Black Monday / Blacker Sunday?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

I have to think Hackett will be an attractive OC option for one of the new staffs that hires a defensive minded coach. Landing an OC gig with play calling duties seems like the next step for Hackett, and I would not expect the GB brain trust to block that kind of move.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Mazrimiv wrote:
07 Jan 2021 09:41
I have to think Hackett will be an attractive OC option for one of the new staffs that hires a defensive minded coach. Landing an OC gig with play calling duties seems like the next step for Hackett, and I would not expect the GB brain trust to block that kind of move.
I could see that. I’m sure Hackett has value here but if he goes I think everything operates the same. We still have a top 5 play designer in LaFleur. I would assume Stenavich would fill the OC role. That man is a wizard as an OL coach.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Jan 2021 10:03
I could see that. I’m sure Hackett has value here but if he goes I think everything operates the same. We still have a top 5 play designer in LaFleur. I would assume Stenavich would fill the OC role. That man is a wizard as an OL coach.
I would hate to lose Stenavich more than Hackett.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Mazrimiv wrote:
07 Jan 2021 10:08
lupedafiasco wrote:
I would hate to lose Stenavich more than Hackett.
me too, course I hate to lose anyone, in fact I don't think ya should have to let a assistant go under contract unless you've just won a SB :nono: :rotf:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BACK THE $%@# OFF!!

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

mf

Shocked he is only 41, didn't think he was old, but really thought he's been around the block for a while.

Also didn't realize he was assistant HC in Jacksonville, even right when he started as OL coach.

Did he call plays in Jacksonville when he was OC? Or in Buffalo?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
07 Jan 2021 11:04
Did he call plays in Jacksonville when he was OC? Or in Buffalo?
He did and got scapegoated because of Blake Bortles.
Maybe he’s being dismissed by some because he was unceremoniously sacked in Jacksonville after Blake Bortles turned into, well, Blake Bortles a year after the Jaguars came oh-so-close to the Super Bowl but make no mistake about it, Hackett can coach.

Jacksonville’s offense actually got even worse after Hackett was dismissed 11 games into the 2018 season, dropping to a measly average of 9.6 points per game while they averaged 17.9 points per game in the first 11 contests. It’s also worth noting Hackett called the plays in Jacksonville despite head coach Doug Marrone’s offensive pedigree. The fact that Hackett got so close to a Super Bowl with Bortles is further testament to his coaching acumen. Hackett employed a run-heavy attack in Jacksonville, likely to keep Bortles hidden and minimize the opportunity for the quarterback to make crippling mistakes.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2020 ... rs-offense

Read More. Post Less.

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

If not for his history there, I would have looked at JAX and a good landing spot for Hackett. Bringing Lawrence along with a young group of WR's and a solid young RB should be right in Hackett's sweet spot.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I still think it is funny we have the exact 2013 Buffalo Bills coordinators, a 6-10 team, and we have gone 26-6 in 2019 and 2020.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Mazrimiv wrote:
07 Jan 2021 11:14
If not for his history there, I would have looked at JAX and a good landing spot for Hackett. Bringing Lawrence along with a young group of WR's and a solid young RB should be right in Hackett's sweet spot.
Damn hard to imagine turning down a salary bump from like $800,000 to $9,000,000 salary and near $40-50 million guaranteed, but you really only (large majority of the time) get 1 head coaching chance.

Given Khan said he will have final say on roster and already having somewhat of a puppet GM there, I am not sure I would take that job there. You get one chance, just any chance of success there is so minimal. If I am only 41, I would definitely strongly consider waiting.

Atlanta would be 100x more appealing destination, so can't fault him at all there.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
07 Jan 2021 11:15
I still think it is funny we have the exact 2013 Buffalo Bills coordinators, a 6-10 team, and we have gone 26-6 in 2019 and 2020.
That is funny. Although, only one position coach carried over from either coordinators staff. Jason Vrable, our current WR coach, was a Quality Control coach under Hackett.

Read More. Post Less.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

BF004 wrote:
07 Jan 2021 11:18
Mazrimiv wrote:
Damn hard to imagine turning down a salary bump from like $800,000 to $9,000,000 salary and near $40-50 million guaranteed, but you really only (large majority of the time) get 1 head coaching chance.

Given Khan said he will have final say on roster and already having somewhat of a puppet GM there, I am not sure I would take that job there. You get one chance, just any chance of success there is so minimal. If I am only 41, I would definitely strongly consider waiting.

Atlanta would be 100x more appealing destination, so can't fault him at all there.
Often times working for a guy like Kahn or Snyder gives you cover. "My vision of what the team should have been was totally interferred with. Nobody could have been successful." You drop back to an OC or DC for awhile and you get another chance at HC later.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm not sure if this is super appropriate or not, but I'm betting the Falcons hire a black coach and GM. Their early interview lists were 100% people of color for both positions (at least 3 candidates per job). I'm not saying they've predetermined that outcome, but they have set themselves up to have a high chance of that outcome. It makes a lot of sense for their city and their culture in this time, with enough strong candidates to do so.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

BF004 wrote:
Mazrimiv wrote:
Come on, really?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
Mazrimiv wrote:

I feel bad for any coach or GM that goes to places like Detroit, Jacs, the Jets, even Wash, teams with owners that don't give a crap, or do and have no idea what it takes to be successful.

