Packers @ Bears GDT - Sunday - 1/3/2021 - 3:25 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:49
What is the reasoning behind letting them move the ball on long drives? What is the benefit? Tire our def - give our off less time.

They still got to the redzone more times than we did so it didn't really work because as soon as they get to the redzone it becomes redzone def
The reasoning is that if you avoid allowing big or even intermediate plays, as we did almost flawlessly, you force them to string together long drives and you gamble that your D can force a turnover or get stops AND/OR that their O will make mistakes, as they're prone to do.

The benefit is that it takes them a long time to move the ball and get points on the board, and we can then win that race. Which we did. By a lot.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:54
bud fox wrote:
What is the reasoning behind letting them move the ball on long drives? What is the benefit? Tire our def - give our off less time.

They still got to the redzone more times than we did so it didn't really work because as soon as they get to the redzone it becomes redzone def
The reasoning is that if you avoid allowing big or even intermediate plays, as we did almost flawlessly, you force them to string together long drives and you gamble that your D can force a turnover or get stops AND/OR that their O will make mistakes, as they're prone to do.

The benefit is that it takes them a long time to move the ball and get points on the board, and we can then win that race. Which we did. By a lot.
Because we stopped them in the redzone 1/5 - Trubisky ordinary qb.

I understand not wanting to give up big play but you don't need to play so loose and off underneath you can just ensure you have cover over the top.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:56
I understand not wanting to give up big play but you don't need to play so loose and off underneath you can just ensure you have cover over the top.
Don't need to, no. But that was the choice we made today and it worked.

We showed last week that we don't NEED to do that. We sold out to stop the run and crowd the line last week, despite playing a team with dangerous downfield weapons.

This week we played a QB known for making mistakes and a team that is, erm, questionably coached. And the game plan looked like it was to gamble that they couldn't sustain drives. The Bears did MUCH BETTER than we probably planned at sustaining those drives. But they still couldn't finish enough drives, which was the plan.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean if you told me we fumbled a punt return. The Bears got calls their way by not getting called false start on 4th and 1, the Bears went for it on 4th down 5 times and converted 4 of them. MVS drops an easy TD. A forced fumble is overturned because the Smiths were offsides. Kevin King drops an easy INT before half. The Bears are like 15 minutes + in TOP going into the 4th quarter

AND THE PACKERS STILL WIN BY 19 (35 TO 16)....I'd be stoked.

But MLF. Give the ball to Dillon on 3rd and 1 okay? It was so frustrating watching Montgomer getting what he needed even when we played it well.

GIVE IT TO DILLON.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2021 19:05
But MLF. Give the ball to Dillon on 3rd and 1 okay? It was so frustrating watching Montgomer getting what he needed even when we played it well.

GIVE IT TO DILLON.
Haha, yeah, there was some nonsense on that play that could have gone a little more smoothly, haha

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:41
go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:38
German_Panzer wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:36

Take into account that they played against Trubidubidoo.
Stop qualifying it. Truby and Montgomery have been very good in December.

The Bears performed the worst in December/January to the Packers. Twice.

Our offense could not end it because MVS dropped it. The defense didn't let the Bears back in when they had every chance too.

Very impressive performance today.
No it wasn't

Bears beat us in first downs, rushing yards, passing yards.

The difference is red zone - packers 4/4, bears 1/5.
This is where good QBs show the difference.
Good thing games are not won by the team with the most first downs, rushing yards, or passing yards! :rotf:

Very good defensive performance today!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:42
Titans scoring the last several weeks:

30 vs Ravens
45 vs the Colts
35 vs the Browns
31 vs the Jaguars
46 vs the Lions
14 vs the Packers
41 vs the Texans

Bears scoring the last few weeks:

25 vs the Packers
30 vs the Lions
36 vs the Texans
33 vs the Vikings
41 vs the Jaguars
16 vs the Packers

Our defense doesn't need caveats for their performances the past two weeks.
Drop the mic and walk away! Negative nancy was just schooled!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Christo wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:18
Give da Bears credit. They did a lot of things right today. They had a good game plan on offense. It almost worked.
Now what do the Bears do? They make the playoffs in the second worst way possible [ whoever wins the east is the worst ] Do you keep Nagy and Pace, or start fresh ?
Yeah, this is the absolute ideal conundrum from a Packers fan's perspective.

mnpackerbacker
Reactions:

Post by mnpackerbacker »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Jan 2021 19:26
Christo wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:18
Give da Bears credit. They did a lot of things right today. They had a good game plan on offense. It almost worked.
Now what do the Bears do? They make the playoffs in the second worst way possible [ whoever wins the east is the worst ] Do you keep Nagy and Pace, or start fresh ?
Yeah, this is the absolute ideal conundrum from a Packers fan's perspective.
Maybe they'll upset the Saints and remove the suspense.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

German_Panzer wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:34
With coaches it's Belichick = Lombardi.
I can't accept that. Lombardi had 10 seasons as head coach, won 5 championships, never had a losing record. Belichick has had 26 seasons as head coach, won 6 championships, had 6 losing records.

