Rams @ Packers - NFCD Playoff GDT - 1/16 - 3:35 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

go pak go wrote:
19 Jan 2021 07:00
What's so strange is how abrupt the MM/TT era went from peak to clearly trying to survive.

I mean 2014 2nd half of season, after they move Matthews to ILB, the team was clearly the best in football. It got seriously hampered by a Rodgers injury at Tampa before the postseason but the defense stepped up so big towards the end of the season that it didn't matter and it was looking like Rodgers would benefit from the SB bye week and bring home the 2nd trophy for the Rodgers/MM/TT era.

Add on that a GREAT 2014 draft....TT seemed to do a fantastic job of transitioning the team to Phase II beyond the SB team.

Nelson and Cobb took over Jennings and Driver
Eddy Lacy was a clear upgrade over even Ryan Grant
The offensive line completely flipped and looked strong as ever

On the defensive side of the ball, new and young draft picks looked exciting.

Mike Daniels seemed to take the torch from Raji
Clinton Dix fell in our laps and looked to continue carrying the #21. Morgan Burnett was getting experience.
Nick Perry was a strong and young Pass rusher who is a great compliment to Matthews and oh by the way, TT signs Peppers in the most TT fashion by complete secrecy. Sam Shields is looking to be an All Pro and we have Casey Hayward taking over Tramon Williams.

I mean the team looked stacked. We signed all our big time FAs in the 2015 offseason. Then we draft Randle who started 2015 with a bang. The Packers are 6-0 relying on their defense as the offense is adjusting, but adjusting well with life without Jordy. Big Packers wins include beating the Seahawks and the 9ers in dominating fashion. Our biggest thorns at the time.

And then just like that, Sunday Night Football against Denver they find something. And literally the TT/MM era is over. It is just so baffling to me how a team can be peaked so high going into a bye and coming out....it's literally the beginning of the end.
We weren't the best team till the end. 2014 was benefitted by the incredible injury luck. If you wind up at the end of the journey totally intact, all your players have an advantage even in a bad scheme. They know what they are doing and they have advantages over 2nd and 3rd string opponants who aren't as good or as sure of their own scheme. We were great because we survived. But thugs like Suh grinding on AR's leg didn't help and mistakes we've seen all year that you could survive when they happened once or twice a game came up in bunches.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Cdragon wrote:
19 Jan 2021 07:41

We weren't the best team till the end. 2014 was benefitted by the incredible injury luck. If you wind up at the end of the journey totally intact, all your players have an advantage even in a bad scheme. They know what they are doing and they have advantages over 2nd and 3rd string opponants who aren't as good or as sure of their own scheme. We were great because we survived. But thugs like Suh grinding on AR's leg didn't help and mistakes we've seen all year that you could survive when they happened once or twice a game came up in bunches.
Yeah I have heard that many times before. But at that time, the Seahawks were the golden standard. They were the SB champs and they were the #1 seed. They didn't really have any injuries either.

So yes our team was healthy. But the Hawks were pretty darned healthy too and the 2014 team was better than the Hawks.

The 2014 was the best team in the TT/MM era. And there was no reason to not be ecstatic after the Chargers game in 2015 after then being 6-0.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

:rotf: :rotf:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
19 Jan 2021 07:00
What's so strange is how abrupt the MM/TT era went from peak to clearly trying to survive.

I mean 2014 2nd half of season, after they move Matthews to ILB, the team was clearly the best in football. It got seriously hampered by a Rodgers injury at Tampa before the postseason but the defense stepped up so big towards the end of the season that it didn't matter and it was looking like Rodgers would benefit from the SB bye week and bring home the 2nd trophy for the Rodgers/MM/TT era.

Add on that a GREAT 2014 draft....TT seemed to do a fantastic job of transitioning the team to Phase II beyond the SB team.

Nelson and Cobb took over Jennings and Driver
Eddy Lacy was a clear upgrade over even Ryan Grant
The offensive line completely flipped and looked strong as ever

On the defensive side of the ball, new and young draft picks looked exciting.

