Black Monday / Blacker Sunday?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

So is the Broncos structure similar to the Packers now except for the Russ Ball position? Sounds like Coach and GM are on same level.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
04 Jan 2021 14:53
John Elway out as the Broncos' GM, remains as prez of football operations.

PFT:
John Elway has been in that role since 2011, but announced on Monday that he is stepping away from that job. He will remain the president of football operations and will oversee the search for a new G.M.

“Working in this role for the last 10 years and going back to my playing days, I’ve always tried to do everything I can to help the Broncos win and get better,” Elway said in a statement. “As part of a transition I’ve thought about for a long time, I have made the decision to step up into an elevated role and hire a general manager to lead our personnel and football staff.”

Elway said the new G.M. will have “final say on the draft, free agency and our roster.” He emphasized that the new hire will be working in partnership with head coach Vic Fangio to make football decisions.
I really like this tactic of firing yourself from the GM role while maintaining the role of authority over the GM.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
04 Jan 2021 14:53
Elway said the new G.M. will have “final say on the draft, free agency and our roster.” He emphasized that the new hire will be working in partnership with head coach Vic Fangio to make football decisions.
sounds like the new GM will have final say, as long as Fangio agrees :lol: and ol Horse face will still control everything, but from a office with two windows instead of one :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Very quiet chatter, but I have seen a few places listing Alonzo Highsmith as a candidate for GM in Houston and Eliot Wolf in Detroit.

Read More. Post Less.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Cdragon wrote:
04 Jan 2021 06:25
texas wrote:
04 Jan 2021 03:28
paco wrote:
03 Jan 2021 22:27
Hope Nate Hackett sticks around.
I would be shocked if he got a HC job. If there's one coordinator that nobody even knows exists, it's him. The networks show him like once or twice a season.

Most GMs aren't picking HCs by how much screen time they are getting. Helping create the top O and working with the MVP will get him plenty of notice. Of course being on the #1 seed is going to make it difficult for him to find time interview for the job. :banana:
He's overlooked by the networks for the same reason he will be overlooked by GMs and that is because everyone knows our offensive success is primarily due to Rodgers, and after this year, they can even give MLF a little credit too, but nobody actually thinks the OC matters much on a team like this.

I don't know how good or bad he is. Rodgers makes any OC look solid though.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

texas wrote:
05 Jan 2021 02:49
Cdragon wrote:
texas wrote:
04 Jan 2021 03:28

I would be shocked if he got a HC job. If there's one coordinator that nobody even knows exists, it's him. The networks show him like once or twice a season.

Most GMs aren't picking HCs by how much screen time they are getting. Helping create the top O and working with the MVP will get him plenty of notice. Of course being on the #1 seed is going to make it difficult for him to find time interview for the job. :banana:
He's overlooked by the networks for the same reason he will be overlooked by GMs and that is because everyone knows our offensive success is primarily due to Rodgers, and after this year, they can even give MLF a little credit too, but nobody actually thinks the OC matters much on a team like this.

It doesn't matter how much Rodgers or Lafleur gets credit for the O. If somebody wants to run our O they are looking for somebody who helped build it. This isn't Hackett's first successful O either. This is a, "I know that guy I worked with him," or "another guy I worked with, knows him and says he great," business. Let's bring him in and talk to him or in today's world zoom meet him. Joe Philbin got his shot running MM's 1980's O, and he had Mr. Rodgers too. Nobody though MM would get the Packers' job. How many people thought he'd get to screw the pooch with Dallas? Too many GMs dream they have the next Rodgers. Or have a QB they think they can fix or a young QB you need an RPO O that can get the ball out to make him look good.

Plus you are dealing with some billionaires, who believe they know everything and want to micromanage a team like, Jerry, Kahn, or Snyder. You have perrenial loser franchises you can't say what they are going to do other than, they'll probably blow it.

