than either of them this year. Will have to see if he can do it in the playoffs when he will get a lot of attention.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Too funny, and accurate, to not share.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Schneider told Peter King that had we not traded up to the spot, Seattle would have taken Darnell Savage themselves at 21, FYI:
Example: During the season when DK Metcalf was on fire, I looked into the five trades during the 2019 drafted that resulted in Seattle stealing Metcalf with the 64th pick. Seattle started the draft with the 21st overall pick, and Schneider kept trading. Now, Schneider loved Metcalf and couldn’t believe he kept tumbling down the board on draft weekend. I asked him if he’d kept the 21st pick, would he have taken Metcalf at 21? He said no. He said because of Seattle’s need at safety, he’d likely have taken safety Darnell Savage of Maryland—the pick Green Bay actually made after trading with Seattle for the 21st pick. Sometimes, he said, you look at your position groups and they influence who you take, and when you take them. With safety such a big need, Savage would have been an excellent fit.
Always fun to hear some of this stuff after-the-fact when teams and GMs get a little looser with their preference for secrecy.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
04 Jan 2021 09:53
Lazard. 46 targets, 71.7%

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Damn, talk about Amos and Turner turning it on in their 2nd years here.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Still pretty close to call whether CHI or GB got the better end of the transaction between the Clinton-Dix and Amos switches.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2021 13:28
Still pretty close to call whether CHI or GB got the better end of the transaction between the Clinton-Dix and Amos switches.
Also who got the better OLB deal, Chicago with 90M guaranteed to Mack, or we with 36M guaranteed for two Smiths... :idn:

:rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
04 Jan 2021 14:42
go pak go wrote:
Also who got the better OLB deal, Chicago with 90M guaranteed to Mack, or we with 36M guaranteed for two Smiths... :idn:

:rotf:
I mean. Mack had a sack yesterday and the Smiths didn't....

Pretty obvious to me. Even Kyle Fuller staying with Chicago instead of us taking Jaire Alexander in 2018.

Goodness Chicago is just winning all the moves! :shock:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
I hate you man :rotf: I suppose you want me to eat even more crow about Dix :thwap:

Amos is having a great season, we ask Amos to do stuff we never really asked of HHCD, in fact the way Dix played the last 2 seasons was nothing like the first two, but thats all fans seem to remember, during the last 2 we had street walk ons at CB, Martinez in his first season at ILB, a depleted pass rush, and that makes a difference in how the FS plays, he can't roam or gamble cause he's in prevent scheme on every play.

Amos on the other hand has talent around him, that translates to less distractions, when you have confidence in your play partners it helps you focus better on just your assignments.

I'am happy to have Amos, and Savage, and I like the new comer Scott,

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
04 Jan 2021 15:22
go pak go wrote:
I hate you man :rotf: I suppose you want me to eat even more crow about Dix :thwap:

Amos is having a great season, we ask Amos to do stuff we never really asked of HHCD, in fact the way Dix played the last 2 seasons was nothing like the first two, but thats all fans seem to remember, during the last 2 we had street walk ons at CB, Martinez in his first season at ILB, a depleted pass rush, and that makes a difference in how the FS plays, he can't roam or gamble cause he's in prevent scheme on every play.

Amos on the other hand has talent around him, that translates to less distractions, when you have confidence in your play partners it helps you focus better on just your assignments.

:lol: :lol: It's okay to just say that Amos and Savage are a far superior safety combination than HHCD and Burnett. Doesn't always have to be a tangent answer on why something is the way it is. The increase in play started to happen when they put Savage in that box role and Amos at the more back end role. Something i honestly thought was a bad idea but was completely wrong.

And better surrounding talent? I thought 3 weeks ago Pettine's hands were tied on this defense because we overall lacked talent at the ILB and defensive front and therefore it is always harder to play defense than offense....you get the drift. ;)

So now we have talent? I have trouble keeping up when this roster is either loaded with talent or complete void of it. ;)
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Robert Tonyan now shares the TE receiving TD record with 11!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
04 Jan 2021 16:24
In case anyone is interested proportions and/or ratios with respect to the Packers TE touchdown record.

2020: Rodgers - 48 TD passes. Robert Tonyan caught 11. 16 game season
1983: Dickey - 32 TD passes. Paul Coffman caught 11. 16 game season
1962: Starr - 12 TD passes. Ron Kramer caught 7. 14 game season

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2021 16:10
Yoop wrote:
04 Jan 2021 15:22
go pak go wrote:

:lol: :lol: It's okay to just say that Amos and Savage are a far superior safety combination than HHCD and Burnett. Doesn't always have to be a tangent answer on why something is the way it is. The increase in play started to happen when they put Savage in that box role and Amos at the more back end role. Something i honestly thought was a bad idea but was completely wrong.

And better surrounding talent? I thought 3 weeks ago Pettine's hands were tied on this defense because we overall lacked talent at the ILB and defensive front and therefore it is always harder to play defense than offense....you get the drift. ;)

So now we have talent? I have trouble keeping up when this roster is either loaded with talent or complete void of it. ;)
defense takes longer and requires more group chemistry to be good then offense, we can agree to disagree on this one.

and Dix and Burnett where graded as one of the best safety tandems in the league IN Dix's 2nd season, go look it up, and Amos rarely plays deep safety, often he plays the hybrid lber spot when we use 3 safety's and Scott plays deep, Amos = Burnett in that capacity, just better coverage.

nah, I don't get your sarcastic remarks to well at all.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
04 Jan 2021 16:24
What a season he had.

I was more worried than most with the position before the season. We had Tonyan and his 14 receptions for 177 career yards. Sterny with his 0 yards, who missed most of his rookie season. Ageing Big Dog. And a rookie FB/TE hybrid in Deguara. That group was crap on paper, and the only reason we didn't riot was because we were fed up with expensive veteran misses at the position.

I thought Tonyan would be better than the lowly pre-season expectations, but not THIS much better! He has really worked on his craft, and blossomed into a passing game technician this season, and is no slouch in the athletic traits department. And such hands! Sterny has even better athleticism, I really hope he follows Tonyan's example. Big Dog has blocked like an OL and is a nice sneaky pass target when teams ignore him. Deguara looked pretty good at blocking before going down.