2021 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

49ers at #3 Take...

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2021 00:11

Mac Jones
50%
Trey Lance
38%
Justin Fields
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
28 Jan 2021 08:49
texas wrote:
27 Jan 2021 23:58
Yeah I have no idea who to get at ILB, I just know we need one.
I would say right now is the best the Packers have been in years at ILB. Martinez obviously was a great talent but the Packers never gave him anything to work with next to him which was always my biggest gripe with TT for years.

Barnes I think is overhyped here. We have seen such bad play at the position for so long when something average came along it looked incredible. Same thing happens when Clay moved inside. Still Barnes was just a rookie and making the calls with the helmet. You’ve gotta think another year will help him regardless of the coordinator. Martin is in the same boat. He has all the tools but needs time to develop. Me missed a ton of time when it seemed he was in line to start.

Kirksey is good as gone though. I’m not a fan of this LB class. I cooled off on Dylan Moses. I expected better play from him considering Bamas front. I wasn’t impressed. I’m not at all a fan of Zaven Collins. I thought he was a do it all and not good at anything LB. not athletic enough for my liking. Not a fan of Bolton so far for where he’s being projected. Again not athletic enough. JOK from ND has all the athleticism in the world but is too small. He would be a great for for a weak side in a 4-3. Micah Parsons will be long gone and he’s the only one I feel is a true 1st round player.
Barnes can be steady eddie if Martin hits. I really liked what I saw from Martin. If he can clean it up a bit, I love the attack mentality and the physicality he brings. Barnes was also a UDFA, so he can get a lot better. He is not there yet, but I agree with your initial point, there is finally reason for a little bit of optimism with these two. I wouldn't stop there, though. Keep bringing in guys and let them fight it out.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
28 Jan 2021 08:52
lupedafiasco wrote:
texas wrote:
I would say right now is the best the Packers have been in years at ILB. Martinez obviously was a great talent but the Packers never gave him anything to work with next to him which was always my biggest gripe with TT for years.

Barnes I think is overhyped here. We have seen such bad play at the position for so long when something average came along it looked incredible. Same thing happens when Clay moved inside. Still Barnes was just a rookie and making the calls with the helmet. You’ve gotta think another year will help him regardless of the coordinator. Martin is in the same boat. He has all the tools but needs time to develop. Me missed a ton of time when it seemed he was in line to start.

Kirksey is good as gone though. I’m not a fan of this LB class. I cooled off on Dylan Moses. I expected better play from him considering Bamas front. I wasn’t impressed. I’m not at all a fan of Zaven Collins. I thought he was a do it all and not good at anything LB. not athletic enough for my liking. Not a fan of Bolton so far for where he’s being projected. Again not athletic enough. JOK from ND has all the athleticism in the world but is too small. He would be a great for for a weak side in a 4-3. Micah Parsons will be long gone and he’s the only one I feel is a true 1st round player.
Barnes can be steady eddie if Martin hits. I really liked what I saw from Martin. If he can clean it up a bit, I love the attack mentality and the physicality he brings. Barnes was also a UDFA, so he can get a lot better. He is not there yet, but I agree with your initial point, there is finally reason for a little bit of optimism with these two. I wouldn't stop there, though. Keep bringing in guys and let them fight it out.
There is reason for optimism. But certainly not reason to say this position group is ready.

Martin is aggressive which is fun. But the dude sucked this year. I mean there is really no other way to say it. He missed on just about everything. Definitely missed more than he hit. He really needs to read the field better.

I think we all gives ourselves hope that this will improve with experience but on the other hand we have not had a linebacker that has actually improved with experience since Desmond Bishop.

Zaven Collins and the ND kid at this point is the guy I like most. I think the ND kid is gone and I am not in love with the value of Collins at 29.

So far Asante Samuel Jr is leading my top pick hope at the moment; though I am pretty certain our "best value" will likely a be an OT that falls. My goodness there are a lot of OT's this year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
texas wrote:

ya, I've been listening to your critique of this lber class, and from the little I've read from draft prognosticators and agree after Parsons the class is pretty weak.

I agree Barnes looked good enough as a rookie to inspire some hope that he'll be better next year, same with Martine, Kirksey just can't seem to stay healthy long enough to string out successes, PFF gave him our highest graded defensive player award for Sunday, so he can deliver IF, IF, he could just stay on the field.

ya we need to replace King before we need to reach for a ILB.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

This Quinn Meinerz from UW whitewater is beating dudes up at the Sr. Bowl practice. He looks like he has the makings to be a sleeper who can become a really solid guard. They couldn't stop talking about him on every snap!!!

I'm comvinced Toney will be gone before 20 so my next draft crush I hope we can snag in the middle rounds. Marquez Speedy Stevenson is the man. He showing out also and said hes had contact with all 32 teams.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Seriously. WFT on Kirksey?

Did anyone else notice how fast and high flying Kirksey was on Sunday? Where was that all year?

