General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 13:47
NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2021 13:45
Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 13:38
There was and is still a contingent that bemoans the "lack" of star power.
I think that was fair on defense until Alexander solidified his spot as a superstar this season. Kenny, Z, and Jaire make a nice group. You still would really love a second-level player to join that group, but we are still a long ways away from that.
Amos, Savage definitely in that 2nd level player group.

Preston took a step down.
I meant second-level as in LB. We have a star (stars) on the front and a star on the back end, but most elite defenses have one at every level.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
There was and is still a contingent that bemoans the "lack" of star power.
I think that was fair on defense until Alexander solidified his spot as a superstar this season. Kenny, Z, and Jaire make a nice group. You still would really love a second-level player to join that group, but we are still a long ways away from that.
I mean Savage isn't a blue. But lordy Savage and Amos right now is the best safety tandem in the league and the postseason will give them the opportunity to jump as clear stars like 2010 did to Nick Collins.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2021 13:52
Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 13:47
NCF wrote:

Amos, Savage definitely in that 2nd level player group.

Preston took a step down.
I meant second-level as in LB. We have a star (stars) on the front and a star on the back end, but most elite defenses have one at every level.
Ah, gotcha. I thought you meant 2nd level as in red.

Ya, having a 2nd level or top tier ILB would be nice. We would probably be talking about a top 3 defense instead of a top 10.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 13:22
I really don't want to lose Linsley, I think he is my FA priority #1.

One of the last things Ted did before stepping down, was extending both Davante and Linsley, in like December if I recall. Not bad decisions.

So lets just say you could sign any of Jones, Linsley or King, any of them would sign a 3 year 39 million deal, which I think is actually realistic. How would everyone rank them?

King the worst player at the most important position with really no depth whatsoever.

Linsley might be the best player, 2nd most important position, where we do have reasonable alternatives on roster.

Jones might be the best player, probably least important position where we did just invest a 2nd round.

I feel like we've seen the last decade what it is like when you have liabilities at CB's, almost insurmountable to field a competent D.

I feel like we've seen when we've had liabilities on the interior OL, worst offenses we've ever had and lead to our HC being fired.

I feel like we've seen what we've had with marginal RB talent, we won a Super and went 15-1 the next year. We were still playing in January nearly every year even with bad RB's.

Take that for what you will.
1. Aaron Jones.
2. Corey Linsley
3. Kevin King

It's Aaron Jones as priority Number 1 for me and it' not close. He just does too many things valuable. He gets us yards when yards are not there which is what you pay your top players to do. You pay them to get production when production is not there. Take last Sunday and that 2nd drive....Jones breaks three tackles to get a first down when Rodgers needed to just get rid of the ball because the Oline screwed up. Jones kept the drive going which led to 7 points and Jones covered the mistake of the Oline blocking poorly.

Jones also is such a threat in the passing game and the combination of Jones and Dillon is too intriguing for me.

Corey is the best center I have ever seen in GB; however, we have never had a season where Center was a liability. The worst center play I can really remember, outside of 2005, was Jeff Saturday until EDS stepped in. But we really have always been successful from one center to another. Jenkins is clearly a step down from Linsley but between Jenkins, a draft pick and other options to fill in at guard already at our disposal, I think Jones needs to be priority.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Linsley at all costs. Jones offer something fair and inform him we want to match.

Don't resign King.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I think of the three, Kevin King is going to net us the best comp pick while being the easiest to replace. Honestly, do we think a rookie CB, while taking his lumps, is going to be any more inconsistent than King still is to this day?

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I also think Linsley is probably the easiest to replace, but I would want to know the long-term plan. If Runyan is in the plans and we draft a long-term RT, then I think it is a little more important to re-sign Linsley and keep some consistency. But, if the plan is ride Turner/Wagner another year and then go out and buy a new RT, then I think you can maybe let Linsley walk and start some of the re-shuffling now.

Bak under contract, Jenkins going to be expensive as hell... can't pay them all, so where are you going to save in the next 3-4 years? Personally, I like the thought of keeping Linsley at OC, allowing Jenkins to still be a flexible piece, and then home growing that next guy along with Runyan. Still not out of the realm of possibility that Jenkins becomes our RT although I do like him better in the interior long-term.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
King isn't worth anything close to $13M/year.
NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:13
I think of the three, Kevin King is going to net us the best comp pick.

