Buccaneers @ Packers - NFCC Playoff GDT - 1/24 - 2:05 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
24 Jan 2021 20:53
lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Jan 2021 20:46
go pak go wrote:
24 Jan 2021 20:35

We did not over achieve. This was a great team. We under achieved
Absolutely underachieved. This could have been a 15-1 regular season and we should be in the SB. The thing we had in common in 3 losses this season was mistake prone football. Mistakes like ST gaffes, bad punts, dropped passes, fumbles... These are things bad teams do. We werent a bad team the majority of the year but in our losses we played like bad teams play.
Two of our loses this year to the same damn team was because our OL got manhandled again - just like SF did last year - so we couldn't run the ball and AR got harassed all game long. Linsely, Jenkins and Bak are great but we need a center if Corey goes, perhaps Runyan will be our RT going forward and we need a RG. If we don't fix this we'll get mauled again in 2021.
Youre a smart fan pugger. I agree. Although I think youd probably want Runyan at OG.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Aaron Jones #*%# the bed big time today. It was almost like he got concussed or something before he actually went out. Two fumbles on the exact same type of hits...like wtf
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

This was a game that realistically could’ve been won by the Pack. But a culmination of errors made a huge difference. Plays that stood out to me.

1. Savage MUST win that jump ball for 50 yards. Brady had no business throwing that ball, but he had confidence in his guy. That honestly has the ball getting knocked away 9 times out of 10. And it set the stage for the next play.
2. Gary lost contain and Fournette rumbled. Maybe somebody else was supposed to have the edge, but either way nobody was there. And Fournette knew how to exploit that. Result was a 20 yard run because a basic defense failed to contain.
3. Turner and Wagner didn’t play well. If one Tackle is playing poorly, you can compensate. If both are being spun, that’s a really hard thing.
4. King before half. Even if Pettine called the wrong play, King knows he can’t let anybody get behind him. Basic football.
5. Aaron Rogers had a legit shot to score on 3rd down. Why not tuck and run? Just bob the ball like he did last week as the LB closes. At least he gets down to the 1 or 2 yard line and gives MLF a shot to go for it on 4th. I think Aaron wishes he could do that one again, because he threw a ball that had no chance into double coverage.
6. MLF took the game out of his star QBs hands. This is what you DON’T do in playoffs. You go for it on 4th and 8 to tie the game. You don’t depend on your D that has given up big plays, and some of them stupid plays, all game long. Live or die with the ball in the MVPs hands!
7. Kudos to Dillon. The kid played a good game.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
24 Jan 2021 20:44
If Rodgers wants out of GB trade him to the Texans for Watson.

I was a GB fan before AR and will be when Rodgers is gone.

Yeah, the team &%$@ the bed today. Rodgers played well but isn't blameless in the loss. There is enough blame to go around.
time to peddle Rodgers, but we've already got our future QB, we chose Rodgers successor rather then get help for Rodgers, peddle him for the draft picks, time for a over haul, might as well get on with it.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
24 Jan 2021 22:37
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

Yeah, the team &%$@ the bed today. Rodgers played well but isn't blameless in the loss. There is enough blame to go around.
time to peddle Rodgers, but we've already got our future QB, we chose Rodgers successor rather then get help for Rodgers, peddle him for the draft picks, time for a over haul, might as well get on with it.
Love is not ready to replace Rodgers. He had no normal offseason and couldn't beat out Doyle so he was #3 all year and never dressed for a game. You don't toss aside a MVP who was 1 game away from the Super Bowl for an unknown kid like that.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
24 Jan 2021 22:37
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

You've looked at the salary cap numbers, right?
RIP JustJeff

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Tonight I find myself feeling badly for Aaron Rodgers. Is that feeling misguided? Maybe. Maybe he is as responsible for this loss as any of his coaches or teammates. But I still feel awful for the guy, regardless.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Trade Rodgers? No way. Although you sort of do need a QB who can scramble for the playoffs. Had he scrambled when we got near the goal line instead of throwing to Davante, different game entirely. But I was hoping to draft a QB going into the 2020 draft, not to actually replace Rodgers, but to light a fire under him. Mission accomplished. No part of me actually wants to move on from him. As far as I'm concerned, we spent a 1st on 4 years of peak Rodgers.

