Pettine out - New DC is Joe Barry

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

In house jerry Gray

James Bettcher is interesting. Todd bowles system. On locked on packers today it was said arians pushed for him to be head coach. Id love an attack style d. Get him a collins and let the d fly

Jimmy Leonard. Why not give him a crack at it. Lets be honest the UW defenses arent loaded but they are assignment sure

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I think Pettine did OK with the talent he had, but I'm glad LaFleur isn't fine with just OK. After all, Pettine did have good pass rushers, a great DT, a great CB and a fine pair of safeties. Not 11/11 great starters, but enough to be better than average.

I credit Pettine for creating an exciting pass rush scheme last year with the Smith bros. That was innovative and fun to watch. This year other teams seemed to have picked up on it, and the advantage was gone. Pettine's bag of tricks seemed to bottom out.

But most crucially, I think LaFleur had a disconnect with Pettine this year in several games. When the HC isn't defending the DC's calls in press conferences, that ain't a good sign. The feeling I have is LaFleur wants to be a HC, not just an offensive HC. Thus bringing in a DC that is a custom fit for his vision is what he desires at this point. I guess a coach with higher winning percentage than Lombardi or Madden kinda deserves to pick his guy.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

You never want to see a guy lose his job but we all saw how many times MLF was frustrated with the defense plus it was telling when his veterans had to go to his office and try to make him change his ways. I do recall when he was hired a lot of us were excited about his hire but it just didn't work out. :|

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Pugger wrote:
29 Jan 2021 17:51
plus it was telling when his veterans had to go to his office and try to make him change his ways.
I missed this story. What are the details?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
29 Jan 2021 17:30
In house jerry Gray

James Bettcher is interesting. Todd bowles system. On locked on packers today it was said arians pushed for him to be head coach. Id love an attack style d. Get him a collins and let the d fly

Jimmy Leonard. Why not give him a crack at it. Lets be honest the UW defenses arent loaded but they are assignment sure
I doubt Bettcher is an option. Already signed with 49ers. Lesser position, but I don't see him going back on that.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

texas wrote:
29 Jan 2021 18:00
Pugger wrote:
plus it was telling when his veterans had to go to his office and try to make him change his ways.
It was somewhere near mid-season. Clark, the Smiths, and others went independently to Pwttine asking to simplify things and let them pass rush. Then we got better.
RIP JustJeff

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

texas wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Dec 7th, Madison.com....among other sources.

Sorry I can't embed or link. A search with those terms + Smith Pettine should bring it up

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Im pretty meh on this. Pettine was not elite, but we can do a lot worse. So the hire will be important.

He improved this season and he complimented the offense well by making the opponents string together long drives. He was really good at making teams kick FGs last year.

He was not good most of his time at stopping the run. I would say who could blame him with the worst ILB crew in the league for most of his time here, and then Lowry and Lancaster as his DEs.

But that sounds like his fault to me, bc it sounds like Gutey asked him what he needed to make the d work and he chose OLBs and safeties over ILBs and interior DL. He told us that at his presser last year preseason when he was still well loved.

So bc of that, I can’t feel bad he didn’t have the pieces for a top end d.

Hopefully we hire the right guy.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
29 Jan 2021 16:55
Cover 1.

He deserves to be gone. Bad choices have consequences.

Amos should have called timeout and asked Pettine WTF he was thinking.
Mind you, cover 1 with Will Redmond as your deep safety. What could go wrong??

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

paco wrote:
29 Jan 2021 18:15
Backthepack4ever wrote:
29 Jan 2021 17:30
In house jerry Gray

I doubt Bettcher is an option. Already signed with 49ers. Lesser position, but I don't see him going back on that.
Idk money talks and the right situation can make change.

The green Bay D has nice pieces to work with. Clark Z and jaire could be called blues. The safeties and gary are rising stars. Thats 6 of 11 that are really good.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Can we conclude LaFleur is demanding excellence?

That he's not happy with an outstanding 2-year record without SB wins says this is one hungry, hungry, ravenous head coach. Not keeping two top coordinators out of three with this kind of win-loss record may be unprecedented.

Also, this is the first time I remember a coordinator gone without most of the fans asking them to get fired. Wow.

LaFleur is rolling the dice, but hard not to trust him at this point.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

So MLF is not MM.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

salmar80 wrote:
29 Jan 2021 19:00
Can we conclude LaFleur is demanding excellence?

That he's not happy with an outstanding 2-year record without SB wins says this is one hungry, hungry, ravenous head coach. Not keeping two top coordinators out of three with this kind of win-loss record may be unprecedented.

Also, this is the first time I remember a coordinator gone without most of the fans asking them to get fired. Wow.

LaFleur is rolling the dice, but hard not to trust him at this point.
I dont think he rolling the dice at all. He wants his own guy. Pettine is not his guy. Pettine was forced on him.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Jan 2021 19:04
Pettine was forced on him.
It will never be framed that way, but yeah, I think this is probably true.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The challenge is most of the guys are already taken.

My guess is it's either Gray or someone we have completely not heard of.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I just hope we go younger no offense to Jerry Gray. Not sure if Smith has the right experience but the guys seem to love him the way Saleh was loved.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

TheGreenMan wrote:
29 Jan 2021 17:16
When was the last time we let a D coordinator go, when the defense wasn't absolute and utter dog &%$@? Donatell?
No, I would say it was Jim Bates in 2005. They were 7th in yards and 19th in points. After the season, Sherman got fired and Bates was pushing to be head coach.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

texas wrote:
Pugger wrote:
That story was overblown. Subsequent reporting made it clear that it arose out of Pettine's regular player meetings. The players didn't get together and go to him.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
29 Jan 2021 19:14
lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Jan 2021 19:04
Pettine was forced on him.
It will never be framed that way, but yeah, I think this is probably true.
I think LaFleur also benefited greatly from having some continuity in house when becoming a first time head coach. He had a lot on his plate. An established D coordinator took care of that side of the ball, and let LaFleur concentrate on his core duties.

Now LaFleur has the machine running, and has the experience to have a bigger voice on D if needed.