Ted Thompson has passed away

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

RIP, Ted. :cry: I hope they have time to put together a nice tribute to him before the game. He was one of the most consequential people in team history, and it seemed like everyone in the league respected him.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Gutey and Murphy are supposed to talk about Ted at 3pm.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

He didn't go into it, but like most assumed, Murphy said part of why Ted was replaced was medical. Love that he's getting his name put up in the stadium. He deserves it. Hope we can give him that 2nd Super Bowl win as well. He deserves as much credit as Gutey for this year's team.

And Wilde almost lost it again when talking about Ted visiting him in the hospital and how too many fans hating him. I think Ted really had a special place in his heart. Something so many of us have with this team. We cheer hard, we love hard, we lose hard. Packers are a team like no other.

Cheer to all of you guys. Cheers to Ted. Go Pack Go! :beer2: :lombardi: :beer2:
RIP JustJeff

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Rest in Peace Ted.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

He gave us Rodgers anything else is whipped cream and cherries on top. 25 years of HOF quarterbacking thanks to his gutsy decision.

RIP Ted and please help it snow on Sunday!!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
21 Jan 2021 15:31
He didn't go into it, but like most assumed, Murphy said part of why Ted was replaced was medical. Love that he's getting his name put up in the stadium. He deserves it. Hope we can give him that 2nd Super Bowl win as well. He deserves as much credit as Gutey for this year's team.

And Wilde almost lost it again when talking about Ted visiting him in the hospital and how too many fans hating him. I think Ted really had a special place in his heart. Something so many of us have with this team. We cheer hard, we love hard, we lose hard. Packers are a team like no other.

I agree with Wilde that I have been pretty choked up today.

I just loved his approach. I love his humility. I loved his desire to be out of the spotlight. I loved his passing credit to everyone else and always taking the blame. I loved his courage. I mean everything that man did from 2005 to 2010 took BALLS. I loved his ability to find diamonds in the rough. I loved his UDFA finds.

I was so mad he never got the credit he deserved because of a horse sh*t non facemask call in AZ in 2009. Brett Favre sucking in 2007 in the NFCCG or Ruvell Martin not catching the ball or Brandon Jackson not making the right cut. I hated everything about 2014 in Seattle. TT's teams should have been to at minimum 3 SBs.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TT as very kind to me. When I volunteered with the team at the combine in 2005, he allowed me to be in rooms and take part in conversations he didn't have to grant me access to. It was an unreal experience, invaluable insight into my favorite team, and I have been a huge fan of his ever since.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Mike McCarthy on Ted:

RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I'm not crying, you're crying...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

#12:

RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Jan 2021 17:00
I'm not crying, you're crying...
That closing "Slow down, my friend" was a nice touch. :cry: 'Got me pretty misty-eyed here.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
21 Jan 2021 15:31

Wilde is just genuinely a good guy. He rarely says anything bad about anyone. Hes not a fan but he cares about the players on the team on a personal level. I used to love listening to his show when they would save their podcasts. Im not sure why they dont do that anymore. They only post short clips here and there.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I always said TT would nail WR and OL picks. He was a terrific scout when it came to offense. There was the occasional miss like Sherrod (who was derailed by a nasty injury) and Spriggs but David "Blocking" Bakhtiari, Josh "&%$@" Sitton, TJ "Big Wang" Lang, and Corey "Glory" Linsley were all massive steals. Defensively was another story. There were a ton of blunders on that side of the ball.

Its no secret I was very critical of TT in his later years but between 2010-2014 I was very supportive of his moves. After that I could see the talent eroding and new it was just time to move on. Before 2010 I was also very critical of him but after the SB I couldnt deny the results. It will be the same with Gutey.

I will say that Super Bowl was the happiest moment of my life. It was the first time I cried tears of joy and I was so proud of the team for the accomplishment. I will forever be grateful to Ted for that feeling and its one I hope I never forget.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

mnpackerbacker
Reactions:

Post by mnpackerbacker »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jan 2021 12:45
A stark reminder of that point in time, and how TT's drafting of AR as an eventual replacement for Favre, and how it was generally not well received by our fan base. Couple that with Favre's retire/unretire, ultimately landing with the Vikings and nearly taking them to the Super Bowl, thus leading to more unrest and TT bashing. Yet TT stuck to his guns, extended AR even before our SB season, and came off smelling like a rose. His handling of the difficult Favre/Rodgers situation was the biggest feather in his cap.

I still remember the T-shirts printed. "I blame Ted Thompson for the Super Bowl championship".

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

mnpackerbacker wrote:
21 Jan 2021 18:31

A stark reminder of that point in time, and how TT's drafting of AR as an eventual replacement for Favre, and how it was generally not well received by our fan base. Couple that with Favre's retire/unretire, ultimately landing with the Vikings and nearly taking them to the Super Bowl, thus leading to more unrest and TT bashing. Yet TT stuck to his guns, extended AR even before our SB season, and came off smelling like a rose. His handling of the difficult Favre/Rodgers situation was the biggest feather in his cap.

I still remember the T-shirts printed. "I blame Ted Thompson for the Super Bowl championship".
Yup. It's why I hate hearing language of Rodgers fell in Thompson's lap. Easy to say that hindsight but as you stated....what Ted Thompson did from 2005 - 2009 took BALLS and honestly is some of the best 5 years of performance of any GM.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

I was always a fan of him. No matter his moves you knew he did it because he felt it was good for the football team and not his ego.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Sorry to hear the sad news about Packers Hall of Famer GM Ted Thompson. So glad Ted Thompson was able to witness Super Bowl 45.

We've lost many of our heroes over the past year or so. Keep staying united and moving forward to see better days.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

IT. IS. TIME