2020 Positional Draft Talk - WR

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
22 Apr 2020 19:45
I watched him a lot, probably more than anyone else in this class right now. But didnt watch any nfl network breakdowns or read any nfl draftnetwork or Walter summaries about him.

I don’t see ‘pushing off’. I see a good physicality on a select few plays, not many, but physicality I like. I love aggression when the ball is in the air. Plenty of separation on a lot of plays.

Have just heard this echoed from a few people that he doesn’t get separation and only pushes off. Just few like that isn’t coincidence . Just wondering where this opinion is coming from.
You were conspicuously missing when [mention]salmar80[/mention] got us going watching cut-ups, but this is what members of the board had to say:

viewtopic.php?p=1532#p1532

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

watch Mims will go slot 14 right after Lamb and Juedy, a 3 receiver run and the forum will go lambastic :rotf:

and here we are questioning his ability, his arm wrestling DB's, he only ran a small route tree in college, and he rounded a bunch of those, if he goes teens or low 20's we will all be shocked.
Last edited by Yoop on 23 Apr 2020 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 07:22
BF004 wrote:
I watched him a lot, probably more than anyone else in this class right now. But didnt watch any nfl network breakdowns or read any nfl draftnetwork or Walter summaries about him.

I don’t see ‘pushing off’. I see a good physicality on a select few plays, not many, but physicality I like. I love aggression when the ball is in the air. Plenty of separation on a lot of plays.

Have just heard this echoed from a few people that he doesn’t get separation and only pushes off. Just few like that isn’t coincidence . Just wondering where this opinion is coming from.
You were conspicuously missing when @salmar80 got us going watching cut-ups, but this is what members of the board had to say:

Did totally miss that. Seems like everyone liked him till Yoho came in. I'm sold. :lol: :beer2:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 08:17
NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 07:22
BF004 wrote:

You were conspicuously missing when @salmar80 got us going watching cut-ups, but this is what members of the board had to say:

Did totally miss that. Seems like everyone liked him till Yoho came in. I'm sold. :lol: :beer2:
YoHo is the Bob McGinn of Packer-Huddle, tough grader :)

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Did anyone rewind the clock on Shenault and look at 2018 cut-ups? I might try to do that this morning.

From CHTV Draft Guide:
In a nutshell:
Shenault is maybe the captain of the all-watch-his-2018 tape team. Shenault was banged up and a bit ineffective in 2019, but his true freshman tape from 2017 and 2018 show a game-breaking player.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
23 Apr 2020 08:22
BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 08:17
YoHo is the Bob McGinn of Packer-Huddle, tough grader :)
I mean, unless I liked a guy early in the process. Then I'll find a way to make his grades pop all day long :lol:

Man, I'd love it if Mims goes early, though. I like him plenty, I just think he's risky. If he goes earlier, then a guy I like more slides down.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 09:23
Did anyone rewind the clock on Shenault and look at 2018 cut-ups? I might try to do that this morning.

From CHTV Draft Guide:
In a nutshell:
Shenault is maybe the captain of the all-watch-his-2018 tape team. Shenault was banged up and a bit ineffective in 2019, but his true freshman tape from 2017 and 2018 show a game-breaking player.
First time on this new site. Anyway, I like Shenault, but his style of play makes me believe he'll be banged up most of the time. Like to see the Pack find a player who doesn't run into contact as much as Shenault. One guy I'm really a fan of is Tyler Johnson on Minnesota. He should be available in round 3 if the pack are interested.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Christo wrote:
23 Apr 2020 11:53
NCF wrote:

From CHTV Draft Guide:
In a nutshell:
First time on this new site. Anyway, I like Shenault, but his style of play makes me believe he'll be banged up most of the time. Like to see the Pack find a player who doesn't run into contact as much as Shenault. One guy I'm really a fan of is Tyler Johnson on Minnesota. He should be available in round 3 if the pack are interested.
Welcome to the site!!

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Christo wrote:
23 Apr 2020 11:53
NCF wrote:

From CHTV Draft Guide:
In a nutshell:
Glad you made it!

