Packers promote Drayton to ST Coordinator

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Packers promote Drayton to ST Coordinator

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Good luck coach!
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Let's hope he has the magic touch. This unit has been broken for a long time.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Let's see what ya got, coach! At least the fans' expectations aren't sky high...

LOL, Drayton somehow ended up playing in Finland in 2006 but tore his Achilles, so they made him the D-coordinator instead. He then coached his D to allow under 7 points per game.

Was hinted about STs assistant gig in GB in 2018 due to being friends with Joe Whitt.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 13:11
Let's see what ya got, coach! At least the fans' expectations aren't sky high...

LOL, Drayton somehow ended up playing in Finland in 2006 but tore his Achilles, so they made him the D-coordinator instead. He then coached his D to allow under 7 points per game.

Was hinted about STs assistant gig in GB in 2018 due to being friends with Joe Whitt.
Was he your neighbor?!!!!!
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
28 Jan 2021 13:22
salmar80 wrote:

If 190 miles away counts as being a neighbor...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 13:28
go pak go wrote:
28 Jan 2021 13:22
salmar80 wrote:

If 190 miles away counts as being a neighbor...
Yeah. sorry. Stupid joke of how people always for some reason think association is somehow a lot easier when two people are in a same geographic area but it's super far away. (like from my position in Ohio to yours in Finland)

Like if I tell someone I grew up in South Dakota and the immediate response is "oh do you know X?"

....like South Dakota land-wise is larger than a lot of European countries. Or how we lump all countries as one in the same in Africa (an American thing to do for sure) even though Africa is significantly larger than North America.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Hopefully this is a coach who was held back by his boss than part of the problem. The bar is so low that clearing it should be easy, but... here we are.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
28 Jan 2021 14:24
Hopefully this is a coach who was held back by his bosses than part of the problem. The bar is so low that clearing it should be easy, but... here we are.
He assisted Zook, too.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
28 Jan 2021 14:48
Labrev wrote:
28 Jan 2021 14:24
Hopefully this is a coach who was held back by his bosses than part of the problem. The bar is so low that clearing it should be easy, but... here we are.
He assisted Zook, too.
Super.

Let’s just say I’m less than enthusiastic about this promotion.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

He was a college DB who has truly worked his way into the NFL. No nepotism.

College coaching, arena league, CFL if I remember right. Assistant NFL jobs with different organizations.

That he stuck around in GB through coaching turnover means the locker room respects him.

I hope he does well.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Don't get me wrong. I also hope he is successful. I'm just not very confident he will be.

The Packers ST lineage over the past decade has been terrible yet here they are, picking from the same tree that has provided nothing but sour apples. Expecting success from coaches who advance through a broken system doesn't sound all that promising to me. Time for some new blood and new ideas.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
29 Jan 2021 06:16
Don't get me wrong. I also hope he is successful. I'm just not very confident he will be.

The Packers ST lineage over the past decade has been terrible yet here they are, picking from the same tree that has provided nothing but sour apples. Expecting success from coaches who advance through a broken system doesn't sound all that promising to me. Time for some new blood and new ideas.
We tried that with Menengna. The outside approach didn't work either.

At least the advantage here is LeFluer knows Drayton on a deeper level compared to relying on a 3 hour interview.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jan 2021 13:23
APB wrote:

We tried that with Mennenga. The outside approach didn't work either.

At least the advantage here is LeFluer knows Drayton on a deeper level compared to relying on a 3 hour interview.
Menengna was a poor hire from the get-go. Take a look a his coaching history and explain what part of it was convincing enough for him to be hired. I have no idea what prompted MLF to bring him on but it certainly wasn’t his success at those string of sub-division colleges or his 7 yr run as assistant ST coach for a not-extraordinarily-special Cleveland squad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Mennenga

To your argument, I’d much rather scour the current successful NFL coaching staffs and poach an assistant from there than promote the assistant of the guy you just fired and should have never hired in the first place.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
29 Jan 2021 13:58
go pak go wrote:
APB wrote:

Menengna was a poor hire from the get-go. Take a look a his coaching history and explain what part of it was convincing enough for him to be hired. I have no idea what prompted MLF to bring him on but it certainly wasn’t his success at those string of sub-division colleges or his 7 yr run as assistant ST coach for a not-extraordinarily-special Cleveland squad.

