Black Monday / Blacker Sunday?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

NCF wrote:
18 Jan 2021 08:28
Cdragon wrote:
18 Jan 2021 08:27
BF004 wrote:
18 Jan 2021 07:15

And Mike LaFleur as OC.

Kind of interesting for an inexperienced defensive defensive HC to put someone even more inexperienced on the Oside to be OC.
I think it makes a ton of sense. He's grabbing a guy from his organization who he's seen coach. Probably had a lot of O vs. D discussions with. Mike's a guy who has a lot of mentors he can connect with if he needs advice. Saleh knows what he is getting.
Not only that, but they have a history well pre-dating their time in SF. I'm sure it's someone he is very comfortable with.
Wouldn't shock me if this is where Aaron Jones lands now.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Cdragon wrote:
18 Jan 2021 08:47
NCF wrote:
Cdragon wrote:

I think it makes a ton of sense. He's grabbing a guy from his organization who he's seen coach. Probably had a lot of O vs. D discussions with. Mike's a guy who has a lot of mentors he can connect with if he needs advice. Saleh knows what he is getting.
Not only that, but they have a history well pre-dating their time in SF. I'm sure it's someone he is very comfortable with.
Wouldn't shock me if this is where Aaron Jones lands now.
Yeah, that would be an interesting fit.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
Cdragon wrote:
BF004 wrote:
18 Jan 2021 07:15

And Mike LaFleur as OC.

Kind of interesting for an inexperienced defensive defensive HC to put someone even more inexperienced on the Oside to be OC.
Never said it didn’t make sense. Just said interesting. 🧐

Clearly makes some sense, but feel like just nothing you ever see.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

A couple of teams pick their GMs.

WFT goes with the HC's old friend -hire in Marty Hurney... WTF fans are so excited they don't even have threads about him on their fan forums.

PFT:
The Washington Football Team is set to hire General Manager Marty Hurney today.

The deal between Hurney and Washington is being finalized and should be announced today, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

The 65-year-old Hurney was the Panthers’ G.M. from 2002 to 2012 and again from 2017 to 2020. Washington coach Ron Rivera was the Panthers’ head coach from 2011 to 2019, so the two of them have a good working relationship and will be on the same page about the future of the franchise.
Atlanta picks a new and exciting option in long-time Saint Terry Fontenot.
The Atlanta Falcons have officially hired General Manager Terry Fontenot.

Fontenot had emerged as the favorite and his hiring was announced this morning. He’ll work with new head coach Arthur Smith as the Falcons attempt to rebuild after a disappointing end to the tenures of former G.M. Thomas Dimitroff and head coach Dan Quinn.

Fontenot has spent the last 18 years with the Saints, most recently as V.P. and assistant G.M. for pro personnel. The Saints will receive third-round compensatory picks in the 2021 and 2022 NFL drafts under the NFL’s new rule to reward teams that develop minority coaches and executives.
I did not know your team can get comp picks if a minority coach or exec is hired off your personnel. :dunno:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
19 Jan 2021 08:11
I did not know your team can get comp picks if a minority coach or exec is hired off your personnel.
It's brand new this year. They wanted to figure out a way to incentivize it with draft picks, but also not give teams incentive to fire HCs frequently... so the idea of rewarding the team that develops minority talent rather than the team that ultimately hires it was the solution. I find it a bit odd, but overall I think it works nicely on an incentive basis.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

OL guru James Campen is back on the street. Someone is gonna get themselves a real good OL coach. The new Jaguars HC Brandon Staley apparently decided to bring in his own guy.

But this reminds me: How about the job our replacement for Campen, Adam Stenavich, has done in his first NFL gig as the main OL coach!? Helluva job. Great hire by Gutey.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Jan 2021 08:13
salmar80 wrote:
I did not know your team can get comp picks if a minority coach or exec is hired off your personnel.
It's brand new this year. They wanted to figure out a way to incentivize it with draft picks, but also not give teams incentive to fire HCs frequently... so the idea of rewarding the team that develops minority talent rather than the team that ultimately hires it was the solution. I find it a bit odd, but overall I think it works nicely on an incentive basis.
It seems it might suppress teams from picking minorities if their rival is getting comp picks.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Cdragon wrote:
20 Jan 2021 05:56
YoHoChecko wrote:
salmar80 wrote:
It seems it might suppress teams from picking minorities if their rival is getting comp picks.
I thought about that, could be a problem in rare cases. Teams rarely hire from division- or other bitter rivals, anyways. I would balk at giving the Bears free comp picks, but wouldn't care so much about a random AFC team. But teams DO poach from the top teams, and giving free comp pics to top teams goes against the strive for parity.

I think the bigger problem is that teams need to win now. No one's gonna hire a worse minority candidate over a better white one just because there's a chance of getting a comp pick years down the line. You'd need an utter 50/50 deadlock for possible comp picks entering the equation. So I can't see this being a thing except very rarely and almost by accident.

