General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Gary has been super underrated since day 1; people didn't like the pick and position congestion has kept volume stats down, but he's been a very effective pass rusher per snap always. Its time he takes over as an every down player, he's a legit stud as now his run defense is becoming as good as his pass rush.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Waldo wrote:
22 Jan 2021 12:56
he's a legit stud as now his run defense is becoming as good as his pass rush.
Yep, that is quickly becoming a seriously under-appreciated part of his game.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Waldo wrote:
22 Jan 2021 12:56
Gary has been super underrated since day 1; people didn't like the pick and position congestion has kept volume stats down, but he's been a very effective pass rusher per snap always. Its time he takes over as an every down player, he's a legit stud as now his run defense is becoming as good as his pass rush.
that was my main reason, it had nothing to do with Gary the player, we had just spent a 100 mil. on OLB, we where weak at DT and of course WR.

one of Gary's draft review plus was his ability against the run, I always thought that was his strong suit, however while his sack totals weren't high, he did have good hits and pressure numbers, I also remember reading that he was good dropping into coverage, but Prestin has gotten most of that duty, and done a so so job at it, obviously we could see Gary in that roll in the future.

we need everything Gary has to offer come Sunday.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
22 Jan 2021 14:26
it had nothing to do with Gary the player,
Yoop, with all due respect, you have been veeeerrry critical of Gary the player since he was drafted. It is well documented here. It's ok to admit it. ;)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:

:beer2: :aok:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
22 Jan 2021 14:32
Yoop wrote:
it had nothing to do with Gary the player,
Yoop, with all due respect, you have been veeeerrry critical of Gary the player since he was drafted. It is well documented here. It's ok to admit it. ;)
well sure, unlike most of you, I expect a player taken as high as Gary to actually start by mid season, and he actually showed us he wasn't ready, OLB is a rookie starting position for those taken that high, same as CB or WR and RB, if your going to spend slot 12 on any of those positions they need to be ready to rock and roll.

still it was easy to see why Smith and Guty liked him, Gary has always shown his athleticism, so it was a good bet he'd eventually play up to draft status, I think I complained mostly during his rookie season.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

lol

As yoop's main adversary in Gary debates (I literally coined #GaryGang in opposition to the naysayers), I can confirm he DID in fact hate Gary the player, with everything from accusations that nobody had him as a 1st-round pick to the idea he was just an athlete-in-pads and saying that those types of prospects just go on to work at McDonald's because athleticism is not enough (which is true, but neglected the example of many players who became better pros than college players).

*edit* he also insisted that we "drafted a backup" not simply because he wouldn't start as a rookie, but he believed that the Smiths' contract precluded him from starting for the length of his rookie contract. I notice he's moving away from that second part now to just slamming the pick for not starting as a rookie, which of course is very common for rookies, even those drafted in the Top 15.
Last edited by Labrev on 22 Jan 2021 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2021 14:33
Yoop wrote:

haha, we need to bury Tom Brady under the logo at the 50, take a time out, say a few words, maybe a couple verses of hang the old yellow ribbon, and then a round of drinks for the good old boys :beer2:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Jan 2021 14:48
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

haha, we need to bury Tom Brady under the logo at the 50, take a time out, say a few words, maybe a couple verses of hang the old yellow ribbon, and then a round of drinks for the good old boys :beer2:
Can we have you draft an apology "I Was Wrong Poem" if he does!? :mrgreen:

And I will join in with an Aaron Rodgers Apology poem too for getting on him last Sunday when he puts up 350 yards and 4 TDs. :aok:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
22 Jan 2021 14:46
lol

As yoop's main adversary in Gary debates (I literally coined #GaryGang in opposition to the naysayers), I can confirm he DID in fact hate Gary the player, with everything from accusations that nobody had him as a 1st-round pick to the idea he was just an athlete-in-pads and saying that those types of prospects just go on to work at McDonald's because athleticism is not enough (which is true, but neglected the example of many players who became better pros than college players).
well obviously your word settles this debate, do you have a post to back any of this up, excluding the comment concerning he wasn't worth a first, which I mimicked from draft evaluators.

as I actually did say back then, once we bought the Smiths I had no interest in using slot 12 on a OLB, and I did say that Gary was not my first choice if we where to take one as well.

I've also said many many times, I miss on more picks then I get right, so I don't mind being wrong on draft picks, but don't expect me to admit it :rotf:

I always say though, well, actually I think this is the first time I've said this :lol: Me and Teddy agreed on something, one thing, Clay Mathews would be a steal at slot 26, I got that one right. :aok:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Jan 2021 15:04

I always say though, well, actually I think this is the first time I've said this :lol: Me and Teddy agreed on something, one thing, Clay Mathews would be a steal at slot 26, I got that one right. :aok:
I will give you credit for that. I was a Senior in High School that year and you banged the Matthews drum REALLY hard. He wasn't really on my radar because I was all about BJ Raji.

It was actually my prom night and I was walking down Grand March (witch a radio headset of the Draft going on of course) and when they announced me and my date's name (I had a G Logo on my suit coat)...the radio said there is a trade with New England...the Packers are on the clock.

I could not keep myself from freaking out while the spotlight was on me and my date. I just knew it was Matthews and it was a lot do to you banging his drum really hard.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2021 14:54
Yoop wrote:
22 Jan 2021 14:48
go pak go wrote:

Can we have you draft an apology "I Was Wrong Poem" if he does!? :mrgreen:

And I will join in with an Aaron Rodgers Apology poem too for getting on him last Sunday when he puts up 350 yards and 4 TDs. :aok:
I flunked drafting, if there is one thing I can't do is draft :rotf: seriously though, we need a repeat of last week from Gary, Clark and the Smiths, plus probably a few stunt and blitz packages just to keep them off balance, I hope Pettine has a few more tricks up his sleeve.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
And I will join in with an Aaron Rodgers Apology poem too for getting on him last Sunday when he puts up 350 yards and 4 TDs.
I certainly wouldn't want an apology if Rodgers is flawless this week; you said that he needs to play better for us to win, and if he plays better and we win, there's no need to apologize.

