What Are You Watching?

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

After scanning my download/streaming history over the past couple years, the shows listed below are what I recall enjoying the most. Shows prefixed with an '*' would be my recommendations, but everything on the list is something I didn't regret taking the time to watch.

A Discover of Witches
American Gods
American Horror Story
*Black Mirror
Carnival Row
Hanna
*Haunting of Hill House
*Into The Dark
*Killing Eve
Lovecraft Country
*Marianne
Miricle Workers
*Peaky Blinders
*Pennny Dreadful
Pennyworth
Snowpiercer
Star Trek: Discovery
Star Trek: Picard
*Taboo
Tales From The Loop
*The Alienist (S1 only)
*The Boys
*The Expanse
*The Last Kingdom
*The Mandelorian
*The OA
The Witcher
Titans
Upload
Van Helsing
*Warrior
*Watchmen
*Westworld
*What We Do In The Shadows

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Finished Cobra Kai season 3 last night. Season 3 was the best season yet, and that finale was freaking amazing. It had everything in my opinion. Can't wait to watch it again.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
05 Jan 2021 12:16
Finished Cobra Kai season 3 last night. Season 3 was the best season yet, and that finale was freaking amazing. It had everything in my opinion. Can't wait to watch it again.
Yeah, I can't enough.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Good to hear about Cobra Kai. I’m slowly working through Umbrella Academy s2 and Kai is next on the list.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

APB wrote:
05 Jan 2021 13:16
Good to hear about Cobra Kai. I’m slowly working through Umbrella Academy s2 and Kai is next on the list.
It gets better every season.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Packfntk wrote:
05 Jan 2021 13:21
APB wrote:
Might have to try it again. Wife and I only got through 3 or 4 episodes and we stopped. We've hit season 6 of Game of Thrones. My wife isn't really liking it, but she's invested and wants to see what happens.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Finished Cobra Kai.

Was really good, not surprising. Anything Will Smith touches is pure gold. He’s got that Midas touch.
:lombardi: :lombardi:

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

paco wrote:
06 Jan 2021 06:57
Packfntk wrote:
APB wrote:
Might have to try it again. Wife and I only got through 3 or 4 episodes and we stopped. We've hit season 6 of Game of Thrones. My wife isn't really liking it, but she's invested and wants to see what happens.
Thrones is the best show to ever hit TV.

Yes, give Cobra Kai another chance. It is really, really freaking good.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Packfntk wrote:
06 Jan 2021 07:55
paco wrote:
06 Jan 2021 06:57
Packfntk wrote:

Thrones is the best show to ever hit TV.

Yes, give Cobra Kai another chance. It is really, really freaking good.
I'm a big Thrones fan. I've watched the first several seasons probably 6-7 times. This will be my 3rd complete watch-thru of the show. I'm with most that I didn't like how it ended, but still enjoyed it overall. But I will say, the more I watch it, the more it loses a bit of luster for me. You get to nit-pick more and question things. Still enjoying, but not sure its my top show of all time. Don't ask me what is, because I don't know.
RIP JustJeff

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

HBO sure is taking their sweet time with the GOT prequel. Looking more and more like House of the Dragon won't be arriving until 2023.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Mazrimiv wrote:
07 Jan 2021 10:12
HBO sure is taking their sweet time with the GOT prequel. Looking more and more like House of the Dragon won't be arriving until 2023.
If George R. R. Martin has anything whatsoever to do with the development and production of the spin-off, then I’m not remotely surprised. He hasn’t even finished the A Song of Ice and Fire book series yet.

Call me a dope, but I’m hopeful the book ending is better than the television version. Multiple storylines within the book series that the show never even touched so Martin could have a nice little surprise in store.

Or not.

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

APB wrote:
08 Jan 2021 06:39
If George R. R. Martin has anything whatsoever to do with the development and production of the spin-off, then I’m not remotely surprised. He hasn’t even finished the A Song of Ice and Fire book series yet.

Call me a dope, but I’m hopeful the book ending is better than the television version. Multiple storylines within the book series that the show never even touched so Martin could have a nice little surprise in store.

Or not.
You're a dope

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

More seriously, the main thing I assume Martin would do (much) better is conveying the slow descent into madness by Daenerys. The show did a terrible job of telling the backstory of the Targaryen family, and then used the family history of insanity as a primary driver for the finale season. I had read the books so I understood what was happening, but my wife had no idea why Daenerys was suddenly a villain.

Maybe Martin could also come up with some interesting ways to make use of Ghost in the story other than as a neat looking prop.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Hasn't Martin pretty much come out and said things will be different? I can definitely see the general ending being the same, but how we get there being very different and better played out.

Those 2 fool directors completely botched the ending of the TV series. How you get the option for 12 episodes and only make 6 is still beyond me...

Bran better not become king of Westeros... ;)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

Supposedly Martin did give those chuckle heads his notes for what he planned for the ending, and they more or less stayed within those bounds.

Two things I'd expect to stay the same, but be told in a much more satisfying way.

1) Daenarys loses her s@!*
2) Bran the Bewildered takes the throne

The big problem with Bran taking the throne on the show is that his character didn't translate to TV worth a damn. Martin could probably do a reasonable job of pulling that off in the books for someone who reads the books without watching the show.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I've read the books, so far.

With that being said I've never seen such a fanbase/cult die down so fast. You never hear anyone talk about GoT anymore. It's like it didn't even exist, or at least the show.

For me personally, I'm waiting for Amazon's take on The Wheel of Time.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
08 Jan 2021 18:33

With that being said I've never seen such a fanbase/cult die down so fast. You never hear anyone talk about GoT anymore. It's like it didn't even exist, or at least the show.

I am struggling to get through the first book.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I think I mentioned it in the past, but the most infuriating thing for me with the show: In the last season everyone was fast traveling. There was no journey anywhere. I was in laughing fits when Snow was in trouble with the white walkers beyond the wall, and had someone (can't remember who) run north of the wall all the way south to the wall, to request help from Daenery's, who wasn't at the wall, but needed to be notified by bird allllll the way South in Dragonstone. And get alllll the way back up beyond the wall on dragon to rescue Jon and his cronies. In previous seasons that was a week trip easily, and they did all that in a span of minutes to rescue Jon.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Jan 2021 18:34
TheGreenMan wrote:

The first book can be a chore for some, but the later installments are worth it. However, it's a long journey to the end, so don't stick it out for too long if you can't get into it!

Probably is my current favorite series of all time.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
08 Jan 2021 18:45
Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Jan 2021 18:34
TheGreenMan wrote:

The first book can be a chore for some, but the later installments are worth it. However, it's a long journey to the end, so don't stick it out for too long if you can't get into it!

Probably is my current favorite series of all time.
I like the premise, but man is it taking a long time to get to something exciting!