You always look at the most successful team in your division. Detroit is already dreaming of former Packer FO Schneider. Poaching from rivals is a time honored tradition. If I'm Detroit I'm as least trying to talk to this guy at worst you raise his profile and somebody may grab him next cycle. Hackett is now part of one of the hottest coaching trees. People are going to be kicking over rocks to find the next Shanahan disciple. How long before Mike Lafleur gets an OC job and a shot at HC? Hackett is going to be on somebody's radar whether he gets a call or not.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Cdragon wrote:
05 Jan 2021 06:40
texas wrote:
05 Jan 2021 02:49
Cdragon wrote:

It doesn't matter how much Rodgers or Lafleur gets credit for the O. If somebody wants to run our O they are looking for somebody who helped build it. This isn't Hackett's first successful O either. This is a, "I know that guy I worked with him," or "another guy I worked with, knows him and says he great," business. Let's bring him in and talk to him or in today's world zoom meet him. Joe Philbin got his shot running MM's 1980's O, and he had Mr. Rodgers too. Nobody though MM would get the Packers' job. How many people thought he'd get to screw the pooch with Dallas? Too many GMs dream they have the next Rodgers. Or have a QB they think they can fix or a young QB you need an RPO O that can get the ball out to make him look good.

Plus you are dealing with some billionaires, who believe they know everything and want to micromanage a team like, Jerry, Kahn, or Snyder. You have perrenial loser franchises you can't say what they are going to do other than, they'll probably blow it.

You always look at the most successful team in your division. Detroit is already dreaming of former Packer FO Schneider. Poaching from rivals is a time honored tradition. If I'm Detroit I'm as least trying to talk to this guy at worst you raise his profile and somebody may grab him next cycle. Hackett is now part of one of the hottest coaching trees. People are going to be kicking over rocks to find the next Shanahan disciple. How long before Mike Lafleur gets an OC job and a shot at HC? Hackett is going to be on somebody's radar whether he gets a call or not.
spot on, Hackett is on everyones radar, hell most of the coaches in the nfl where never heard of prior to becoming successful as a assistant, if I where Lafluer and Guty I figure out some way to promote him now, or he is bound to get offers we might have trouble matching.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Hackett was a Marrone protege before coming here. He clearly has not done a bad job, but he obviously is not generating much interest.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
04 Jan 2021 13:07
Oh man, those poor Jags fans. Shad needs to get his head out of his ass and step back. Unless his plan is to keep sucking and move the team?
London Jaguars? :banana:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

dsr wrote:
06 Jan 2021 06:19
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
04 Jan 2021 13:07
Oh man, those poor Jags fans. Shad needs to get his head out of his ass and step back. Unless his plan is to keep sucking and move the team?
London Jaguars? :banana:
I certainly think that is his dream.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

texas wrote:
06 Jan 2021 05:17
Hackett was a Marrone protege before coming here. He clearly has not done a bad job, but he obviously is not generating much interest.
It is early in the process at this point. Teams haven't named GMs yet. But by the time some of them get their acts together they'll want to grab a known commodity whose availible immediately and not somebody who is tied up with the SuperBowl! :woohoo:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
04 Jan 2021 16:04
Very quiet chatter, but I have seen a few places listing Alonzo Highsmith as a candidate for GM in Houston and Eliot Wolf in Detroit.
Nick Caserio gets the GM job in Houston.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

texas wrote:
06 Jan 2021 05:17
Still has some Jaguars stink on him. Remember the flack Kyle Shanahan was getting after failed stops in Houston and Cleveland and to a lesser extent Washington?

Obviously, Hackett comes from a WC offense family. His father, Paul Hackett comes from the Bill Walsh coaching tree. Mike McCarthy was taught by Paul Hackett. Interestingly enough, one of Doug Marrone's first NFL jobs was as the NYJ OL Coach... under Paul Hackett (OC). Marrone then was Sean Payton's first OC in New Orleans. Sean Payton was QB coach for Jon Gruden (OC) in Philly.

