What Are You Watching?

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Jan 2021 18:50
TheGreenMan wrote:
08 Jan 2021 18:45
Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Jan 2021 18:34

I am struggling to get through the first book.
The first book can be a chore for some, but the later installments are worth it. However, it's a long journey to the end, so don't stick it out for too long if you can't get into it!

Probably is my current favorite series of all time.
I like the premise, but man is it taking a long time to get to something exciting!
Oh yeah. You're going to get lots of description and buildup with Jordan. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
08 Jan 2021 19:27
Pckfn23 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
08 Jan 2021 18:45

The first book can be a chore for some, but the later installments are worth it. However, it's a long journey to the end, so don't stick it out for too long if you can't get into it!

Probably is my current favorite series of all time.
I like the premise, but man is it taking a long time to get to something exciting!
I thought Tolkien was bad! ;)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

The Eye of the World is my favorite book of all time. It’s a masterpiece. The first 5-6 books of WoT are amazing... 7-10 are really dry and then Sanderson comes in to make the series excellent again.

I’ve read and re-read the entire series 4 times, I’ve gone through 3 Eye of the World paperbacks and finally got a hardcover for my library!

So, I’m obviously a WotT fan-boy. That said, I am DREADING the Amazon series. I know Sanderson is a consultant but in today’s PC, cancel-culture world, this show is going to be altered to suck ass. The casting of characters is god-freaking-awful (outside of Lan/Rand/Moraine). I hope I’m wrong but I’m fully prepared to laugh out loud at how ridiculously disappointing it’s going to turn out.

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

WoT was definitely a slog to get through the mid-late part of the series. I remember reading one of the books and the first thing I thought after finishing it was... NOTHING HAPPENED!

Maybe a TV series could liven things up a little by giving more time to the Foresaken and their internal politics. I always thought the books missed the boat there.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Jan 2021 19:48
TheGreenMan wrote:
08 Jan 2021 19:27
Pckfn23 wrote:

I thought Tolkien was bad! ;)
It's definitely not for some people, and though critics might find similarities between the Wheel of Time and the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, I keep reminding them that everyone took something from Tolkien. And truly, only the first book I could see what people are talking about, afterwards... it's completely different.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Gunzaan wrote:
08 Jan 2021 23:23
The Eye of the World is my favorite book of all time. It’s a masterpiece. The first 5-6 books of WoT are amazing... 7-10 are really dry and then Sanderson comes in to make the series excellent again.

I’ve read and re-read the entire series 4 times, I’ve gone through 3 Eye of the World paperbacks and finally got a hardcover for my library!

So, I’m obviously a WotT fan-boy. That said, I am DREADING the Amazon series. I know Sanderson is a consultant but in today’s PC, cancel-culture world, this show is going to be altered to suck ass. The casting of characters is god-freaking-awful (outside of Lan/Rand/Moraine). I hope I’m wrong but I’m fully prepared to laugh out loud at how ridiculously disappointing it’s going to turn out.
Nice!

Yeah, I think it's cemented itself as my favorite series ever. I've read them once and currently on book 6 in the audiobooks for the car. And have been seriously considering hunting for hardback first editions.

The slog is definitely real, but I thought Jordan had got back on track with book 11 Knife of Dreams, and Sanderson did real well finishing them out. I had only a few complaints regarding certain things in the last book.

Regarding the Amazon casting, I thought there was some questionable choices, but I'm willing to give it a chance. I thought whomever is playing Mat looks to be Mat, he just needs a hat and his staff! Thom's casting might be decent too. Fain looks right to me as well. I really, really hope they don't botch this and I keep thinking "I know all that budget is going to go to Amazon's Lord of the Rings"... I hope I'm wrong here though, as I'm tired of Tolkien's world being done over and over.

Edit: I will say though, after you finish the series, you have a little more appreciation for some of those middle "slog" books. Going back you pick up on things you didn't even notice.
RIP JustJeff

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Oh, I’m definitely going to give the TV series a chance. While I have my doubts, I HOPE it’s great!

