Pettine out - New DC is Joe Barry

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Any idea if LaFleur has any preference between 3-4 and 4-3? I imagine we would stick with the 3-4 being how close we are to a Superbowl? Don't know if it even matters with all the sub packages used in the NFL now.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

2019: The Pettine defense gave up too much running. Admittedly, the depth wasn’t what Pettine wanted. He should get credit for calling that out. But you have to start building someplace.

2020: The Pettine defense gave up too many explosive plays over the top. This probably speaks to a beefed up run defense. But it also spoke to lack of depth and a degree of inexperience in the D backfield. Perhaps it also speaks to the need for more leadership and discipline ON the field.

It’s been great seeing players like Amos, Savage, Alexander, Gary, and others grow and develop. But I do think we need to remember that growing pains have been a very real part of players in their first and second years of NFL play. That TD by Brady before halftime revealed as much.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
31 Jan 2021 02:23
2019: The Pettine defense gave up too much running. Admittedly, the depth wasn’t what Pettine wanted. He should get credit for calling that out. But you have to start building someplace.

2020: The Pettine defense gave up too many explosive plays over the top. This probably speaks to a beefed up run defense. But it also spoke to lack of depth and a degree of inexperience in the D backfield. Perhaps it also speaks to the need for more leadership and discipline ON the field.

It’s been great seeing players like Amos, Savage, Alexander, Gary, and others grow and develop. But I do think we need to remember that growing pains have been a very real part of players in their first and second years of NFL play. That TD by Brady before halftime revealed as much.
I felt like it was 2019 where the defense was beaten over the top a lot. Alexander was getting beat some, specifically Dallas and King was beaten over the top all the time. The run defense also was terrible.

In 2020 as the season progressed the run defense got better but they would allow these long bleeding scoring drives due to soft coverage. Everyone wanted King to stop playing so soft well that’s what happens when you let someone who has been pan fired repeatedly over his career play however he wants. He gets cooked.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Let me state one thing for the protocol: we have too little knowledge about football and almost no insight behind the curtain to be able to judge Pettine. Pettine could have done a hell of a job with what he had. It just feels suboptimal from a fan's outside perspective (and if we somehow win vs. Bucs we might hail Pettine). We all have jobs and so we probably all know those know-it-better-greenhorns that judge us without any basis for judgement. The same goes for Capers by the way.

Just a reminder.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Sounds like Phillips definitely wants the Packers job from what I am hearing.

Here is what Wade re-tweeted:

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Wade Phillips also retweeted this:

Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

At this point, if Matt thinks it's the right move, I'm down with it.

Normally, I would want a young up-and-comer, but with the "window" being what it is, an experienced hand who will not implement something too different makes sense.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
31 Jan 2021 11:20
At this point, if Matt thinks it's the right move, I'm down with it.

Normally, I would want a young up-and-comer, but with the "window" being what it is, an experienced hand who will not implement something too different makes sense.
My money is it is either young up and comer or it is Phillips.

Nice to at least have a guy who will likely take the job if we offer it to him. We could have worse as a backup plan.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

With 1 CB like Jaire, I would really like a more aggressive D playcaller. More blitzing, always keep the O guessing. Almost similar to our offensive change, don't rely on winning 1 on 1's, scheme up rushers, set up their OL all day, when they think they know what's coming take advantage of it.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Only issue with Phillips is his age. A medical check in advance seems due diligence to me, as well as to make sure that Wade is still "sociable" and not some stubborn ol' man (this can be a real problem with older people, especially adding a huge age gap). Then I would go with him. He knows the NFL and he knows how to produce good defenses and he obviously wants to coach again.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I literally have no opinion on any of this. Any opinion on my behalf is pointless because we don't have the information.

I will be excited and support whoever Matt chooses.
Yoop wrote:

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I don't get the age hang up.

It is not as if Wade is going to coach and play nose tackle too.

What reasons besides age would we not want him?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

German_Panzer wrote:
31 Jan 2021 12:57
Only issue with Phillips is his age. A medical check in advance seems due diligence to me, as well as to make sure that Wade is still "sociable" and not some stubborn ol' man (this can be a real problem with older people, especially adding a huge age gap). Then I would go with him. He knows the NFL and he knows how to produce good defenses and he obviously wants to coach again.
I would also be concerned about his defensive philosophy possibly being "antiquated" for today's game, but if one of the best offensive minds in said game is doing the interview and does not see that as an issue, that would make me feel a lot better about it.

My gut tells me MLF will go with someone more like himself (at least that's what I read into Wade's tweet to Packer Nation), but yeah, if he's good with Phillips, then I am, too.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

The 34 goes all the way back to the 40s. Miami and the Raiders won SBs using a 34.

So many teams use it now because of the popularity of ZBS offensive schemes.

There's nothing new under the sun when it comes to the NFL. That is why I don't understand age complaints about coaches. It is not as if old people have a monopoly on being rigid or uncreative.

I want a one gap, attacking 34. Routinely sending 5, from different spots.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
31 Jan 2021 13:26
I would also be concerned about his defensive philosophy possibly being "antiquated"
actually I think sacking the QB is in vogue these days :lol: and Phillips is the sack master general.

I don't know, he's a stubborn SOB, thats why McVay probably let him go, imo he'll be demanding in the draft room, as long as Wade has the talent he'll produce a very good defense.

I also look at the age in that he's 73, almost twice the age of MLF, thats a lot of hours a day to put in, but if he's up to it I'am not sure we could find a better coach, not much Wade hasn't seen.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Pettine always seemed to come up small in big games. I'm ready for a change.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I mean it's almost certainly going to be someone MLF has worked with before, right? Which doesn't rule out Phillips. I have been wanting Wade Phillips since 2015 after he solved Rodgers and then won a SB with the Broncos, largely because of their dominant D who had been destroyed in the SB 2 years earlier. This after taking the Texans to becoming an elite unit.

The thing with his defenses is that they frequently decline after a few years, but man those few years are solid. I'm all aboard the Wade Phillips train. Took us 6 years but better late than never. Let's sign him to a 3 year contract, win 3 SBs, and then let him retire again.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

texas wrote:
01 Feb 2021 02:53
I mean it's almost certainly going to be someone MLF has worked with before, right? Which doesn't rule out Phillips. I have been wanting Wade Phillips since 2015 after he solved Rodgers and then won a SB with the Broncos, largely because of their dominant D who had been destroyed in the SB 2 years earlier. This after taking the Texans to becoming an elite unit.

The thing with his defenses is that they frequently decline after a few years, but man those few years are solid. I'm all aboard the Wade Phillips train. Took us 6 years but better late than never. Let's sign him to a 3 year contract, win 3 SBs, and then let him retire again.
I would prefer Phillips too. Long term a younger man could be a better choice because he will grow into the job, but the Packers only have a 1 or 2 year window now. Lack of a pass rush was the Packers' undoing this year. You have 4 studs at pass rush, the Smiths, Gary and Clark, you should have had Brady hearing footsteps after the first quarter.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Connecting more dots on coaching trees and Jeff Howard from Cleveland is someone Matt LaFleur should be talking to. Young guy, grew up with the Vikings under Zimmer and spent the past year under Joe Woods putting together that really good Cleveland defense. Woods was a new DC last year coming over from SF where he worked for Saleh.

Read More. Post Less.