The call was for Cover 1

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

If we keep Pettine, then the accountability for the crappy defense from here on out now falls on MLF. And I think he knows that.

Time to tell Pettine to...

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

This is the dumbest play call in Packers history. It really is. It might be up there in NFL history. From the personnel to the play. King, pan fried noodles himself in one on one coverage with only Redmond playing the high safety.

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. Pettine is finished. Yoop you’ve gotta stop simping here.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Jan 2021 11:03
The fact utterly clueless S Will Redmond was the lone deep COVER-1 safety was diarrhea topping on a poop cake of a play. What he was doing as last line of defense instead of, for example, our fast starting safety Darnell Savage, I'll never understand. Getting to the sideline in time would've been tough even for Savage, but he might have had a chance.
Lol I didn't even consider this angle.

Yeah bye bye Pettine. Better than Dom but not good enough.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Guessing I’m in the extreme minority, I think Pettine called an awesome game.

Before half guess I didn’t agree with, but I as yelling for them to not give an easy 5-10 yard out there. That is on King more than anyone, although probably should have had two deep there.

Like if King even could play below average, we would have killed, we took away the run and short passing game and let Brady take his shots which were for the most part incredibly well covered.

But I mean literally, King in place, just don’t jump too early.

Savage perfectly in place with some nice pressure. Defend the pass.

Stuff the run beautifully, place to the whistle or don’t miss 4 tackles on Fournette.

Good pressure again, Redmond, catch the ball.

Any of those 4 things happen, we honestly probably win.

So don’t know if those 4 issues above or more on LaFleur, Pettine or position coaches.

I mean we were down 5 with like 16 minutes left, our D gave up 3 points and got 3 takeaways.

Tough loss to swallow. Tampa came to play hard, their DBs were $%@# missiles out there. But like flip a coin on any 5-6 plays and we win.

Looking at the season long work, D ended the year too good, other than ST, I don’t think I’d touch the coaching staff unless there was an exact person you had in mind to jump in at DC.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2021 14:51
Guessing I’m in the extreme minority, I think Pettine called an awesome game.

Looking at the season long work, D ended the year too good, other than ST, I don’t think I’d touch the coaching staff unless there was an exact person you had in mind to jump in at DC.
I agree. I think he did too. I just hate, hate, hate the play before half so much. And I also just think/hope MLF has his own guy in mind.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Is Jerry Gray a candidate? Or is he too much at fault for the mistakes?
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I thought the coverage scheme on the back end was good, minus the 1 play. The front scheme wasn't pressure heavy enough in the first half. It wasn't until the 2nd half that he brought out the big guns and went for broke. Not coincidentally did that lead to 3 picks. In the first half it was a slow developing blitz to start off then rushing 4 with some line stunts (not blitzes).

All in all not a BAD game called, but that call before half is inexcusable. That was Gregg Williams bad!
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 25 Jan 2021 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

He called a good game overall, but he has got to be the only person on planet Earth who would not drop every DB he possibly could into the end-zone to defend against the obvious TD shot, and that play was a game-changer.

I also just don't really like his defense. :idn:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Horrible call

And then add to fact that Packer players were substituting as TB is lining up. Happened at least twice. In the frickin’ Championship game!

Fire Pettine and possibly look at a coach who works under Todd Bowls. Bowls out coached LaFluer.
Love is the answer…

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Foosball wrote:
25 Jan 2021 15:24
Horrible call

And then add to fact that Packer players were substituting as TB is lining up. Happened at least twice. In the frickin’ Championship game!

Fire Pettine and possibly look at a coach who works under Todd Bowls. Bowls out coached LaFluer.
Bowles did not outcoach LaFleur. Is LaFleur supposed to prevent Jones from fumbling? Is LaFleur supposed to make Adams catch 2 TDs in the redzone? Is LaFleur supposed to make Rick Wagner and Billy Turner good? You can protect Billy Turner with Bak out there but they both needed help and its just not possible. Get some sense.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Jan 2021 15:29
Foosball wrote:
Horrible call

Bowles did not outcoach LaFleur. Is LaFleur supposed to prevent Jones from fumbling? Is LaFleur supposed to make Adams catch 2 TDs in the redzone? Is LaFleur supposed to make Rick Wagner and Billy Turner good? You can protect Billy Turner with Bak out there but they both needed help and its just not possible. Get some sense.
Lupe, I had high hopes after I watched the game plan against the Rams. All LaFleur needed to do is mix in some runs with Dillon instead of abandoning the run. Maybe give Turner some help.

It was plain as day to me what was happening. They were just teeing off on Rodgers. LaFleur did not counter.