And I pick up new things and details every time I re-read the series.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Started watching Peaky Blinders, almost done with the first season and I am enjoying the hell out of it. It will probably get a very high rating from me. It's kinda up my alley story-wise, but I am also really impressed with the production (nice aesthetics, soundtrack rocks, cast is killing it, etc).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
13 Jan 2021 22:49
'Started watching Peaky Blinders, almost done with the first season and I am enjoying the hell out of it. It will probably get a very high rating from me. It's kinda up my alley story-wise, but I am also really impressed with the production (nice aesthetics, soundtrack rocks, cast is killing it, etc).
I loooovvvved that show!

Side note: one of the few shows I was forced to watch with the sub-titles turned on. Damn gypsies and their gutter English! ;)

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

And now our watch has ended. Finished up the GOT watch-through with my wife last night. She was much less upset with how things ended than most fans were. She said overall it was enjoyable to watch, but she'd probably never watch it again. She said most of it was ripped off from LOTR and other stuff and didn't see how it was so new and awesome. Too much random and graphic violence for her. But she was invested in a few people. Theon, Jon Snow, Tyrion, Davos, and Brienne. She couldn't wait to see Melisandre and Cersei dead.

I told her if she does ever watch it again, we'll make it a drinking game. Every time someone gets their throat slit or is beheaded, you drink! It's not as good as our Ten Commandments drinking game. Every time they say "bondage" we drink. You die of alcohol poisoning in the first 3rd of the movie. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I’m 3 episodes into American Gods. Weirdly engaging is about how I would sum it up so far. Can’t quite figure out what’s going on but am interested to see what comes next.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I'm reading Churchill's The History of the English Speaking Peoples and watching anything about Rome or feudal Europe.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Stayed home from work today due to the weather and working a bit over the weekend. So did taxes. That was fun. :kaboom:

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Started Dark on Netflix, with subtitles. I'm on episode 6 of season 1. I like it.

My only complaint is some of the very, very bass heavy sound effects being used in every single episode. It brings nothing to the table. I have a pretty decent audio setup, and even then we're reaching some very low points - can't imagine what this would sound like on a regular tv speaker.
RIP JustJeff

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Counterpart

JK Simmons acting is incredible.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
18 Feb 2021 16:30
Counterpart

JK Simmons acting is incredible.
Been a fan of his since OZ. Great show.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Anyone else watching Wandavision? Lots of talk about it. The wife and I have. Neither of us are that familiar with the entire Marvel universe. I know some, my wife knows nothing. So certain things I think go over our heads.

People said that the first 3 episodes were tough to get through. We really liked them, especially my wife. The nods back to old tv series of those eras were fun. I think my wife is losing interest now that it's going more super-hero-y. But we're still interested to see where it goes.

Plus...I'm a Kat Dennings fan. :beer: :beer2:
RIP JustJeff

Mendeleev
Reactions:

Post by Mendeleev »

Mazrimiv wrote:
09 Jan 2021 08:38
WoT was definitely a slog to get through the mid-late part of the series. I remember reading one of the books and the first thing I thought after finishing it was... NOTHING HAPPENED!

Maybe a TV series could liven things up a little by giving more time to the Foresaken and their internal politics. I always thought the books missed the boat there.
Jordan felt some kind of unnecessary obligation to every minor storyline, because some books like Winter's Heart and Crossroads did not need to be split up into two books.

While it was nice that Sanderson finished the stories, I found his dialogue (like in most of his other books) to be a weak point.

That being said, the series holds a special place in my heart, and I'll definitely watch every episode of the Amazon series.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Anyone watch the show Dave?

Its based on the rap career of comedic rapper Lil Dicky. A lot of his most popular songs are satire but he does have a small catalog of songs where he is serious and IMO is the best rapper alive when he isnt $%@# around and no one can change my mind on that.

Anyways the show was really good. First few episodes were a little weird but it really hits its stride in the 2nd half of the season and the 2nd to last episode was great. Season 2 just finished filming.

Cancelled by the forum elites.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I've thought about checking that out, but never have.

Wife has me watching Veronica Mars right now. 2 seasons down. Ok show, has got that late 90's early 2000's feel to it so its kind of nostalgic in a way. I like Kristin Bell so its cool.
RIP JustJeff