I love some Tyler Johnson. I think he's ready to contribute day one and is gunna be a real steady 600-1000 yard receiver, consistent, but always lack that eliteness. I would love to take a flyer on the elite athlete in the first, and get a steady eddy in the 3rd with Johnson. WR would be fixed for the next 4 years.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 12:54
I love some Tyler Johnson. I think he's ready to contribute day one and is gunna be a real steady 600-1000 yard receiver, consistent, but always lack that eliteness. I would love to take a flyer on the elite athlete in the first, and get a steady eddy in the 3rd with Johnson. WR would be fixed for the next 4 years.
Prior to signing Funchess, I too liked the idea of athletic dynamo early, steady solid guy in the 3rd or 4th at WR.

Now that we have Funchess in the group, I wonder how useful two extra bodies at WR would really be if they're both drafted high enough to make a roster cutdown prohibitive.

Adams, Lazzard, Funchess, rookie, MVS, EQSB... that's 6 already. Not saying that MVS and EQSB should be locks, but drafting a guy in the top 120 picks would make it a ckise to a lock that one of those guys gets cut, and I don't love that approach.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Apr 2020 13:13
BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 12:54
Prior to signing Funchess, I too liked the idea of athletic dynamo early, steady solid guy in the 3rd or 4th at WR.

Now that we have Funchess in the group, I wonder how useful two extra bodies at WR would really be if they're both drafted high enough to make a roster cutdown prohibitive.

Adams, Lazzard, Funchess, rookie, MVS, EQSB... that's 6 already. Not saying that MVS and EQSB should be locks, but drafting a guy in the top 120 picks would make it a ckise to a lock that one of those guys gets cut, and I don't love that approach.
Funchess doesn't change my draft strategy literally at all. Protects you a bit if the board falls bad and you don't get one Thursday or Friday, don't need to panic and make a bad trade up just so you don't suck there.

But we have some hard resigns next year, likely going to 2, maybe 3 of Clark, Bakhiari, Linsley, King or Aaron Jones. Fantastic if Funchess does amazing, just take your comp pick and run, but I'm not resigning him. Would almost feel the same way about OJ Howard. Would love to add him, this year, but then he just gets added to that list next offseason of guys we can't resign.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Finally got there, took a long time. But here are my final WR rankings.

They are ranked within their tiers. 8 guys with a first round grade, i.e., I would be happy with at 30. I was really really close with the group of Higgins, Ruggs, and Reagor going to round 2, really had a hard time splitting them, but they all just made the cut. 21 receivers I would be happy taking with a top 100 pick. That is pretty crazy.

If they aren't on the list, I either don't like them until Saturday or I didn't scout them.

Call me an idiot if you wish, but this list isn't for you, it's for me. Just like it actually written down so I can come back and see in 4 years how I did and don't just have to assume I always loved or hated a guy and I was always so much smarter than everyone else.

Blue
CeeDee Lamb
Jerry Jeudy

Red
Justin Jefferson
Brandon Aiyuk

1st
Tee Higgins
Jalen Reagor
Henry Ruggs
Denzel Mims

2nd
Bryan Edwards
Michael Pittman
Devin Duvernay
Laviska Shenault
Donovan Peoples-Jones

3rd
Chase Claypool
Quartney Davis
Antonio Gandy-Golden
Tyler Johnson
Van Jefferson
K.J. Hill
Joe Reed
Dezmon Patmon

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 13:46
Funchess doesn't change my draft strategy literally at all. Protects you a bit if the board falls bad and you don't get one Thursday or Friday, don't need to panic and make a bad trade up just so you don't suck there.

But we have some hard resigns next year, likely going to 2, maybe 3 of Clark, Bakhiari, Linsley, King or Aaron Jones. Fantastic if Funchess does amazing, just take your comp pick and run, but I'm not resigning him. Would almost feel the same way about OJ Howard. Would love to add him, this year, but then he just gets added to that list next offseason of guys we can't resign.
Long-term or medium-term, I agree... I just don't think our roster composition for 2020 makes sense to add two must-roster WRs right now. But if you're ready to move on from MVS, EQSB, or both, then it makes total sense. Or if the second WR comes in rounds 6 or 7 and can a PS stash, like Mooney

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Apr 2020 14:44
But if you're ready to move on from MVS, EQSB, or both, then it makes total sense.
I have a feeling most and, in my opinion, the Packers, probably are much more willing to do so than you are.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Long-term or medium-term, I agree... I just don't think our roster composition for 2020 makes sense to add two must-roster WRs right now. But if you're ready to move on from MVS, EQSB, or both, then it makes total sense. Or if the second WR comes in rounds 6 or 7 and can a PS stash, like Mooney
I mean, we can keep 6 WR's. Maybe even 7 if you get a guy like a Higgins, where he and Funchess can kind split a TE roll.

