General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:27
BF004 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:21
I think that is quite naive of all who think that then, King is bad enough we shouldn't even try to resign him, nowhere near 13 million a year, yet he's gunna get paid on the market more than what Jones or Linsley will get.

Think we are either grossly underestimating how good King actually is here, or grossly overestimate what he'll get on the FA market. If he is as bad as people say he is in GB, he isn't going to get paid.

I think we are going to miss him when he is gone.
I know you qualified your scenario before saying we could get King back for $13M, but I really don't think that is true. Such a weird situation where we have two stalwarts, Packer-people, at non-premium positions and a guy, oft-injured, lunch-pail kind of guy at a premium position. I have no problem with Kevin King, I just think he gets way more in the neighborhood of $16M/year and I am not going there. I also kind of think, all tied together, sacrificing King might allow us to keep the other two because of the positions they play.

I also think we will replace King easily enough. We have had relative success without him already and Gutekunst, as opposed to Ted, has really shown a willingness to throw resources at needs. Maybe it's not a 1st-round draft pick, but maybe it's a 3rd and a 5th and a veteran on the tail-end of his career. I just think we can throw some stuff there and something will stick.
The only thing I disagree with is easily replacing him. We don't have that guy on the roster. A rookie will not do it. We can't afford a free agent if we sign Linsley/Jones.

That last one will be interesting given the cap situation.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:29
NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:27
I also think we will replace King easily enough. We have had relative success without him already and Gutekunst, as opposed to Ted, has really shown a willingness to throw resources at needs. Maybe it's not a 1st-round draft pick, but maybe it's a 3rd and a 5th and a veteran on the tail-end of his career. I just think we can throw some stuff there and something will stick.
:aok:
I think its silly that after the last decade we can think it is simply easy to find an above average cornerback. Elite CB's can maybe impact the game more than anybody, part of the reason they get paid so well, but I think the bigger reason is that it is a position where you can afford to have below average talent or liabilities.

Similar to a left tackle, I think an average LT to an elite isn't that big a of different, but it is really damn hard to find an average left tackle and if you don't have that, its is really really hard to run your offense the way you want to.

And on top of that, we have no real depth, no one ready to start, we are banking on a 6th rounder who has shown nothing and a 2nd rounder who is frequently a healthy scratch, and maybe a couple of rookies. How did that work out for Minnesota this year?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:24
Guys Kevin King is not getting rich (by NFL standards) this offseason.

Like, he's not going to get paid like a top CB. He doesn't have a reputation for playing well or staying healthy. I don't understand this. Like, he might be looking at a 1-year $7 million "prove-it" deal while the cap is low. I think he's not the most likely to leave because he might be cheap enough to keep.

I can't imagine he'll get paid for his ceiling when he's been what he's been publicly for 4 years.
I think it might be more likely to see some 2 year prove-it type deals.

Just signing a guy for like 8 million this year, gunna cost you 8 million on that cap. Can just as easily give some 2 for 20 with only a 6 million hit this year with little intentions of keeping them a 2nd year, but just to spread out the cap hits and just take the 2 million of dead cap the following year.

Might be how we'd want to finagle some type of starting caliber corner ourselves.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Here is the current top of the market. I really have to think on the open market, Kevin King, at 25 years old, is pushing to join this club.
image.png
image.png (62.27 KiB) Viewed 590 times

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:35
How did that work out for Minnesota this year?
Not terribly. I think that group got a lot better as the season went on. We aren't replacing the entire group, we would be replacing a second starter next to one of the best in the game.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:41
Here is the current top of the market. I really have to think on the open market, Kevin King, at 25 years old, is pushing to join this club.
Agreed. No way he gets paid outside the top 20.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:43
BF004 wrote:
How did that work out for Minnesota this year?
Not terribly. I think that group got a lot better as the season went on. We aren't replacing the entire group, we would be replacing a second starter next to one of the best in the game.
I would say just a step up from not terribly. It was not good. While they did get better, they certainly were not even in the realm of what King has given us.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
I think its silly that after the last decade we can think it is simply easy to find an above average cornerback.
That 2015 Draft set us back years, but really, as part of a longer-term plan, it was allowing Casey Hayward to walk and losing Sam Shields to career ending injuries that really did us in. We have been snake-bitten, but starting with King and now Jaire, we have shown that these guys are out there and not necessarily at the very top of The Draft.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:41

image.png
But nobody thinks King is anywhere near as good as those guys?

