LA Rams: What They're Saying

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Jan 2021 10:56
APB wrote:
17 Jan 2021 10:52
The general comments I've seen from Rams fans is that (surprisingly) it was the defense that lost this game, not Goff as many had anticipated. I really think their fan base had sincere anticipation of Ramsey shutting down Adams and the offense struggling to get anything going with consistency. The fact they didn't force a punt until midway through the 3rd qtr came as shock.

I'm sure it sucks for their fan base to see their team lose but to lose because the strength of your team got ran roughshod is just disheartening.

And all the sweeter for us!
Yeah, I mean think of it this way: if we had gone out and played the exact games we played against Minnesota and Indy, it wouldn't have been a shock to us. We've seen that before and have a fear that it will occur again, even if our recent success and confidence has wiped that away.

For Rams fans, they haven't seen a single offense do this to them. The Bills scored more, but that was a back and forth game. This was brand new to them. Their defense getting devoured really couldn't come as anything but a shock to them.
I said before this was a typical bares team. The Rams played the worst of the worst padding their stats and they lost to one of them. To me San Fran will be back at the top of that division next year, they beat the Rams twice despite their injuries. There are only two teams in the NFC that are close to us and one of them will be eliminated today.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I browsed a bit on Rams forums, and the general sense I got was one of resignation to getting beaten by the better team. Nothing too spicy, especially as Goff played well with that thumb. I think most Rams fans were hoping to win, but didn't expect it. That the D leaked SO bad was a surprise, even with an injured Donald.

Overall seemed like a nice fan community. Minimal ref -blaming, no conspiracy crap, little FIRE EVERYONE shouting, etc. Can't add the Rams to my hated teams list yet.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Jan 2021 10:56
APB wrote:
17 Jan 2021 10:52
The general comments I've seen from Rams fans is that (surprisingly) it was the defense that lost this game, not Goff as many had anticipated. I really think their fan base had sincere anticipation of Ramsey shutting down Adams and the offense struggling to get anything going with consistency. The fact they didn't force a punt until midway through the 3rd qtr came as shock.

I'm sure it sucks for their fan base to see their team lose but to lose because the strength of your team got ran roughshod is just disheartening.

And all the sweeter for us!
Yeah, I mean think of it this way: if we had gone out and played the exact games we played against Minnesota and Indy, it wouldn't have been a shock to us. We've seen that before and have a fear that it will occur again, even if our recent success and confidence has wiped that away.

For Rams fans, they haven't seen a single offense do this to them. The Bills scored more, but that was a back and forth game. This was brand new to them. Their defense getting devoured really couldn't come as anything but a shock to them.
Yeah. I mean we experienced it in 2011 vs the Giants and 2014 vs the Seahawks when the strength of our team didn't hold up its end of the bargain.

Those types of losses really hurt. Overall through as a Rams fan, you kind of had to have known that winning was a long shot. Like even last year vs San Fran. Sure we all had "hope" that we could stand up vs San Fran, but I think we all knew in our gut that SF was just a better team against us.

The Rams big mistake was paying Goff. I think teams will start coming to the realization that it just doesn't make sense to give 15th and lower rated QBs large contracts. No need to spend so much cap on a position that can be filled with a draft pick. I do honestly think we may start seeing moderate level FA QB contracts go down in price and if they don't, you will continue to see stupid teams like the Rams who have GREAT rosters be held back because $35 million is going to a player that a 2nd year, 2nd round pick could do.

But having said that, I hope the league still stays stupid.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
17 Jan 2021 11:17
I browsed a bit on Rams forums, and the general sense I got was one of resignation to getting beaten by the better team. Nothing too spicy, especially as Goff played well with that thumb. I think most Rams fans were hoping to win, but didn't expect it. That the D leaked SO bad was a surprise, even with an injured Donald.

Overall seemed like a nice fan community. Minimal ref -blaming, no conspiracy crap, little FIRE EVERYONE shouting, etc. Can't add the Rams to my hated teams list yet.
Yeah the Rams was one of my favorite visiting stadiums to go to because LA fans were super nice overall. And they all said it really is because there are few LA resdients who are passionate about the Rams.

I sat by a guy in 2018 who was a life long LA Rams fan. Loved em when in LA. Stuck with them in St. Louis and was so happy to see them back in LA. He was great to talk to. But overall most LA residents I talked to at the game were Packers fans.

