Packers Sign Jared Veldheer

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
12 Jan 2021 07:14
lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Jan 2021 05:02
BF004 wrote:
11 Jan 2021 22:40
Patrick has been keeping Wagner on the bench all year though, it would be Turner at RT if Veldheer starts.
Lord knows why.
#1 offense in the NFL don’t lie.

Also think Turner has been better at tackle that most are giving him credit for.
Not all year. I think Turner has played very well at OT, but why are we ignoring the fact that the most recent game we had a full slate of OL, it was Patrick on the bench and not Wagner or Turner?

12/27 against the Titans:

Bak - Jenkins - Linsley - Turner - Wagner

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I am not ignoring it, Patrick was banged up.

I have guessed wrong on the OL would be just about every week this year, so trying to against my intuition.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
12 Jan 2021 07:27
I am not ignoring it, Patrick was banged up.

I have guessed wrong on the OL would be just about every week this year, so trying to against my intuition.
For the record, I don't think we signed Velheer to start him, but I also don't think it's the case that Patrick is preferred over Wagner any longer. I don't think Patrick was as banged up as you are suggesting. I think he was active and available and not preferred.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

how could anyone here possibly know who is the most ready to play, we have had to move players around mostly because of injurys, I trust the coaches to have the 5 best on the field accounting for the injury adjustments, Veldheer is a great pickup.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
12 Jan 2021 07:32
how could anyone here possibly know who is the most ready to play, we have had to move players around mostly because of injurys, I trust the coaches to have the 5 best on the field accounting for the injury adjustments, Veldheer is a great pickup.
How could anyone not know that a guy likely to walk in the building for the first time in a year, today, is most likely the least ready to play a football game in 4 days?

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
12 Jan 2021 07:41
Yoop wrote:
How could anyone not know that a guy likely to walk in the building for the first time in a year, today, is most likely the least ready to play a football game in 4 days?
did we change OL coaches since he left? did we change blocking assignments on the OL since he left?
Wagner is banged up, so considering that Veldheer is a more experienced T I think he'll be the starter come Saturday, but the coaches know more then I possibly could.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
12 Jan 2021 08:54
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
did we change OL coaches since he left? did we change blocking assignments on the OL since he left?
Wagner is banged up, so considering that Veldheer is a more experienced T I think he'll be the starter come Saturday, but the coaches know more then I possibly could.
You don't want ANY false starts, nor do you wanna limit AR's hard calls due to Veldheer being first time back with the Pack. Nor do you want your tackle reacting half a step late to snaps because they don't anticipate the call. I dunno the exact level of differences from last year's calls to now (I expect there to be some), but asking Veldheer to step in right away to start might be at least a week too early.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Do you remember where you were and what you did on January 12, 2020? Nevermind, bad example. Anyway, I don't think experience has anything to do with it:

Wagner: 96 NFL starts
Veldheer: 114 NFL starts

I just think, unless Wagner truly is hurt, there is zero reason to press Veldheer into the starting line-up. If Turner or Wagner go down, then we will certainly need Veldheer to slide in otherwise will be counting on Yijman or kicking Jenkins out to OT.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

salmar80 wrote:
11 Jan 2021 19:58
That's quite the steal, poaching him from Colts' practice squad.

Got both Snacks and Veldheer on the cheap after other teams gave 'em time to work back into football shape after absences.

Even if we didn't start Veldheer, great to have a vet backup when thin on Oline. Or we can plug him at tackle and have more quality in the interior to deal with Donald.
Yep, didn't love the idea of moving Jenkins out tackle and going with Runyan and Patrick at guards. Even if both have done all right in their time, that is just a limited group.

But now you got 4 legit tackle options (Turner, Wagner, Veldheer, Jenkins, which includes 3 LT options and 4 RT options), 4 legit guard options (Patrick, Jenkins, Turner, Runyan), and 3 legit center options (Linsley, Jenkins, Patrick).

Need something nearly unpresented to happen to put us in something where we are playing someone completely out of positions. And in the age of COVID, better safe than sorry.

Just so worth this signing here by Gute. Don't let something stupid happen as to the reason why we don't advance, like having to play Lucas Patrick at tackle or something stupid because we had no contingencies.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
12 Jan 2021 09:06
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

Do you remember where you were and what you did on January 12, 2020? Nevermind, bad example. Anyway, I don't think experience has anything to do with it:

I just think, unless Wagner truly is hurt, there is zero reason to press Veldheer into the starting line-up. If Turner or Wagner go down, then we will certainly need Veldheer to slide in otherwise will be counting on Yijman or kicking Jenkins out to OT.
Do you remember where you were and what you did on January 12, 2020? :rotf: well no, do you? :lol:

we'll see who starts where sat. :aok:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Watching the Packers smacking the Seahawks while nursing a hangover from my birthday party the night before.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
12 Jan 2021 10:02
:beer2:

Read More. Post Less.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Jan 2021 10:04
Watching the Packers smacking the Seahawks while nursing a hangover from my birthday party the night before.
Happy Birthday! :banana: :beer2: :guitar: :rimshot: :beer: :toke: :sleeping:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Cdragon wrote:
12 Jan 2021 10:11
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Jan 2021 10:04
Happy Birthday! :banana: :beer2: :guitar: :rimshot: :beer: :toke: :sleeping:
Thanks! A bit more tame this year and no Packers to watch in the WIld Card round. :banana: #1 seed baby!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Veldheer tests positive for COVID. He practiced yesterday. Ruh roh.

Read More. Post Less.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Looks like the packers passed the close contact trace so hopefully no positives. :bkw: :hail:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
13 Jan 2021 17:18
Veldheer tests positive for COVID. He practiced yesterday. Ruh roh.

:thwap:

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

You've got to be freaking kidding me - if he infects anybody else on our team I might lose it.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
12 Jan 2021 10:02
NCF wrote:
12 Jan 2021 09:06
Yoop wrote:

Do you remember where you were and what you did on January 12, 2020? :rotf: well no, do you? :lol:

Are you kidding me? Section 130 at 1265 Lombardi Avenue, Green Bay, WI. This obnoxious Seahawks fan in the row behind me kept sayin' "that's what I'm talkin' about" whenever the Chickens did something. Near the end of the game when the Packers got that pivotal first down to seal the victory ..........a few of us Packers fans turned the tables and started yellin' "that's what I'm talkin' about". No fights ensued........we were feelin' pretty good about the win.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT !! :cheese:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

NCF wrote:
13 Jan 2021 17:18
Veldheer tests positive for COVID.
from Tom Silverstein

"The source said the Packers deemed that there were no players who had close contact with Veldheer, which was why they were able to practice Wednesday and did not have to go into COVID-19 protocols.
The fact the Packers did not place anyone else on the reserve/COVID-19 list Wednesday would indicate that they did not find anyone who was in close contact with him."

So we know they all wear masks and they all stayed 6 ft apart. Fingers crossed
IT. IS. TIME