I want an apology if he makes 4-6 bad throws and we still win because our TEAM is better than their TEAM and because we don't need to expect perfection to succeed.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Jan 2021 15:25
go pak go wrote:
And I will join in with an Aaron Rodgers Apology poem too for getting on him last Sunday when he puts up 350 yards and 4 TDs.
I certainly wouldn't want an apology if Rodgers is flawless this week; you said that he needs to play better for us to win, and if he plays better and we win, there's no need to apologize.

I want an apology if he makes 4-6 bad throws and we still win because our TEAM is better than their TEAM and because we don't need to expect perfection to succeed.
I mean we were literally an unlucky bounce away after a fumble of the Rams being being down 7 and the ball on like the 35 yardline and a lot of faux momentum.

I don't have any issue with any of my statements. And yes. I do expect we will need a freaking amazing performance from Rodgers in a few weeks if we are fortunate enough to play in Tampa. I don't think that is required this week though.

That's the funny thing about football. You can be the superior team. You can play better but still lose. All it took was a few missed TDs because of poor throws and a drop plus a bad bounce of a fumble and our ILB not being able to intercept the ball because he has a club on his hand....and suddenly we are nervous as all get out on a game we dominated.

We have more heartbreaking losses than any team in the league. I am going to continue being a tight wad, nervous-wreck, fan until Gute does the same pose and wears the same has as in my avatar. :aok:
Last edited by go pak go on 22 Jan 2021 15:53, edited 3 times in total.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2021 15:08
Yoop wrote:
22 Jan 2021 15:04

I will give you credit for that. I was a Senior in High School that year and you banged the Matthews drum REALLY hard. He wasn't really on my radar because I was all about BJ Raji.

It was actually my prom night and I was walking down Grand March (witch a radio headset of the Draft going on of course) and when they announced me and my date's name (I had a G Logo on my suit coat)...the radio said there is a trade with New England...the Packers are on the clock.

I could not keep myself from freaking out while the spotlight was on me and my date. I just knew it was Matthews and it was a lot do to you banging his drum really hard.
haha, good one, we do the darndest things under the watchful eye, of everyone :lol:

Years ago I subscribed to Draft Daddy, Gil Brandts publication, so I had confidence in his opinion, and when he said Mathews was the 2nd best lber in the class ( I forget who he said was number one, Aho ?????) he said Mathews would go under the radar do to lack of experience and stats at OLB unless he really did well at the combine, which he did.

I too figured Raji would be our pick, and figured Mathews would be gone prior to our 2nd, when Ted moved back up to take him at #26 it took me by surprise, I had to pinch myself, make sure it wasn't a dream :)

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I felt really strongly that Connor Barwin was just as good as Clay Matthews without the wild draft capital we gave up for him.

That didn't pan out too well.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yikes

:munch:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Hate that guy because he didn't play every snap in 2019.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

German_Panzer wrote:
18 Jan 2021 02:58
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Jan 2021 02:53
Yup. It'll be a formidable opponent. But I think we are better prepared than last year.
Last year the 49ers were an absolute powerhouse of the NFC. TB is not near them (which doesn't mean it will be easy of course). Plus AR is way better than last year, our WR's are better, our run game is better, and our defense is at least not worse. ;) And Brady is in an age that can show at the end of a season. We have a 60% shot to win this.

In fact I'd think KC vs. Bills is closer than our match-up, wouldn't u think?
I think we’re in a good position. But I do worry about bizarre and unusual plays. Our ST could be a weakness. We SHOULD win this. But hold on to the ball and make a good game plan. The talent level on our side is there if the coaching is equal.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Jan 2021 03:32
German_Panzer wrote:
18 Jan 2021 02:58
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Jan 2021 02:53
Yup. It'll be a formidable opponent. But I think we are better prepared than last year.
Last year the 49ers were an absolute powerhouse of the NFC. TB is not near them (which doesn't mean it will be easy of course). Plus AR is way better than last year, our WR's are better, our run game is better, and our defense is at least not worse. ;) And Brady is in an age that can show at the end of a season. We have a 60% shot to win this.

In fact I'd think KC vs. Bills is closer than our match-up, wouldn't u think?
I think we’re in a good position. But I do worry about bizarre and unusual plays. Our ST could be a weakness. We SHOULD win this. But hold on to the ball and make a good game plan. The talent level on our side is there if the coaching is equal.
This is a team with STs just as bad as ours. Other than winning which is of course all that matters, can't say I'm impressed with how they have won. They beat Brees who couldn't throw the ball unless it was a turnover. Heinicke was launching it all over the place on them. If he was more accurate the Washed Out Foozeball Team could have won. Even the Falcons got ahead of them their last regular season game in the 3rd Q before they imploded. Watching them play, kind of reminds me of an all-star team way back when. They are good but they never really seem to be in sync. They'll string enough plays together when they need to. Right now we are playing O as a total team so the sum is greater than the parts and the parts are great. When our D is allowed to get in your face, they are playing great.

I expect them to blitz early and often and we'll be ready to take advantage of it. D will play a soft ass zone for the their script and tighten up in the 2nd Q. We are going to be protecting a two score lead most of the way. And will be getting ready to face the Bills shortly.