Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

It’s not an overpay when you consider a few things that don’t seem true for other teams.

1) McVay obviously doesn’t care about first round picks. He obviously thinks they can find good players later in the draft. So far he hasn’t shown that he’s wrong.

2) The rams make moves while others talk. They get their guy and worry about the rest later. If they think they are a Matt stafford away, you pay whatever.

I guess if you think about it terms of our last two drafts...Rams would have given up Gary, Love, and I guess Aj Dillon to get the qb they want. Great deal.

Most teams couldn’t swallow giving up their beloved first round picks, Rams obviously see them as worth about as much as a square of toilet paper (pre corona), so I guess they just see it as trading Goff for Stafford. No brainer I guess

Also besides those points, geez..it’s hilarious how fast Mcvay must have decided he absolutely hated Goff. I mean they just paid the guy a couple years ago. Now they are paying premiums to get rid of the guy. Wow.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
30 Jan 2021 22:16
lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Jan 2021 22:14
Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Jan 2021 22:07
Wait! Your prestigious GM skills didn't pan out and you are now shocked? I am shocked!
This is clearly a bad trade for the Rams. Do you disagree? Thats a massive overpay.
If you think Stafford is the missing piece, no. If they win a Super Bowl or 2, no. If it doesn't work, they start over in 2024.
Matt Stafford in LA with Mcvay is gonna look a lot better than Stafford with Matt Patricia I bet. Stafford isn’t a top 5 qb, but he’s probably top 12..he will make that offense look great.

Goff was probably what the 20th-25th best qb in league? And Mcvay still won with the guy.

Lions..0-16 incoming
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
30 Jan 2021 21:19
TheGreenMan wrote:
30 Jan 2021 21:16
Rams trade Goff, two firsts, and a third for Stafford.

Lions won that big time.
Part of the extra draft compensation was taking Goff's contract, can't imagine anyone would want him.

Also, the Rams will have traded their 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 1st round draft picks for 2 players. :shock:
How could that be called anything but a “WIN NOW” type of trade. They mortgage the future for the next couple of years.

We’ll see if they are right about Stafford being the one piece missing. But they sure are going to have issues in 2-3 years.

I’d think that Stafford is thrilled by this too.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

I'm not sure how much Stafford has left. He has really been beaten up over the years. I would imagine the Lions had a lot of cap room to take on Goff's contract. While the Rams have been good at times over the last few years, I'm not sure McVay has a long term plan. He really seems to go with the flow.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

I think this works for both teams. The Rams immediate window went from a porthole to a bay window. And the Lions can die with Goff for a year or two and then let him walk after they get their shiney new first overall pick QB.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Someone in the Rams front office must absolutely hate mock drafts. :rotf: Their last 1st rounder was in 2016 (Goff), and their next one is scheduled for 2024. Imagine SEVEN straight years without a 1st rounder....

In terms of trade value, the Lions do get tools to build their future with, but conventional trade value thinking would say future picks are one round per year lower in value. So in a way, it's an equivalent of a 2nd rounder and two 3rd rounders in this year's draft.

The trade makes sense for both teams, the Rams will be going all-in for next couple of years, while Detroit is going for a long-term rebuild.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

salmar80 wrote:
31 Jan 2021 06:25
Someone in the Rams front office must absolutely hate mock drafts. :rotf: Their last 1st rounder was in 2016 (Goff), and their next one is scheduled for 2024. Imagine SEVEN straight years without a 1st rounder....

In terms of trade value, the Lions do get tools to build their future with, but conventional trade value thinking would say future picks are one round per year lower in value. So in a way, it's an equivalent of a 2nd rounder and two 3rd rounders in this year's draft.

The trade makes sense for both teams, the Rams will be going all-in for next couple of years, while Detroit is going for a long-term rebuild.
When you are in a total rebuild I wouldn't say the picks equate to a lower value since you an not planning to win in the near future. They do seem to add up to around 1,300 - 1400 pts on the draft value chart if the Rams are successful. If they have some catastophic injury the picks can only increase in value.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

IG: JosinaAnderson
@JosinaAnderson
League source gives opinion on #Lions decision to take the #Rams deal for Matthew Stafford: "The Rams were screwed with a bad contract on (Jared) Goff and the #Lions helped them and don't even get a good pick this year. The Washington offer was better."
10:19 PM · Jan 30, 2021

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Cdragon wrote:
31 Jan 2021 06:33
salmar80 wrote:
31 Jan 2021 06:25

When you are in a total rebuild I wouldn't say the picks equate to a lower value since you an not planning to win in the near future. They do seem to add up to around 1,300 - 1400 pts on the draft value chart if the Rams are successful. If they have some catastophic injury the picks can only increase in value.
Sort of. It's lower value than if they had gotten two 1st rounders this year (getting the players earlier -> production on field earlier), but since the Lions are obviously in a multi-year rebuild -mode, it doesn't matter that much for them.