The Packers won the turnover battle. But in close games it can come down to who is the better coach. In this case it did.
Love is the answer…

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Foosball wrote:
Horrible call

The major strategic problem was dropping the run game in the 4th Q. We had just had a great drive to finish the 3rd Q including runs that while not getting us much yardage slowed up their pass rush. We get the turnovers and went to bombs away which allowed the pass rush pressure us again and resulted in two sacks and two 3 and outs.

We had enough to win. We didn't.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, very frustrating that the only time the O played well was when they were in desperation mode, and then got away from what was working when the game was within reach again. :bkw: I felt like we got away from the run too much during the regular season, but Rodgers and Adams were just playing too well to argue with it.

'Gotta have a plan for when they *aren't* playing well, though.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Cdragon wrote:
25 Jan 2021 16:08
lupedafiasco wrote:
Foosball wrote:
Horrible call

The major strategic problem was dropping the run game in the 4th Q. We had just had a great drive to finish the 3rd Q including runs that while not getting us much yardage slowed up their pass rush. We get the turnovers and went to bombs away which allowed the pass rush pressure us again and resulted in two sacks and two 3 and outs.

Youre down 28-10 in the 2nd half and the run game wasnt very consistent up to that point and it wasnt looking like the defense was going to be competent either blowing coverages on 3 TDs and allowing a big run they couldnt tackle on. Theyre going to pass in that situation to get back in it. Which they did.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Foosball wrote:
Horrible call

Coaches are supposed to also put players in a position to succeed. It's not only about scheme but also personnel groupings and in-game adjustments. Our o-line got SMOKED. Why, all of a sudden, and what was done to compensate? We all SCREAM at Pettine for always playing soft, prevent-like defense and in a critical moment, he goes away from it. Why, when you KNOW that Brady is immobile and you can't get pressure bringing 4, mix it up some more. Savage came on that safety blitz and look what happened. I think Tampa Bay knew exactly what to expect out of a Pettine defense and he delivered to their expectations. Why did we get away from the run game?

Yes, we were outcoached yesterday, plain and simple. And outplayed.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Foosball wrote:
Horrible call

Seriously! How many times did the Packers get caught with too many men on the field the entire season? I watch lots of Packers football and I don't recall one. Then we have 2 in the championship game? WTH? :bkw:

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

williewasgreat wrote:
25 Jan 2021 10:42
Quite frankly, I don't care what the defensive call was. A CB NEVER lets a receiver get past them in this type of situation. NEVER!
THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

THIS IS FRIGGIN’ PEE WEE FOOTBALL BASICS!!

king is a MORON! See ya.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
GO PACK GO!!!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lulu wrote:
25 Jan 2021 21:25
lupedafiasco wrote:
Foosball wrote:
Horrible call

Coaches are supposed to also put players in a position to succeed. It's not only about scheme but also personnel groupings and in-game adjustments. Our o-line got SMOKED. Why, all of a sudden, and what was done to compensate? We all SCREAM at Pettine for always playing soft, prevent-like defense and in a critical moment, he goes away from it. Why, when you KNOW that Brady is immobile and you can't get pressure bringing 4, mix it up some more. Savage came on that safety blitz and look what happened. I think Tampa Bay knew exactly what to expect out of a Pettine defense and he delivered to their expectations. Why did we get away from the run game?

Yes, we were outcoached yesterday, plain and simple. And outplayed.
the subbing, or not being able to get the right people into the game possibly led to the poor play call, we have had to call TO several times this year because the coaches took to long to get the play called and players in, so maybe confusion caused the issue.

still King defended the route poooooorly, gave up the edge and failed to transition, he was beat at the snap of the ball, terrible effort, course this is so common of King, so inconsistent.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Jan 2021 20:49
Cdragon wrote:
25 Jan 2021 16:08
lupedafiasco wrote:

Youre down 28-10 in the 2nd half and the run game wasnt very consistent up to that point and it wasnt looking like the defense was going to be competent either blowing coverages on 3 TDs and allowing a big run they couldnt tackle on. Theyre going to pass in that situation to get back in it. Which they did.
They had just had a drive that got them back within 5 pts by mixing some runs with the pass. AR wasn't sacked. They got the ball gifted to them twice and it was 6 passes resulting in two 3 and outs. AR was sacked in both those drives. They didn't need to go full blown pass mode at that point. Keep the DL honest and make them take on Dillon.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Foosball wrote:
25 Jan 2021 15:58
lupedafiasco wrote:
Foosball wrote:
Horrible call

Lupe, I had high hopes after I watched the game plan against the Rams. All LaFleur needed to do is mix in some runs with Dillon instead of abandoning the run. Maybe give Turner some help.

It was plain as day to me what was happening. They were just teeing off on Rodgers. LaFleur did not counter.

The Packers won the turnover battle. But in close games it can come down to who is the better coach. In this case it did.
I tend to agree with you overall, I will give Matt a partial pass because we got behind and it’s hard to even think run