I think your salary's are to low for assistant coaches ( 80 k) and to high for HC's ( 40 mil guaranteed)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

All HC contracts all fully guaranteed, right?

Oh sure, just looked it up, Matt is getting 5.5 per year for 5 years. 5th year club option, so 22 million guaranteed I’m guessing. That is also on the low end for a zero experience HC.

Thought he was getting like 8-9 million per.

McCarthy was getting 8 at the end here. Cant find what he got in big D.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
08 Jan 2021 11:18
Oh sure, just looked it up, Matt is getting 5.5 per year for 5 years. 5th year club option, so 22 million guaranteed I’m guessing. That is also on the low end for a zero experience HC.

Thought he was getting like 8-9 million per.

McCarthy was getting 8 at the end here. Cant find what he got in big D.
Yeah, experienced HC get some huge money, like I think Gruden has $10/year.

But considering that we're sspecifically talking about the kind of jump Hackett might get going from OC to to HC, going from average OC pay (around $1 million) to first-time HC pay (around $5-6 million) would be the proper comparison.

I think quintupling your annual income is enough to make the point without exagerration.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Yoop wrote:
08 Jan 2021 11:00
BF004 wrote:
Mazrimiv wrote:

I feel bad for any coach or GM that goes to places like Detroit, Jacs, the Jets, even Wash, teams with owners that don't give a crap, or do and have no idea what it takes to be successful.

I think your salary's are to low for assistant coaches ( 80 k) and to high for HC's ( 40 mil guaranteed)
The biggest thing at many of those places is even if they get the right GM and right Coach they never get the time to turn the ship around. There is a new Ford in charge so we'll see how much patience Sheila Ford Hemp has with the kitties.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Cdragon wrote:
05 Jan 2021 06:40
texas wrote:
05 Jan 2021 02:49
Cdragon wrote:
04 Jan 2021 06:25

Most GMs aren't picking HCs by how much screen time they are getting. Helping create the top O and working with the MVP will get him plenty of notice. Of course being on the #1 seed is going to make it difficult for him to find time interview for the job. :banana:
He's overlooked by the networks for the same reason he will be overlooked by GMs and that is because everyone knows our offensive success is primarily due to Rodgers, and after this year, they can even give MLF a little credit too, but nobody actually thinks the OC matters much on a team like this.

I don't know how good or bad he is. Rodgers makes any OC look solid though.
It doesn't matter how much Rodgers or Lafleur gets credit for the O. If somebody wants to run our O they are looking for somebody who helped build it. This isn't Hackett's first successful O either. This is a, "I know that guy I worked with him," or "another guy I worked with, knows him and says he great," business. Let's bring him in and talk to him or in today's world zoom meet him. Joe Philbin got his shot running MM's 1980's O, and he had Mr. Rodgers too. Nobody though MM would get the Packers' job. How many people thought he'd get to screw the pooch with Dallas? Too many GMs dream they have the next Rodgers. Or have a QB they think they can fix or a young QB you need an RPO O that can get the ball out to make him look good.

Plus you are dealing with some billionaires, who believe they know everything and want to micromanage a team like, Jerry, Kahn, or Snyder. You have perrenial loser franchises you can't say what they are going to do other than, they'll probably blow it.

You always look at the most successful team in your division. Detroit is already dreaming of former Packer FO Schneider. Poaching from rivals is a time honored tradition. If I'm Detroit I'm as least trying to talk to this guy at worst you raise his profile and somebody may grab him next cycle. Hackett is now part of one of the hottest coaching trees. People are going to be kicking over rocks to find the next Shanahan disciple. How long before Mike Lafleur gets an OC job and a shot at HC? Hackett is going to be on somebody's radar whether he gets a call or not.
Looks like I was about as wrong as you could possibly be

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Mazrimiv wrote:
07 Jan 2021 09:41
I think they would be more likely to give the promotion to Getsy.
But Getsy's situation could change soon, perhaps as early as this year. Nathaniel Hackett, the Packers' current offensive coordinator, met with the Atlanta Falcons last week to discuss their head-coaching vacancy. If Hackett lands the job, Getsy would find himself in an advantageous position. Given his extended time with Rodgers, Getsy would immediately become the most logical in-house candidate to replace Hackett in Green Bay. Additionally, Getsy could potentially follow Hackett to Atlanta, a move the Packers likely could not block under the league's updated hiring rules. Either scenario would make Getsy an NFL offensive coordinator for the first time and, in all probability, put him on the head-coaching radar as a result.
https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-pac ... 159027067/

Read More. Post Less.