Looking at the forums of the teams, LA fan consensus is that they got fleeced. Essentially if they don't win a SB or two right about now, the GM will be toast. Lions fans are so used to losing, they're looking forward to a rebuild.

The tweet below is amazing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

with only one true franchise QB available (Houston is trying to get Watkins to change his mind) and at least a half doz teams wanting a franchise QB the Rams waste no time allowing themselves to get left in the dust, the bidding for Watkins just went to 3 first round picks :rotf:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Was just thinking something similar. Whoever is in the bidding for Watson is not happy this morning.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
30 Jan 2021 11:40
Lions will get a 1st and more.

He's s franchise QB with 7-10 years left in the league and there are a number of "win now" teams who need a QB.

It may not occur until Watson is off the market, as he is the bigger prize.

I would not be surprised to see the Lions get multiple 1s + a young QB on a bad contract. They will turn around and cut the QB, with the draft picks being compensation for the cap hit.
If they cut Goff, my balls are crystal.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
31 Jan 2021 08:17
Was just thinking something similar. Whoever is in the bidding for Watson is not happy this morning.
I’m mean, are you a better team over the next 5 years with Stafford and missing just two firsts, or better with Watson missing three firsts and maybe more.

I realize Watson could still be playing in 15 years, but that is more than likely just to help the next GM.

Stafford may have been the most desirable QB on the market for current working GM’s. I would choose him over Watson given compensation, without an owner meddling.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I wonder if Watson has damaged himself a little with the "I get to choose my coach" attitude. The NFL is not the NBA.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I was thinking about Watson and Rodgers too.

Like we are looking at 3 1st's and 2 2nd's type compensation?

The one thing I don't get about these blockbuster trades is you as the recipient only have like a 2 or 3 year window to be any good because you have to pay an expensive quarterback and don't get draft picks to re-stock.

The only thing that was really stupid for the Lions was to take Goff. I don't get the point of taking an expensive quarterback (even if the Rams likely gave him a lot of bonuses) when he probably isn't a huge upgrade over someone like a Tim Boyle.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
31 Jan 2021 08:37

The one thing I don't get about these blockbuster trades is you as the recipient only have like a 2 or 3 year window to be any good because you have to pay an expensive quarterback and don't get draft picks to re-stock.

The only thing that was really stupid for the Lions was to take Goff. I don't get the point of taking an expensive quarterback (even if the Rams likely gave him a lot of bonuses) when he probably isn't a huge upgrade over someone like a Tim Boyle.
wow you really have a low opinion of Goff, so what if Goff cost about the same as Stafford, the Lions got to first, a third, and a QB they can use as they groom up the one they will take with there 7th in this class, they even have ammo to trade up for the best one, maybe, Detroit made out well, and the Rams have who they feel can give them a excellent shot in the nest 3 to 5 years.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

go pak go wrote:

Taking Goff's contract is why they got 2 firsts rather than 1. The Rams paid Detroit to take not Goff but rather his contract.

Lions could very well cut Goff. They have an enormous amount of cap space. They also have draft picks.

The nightmare for us right now is Detroit packing picks, Goff, and cash for Watson.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
31 Jan 2021 02:27
BF004 wrote:
30 Jan 2021 21:19
TheGreenMan wrote:
30 Jan 2021 21:16
Rams trade Goff, two firsts, and a third for Stafford.

Lions won that big time.
Part of the extra draft compensation was taking Goff's contract, can't imagine anyone would want him.

Also, the Rams will have traded their 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 1st round draft picks for 2 players. :shock:
How could that be called anything but a “WIN NOW” type of trade. They mortgage the future for the next couple of years.

We’ll see if they are right about Stafford being the one piece missing. But they sure are going to have issues in 2-3 years.

I’d think that Stafford is thrilled by this too.
when you consider how often GM's miss on first round picks, and that the Rams will likely be picking at or near the end of the round then giving up those two first is not like giving up two top 10 first round picks, spending big in FA and missing is far more costlier because it blows up your cap.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
31 Jan 2021 08:47
go pak go wrote:

Taking Goff's contract is why they got 2 firsts rather than 1. The Rams paid Detroit to take not Goff but rather his contract.

Lions could very well cut Goff. They have an enormous amount of cap space. They also have draft picks.

The nightmare for us right now is Detroit packing picks, Goff, and cash for Watson.
This makes sense. I didn't know the structure of the trade and impact of the cap. Like what difference does it make in these situations if the Rams either trade Goff or cut Goff? It must have something to do with that deferment of signing bonus transferring to the Lions?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Lions have no guaranteed money tied to Goff.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."