I just got the sense there is zero "hometown pride" with either LA team.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
17 Jan 2021 11:19
The Rams big mistake was paying Goff. I think teams will start coming to the realization that it just doesn't make sense to give 15th and lower rated QBs large contracts. No need to spend so much cap on a position that can be filled with a draft pick. I do honestly think we may start seeing moderate level FA QB contracts go down in price and if they don't, you will continue to see stupid teams like the Rams who have GREAT rosters be held back because $35 million is going to a player that a 2nd year, 2nd round pick could do.

What's sort of fun about that was how MLF coached him up SO WELL that he rebounded from a historically bad rookie year and set him on the path to the extension! Without MLF and Zac Taylor around, he's regressed. So in a way, we helped set L.A. up to fail against us :)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Jan 2021 11:26
go pak go wrote:

What's sort of fun about that was how MLF coached him up SO WELL that he rebounded from a historically bad rookie year and set him on the path to the extension! Without MLF and Zac Taylor around, he's regressed. So in a way, we helped set L.A. up to fail against us :)
Yeah the track record, outside of Tennessee of MLF and Quarterbacks is nothing short of amazing.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
17 Jan 2021 11:31
Yeah the track record, outside of Tennessee of MLF and Quarterbacks is nothing short of amazing.
Which is why by year 3 Jordan Love will be 100% ready to be elite whenever it's his turn.

And we'll have him on an unproven mid-tier QB contract for his prime years while he plays like a boss for our brilliant HC. It's great. This whole plan with Gutey and MLF and everything is just. so. great.

We overachieved in year one with MLF. We might win a Super Bowl in year 2 with MLF. We'll have two more darn good chances to win Super Bowls with Rodgers/MLF, and then we're set up (likely) with cornerstones like Kenny Clark, Davante Adams, Jaire Alexander, David Bakhtiari, Elkton Jenkins, and a MLF-coached Jordan Love to move fairly seamlessly into a new era of Packers football.

It's the future and the present shaking hands with each other and sending each other on their way with the best chance of success. It's gonna be like 2026 before MLF even sniffs a losing record

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
17 Jan 2021 11:31
YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Jan 2021 11:26
go pak go wrote:

And, as unimpressive as the Titans numbers were, Blaine Gabbert led the team in passing in four games, so hard to blame MLF when that is what he is working with. Instead of working wonders with QB's, he helped lead a 3-4 team to a 6-3 finished and practically invented Derrick Henry as a lead NFL back.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
17 Jan 2021 11:40
And, as unimpressive as the Titans numbers were, Blaine Gabbert led the team in passing in four games, so hard to blame MLF when that is what he is working with. Instead of working wonders with QB's, he helped lead a 3-4 team to a 6-3 finished and practically invented Derrick Henry as a lead NFL back.
It's weird, right? Derrick Henry's emergence from disappointing draft pick to premium NFL player happened under MLF... but as it happened, it almost was held against him. Like, "you could have done this all along; why did it take until the end of the season for you to use Henry like this?" The fact that Henry had never produced like that before wasn't a credit to MLF (at the time), but proof that he had misused him earlier.

It reminded me a lot of MM, honestly. How he was excellent as an OC in New Orleans for 6 years and had one terrible offense with terrible QB play and terrible personnel and injuries in SF and people thought he didn't know offense anymore and were shocked when we hired him. It was a perfect buy-low/early opportunity for both men.

Y'all know I was an early advocate for MLF as a HC (though Flores was my top choice), but I was only able to hop aboard the train early because I started looking before the Tennessee season had really played out. His resume prior to that SCREAMED QB whisperer and modern offense. It's not that I saw something other people didn't. It's just that I looked before his resume reputation took an unworthy hit for the Tennessee struggles in year one.

But hey, the Titans' Arthur Smith carried forward what MLF had done and had outstanding success, so I don't think anyone lost in that whole scenario.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

salmar80 wrote:
17 Jan 2021 11:17

No, just as I said before the game they were pretty down to earth.

Never had the opportunity to browse bucs forums though for the playoffs. I'm fairly certain we've only played them once back in the 90s on our way to the Super Bowl.
RIP JustJeff