General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

It's probably more realistic to think soccer could eventually overtake the NFL in US popularity than to think the NFL will ever take hold in China. Why would any other country even attempt to start playing American football? Our friendly neighbors to the North (God bless 'em) have been trying their best for years, and they still suck at it. Leave the Chinese to their ping pong and badminton. They're fine.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Christo wrote:
07 Jan 2021 15:43
BF004 wrote:
07 Jan 2021 14:47
Christo wrote:
07 Jan 2021 14:38

I believe a good portion of they're money comes from China. Last I checked, the NFL has no following there.
And as for gambling SKYROCKETING, it won't last for long if you start intentionally throwing games.
Believe me, the NFL is aware there are untapped billions sitting overseas for them to dig into.
I have no doubt the NFL is aware of that. whether or not the Chinese ever gain an interest in the game is another question.
The NFL has been around a lot longer, yet still remains on the outside there.
I thinking getting a team in London would change lot if that ever happens.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

BF004 wrote:
07 Jan 2021 15:58
Christo wrote:
BF004 wrote:
07 Jan 2021 14:47

Believe me, the NFL is aware there are untapped billions sitting overseas for them to dig into.
I have no doubt the NFL is aware of that. whether or not the Chinese ever gain an interest in the game is another question.
The biggest problem with London is travel and taxes. Every game played in London is going to be tied to the bye week. If for any reason a game is postponed, the make up date is going to be impossible.
And the taxes in England are insane. Unless the league works out a deal with them, players and teams are going to be gouged.
Compare a player living in Tennessee and a player in England. Both making the same money, but the guy in London is giving 30% more in taxes?
I don't think anyone is going to be clamoring to play there.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Christo wrote:
07 Jan 2021 16:23
BF004 wrote:
Christo wrote:

The biggest problem with London is travel and taxes. Every game played in London is going to be tied to the bye week. If for any reason a game is postponed, the make up date is going to be impossible.
And the taxes in England are insane. Unless the league works out a deal with them, players and teams are going to be gouged.
Compare a player living in Tennessee and a player in England. Both making the same money, but the guy in London is giving 30% more in taxes?
I agree with you here. Plus it's just such a culture shock. I don't see a positive for London having its own team. I don't mind brining our best over there for that 17th neutral game, but having an established team there puts them at a disadvantage and waters down our product. The NFL at its heart is still a regional sport. Keep that regional passion alive.

Don't chase it out of our country. I could see Canada. But London is just too far away.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Mazrimiv wrote:
07 Jan 2021 15:56
It's probably more realistic to think soccer could eventually overtake the NFL in US popularity than to think the NFL will ever take hold in China. Why would any other country even attempt to start playing American football? Our friendly neighbors to the North (God bless 'em) have been trying their best for years, and they still suck at it. Leave the Chinese to their ping pong and badminton. They're fine.
Sometimes it's best to just leave well enough alone. The NFL has tried to expand into markets that just don't have any interest in the sport.
Europe and Mexico come to mind. The average Mexican citizen has zero interest in pro football. It's not played there in high school, there are very few fields made for it and it will never come close to soccer there. Even MLB struggles to get a foothold there. Why waste the time and money?

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
07 Jan 2021 16:28
Christo wrote:
BF004 wrote:

I agree with you here. Plus it's just such a culture shock. I don't see a positive for London having its own team. I don't mind brining our best over there for that 17th neutral game, but having an established team there puts them at a disadvantage and waters down our product. The NFL at its heart is still a regional sport. Keep that regional passion alive.

Don't chase it out of our country. I could see Canada. But London is just too far away.
I'm not sure Canada would ever work. It's always going to be a distant second to Hockey. Like someone else said, the CFL has been trying for decades and still no big following. All sports are tied to young kids, and kids just don't play in up there.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Christo wrote:
07 Jan 2021 16:46
go pak go wrote:
Christo wrote:

I'm not sure Canada would ever work. It's always going to be a distant second to Hockey. Like someone else said, the CFL has been trying for decades and still no big following. All sports are tied to young kids, and kids just don't play in up there.
It could work. The Bills are essentially a hybrid of both sides of the river anyways. That would be the kind of Canada I am talking about.

I don't think we will see that for a while though again because of the Bills success.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
07 Jan 2021 16:48
Christo wrote:
go pak go wrote:

It could work. The Bills are essentially a hybrid of both sides of the river anyways. That would be the kind of Canada I am talking about.