Adams
Rookie 1
Rookie 2

Then
Funchess, 1 M dead money if we release,
MVS
EQSB
Lazard
Kumerow

I have ABSOLUTELY no problem whittling that list down to 3 guys, if not 2, potentially 4.

Isn't quite giving up on MVS or EQ yet, you are giving them a full training camp and preseason yet. That is their 3rd one, if they aren't showing it. I mean giving up on 5th and 6th rounders in their 3rd year when neither has cut, isn't a big deal, even if there is some untapped potential.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Similar conversation that we had last year, I am 100% on board on adding as much talent as possible there.

I am not willing to give up on just MVS. I am not willing to give up on just EQSB.

But I am willing to give up on likely one of the two by the end of preseason. If not them, then Lazard or Funchess.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 14:49
YoHoChecko wrote:
But if you're ready to move on from MVS, EQSB, or both, then it makes total sense.
I have a feeling most and, in my opinion, the Packers, probably are much more willing to do so than you are.
I think you're probably right. I think MVS is a slow learner (also there are things he may never get) and so a new system was tougher for him than others. I think EQSB getting injured last year has zero impact on the assessment of his ability going into year two as a guy competing for a top three role and if we have camp this year, he'll look improved again. But I know a lot of others are fine with it. And I'm fine if they lose a battle, too. I just don't want to set up a battle that they're destined to lose due to draft slot by taking 2 guys in the top 3 or 4 rounds.

I am very down on the Funchess signing, but the $1 M dead money, while not a lot, seems to indicate we plan on keeping him. And I don't for a second buy the idea that these bigger slot guys are essentially TEs in this system. That's not at all how this scheme seems to work. TEs have to block here; that's why we're keeping a 36 year old on the roster, and it's one of the reasons Jimmy Graham wasn't the player we wanted him to be (I mean, the fact that his receiving explosion took a big hit hurt, too). But having a big WR who can block from the slot and having a TE who can block inline or from the backfield are very different things.

We have no deficiency in large bodied receivers.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

This will be an unpopular take, but Lazard is nothing more than Samkon Gado 2.0. LaDarius Gunter if you will. Kyler Fackrell getting 10 sacks.

Guy had his moments, but I have next to no expectations for him this year. I will even say I think it is more likely than not he doesn't make the roster.

The biggest thing in his favor is Aaron seems to trust him, just feel like Gute and LaFleur don't care about that, lol.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 15:07
This will be an unpopular take, but Lazard is nothing more than Samkon Gado 2.0. LaDarius Gunter if you will. Kyler Fackrell getting 10 sacks.

Guy had his moments, but I have next to no expectations for him this year. I will even say I think it is more likely than not he doesn't make the roster.

The biggest thing in his favor is Aaron seems to trust him, just feel like Gute and LaFleur don't care about that, lol.
That's actually a fair take. I won't even argue a little bit there.

I really like the idea of our WRs being something like

Adams and Rookie as the starters on the outside. MVS backing up the rookie on the otuside.
Then Funchess, EQSB, and Lazzard being the "big slot" 3rd WR role.

Granted, we move everyone around. The Big Slot guys can all play outside with Adams or the rookie moving inside.

But in terms of role, Adams is our #1. A rookie needs to take #2 by the horns. And then we have a fairly defined role for these big-bodied guys. But we don't need three of them. And I could easily see a scenario in which, of the three, Lazard is in last place.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Apr 2020 15:13
BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 15:07

That's actually a fair take. I won't even argue a little bit there.

I really like the idea of our WRs being something like

Adams and Rookie as the starters on the outside. MVS backing up the rookie on the otuside.
Then Funchess, EQSB, and Lazzard being the "big slot" 3rd WR role.

Granted, we move everyone around. The Big Slot guys can all play outside with Adams or the rookie moving inside.

But in terms of role, Adams is our #1. A rookie needs to take #2 by the horns. And then we have a fairly defined role for these big-bodied guys. But we don't need three of them. And I could easily see a scenario in which, of the three, Lazard is in last place.
I don't agree with your assessment that it's better than 50-50 he gets cut, but I can see him falling to the bottom of the group. I am fairly certain he all but has a spot on the 53 or 55 or whatever the hell it is these days.

Read More. Post Less.