Honestly he played pretty well really ever since they had Barnes replace him. But last Sunday my goodness.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
28 Jan 2021 11:17

Did anyone else notice how fast and high flying Kirksey was on Sunday? Where was that all year?

Honestly he played pretty well really ever since they had Barnes replace him. But last Sunday my goodness.
Posted that in the GameDay thread. Highest graded Packer on Sunday per PFF. Now, I very much disagree that he should be highest, but he did have a good game.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 11:28
go pak go wrote:
28 Jan 2021 11:17

Posted that in the GameDay thread. Highest graded Packer on Sunday per PFF. Now, I very much disagree that he should be highest, but he did have a good game.
ya, Alexander needed at least one more interception to get there attention :lol:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Punters must be brought into camp of course, always looking for an upgrade.
But my wish is for a strong legged punter who can also kick off DEEP.
That rules out the old man kickers who are accurate.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lupedafiasco wrote:
texas wrote:

I'm personally a fan of Barnes because I grabbed him in my IDP league and he seemed to work out, and he seems to make nice tackles, but I don't think he's actually all that good. He could be though but idk I want to say it's usually more obvious for rookie ILBs when they're special.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
28 Jan 2021 17:51
Expected round?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

wallyuwl wrote:
29 Jan 2021 00:15
paco wrote:
Expected round?
Going into the Senior Bowl, he was a mid-late Day 3 pick. Coming out, he could be Day 2. Ben Bartch went round 4. I would probably expect similar for him.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I am really starting to fall in love with both FL State's secondary prospect.

Asante Samual just has the swag and reminds me of Jaire. I want them two together. Check out Samuel taking out AJ Dillon here.

I also really like Hamsah Nasirildeen, Safety, Senior (6’4″, 212 pounds). Dude is more in line with the Raven Greene role where he would be the TE and RB cover guy as well as getting his nose in there to stop the run. He is not a Single high cover safety which honestly we would be lacking as Savage showed this year that it is not his best trait.

I could see both going Rd 1 but I could also see Hamsah falling because he was out basically all 2020. Again I just think there is loads of talent from that 25 to 40 range and I want to double dip.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Packers and A Samuel jr met virtually. Not my first round choice but not a bad one either

Anyone see Meinerz vid. Haha. I love this dude

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I would Samuel round 1.

CB our biggest need on paper heading into the offseason.

Pair him with a cheapo-bargain vet. I’d like those odds.

CB2 gunna see a lot of targets the next 5-6 with Jaire here. I’m all for making a credible investment there.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
17 Feb 2021 16:51
I would Samuel round 1.

CB our biggest need on paper heading into the offseason.

Pair him with a cheapo-bargain vet. I’d like those odds.

CB2 gunna see a lot of targets the next 5-6 with Jaire here. I’m all for making a credible investment there.
It is strange with CB not being like any other position. Most other positions a dominant All-Pro players rises all boats on its position group as taking attention away and therefore you can get by with lesser talent.

But CB it does seem to have an opposite effect.
Yoop wrote:

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Like pass rushers you can never have enough solid cbs.

Rodarius williams is a guy I love later in the draft. Nothing against Samuel I think hes a fine prospect just a reach to me at 29 if guys like Toney or my fav pass rusher phillips falls.

Speaking of Phillips the more I watch the more he looks to be a special talent. I think he could go top 15 easy.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

If the scheme is really going to be zone I don’t think you need to invest super early in CB. You can get zone CBs anywhere you want really. Had they stayed Pettines scheme which was more versatile based on history I would say CB was a huge need.

I want nothing to do with Toney. I’m sure he is a fine player. I’m not a fan of guys like him in early rounds. Too many times it’s backfired. Great college player with his skill set though. Terrance Marshall looks really good to me. He’s very promising. Still to me if you’re taking a WR in the first round your team is looking for a #1. We had the best scoring offense in the league. This team has needs at all 3 levels of the defense.

Definitely don’t want a pass rusher round 1. That’s just wasting resources. Would be great to have but it’s a luxury.

I think the best moves are getting an OT in a deep class. Barmore in a weak DT class although I do like Nixon a lot but for a 43. LB but I’m really only interested in Parson and Collins. Not a fan of Bolton as I’m not sure he fits the SPARQ score of the Packers. I don’t like the Notre Dame dude either. Just too small to hold up against the run. I think he’s a luxury player also. Great talent. That dude can hit for his size. Parson will be long gone.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

I disagree 100000% on JOK. That dude changes the d at backer and cover safety. Hes Landon collins but better in coverage. That kid is a football player though and though. I would trade up in a second for him.

You can never have enough rushers and if preston is gone thats not a luxury its a need. With Z and Gary being able to rush inside (phillips can also) they would be on the field a ton. Joe Tryon is another id like day 2. Explosive edge guys just won a sb for brady. Sign me up

Yea this DT draft sucks. I dont want to over value a prospect bc the overall group is weak. I like nixon and barmore though