Put him in the conversation for second place, by all means; but he isn't Lombardi's equal. No-one is Lombardi's equal as an NFL coach; not so far, anyway.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:42
Titans scoring the last several weeks:

30 vs Ravens
45 vs the Colts
35 vs the Browns
31 vs the Jaguars
46 vs the Lions
14 vs the Packers
41 vs the Texans

Bears scoring the last few weeks:

25 vs the Packers
30 vs the Lions
36 vs the Texans
33 vs the Vikings
41 vs the Jaguars
16 vs the Packers

Our defense doesn't need caveats for their performances the past two weeks.
In competition for most liked post on forum.

Could have highlighted both Packer games for the bears, wouldn’t changed the narrative any. ;)

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

go pak go wrote:
I was honestly very impressed with our defense today. Wish their tackling was better. But beyond that first drive, I thought our defense did a great job. Just failed to capitalize on a few drives.
I thought our corners, at least, came to play and tackled versus just laying a shoulder into the ball carrier. King was bringing it, for sure.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:41
go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:38
German_Panzer wrote:
03 Jan 2021 18:36

Take into account that they played against Trubidubidoo.
Stop qualifying it. Truby and Montgomery have been very good in December.

The Bears performed the worst in December/January to the Packers. Twice.

Our offense could not end it because MVS dropped it. The defense didn't let the Bears back in when they had every chance too.

Very impressive performance today.
No it wasn't

Bears beat us in first downs, rushing yards, passing yards.

The difference is red zone - packers 4/4, bears 1/5.
This is where good QBs show the difference.
Look. I get not being happy after a win. I will do it too.

But when your defense holds the opponent to under 17 points. Around 250 yards. Under 300 passing yards AND you win by 19 points...you just can't be mad.

Especially when the Bears got a lot of lucky breaks today.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Jan 2021 13:11
radar indicates clear skies; cold, but no rain/snow
Oops. ;)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lulu wrote:
03 Jan 2021 19:43
go pak go wrote:
I was honestly very impressed with our defense today. Wish their tackling was better. But beyond that first drive, I thought our defense did a great job. Just failed to capitalize on a few drives.
I thought our corners, at least, came to play and tackled versus just laying a shoulder into the ball carrier. King was bringing it, for sure.
Yup. I wanted to say that in the first half.

You can tell usually early on if King is going to "bring" it. You could tell right away in the 1st quarter this was a "King bringing it game"

usually opposing offenses can't get more than 21 when King has a "bring it game"
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2021 15:22
Sounds like Turner will be LT
Turner did okay but he was beaten a few times today.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

lulu wrote:
03 Jan 2021 19:43
go pak go wrote:
Kings tackling was terrible tonight. Quite a few times he just threw his shoulder instead of wrapping up. He doesn’t he even look. Heads down and diving with his shoulder.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I will say this, when Pettine is going to bend, he is going to bend all day. It's a long con, but he is right more often than not. I don't always agree with it, but in the end, it's effective. Like, how many flat throws were we going to give Tribisky before sitting two guys in the flats and forcing him to throw absolutely anywhere else. Pettine says, take it, over and over and over and over and over... that's not going to beat us. The magic is not ever getting frustrated and staying his course. He obviously doesn't hear me screaming to do something (anything) different, just nope, have at it. That's not going to beat us with Aaron Rodgers on the other side.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If you can’t enjoy this win; there can just be no joy in your lives.

What we do on the playoffs will independent joys or mournings. Enjoy this today, and tomorrow.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
03 Jan 2021 19:49
go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2021 15:22
Sounds like Turner will be LT
Turner did okay but he was beaten a few times today.
He did well enough. He saw a lot of Mack tonight. I’m fine with his performance and I’m not a Turner fan.
Cancelled by the forum elites.