Overall, seems like an illogical solution.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Cdragon wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
salmar80 wrote:
they wont value comp picks over talent, teams want to win, so they go after the coaches that can most help them succeed, heck most of the assistants and positional coaches are minority ( AA ) now, I doubt this changes anything like that, teams should be compensated, they teach the assistant to be a better coach, the same way coaches teach rookies to be better players, so compensation should be the result when one team wants a trained up coach from another team.

a ss, gas, or cash, no one rides for free :lol:

I remember when Wolf wanted Holmgren, SF said No way, unless you doll out a 1st round pick, we did, and the rest is history, I've never felt it was ok for teams to scarf up assistants from a team simply because of a promotional upgrade, of course we don't want to hold a coach back from his ability to improve his position, his career, but it shouldn't be free, if your under contract then the team they leave should be compensated, it's only fair, if you teach someone to be better at something then they owe you for that, there is a debt to pay.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

salmar80 wrote:
20 Jan 2021 06:42
Cdragon wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I thought about that, could be a problem in rare cases. Teams rarely hire from division- or other bitter rivals, anyways. I would balk at giving the Bears free comp picks, but wouldn't care so much about a random AFC team. But teams DO poach from the top teams, and giving free comp pics to top teams goes against the strive for parity.

I think the bigger problem is that teams need to win now. No one's gonna hire a worse minority candidate over a better white one just because there's a chance of getting a comp pick years down the line. You'd need an utter 50/50 deadlock for possible comp picks entering the equation. So I can't see this being a thing except very rarely and almost by accident.

Overall, seems like an illogical solution.
The stick doesn't really work now. The teams like the Raiders who are hiring a Gruden no matter what, will just run a few phony Rooney Rule interviews and become better actors to avoid loss of a pick.

It might be you just have to punish everyone by sliding their draft position back let's say 5 slots if you change your GM or HC and you can get those slots back by hiring a minority for either position. It stings enough that teams will think about it, but it is not crippling if they go ahead grab another hack GM or HC off the pile of old boys network has beens.

Ultimately success should be what opens up the field. Guys like Ozzie Newsome and Mike Tomlin should have led to more minorities getting a chance. But until you get more people in the big positions you aren't going to have the successes that lead to more hires.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Lions hire Dan Campbell as HC. Most recently Saints Asst. HC and TE coach.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Cdragon wrote:
21 Jan 2021 10:44
Campbell rounded out my top 4 choices for us 2 years ago (Flores, MLF, Josh McDaniels were the other 3)

I think he's a good leader type. His coordinator hires will be key, because he's less of an Xs and Os guy himself (though I'm sure he's gotten more hands on experience with that in the two years since with the Saints)

This feels like a culture hire, which they need.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Hahaha, check out this post from the old forum, just after MM was fired:
YoHoChecko wrote:I THINK my ideal situation would be Dan Campbell at HC with a maybe-fired, maybe "given permission to interview even though it's a lateral move but we don't think you're doing great" Matt LaFleur as OC, and keeping Pettine at DC.
I also apparently really liked Bettcher, a DC at the time? Don't remember that guy, haha. And I did not like McDaniels. So amend my previous post; my memory has betrayed my reality.

Anyway, point is that I was a big Campbell fan when we were hiring--and two others I liked--Flores and MLF--have panned out well. So either i'm good at this and Campbell will be good, or I'm average at this and Campbell (along with Bettcher) will be bad enough to average out MLF and Flores
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 21 Jan 2021 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jan 2021 10:48
Cdragon wrote:
21 Jan 2021 10:44
Campbell rounded out my top 4 choices for us 2 years ago (Flores, MLF, Josh McDaniels were the other 3)

I think he's a good leader type. His coordinator hires will be key, because he's less of an Xs and Os guy himself (though I'm sure he's gotten more hands on experience with that in the two years since with the Saints)

This feels like a culture hire, which they need.
They've given him a 6 year contract which seems like they are going to give him time to change that culture. So if he is any good hopefully he'll be fired after 4 years.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yeah, I feel like Detroit finally did something right... and I don't like it.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jan 2021 10:51
I also apparently really liked Bettcher, a DC at the time? Don't remember that guy, haha.
He was on the defensive staff under Arians and Todd Bowles. Took over as DC once Bowles got the Jets job and I believe he made a stop with the Giants once Arians stepped down in Arizona.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
20 Jan 2021 07:31
I remember when Wolf wanted Holmgren, SF said No way, unless you doll out a 1st round pick, we did, and the rest is history,

Except it's not.

Holmgren was still under contract to the 49ers, who will receive a second-round draft choice as compensation. The Associated Press reported that the 49ers simply will keep the 1992 second-round pick promised to the Packers in a trade for linebacker Tim Harris.
Back then, as I recall, gaining teams had to compensate the losing organization who still held contractual rights to the new perspective coach. It was a league thing, not something negotiated between teams.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Put me down as a Campbell skeptic. I don't think those types of coaches work anymore. Best case, he attracts some talented coordinators that run things well for a while, but what then? Head coach vacancies open every year in search of precisely those people.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2021 11:12
Yoop wrote:
20 Jan 2021 07:31
I remember when Wolf wanted Holmgren, SF said No way, unless you doll out a 1st round pick, we did, and the rest is history,

Except it's not.

Holmgren was still under contract to the 49ers, who will receive a second-round draft choice as compensation. The Associated Press reported that the 49ers simply will keep the 1992 second-round pick promised to the Packers in a trade for linebacker Tim Harris.
Back then, as I recall, gaining teams had to compensate the losing organization who still held contractual rights to the new perspective coach. It was a league thing, not something negotiated between teams.
Yeah, the 1st-round pick was used to get Favre. I don't remember how exactly the transaction went down, but yes, it cost us a 2nd-rounder for Holmgren.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

OK, Bob.

Read More. Post Less.