Also interestingly enough, I just read that both Nathaniel Hackett and Mike Shanahan had Offensive Quality Control positions for Jon Gruden (HC) in Tampa. Really interesting how these offenses are evolving while still all tying back from a few central sources. Our current offense seems to blend the best of all world's, the Shanahan, Hackett, and Holmgren (Gruden is really a blend of Hackett and Holmgren) trees.

Read More. Post Less.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I've always been a fan of Kyle Shanahan but yeah I remember the crap he took. I'm hoping MLF becomes the first one from that tree to win a Super Bowl. The hype for McVay was unreal (and it's why we even have MLF), and then the hype for Shanahan was a bit less (although I suspect he is slightly better than McVay), and now the hype for MLF is even less, but I am hoping MLF finishes the job his friends couldn't do. I'm a believer in that coaching tree because they all seem like they actually think and understand things rather than just coach and speak based on platitudes like many coaches do.

I also think MLF's January through May was masterful. I don't know if I will forget the ostensibly real dumbfoundedness he had when we got crushed by SF and the players acted like they normally have for the past 9 years whenever we get beaten in the playoffs. He legitimately was confused why his men would completely fail to show up, even though as packers fans we have sort of been used to it and didn't even really think twice. Like he actually believes in accountability instead of just using it as a buzzword. And then grabbing Jordan Love in order to both assert his dominance and also spark Rodgers was brilliant. Plus his offensive scheme isn't so bad either...

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
07 Jan 2021 04:24
And then grabbing Jordan Love in order to both assert his dominance and also spark Rodgers was brilliant. Plus his offensive scheme isn't so bad either...
ya, Rodgers needed that to happen to inspire him to try and win a SB, what a joke, and Lafluer had nothing to do with drafting Love, you can't even get that right.

as I said, and it's totally obvious, Rodgers has been wanting to do what he is doing now for a long time, he didn't need anyone to brow beat him to do it as you suggest, however it takes time to learn a new offense, and not just for him, there are 23 other offensive players that had to learn it to, no one had to assert any dominance here, wtf, that is so trollish.

in 30 or 40 years fans will remember Rodgers, so unless Lafluer and Guty continue to win after Rodgers is gone dominating wont be associated with either of them, and in 40 years the only place you'll find there mention is in the Packer HOF, yet every fan that ever sits in the stands at Lambeau will See Aaron Rodgers on the ring of honor, you use the word dominance in a sense that Rodgers needed to be controlled, does he look like someone that needs to be controlled? just the opposite, to me Rodgers looks to be controlling every game he plays in, and he and Lafluer are lock step, course that probably upsets you, hense yourhalf baked conspiracy theory's.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Hackett won’t get HC looks, although wouldn’t be surprised if he gets some OC interest where he would have the ability to call plays.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
07 Jan 2021 08:10
Hackett won’t get HC looks, although wouldn’t be surprised if he gets some OC interest where he would have the ability to call plays.
That rule still hasn't changed, has it? We can still say no.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
07 Jan 2021 08:16
BF004 wrote:
think so, he would have to be offered a promotion above just OC to OC and play caller, imo he'd also need to be promoted to assistant HC, which we should probably just do if he receives a offer.

I havn't checked but someone here ??? mentioned Hacketts resume, as a receivers coach, TE coach, I'd bet he even has some experience with ol blocking techniques, all quality's looked for as a HC.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
07 Jan 2021 08:16
BF004 wrote:
We won't, Lafleur made a huge career move to leave the comfort of the Rams and his OC in name only title to go take an OC job where he could call plays, and look how that paid off for him. He wouldn't deny anyone that same opportunity. Would be a bit of a scummy move, IMO, don't see that in him.

Also, pretty sure anyone could just throw an assistant HC title on the OC role if they wanted, no?

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

NCF wrote:
04 Jan 2021 16:04
E-Wolf has been in the GM rumor mill for years. Now I want him to land a GM job somewhere just so we can all find out if he's good at it. He's been in the business forever and has served in several high level roles. He should be as ready now as he'll ever be.