This team seems like the same old playoff chokers as we were under MM, but I just have to think MLF won't stand for that like MM did. And the first thing he should do is fire Pettine. We've seen this already with Dom, and I think part of the complacency that became our identity stems from MM absolutely refusing to hold anyone accountable. So even if you think Pettine has done an acceptable job, which I guess he has, what happened today was not acceptable and someone needs to be held accountable. So fire Pettine, absolutely do not bring King back (even if I think he's probably a slightly above average #2 CB), and bring in Wade Phillips, who always seems to field #1 defenses.

We also could really use a top ILB or another DL. I think we're pretty much forced to cut Preston Smith (and honestly some have mentioned Zadarius, which I would try hard not to do but this cap is going to be unforgiving). I would love to keep Jones, and maybe after today his price will be cheaper, but it's just a fact you don't overpay for RB, so maybe if we could figure out a way to give him a 2-year deal that could work, if we could fit him in under the cap somehow. But if he leaves, I have to assume MLF is trying to build a RB corps like Shanahan's, and if that's the case, the individual RBs shouldn't really matter that much.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YOU DONT TRADE GODS.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Also it was painfully obvious what the GOAT thought of our roster. He repeatedly targeted Chandon Sullivan and Kevin King so that tells us that they are the weak spots.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Captain_Ben wrote:
24 Jan 2021 22:50
Tonight I find myself feeling badly for Aaron Rodgers. Is that feeling misguided? Maybe. Maybe he is as responsible for this loss as any of his coaches or teammates. But I still feel awful for the guy, regardless.
Agreed. I feel vastly more heartbreak for Rodgers than any other negative emotions.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

texas wrote:
24 Jan 2021 23:46
Also it was painfully obvious what the GOAT thought of our roster. He repeatedly targeted Chandon Sullivan and Kevin King so that tells us that they are the weak spots.
You cant expect him to target Jaire. So hes gonna go at the other guys. I thought Chadon did ok. I havent seen a Packers CB be that bad since Ahmad Carroll. Somehow King outsucked Dumbarious.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Labrev wrote:
25 Jan 2021 00:20
Captain_Ben wrote:
24 Jan 2021 22:50
Agreed. I feel vastly more heartbreak for Rodgers than any other negative emotions.
15-20 years from now if ESPN 30 for 30s are still around there will absolutely be a documentary on how a franchise drove a Dodge Demon of a QB like a Honda Civic. Theyve poured unleaded gas and &%$@ oil in this thing for years. Not a single 1st round weapon around him. Two 1st round draft picks in Bulaga and Sherrod went to the offense and Sherrod was bad. The rest went to a lot of bad defenders. Then this year you take a QB.

Failed.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I have to tip my hat to Bruce Arians. I thought their band of mostly ageing big-name mercenaries had little chance of becoming a coherent team. I mean, Brady, Gronk, Suh, Brown, Fournette... It had a good chance to mimic the Hindenburg, but the lightning never struck.

I don't hate Brady, but the dude has the kind of luck that simply feels unfair. He played a HORRIBLE game. Over five punt throws into the secondary. But he picked a week when the Packers out-mistaked him. :messedup:

It's can't say the Packers were the better team after losing to them twice, but it sure felt like we beat ourselves both times.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

I could see Rodgers deepthinking his situation. Love/SB/faithfulness will be the key points. It very much depends what he wants his legacy to be and what he thinks MLF & Gute are really up to. There needs to be some honest talk ASAP. If he wants to chase the GOAT and still make 3+ titles he needs to push for NE or 49ers or whatever team he likes. If he wants to be remembered as a faithful Packer he needs to make sure that he can still play 4 years without Love interfering.

If I was in #12's shoes I'd go to better equipped teams and chase titles. The NFL is a mercenary business and we see with Favre how honorless fans/franchises are; they let him have his #4 retired despite treason (= the Vikings move), so not much benefit of staying faithful. I also think that drafting Love at #1 signals Gute/MLF not thinking that Rodgers is able to carry this team for more than 1-2 years (it only matters here what they think, not what is the reality), so his next crisis might see him benched and from there it can go downhill.