I don't think we will see that for a while though again because of the Bills success.
Maybe, but that's a small slice of the country. Outside of that area, nobody seems to care.
Another problem for Canada is weather. All stadiums would have to be domes. And the cost for them is going to be crazy.
It would be financial suicide for some of the cities to pluck down the billions it costs for them.
One thing we know for sure is, most owners don't like paying for they're own stadiums.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Christo wrote:
07 Jan 2021 17:07
go pak go wrote:
07 Jan 2021 16:48
Christo wrote:

Maybe, but that's a small slice of the country. Outside of that area, nobody seems to care.
Another problem for Canada is weather. All stadiums would have to be domes. And the cost for them is going to be crazy.
It would be financial suicide for some of the cities to pluck down the billions it costs for them.
One thing we know for sure is, most owners don't like paying for they're own stadiums.
I wouldn't take this conversation any farther than it needs to go.

I am not talking about a new team going to Canada. I am talking on the specific instance when the Bills were considering moving and playing in Toronto full time. That's it. I don't think it would explode there but I think the Bills in Toronto is not much different than the Bills in Buffalo. It could have survived. Not thrived...but survived.

Having said all that, with the Bills and Packers being the two true blue collar small town football teams....with the Packers being waaaaaay more nationalized and popular, I would have been very sad to see the Bills leave Buffalo and glad that they didn't.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Mazrimiv wrote:
07 Jan 2021 15:56
A country with a 2 Billion + population only needs 10% of the population to be interested in American Football to have more fans than in the US. Even a mild interest might be worth millions to the NFL. They are not known for leaving money on the table. Just keep chipping away and it may payoff in the long term.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Jan 2021 14:05
The next TV deals will be monsters. Every responsible and well-run organization is clearly planning for it (including ourselves and the Chiefs). Viewership may have been down slightly this year, but it is MUCH higher than it was the last time a TV deal was reached. Every year, the NFL has 45 or so of the top-50 rated tv programs of the year. Live television is decreasing and making advertising during live events MUCH more valuable (decrease of supply drives up price).
The next deals will be monsters- but I wanted to comment on this because there's a couple of ways of looking at it. The NFL is still KING, by a substantial margin in terms of audience. Its the 800 lb gorilla in the room. But on the other side of the coin, the networks are having some trouble appeasing the advertisers, because the advertisers paid for X number of eyes and for the first time, the NFL hasn't delivered.

Read through this article from Wall Street Journal about all of the givebacks, rebates and refunds the networks are giving to the Top Ad buyers because the audience just didn't meet projections, even in a pandemic. I was very surprised to read this, but the WSJ is a reputable source

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-rating ... 1607781600

"Even as surefire as the NFL has been—and the last couple years, NFL ratings stood up much better than network prime-time ratings—we are now in a situation where the NFL is declining.”
IT. IS. TIME

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Christo wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Christo wrote:

I've always been opposed to adding a team in Europe. The travel and taxes are a problem. The NFL is hellbent on expanding its brand. There are a handful of AMERICAN cities that would welcome a franchise with open arms without the logistical issues.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Been a while since we mentioned the Packers in the Packers news thread, just sayin'

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Jan 2021 08:15
Been a while since we mentioned the Packers in the Packers news thread, just sayin'
Packers will play this new London when one is created.

There :P

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

2 Packers are finalists to join HOF. Woodson is a slam dunk, LeRoy is a long shot

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/0 ... finalists/
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ooooff, Linsley gunna be damn pricey if we want him back.

Likewise Davante if we want to extend him to lower his 2021 cap.

Always kind of like the buy low, sell high mentality, so I would probably wouldn't touch Davante yet, really don't think his asking price can go up anymore than it is right now.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If you want the whole deal:

Big horse collar from Buckley at 42:45 that wasn't called. :P

Also, this is the last time the Detroit Lions this division, then known as the NFC Central.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
08 Jan 2021 11:26

Ooooff, Linsley gunna be damn pricey if we want him back.

Likewise Davante if we want to extend him to lower his 2021 cap.

Always kind of like the buy low, sell high mentality, so I would probably wouldn't touch Davante yet, really don't think his asking price can go up anymore than it is right now.
Jaire and Z made second team, as well.