Mike Daniels seemed to take the torch from Raji
Clinton Dix fell in our laps and looked to continue carrying the #21. Morgan Burnett was getting experience.
Nick Perry was a strong and young Pass rusher who is a great compliment to Matthews and oh by the way, TT signs Peppers in the most TT fashion by complete secrecy. Sam Shields is looking to be an All Pro and we have Casey Hayward taking over Tramon Williams.

I mean the team looked stacked. We signed all our big time FAs in the 2015 offseason. Then we draft Randle who started 2015 with a bang. The Packers are 6-0 relying on their defense as the offense is adjusting, but adjusting well with life without Jordy. Big Packers wins include beating the Seahawks and the 9ers in dominating fashion. Our biggest thorns at the time.

And then just like that, Sunday Night Football against Denver they find something. And literally the TT/MM era is over. It is just so baffling to me how a team can be peaked so high going into a bye and coming out....it's literally the beginning of the end.
Meh. To me that something got found in 2011 against the Chiefs. MMs scheme couldn’t beat press man with a 2 shell behind it. Receivers timing gets jammed up and like I said, no motion to get anything easy. No help with natural picks like this offense does when running mesh. Our mesh routes make it impossible to run man against us. After they jammed they took away anything over the top with the safeties. MM would still try and run the predictable max coverage double move deep out of a run heavy formation. It was good when it started but after half a season of that I could call it just based on the formation.

I’ve said it 1000 times over. MM was a great leader and head coach. His scheme was dog &%$@.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
19 Jan 2021 07:49
Cdragon wrote:

Yeah I have heard that many times before. But at that time, the Seahawks were the golden standard. They were the SB champs and they were the #1 seed. They didn't really have any injuries either.

So yes our team was healthy. But the Hawks were pretty darned healthy too and the 2014 team was better than the Hawks.

The 2014 was the best team in the TT/MM era. And there was no reason to not be ecstatic after the Chargers game in 2015 after then being 6-0.
I was in basic during the 2015 season. I remember an MTI coming in and asking if anyone was a Packers fan. I raised my hand and he suck “suck it cheese head. Jordys out for the season.” I kept getting letters from my family with game clippings and news about the team and it seemed like they were doing well. I graduated and all finally got to tech school and everyone on this board was talking how good this team was. First game I get to watch was Denver and I was just thinking what is everyone talking about this is the worst offense I had ever seen.

Man the game against the Cardinals. We go on and win that game and Janis go down in history. Like that effort would be something that is showed in every Packers underdog montage ever. And Damarious Randall’s stupid ass was the only person in the entire stadium that thought we were in zone.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Jan 2021 08:19

Man the game against the Cardinals. We go on and win that game and Janis go down in history. Like that effort would be something that is showed in every Packers underdog montage ever. And Damarious Randall’s stupid ass was the only person in the entire stadium that thought we were in zone.
Yeah the Cardinals game doesn't really do anything for me. What I was more impressed with was how the defense was able to hold the high flying Cardinals to 20 points for 4 quarters.

The two Janis plays were fun and exciting but it didn't show we were a good offense. We just struck lightening for two plays. Our offense did what it was expected to that day. We had Aberderis and Janis as our 2 WRs and they played like it. What it showed was that Rodgers was able to pull two TDs out of his butt and show he could turn anything good out of crap.

I was baffled they didn't go for the 2 point conversion to just win it. That was a stupid call. MM defended his decision saying they didn't have time to make a play call, overall euphoria and Janis was hurt etc.

Except they had plenty of time to get a good play call because the TD went under review. I believe Janis was our last WR at that point because Cobb and Aberderis were already hurt earlier. So if he didn't want to go for 2 because he didn't have Janis...why would he think OT would be any better?