Like honestly, where outside of Packers forums have you ever even heard King's name? He's a nobody. I could see him getting $10M, but $16? even 13? God, that seems so insane. It's just totally banking on him being a player he's never been before. In a tight cap year.

Like King is a guy. He's a guy who flashes brilliance but isn't at all brilliant. I don't understand. Like if I walked up to any NFL fan outside the NFC North and asked them who Kevin King plays for, I bet 3/4 wouldn't know the name.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Care to throw some forum bling on that? Over/under $10 million a year.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:59
If you put the line at 10.5 I'll take the under and make a bet. We could even bet a dynasty 4th if you want

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:56
Like honestly, where outside of Packers forums have you ever even heard King's name? He's a nobody. I could see him getting $10M, but $16? even 13? God, that seems so insane. It's just totally banking on him being a player he's never been before. In a tight cap year.
Maybe most comparable to James Bradberry in terms of career trajectory. I stay current on NFL happenings, but I had no idea who he was last year and he got what he got from the NYG. Had a really nice season this year, too, so apparently they knew what they were doing, but that is part of the point. Good CB's don't hit the market at 25 years old and when they do, they get paid a big premium.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2021 15:01
Pckfn23 wrote:
If you put the line at 10.5 I'll take the under and make a bet. We could even bet a dynasty 4th if you want
Oh come on, you just said $7 million a few posts ago! You also said he wasn't even close to a top 20 guy! $10 million

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 15:06
YoHoChecko wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Oh come on, you just said $7 million a few posts ago! You also said he wasn't even close to a top 20 guy! $10 million
I said he might! only get $7 million as a prove-it.

There's a difference between a "this is a possibility" and "this is my betting line."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2021 15:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 15:06
YoHoChecko wrote:

I said he might! only get $7 million as a prove-it.

There's a difference between a "this is a possibility" and "this is my betting line."
You also said he wasn't anywhere near the group NCF posted! $10 million!

I would set it at $12 or $13 million if it wasn't for this weird cap year coming up.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 15:16

I would set it at $12 or $13 million if it wasn't for this weird cap year coming up.
Yeah, and NCF's list bottomed out at $14 M

$10.5 million.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I actually think Kevin King is a player that Packers fans are harder on than other fans are which are guilty of.

I think Kevin King is a better play than Trae Waynes for instance. Availability has been King's largest issue but when avaialble, he has been solid and teams will like that. If you are a team that has bad CB play....King has value.

King is a lower end #1 and higher end #2 CB. 3 CBs are generally viewed as starters. I just don't see how he doesn't get less than $11 Million a year. I also think rookie CBs can come in and play well if they are the right pick. For example, King and Alexander both showed their rookie years they belonged. Even D. Randle had us all excited after 2015.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2021 15:20
Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 15:16

Yeah, and NCF's list bottomed out at $14 M

$10.5 million.
Top 20 average contract is $10 million in 2020. You saying King is better than top 20?

$10 million

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Chicago moved the ball on King all game.

Let him go. Sign a cheaper vet and draft - another first or second.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
06 Jan 2021 15:39
Chicago moved the ball on King all game.

Let him go. Sign a cheaper vet and draft - another first or second.
Really? I know Robinson bested King twice. One Robinson got open but the other Robinson made a daring catch on 4th down in garbage time. King also had two passes defended.

I would say Chicago by and large got 5 yard short passes that were targeted towards Sullivan and King occasionally but also went to the TE Kmet a lot. Savage also let the big play.

I wouldn't say King was a liability though vs Chicago at all. He got bested by Robinson on a route. Robinson caught a deep ball on King who had good coverage and King whiffed on a shoulder tackle.

You also could say King should have had a pick...but Alexander also should have had a pick.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.