To your argument, I’d much rather scour the current successful NFL coaching staffs and poach an assistant from there than promote the assistant of the guy you just fired and should have never hired in the first place.
Unfortunately we didn't hire the guy MLF actually wanted because the Packers weren't willing to pay Darren Rizi his asking price.

Instead Rizzi goes to NO's and has a kick a$$ special teams unit.

I mean when there is no cap...moves like this to be cheap honestly make me hate the Packers because it is not a winning move. They can't tell me winning is everything if they aren't willing to pay for it.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
29 Jan 2021 13:58
go pak go wrote:
APB wrote:

''ahhh,

other then failing to convince his punter to punt to the coverage, and Austin fumbling, what exactly where the reason Menenga was fired again? :lol:

prior to Ervins departure who was our PR and Gunner, teams didn't seem to bad, I'am sure I'am leaving out a few gaffs, but teams success is also a reflection of your 2nd and 3rd string athletes, we lost Green, Summers, and a few other ST's players, besides Ervin.

I think it was time for a change, and obviously some coaches are better then others, but it's not as though ya need a coach with 20 year pedigree, this aint flat tracking at Lemans, it's Nascar, go fast and turn left for 4 hrs (from movie Ford and Ferrari ) :lol: love that movie.
I think losing those players hurt, but we had blocked kicks, some pretty poor blocking and tackling to boot, maybe we should have paid the extra cash for the guy who turned us down, but there plenty of teams with NO name teams cords who do well, so who knows.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2021 15:18
prior to Ervins departure who was our PR and Gunner, teams didn't seem to bad, I'am sure I'am leaving out a few gaffs, but teams success is also a reflection of your 2nd and 3rd string athletes, we lost Green, Summers, and a few other ST's players, besides Ervin.

I think it was time for a change, and obviously some coaches are better then others, but it's not as though ya need a coach with 20 year pedigree, this aint flat tracking at Lemans, it's Nascar, go fast and turn left for 4 hrs (from movie Ford and Ferrari ) :lol: love that movie.
I think losing those players hurt, but we had blocked kicks, some pretty poor blocking and tackling to boot, maybe we should have paid the extra cash for the guy who turned us down, but there plenty of teams with NO name teams cords who do well, so who knows.
Soooo.....

You spent half your post dismissing mine....and the other half justifying it.

Thanks...I think? :dunno:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Some reason for optimism, perhaps -- MLF had this to say about Drayton in a piece by McGinn at the Athletic (which I found completely by myself and deserve all credit, don't even begin to think that I got this from elsewhere) back when Mennenga was hired, perhaps explaining why they made this decision so quickly...
Maurice Drayton, the assistant to Zook in 2018 after holding the same job in Indianapolis from 2016-17, interviewed for the coordinator job in Green Bay and assistant jobs with about five other teams. Eventually, he went back to the Packers as the assistant to Mennenga.

“I feel like he’s a special teams coordinator in the making,” said LaFleur. “I don’t think it’s going to be too long before he gets to run that room.”
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

JS article has him talking about simplifying special teams for players. That is probably what we need as we are always so dam bad.

I will say I can't think of many special teams demons on our roster...maybe get him a guy or two to work with.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
30 Jan 2021 21:07
JS article has him talking about simplifying special teams for players. That is probably what we need as we are always so dam bad.
I am so-so with X's and O's, but can anyone explain to me why ST would ever need to be complicated? It seems the the good ones are always simple and it's up to the players to be disciplined and do their job.

Read More. Post Less.