Interesting.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:17
YoHoChecko wrote:
NCF wrote:
Interesting.
Don't confuse it. Those two statements are not contradictory.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:17
YoHoChecko wrote:
NCF wrote:

Interesting.
Both can be true. We can believe King isn't worth $13 million for us, but someone can give him that or more.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

King will be hard to replace at corner. There is not doubt there, a rookie will not do it unless we get very lucky.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I think that is quite naive of all who think that then, King is bad enough we shouldn't even try to resign him, nowhere near 13 million a year, yet he's gunna get paid on the market more than what Jones or Linsley will get.

Think we are either grossly underestimating how good King actually is here, or grossly overestimate what he'll get on the FA market. If he is as bad as people say he is in GB, he isn't going to get paid.

I think we are going to miss him when he is gone.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Guys Kevin King is not getting rich (by NFL standards) this offseason.

Like, he's not going to get paid like a top CB. He doesn't have a reputation for playing well or staying healthy. I don't understand this. Like, he might be looking at a 1-year $7 million "prove-it" deal while the cap is low. I think he's not the most likely to leave because he might be cheap enough to keep.

I can't imagine he'll get paid for his ceiling when he's been what he's been publicly for 4 years.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:21
I think that is quite naive of all who think that then, King is bad enough we shouldn't even try to resign him, nowhere near 13 million a year, yet he's gunna get paid on the market more than what Jones or Linsley will get.

Think we are either grossly underestimating how good King actually is here, or grossly overestimate what he'll get on the FA market. If he is as bad as people say he is in GB, he isn't going to get paid.

I know you qualified your scenario before saying we could get King back for $13M, but I really don't think that is true. Such a weird situation where we have two stalwarts, Packer-people, at non-premium positions and a guy, oft-injured, lunch-pail kind of guy at a premium position. I have no problem with Kevin King, I just think he gets way more in the neighborhood of $16M/year and I am not going there. I also kind of think, all tied together, sacrificing King might allow us to keep the other two because of the positions they play.

I also think we will replace King easily enough. We have had relative success without him already and Gutekunst, as opposed to Ted, has really shown a willingness to throw resources at needs. Maybe it's not a 1st-round draft pick, but maybe it's a 3rd and a 5th and a veteran on the tail-end of his career. I just think we can throw some stuff there and something will stick.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:27
I also think we will replace King easily enough. We have had relative success without him already and Gutekunst, as opposed to Ted, has really shown a willingness to throw resources at needs. Maybe it's not a 1st-round draft pick, but maybe it's a 3rd and a 5th and a veteran on the tail-end of his career. I just think we can throw some stuff there and something will stick.
:aok:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Linsley is the easiest to replace and his recent back problems are concerning for a 3rd contract in GB.
I'd bet against him getting another deal in Titletown. He's awesome - but he was a 5th rounder and the delta between his play and his replacement isn't large enough to warrant a multi-year deal at $ 9-10 M/yr.

Lucas Patrick, Jenkins, Hanson= 3 deep at Center and GB has comp picks in 4th, 5th to find another candidate. Love the guy, but you can't keep them all and GB has drafted really well at that position with both Linsley and Tretter becoming high end NFL starters. Even UDFA EDS had a decent career
IT. IS. TIME

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:24
We very much disagree here, then. He's a press-corner coming off a rookie contract where he has shown a lot of promise despite inconsistency. I say much closer to $1M/game than what you are suggesting.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:21

I completely agree that Kevin King is good enough to get paid, but I don't want to pay. I don't want to pay for his injuries and inconsistency. We will miss him when he is gone unless we get lucky.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Kind of weird that I just assumed we were all on the same page and yet there are some really interesting differing opinions from a lot of us.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:24

Like, he's not going to get paid like a top CB. He doesn't have a reputation for playing well or staying healthy. I don't understand this. Like, he might be looking at a 1-year $7 million "prove-it" deal while the cap is low. I think he's not the most likely to leave because he might be cheap enough to keep.

I can't imagine he'll get paid for his ceiling when he's been what he's been publicly for 4 years.
I will guarantee he gets an average of $10 million a year. GUARANTEE IT (no bet if he is injured between now and March).