Aaron Freaking Rodgers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

The talk around Aaron is already reaching crazy levels based off his end of game presser. It's gone from he hates LaFleur again, to he's demanding a trade, he's retiring, and now to he wants a new contract. I really hope he does the Pat McAfee show today and talks about it some.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
26 Jan 2021 07:42
The talk around Aaron is already reaching crazy levels based off his end of game presser. It's gone from he hates LaFleur again, to he's demanding a trade, he's retiring, and now to he wants a new contract. I really hope he does the Pat McAfee show today and talks about it some.
yep, it's crazy talk, every word he speaks gets twisted into what the writer wants to happen, so they will have more to write about, If he does that presser I'am sure he'll put a end to this stuff.

he was very emotional after the game, people say weird and goofy stuff when there heart is broken, and whos heart wouldn't be broken under those circumstances.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Still no word if he'll be on Pat McAfee today. I think they still have the slot open for him, 1:05pm CST.

I would love for him to be on, grizzled, not showered or shaved, drunk and raving. Let him push this whole thing way over the top. Everyone freaks out for months, just for nothing to happen, and he laughs about it come training camp.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The only way Rodgers doesn't play for the Packers is if Rodgers retires.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I missed this yesterday. Somehow, I believe Mark Murphy over Michael F'in Wilbon.
RIP JustJeff

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

This Jordan Love stuff is ridiculous. Even if we had drafted a WR with the pick, we would still need to redo Rodgers contract to free up cap space. Hate pushing money out but the way he played this year gives you reason to think he has 2-3 high level years left minimum. Gutey said when Love was picked that they really liked him and his upside but that was no guarantee he would develop into a NFL caliber QB, Love still had to DO it. Just because Brady hasn't been injured in his late career, it doesn't mean A-Rod won't. Drafting a QB you like a lot makes sense if he was the highest rated player on your board.

A-Rod made the comment that his job was to make the Packers decision to move-on as difficult as possible. Mission accomplished. We push out Aaron's contract and if Love develops the way they think then that decision is made in 2-3 years instead of now.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I believe the contract chatter.

He played at an MVP level and is paid like Goff.

Restructure and extend.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
26 Jan 2021 13:15

Restructure and extend.
It was #1 when it was signed. That Goff got the same a year later doesn't mean a whole lot. Rodgers is still a top 5 paid QB.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 13:45
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

Restructure and extend.
It was #1 when it was signed. That Goff got the same a year later doesn't mean a whole lot. Rodgers is still a top 5 paid QB.
Oh, I agree. But out of self interest he should seek a new deal.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
26 Jan 2021 13:48
Pckfn23 wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

Restructure and extend.
He can have fun not playing football then because we own him for 3 years. He is stuck with the deal he signed.

Like I said earlier. Rodgers has two options:

1. Play for the Packers at his current deal.
2. Retire.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Aaron was on. Great conversation as usual. He didn't address everything individually, but pretty obvious he's not planning on anything major from his end. He said they talk every year about stuff like contract, this year will be no different. As he said, every player, every year, their future is mostly out of their hands. That's it.

So no retiring. No demanding a trade. No hold out due to his contract. If that does come up, it would come from way out in left field.

Going to miss those this offseason, maybe more than anything else.
RIP JustJeff

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2021 13:50
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
26 Jan 2021 13:48
Pckfn23 wrote:

He can have fun not playing football then because we own him for 3 years. He is stuck with the deal he signed.

Like I said earlier. Rodgers has two options:

1. Play for the Packers at his current deal.
2. Retire.
Nobody owns anyone.

3. Refuse to play. Be fined. Packers go 2-14...

If he wants a new deal it can happen while also lessening any cap problems for 21 and 22. It may even help us put more talent around him. The real cap problem can be kicked down the road.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

Restructure and extend.
AR's contract is in no sense "unfair". He signed the extension in 2018 with two years left on his previous deal to get a crapton of guaranteed money quicker (= security vs injury). Long term deals tend to start looking dated when you get to the latter years of them, and people forget about the risk the team took in giving those guarantees early (unless it blows up in face like with Wentz and Goff...).

Other factors make it likely that some kind of new deal will get made. His contract was worked over before 2020 season to free up cap space. Problem is, COVID-19 wasn't a thing yet and the team could not have guessed that 2021 cap would be rough. AR's 2021 cap number is so high the team is pretty much forced to do something. We'll see what.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Loved the end where he dropped some f bombs and put haters on blasts. Rodgers has cleaned up his reputation a lot this year. The mcafee segment has helped a lot. I don’t blame others for the loss. I think he was a part of the loss. So I don’t feel he got cheated.

But on a human level I do feel for the man. He obviously loved his teammates a lot. He seems to have grown too. He had a great year.

I am thankful for 12.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 14:10
Loved the end where he dropped some f bombs and put haters on blasts. Rodgers has cleaned up his reputation a lot this year. The mcafee segment has helped a lot. I don’t blame others for the loss. I think he was a part of the loss. So I don’t feel he got cheated.

But on a human level I do feel for the man. He obviously loved his teammates a lot. He seems to have grown too. He had a great year.

I am thankful for 12.
And the alternative in the SB is Brady.

wtf. Seriously. wft.

Nice going refs.
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

The Packers will be just fine next year regardless of what happens with AR

If he retires, they have money to spend and 2 probable NFL QB's on the roster. Maybe not top 5 QB's but competent and money to resign Jones is not trivial. Money to add a top FA to the D will not hurt either

If he returns they have a solid team with a top 5 QB.

If he is traded then they either get some good veterans in return or most of another team's draft.

Ultimately the major reason the Packers are not in the SB is because Bak got hurt.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

I'm convinced he's gonna need that Charles Woodson-type charismatic leader to complement his style in the locker room to win another Super Bowl, regardless of where he goes. His on-field leadership and persona has been discussed ad-nauseum so I won't get too much into it. But he's not a leader who inspires guys in the heat of battle. He's introspective and an individual. There's a reason why Brady's teammates play like their life depends on it wherever he goes.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
26 Jan 2021 15:04
I'm convinced he's gonna need that Charles Woodson-type charismatic leader to complement his style in the locker room to win another Super Bowl, regardless of where he goes. His on-field leadership and persona has been discussed ad-nauseum so I won't get too much into it. But he's not a leader who inspires guys in the heat of battle. He's introspective and an individual. There's a reason why Brady's teammates play like their life depends on it wherever he goes.
This is true. He is great. It’s not saying he isn’t, but he is introspective and not the same type of leader that rallies the boys to go win that game. Time and time again we have seen it. That is honest, not a slight. I love the individual.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
26 Jan 2021 14:48
The Packers will be just fine next year regardless of what happens with AR

If he retires, they have money to spend and 2 probable NFL QB's on the roster. Maybe not top 5 QB's but competent and money to resign Jones is not trivial. Money to add a top FA to the D will not hurt either

If he returns they have a solid team with a top 5 QB.

If he is traded then they either get some good veterans in return or most of another team's draft.

Ultimately the major reason the Packers are not in the SB is because Bak got hurt.
So if Rodgers retires or is traded, we would only free up $6 million in cap space because of dead cap. So if Rodgers leaves, the Packers are likely screwed in 2021 and would likely be looking at anywhere from a 4-12 to 10-6 team at best (and I would very highly doubt the 10 win side)

But yes. The team would go on. We would rebuild and we would start going for the future.

Buuuuut. That isn't going to happen. Rodgers wants to be a Packer. He said so as much today.
Yoop wrote: