General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

mnpackerbacker
Reactions:

Post by mnpackerbacker »

Thoughts through all of this on how we manage the cap, not just for next year, but beyond?

We are currently 21 mil over the cap for next season, and that's without Jones/Linsley/King. Bakh was extended, which we are happy about. But in addition to Jones/Linsley/King, before long we will have expiring contracts for Davante Adams and Jaire Alexander. And he haven't mentioned Lazard yet. I'd gather a lot of fans may consider him expendable, and draft another #2 receiver, but I'd hate to lose him. And Davante? Enough said. Jaire is the lockdown corner we have been craving for the longest time. Need to keep those two.

Before drafting Love, I envisioned restructuring Rodger's contract and having him retire a Packer, freeing up some necessary cap space and making the fan base happy. His performance this season has nobody looking forward to his days being numbered. But I'm sure AR is none too happy about the Love drafting, still. Trade Love and restructure/extend AR, and draft our QB of the future in subsequent drafts? That would force management to concede drafting Love was a mistake, at least premature.

Zadarius? Candidate for a restructure? His cap number next season is 16 mil. May be a possibility. Preston Smith has 8 mil of dead money next season. Even releasing him would only be a partial cap relief. Many have pointed to his production being down from last season. I think he 's still a force. Releasing someone like Lowry would free up a relatively minimal amount of cap space.

Somebody smarter than me, please tell me what we are going to do, long term.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Bakh gets a simple restructure planned at the time of his extension, saves a ton. Z probably, too, as you said. Push a ton into 2022-4, let the TV deal windfall bail us out (also planned), and then when Rodgers leaves in 23 or 24, we're back in good shape. The tv deal and the end of Rodgers career, plus some basic restructurings, will get the job done.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Don't believe that the Salary cap will drop $25 million next season, it won't.

The Packers have $201.5 million in cap taken up, minus $4 million in roll over.

I would say the cap will stay pretty stagnant from 2020 to 2021, so the Packers will be right up against it.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 15:27
Top 20 average contract is $10 million in 2020. You saying King is better than top 20?

$10 million
Ok, fine, $10M but not for any dynasty picks. I'll do a signature bet or something no problem

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2021 16:30
Pckfn23 wrote:
Top 20 average contract is $10 million in 2020. You saying King is better than top 20?

$10 million
Ok, fine, $10M but not for any dynasty picks. I'll do a signature bet or something no problem
:aok: Avatar bet only. Loser gets the Gomer Pyle? From his signing until start of camp 2021?

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 16:50
YoHoChecko wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

$10 million
:aok: Avatar bet only. Loser gets the Gomer Pyle? From his signing until start of camp 2021?

Deal.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2021 17:04
Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 16:50
YoHoChecko wrote:

Deal.
If it's 10 on the nuts we both wear it!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:41
Here is the current top of the market. I really have to think on the open market, Kevin King, at 25 years old, is pushing to join this club.

image.png
Yeah. Its going to be highway robbery. King is average.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Fans not the only ones lamenting soft coverage: https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021 ... rs-week-17

It's getting better and hope it's even better for the next 3 games!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 20:54
Fans not the only ones lamenting soft coverage: https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021 ... rs-week-17

It's getting better and hope it's even better for the next 3 games!
Thanks for sharing this! This is so good.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
28 Dec 2020 09:35
Also, I am calling that there will be fans in January for Packer football.

Wisconsin
image.png

Brown County
image.png

:munch: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :clap: :clap: :clap: :aok: :aok: :aok: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :munch: :munch: :munch: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :munch: :munch: :banana:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (31.79 KiB) Viewed 640 times

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 23:34
BF004 wrote:
28 Dec 2020 09:35
Also, I am calling that there will be fans in January for Packer football.

Wisconsin
image.png

Brown County
image.png

:munch: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :clap: :clap: :clap: :aok: :aok: :aok: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :munch: :munch: :munch: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :munch: :munch: :banana:

image.jpeg
Bad ass. I’m assuming they won’t allow any close to the field to prevent Covid. Probably won’t have any Lambeau leaps but who cares. Fans are fans.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Nervous, haven’t seen anything reputable yet, just people parroting the same headline.

But it’s like yes Corey, we are all on Twitter, we are all hearing that.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

:rotf: :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

:clap: :clap:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Ooh, nice presser line up today.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Happy Matt LaFleur Day, everyone!!

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
07 Jan 2021 10:46
Happy Matt LaFleur Day, everyone!!

I WANTED FANGIO!!!!

Mark Murphy is putting himeself too much in power and meddling and making decisions he doesn't belong.

Horrible head coach pick.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2021 21:56
Thanks for sharing this! This is so good.
thx for posting that article pckfn23 and I wanted to offer a comment on the soft coverage from Pettine. When these things happen, I try to understand the WHY part of it. I come at this from the concept that Pettine isn't dumb, he has to have a reason WHY he makes these calls. First off, you can't do the same thing all the time, so you're always going to see a mix of coverages on 3rd and short ( press vs off) otherwise its too easy on the QB to defeat- there has to be some uncertainty.

But the bigger issue for me is from the strategic POV. IF you have AR and the number 1 offense on the other side of the ball, then your main concern isn't giving up dink and dunk- the only way you're going to get beat is over the top. And Pettine has said this on many occasions

How do you wish to die ?

By giving up the short stuff, they are forcing the opponents to matriculate down the field and that takes a lot of time and increases the chances for mistakes, penalties, turnovers. By playing off coverage on 3rd and short, in some ways the defense is dictating to the offense what they should do. Many times you'll hear OCs say " take what they are giving you" and even Packer fans lament when Rodgers passes up the short completion in favor of a bigger play. By "giving" them the easy completion, you've essentially eliminated the deep throws on that play. There's no reason to take the higher risk, especially with Trubisky under center.

From a strategic POV, there are several ways to guard against the deep throws, including Cover 2 and others. This is just another technique to prevent the explosive plays and GB has cut down on those immensely in 2020 vs 2019. Explosive plays are what lead to points

The other advantage to this technique is that it allows you to deploy Savage/Amos in other areas instead of babysitting 20 yards from the LOS- By "giving up" the short stuff, it frees the safeties and Pettine's use of them

Now, I know its not something you want to do all the time and MLF and others have suggested they'd like to see some different techniques deployed. I think we're all on board with that concept. But I am pushing back on the idea that its ALWAYS dumb to play off coverage on short yardage plays- there really are some strategic benefits to using that technique as part of your arsenal

Flip it around- what does AR do when he sees a guy playing press vs Adams ? He freezes the safety with his eyes and goes over the top for a huge play. So what did that defense gain by pressing up tight the way the fans are clamoring for ?

They got their asses beat deep and we're back to: How do you want to die ?
With MVP Rodgers, the answer is: make them convert a lot of smaller plays and string together an entire drive and then force the FG or punt
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lol