So in short: I see a real chance of 30% that Rodgers does not come back.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

This game was an excellent example that your MVP can come in and play a pretty good game and you can still lose.

I'd say that Aaron wasn't clicking at 100%, but he was more than enough in doing his part. He was almost running for his life too many times. I just can't find fault in any part of his game except for the 3rd down from the 8. I wanted him to run for the EZ like Elway ran against us a few years ago in the SB. Lay it all out for the team. But I still think that's too picky on my part.

As well as Turner and Wagner played for the most part this year, they both sucked. And that needs to be evaluated for next January. They won't go anyplace. But something needs to be done. Our OLine sucked in pass pro in two consecutive NFCCGs. It was more on the edge this time than last year. Even so...

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Jan 2021 02:49
I don't hate Brady, but the dude has the kind of luck that simply feels unfair. He played a HORRIBLE game. Over five punt throws into the secondary. But he picked a week when the Packers out-mistaked him. :messedup:
That's why he went to an All-Star team that could cover his decline, just like Peyton did with Denver. It seems en vouge nowadays to sugercoat your legacy with moves like that. Some decades ago he'd just have had retired or played one more pathetic season with the Pats.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

His decline has nothing to do with that first long pass. There's NO WAY he should've thrown that ball 50 yards downfield. Savage was there. But Brady just wanted his guy to make a play. And it happened! 9 times out of 10, that never succeeds. But it did for him on this day. He threw those other INTs on passes that he had no business throwing. He just didn't want to get sacked. And he got what they deserved on those. But we didn't make him pay.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

German_Panzer wrote:
25 Jan 2021 03:51
I could see Rodgers deepthinking his situation. Love/SB/faithfulness will be the key points. It very much depends what he wants his legacy to be and what he thinks MLF & Gute are really up to. There needs to be some honest talk ASAP. If he wants to chase the GOAT and still make 3+ titles he needs to push for NE or 49ers or whatever team he likes. If he wants to be remembered as a faithful Packer he needs to make sure that he can still play 4 years without Love interfering.

If I was in #12's shoes I'd go to better equipped teams and chase titles. The NFL is a mercenary business and we see with Favre how honorless fans/franchises are; they let him have his #4 retired despite treason (= the Vikings move), so not much benefit of staying faithful. I also think that drafting Love at #1 signals Gute/MLF not thinking that Rodgers is able to carry this team for more than 1-2 years (it only matters here what they think, not what is the reality), so his next crisis might see him benched and from there it can go downhill.

I think your grass is greener on other teams -thinking is on a whole another level. :messedup: NE and 49ers combined to have as many wins as us in the regular season, both missed the playoffs. The Green Bay Packers LITERALLY gave AR the best shot at getting to the SB this season. He's in a well-working, exciting scheme with a young offensive-minded HC with a phenomenal 28-8 record as HC.

AR will go home and deepthink this for the duration of a whiskey and a cigar, and then he's back to chasing SBs as our QB.

The real discussion will be how we extend/restructure his contract to bring his 2021 cap hit down. We will have some roster turnover, as always, but there are plenty of ways to get cap space to seek reinforcements in an offseason where there may be actual bargains available.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Jan 2021 04:18
German_Panzer wrote:
25 Jan 2021 03:51

I think your grass is greener on other teams -thinking is on a whole another level. :messedup: NE and 49ers combined to have as many wins as us in the regular season, both missed the playoffs. The Green Bay Packers LITERALLY gave AR the best shot at getting to the SB this season. He's in a well-working, exciting scheme with a young offensive-minded HC with a phenomenal 28-8 record as HC.

AR will go home and deepthink this for the duration of a whiskey and a cigar, and then he's back to chasing SBs as our QB.

The real discussion will be how we extend/restructure his contract to bring his 2021 cap hit down. We will have some roster turnover, as always, but there are plenty of ways to get cap space to seek reinforcements in an offseason where there may be actual bargains available.
You can’t say they gave Rodgers his best shot when they took a QB with the first pick. You just can’t.

You also can’t get Rodgers to restructure. If I was him I’d tell the team to go to hell and to pay me my money. If they want to get a guy to replace me why should I be looking to help a team that doesn’t have the best interest for my future?