To me it was a lot easier to try and get 2 yards with the limited personnel we had compared to needing 40 yards etc.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush, ya tie the game so you get to play some more, versus failing to get 2 and going home.

bigger mistake in my opinion was banging Lacy into a 11 man box 4 times on I think our last offensive series, heck we didn't even send a receiver out, and Richard Sherman was playing with one arm, and we only needed 3 or 4 yrds.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

go pak go wrote:
Cdragon wrote:

2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 could all take the 2014 team down.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Cdragon wrote:
19 Jan 2021 09:44
go pak go wrote:
Cdragon wrote:

Josh Sitton and TJ Lang would disagree with you. Start at 8:30. Sitton and Lang say the best teams they were in (in order) was 2014, 2011 and then 2010.

https://www.packers.com/audio/28-alumni ... osh-sitton
Yoop wrote:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

go pak go wrote:
19 Jan 2021 09:57
Cdragon wrote:
19 Jan 2021 09:44
go pak go wrote:

Josh Sitton and TJ Lang would disagree with you. Start at 8:30. Sitton and Lang say the best teams they were in (in order) was 2014, 2011 and then 2010.

https://www.packers.com/audio/28-alumni ... osh-sitton
And they would be wrong. ;)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

this bleacher report article is ancient now, but I love to look back at these really great Packer teams, these teams where loaded with star studded players, we all know about the legendary 1962 team, some rate it the best team ever ( I do), but # 2 was no slouch either, this only goes to 2011, so how 2014 stacks up with these is anyones guess.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

All I can go by is in my lifetime and teams I watched.

I would say it is the following as far as best teams (top 5):

1. 1996
2. 1997
3. 2020
4. 2014
5. 2010
6. 2011
7. 2007
8. 2019
9. 2003
10. 2009

It's actually a really hard exercise. We have had a LOT of really good teams and I think there are years, such as 2003 and 2009 that are waaaay underrated. Like the 2003 and 2009 Packers teams I believe were SB teams if not for really weird last second plays.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
19 Jan 2021 12:56

1. 1996
2. 1997
3. 2020
4. 2014
5. 2010
6. 2011
7. 2007
8. 2019
9. 2003
10. 2009

It's actually a really hard exercise. We have had a LOT of really good teams and I think there are years, such as 2003 and 2009 that are waaaay underrated. Like the 2003 and 2009 Packers teams I believe were SB teams if not for really weird last second plays.
2012 and 2013 would kill some of those teams, 7-10. But, yeah, just looking quickly, it would be a very difficult exercise to get the way you really wanted it.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
19 Jan 2021 12:59

2012 and 2013 would kill some of those teams, 7-10. But, yeah, just looking quickly, it would be a very difficult exercise to get the way you really wanted it.
[/quote]

That 2013 team would have been really fun to watch play SEA. That was a really good football team if Rodgers stayed healthy.
Yoop wrote:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

go pak go wrote:

1. 1996
2. 1997
3. 2020
4. 2014
5. 2010
6. 2011
7. 2007
8. 2019
9. 2003
10. 2009

96 is easily #1 but 2010 is a team that was devastated by injuries and they just kept coming up with quality replacements. Great D, and the team took the 3rd , 1st, and 2nd seed on the road and spanked them. They beat a recent SB champion. They are the top of my AR teams. But I'll always wonder what if MM didn't show so much in winning a meaningless week 17 game against the Cards in 09. We were facing them the next week no matter what happened. Should have played it like the 4th pre-season game.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Finally proper game highlights:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:

1. 1996
2. 1997
3. 2020
4. 2014
5. 2010
6. 2011
7. 2007
8. 2019
9. 2003
10. 2009

sure is, it's impossible to memorize every play, strength of opponent, without some sort of help, I mean we all have our opinions, and obviously we know what good looks like, but theres more to this then just the score, though obviously that may be the leading factor, but when this stuff is all put together, it includes the ranking amongst peers of individual players, and thats I think where we need to rely on some analytics or comparison charts, who has the time or knowledge to do all that, sure I might disagree some with bleacher report etc. but I trust those type services for the most part, if they say the 1962 Packers where the best Packers, I wont argue ;)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

salmar80 wrote:
19 Jan 2021 13:29

lmao, even shows Ramsey yelling at his teammate.

That is crazy well done.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

BF004 wrote:
19 Jan 2021 13:34
salmar80 wrote:

That is crazy well done.
Yes.

Looks like stop motion with real Legos, not CGI.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

BF004 wrote:
19 Jan 2021 13:34
salmar80 wrote:

That is crazy well done.
Even got Rodgers shifting the ball to his left hand for the TD. Every detail.