Random stuff

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Jan 2021 19:09
APB wrote:
13 Jan 2021 18:44
What are the differences between a standard laptop and a Chromebook?
Operating system, for the most part. If all you do is web-based things, it's the way to go.
Yep, Windows 10 vs Chrome OS. Chromebooks are for internet usage. If you need to load any other applications that would normally work on a Windows PC, don't get a chromebook.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
13 Jan 2021 21:46
Pckfn23 wrote:
APB wrote:
Operating system, for the most part. If all you do is web-based things, it's the way to go.
Yep, Windows 10 vs Chrome OS. Chromebooks are for internet usage. If you need to load any other applications that would normally work on a Windows PC, don't get a chromebook.
OK, so she does occasionally open up a spread sheet or a PDF. Does the Chromebook have applications to still allow for that or no?

You guys have been very helpful, thanks!

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

APB wrote:
14 Jan 2021 06:21
paco wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

OK, so she does occasionally open up a spread sheet or a PDF. Does the Chromebook have applications to still allow for that or no?

You guys have been very helpful, thanks!
Microsoft Office products you should be good. There is an Office 365 app in the Google Play store. Just download and log into your account. If you need a standalone version of Excel or something, that you probably can't use.

Same goes for PDF support. Should be no problem to find an Adobe app, plus I'm sure there are Google apps that handle them too if you need to work with them. Opening will be no problem at all.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Chrome has a built in PDF viewer so no worries there.

Also, Google Sheets allows you to view, and even edit excel files. Same goes with Google Docs and Word files, as well as Google Slides and PowerPoint. Or as paco said you can go with Office 365, but you don't need to.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Jan 2021 07:08
Chrome has a built in PDF viewer so no worries there.

Also, Google Sheets allows you to view, and even edit excel files. Same goes with Google Docs and Word files, as well as Google Slides and PowerPoint. Or as paco said you can go with Office 365, but you don't need to.
I actually didn't know you could open Office stuff with the Google products. Nice to know!
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Furnace not working this morning. Starting to get a little chilly in the house. Another 2-5 hours before someone shows up. Too early in the day to start with the whiskey.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

motor shot. Replaced, $550 later I have heat again. But time to look for a new furnace.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
15 Jan 2021 10:45
Furnace not working this morning. Starting to get a little chilly in the house. Another 2-5 hours before someone shows up. Too early in the day to start with the whiskey.
...said nobody, ever.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

paco wrote:
15 Jan 2021 13:19
motor shot. Replaced, $550 later I have heat again. But time to look for a new furnace.
You could have waited until after the game. It would have almost been like being at Lambeau this weekend!
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

APB wrote:
16 Jan 2021 08:36
paco wrote:
15 Jan 2021 10:45
...said nobody, ever.
I'm working from home, but I probably shouldn't do it while I'm still working. Shouldn't.....
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheGreenMan wrote:
16 Jan 2021 09:56
paco wrote:
15 Jan 2021 13:19
You could have waited until after the game. It would have almost been like being at Lambeau this weekend!
I actually thought about this! The smell of brats and screaming fans (myself) will have to be enough.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

paco wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
APB wrote:
I am in the market for a laptop. Idea is to set it up at home as my second computer where I intend to connect it to one or two flat screen monitors, and of course connect it to the internet, a printer, mouse, and an external drive for backing up my files. Need it to have WORD, PowerPoint and Excel. I don't do gaming or watch videos. Probably just want O365 and Windows 10.

Also want to take the laptop on the road for hooking to the internet via wireless.

Any thoughts? HP, Dell, Others..........specific models of HP or Dell, etc. What about Apple? Please advise. Thanks.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Jan 2021 19:11
paco wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I am in the market for a laptop. Idea is to set it up at home as my second computer where I intend to connect it to one or two flat screen monitors, and of course connect it to the internet, a printer, mouse, and an external drive for backing up my files. Need it to have WORD, PowerPoint and Excel. I don't do gaming or watch videos. Probably just want O365 and Windows 10.

Also want to take the laptop on the road for hooking to the internet via wireless.

Any thoughts? HP, Dell, Others..........specific models of HP or Dell, etc. What about Apple? Please advise. Thanks.
The only thing special you seem to want to do is connect it to 2 monitors. You are going to need to find a laptop that has multiple video outputs and whatever output you need. Laptops these days don't tend to come with a lot of ports. So getting a docking station/port replicator with it might be something you want to look at. There are plenty of 3rd party ones out there, and most manufacturers have them as well.

The rest, follow guidelines that me and others have mentioned about RAM and such. The rest of the specs won't matter a ton for you. You can buy Office365 for those needs.

Brand, it's all personal preference. They each have a bit of a different feel. But I'll give me input on what I've dealt with. Mind you, that's mostly with enterprise laptops, not consumer.

HP - Overall decent quality. Supposed to have fairly decent support. I like the build of mine I just got. Seems sturdy. HP Pavilion is what I have.
Dell - Pretty much the same as HP. Been using Latitudes for several years at work and are built fairly well. Nothing fancy.
Apple - I'm not a MAC guy. Seems like it is overpriced, over-specialized crap for fanboys that just want to end up putting Windows on it anyway. But people love them for some reason.
Lenovo - Lenovo's tend to cost a little extra. I find they are built a bit better, but they aren't as fancy. Hinges and other parts don't break as easily. Not as innovative, but their stuff works well. But their service sucks big time.
Asus/Acer/MSI - More known for gamers, but they are solid companies that I would buy from. But I've never actually owned a laptop of theirs so can't say much.
Alienware - stay away for now. Overpriced gamer stuff that used to be great and aren't anymore.

In the end, as I've said, laptops are best touched. Get into a place and put your hands on the few. If it feels good in your hands, like the weight of it, you like the keyboard layout, it'll probably do the job for you.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Loved/Love Lenovo's Thinkpads. As paco said, they're not overly fancy, but they just work. If I were in the market for a windows machine, it would be a Thinkpad.

Wish I could afford/justify one of Google's Pixelbook Go though.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Dammit, now Hank Aaron died.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

paco wrote:
20 Jan 2021 14:26
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Jan 2021 19:11
paco wrote:

The only thing special you seem to want to do is connect it to 2 monitors. You are going to need to find a laptop that has multiple video outputs and whatever output you need. Laptops these days don't tend to come with a lot of ports. So getting a docking station/port replicator with it might be something you want to look at. There are plenty of 3rd party ones out there, and most manufacturers have them as well.

The rest, follow guidelines that me and others have mentioned about RAM and such. The rest of the specs won't matter a ton for you. You can buy Office365 for those needs.

Brand, it's all personal preference. They each have a bit of a different feel. But I'll give me input on what I've dealt with. Mind you, that's mostly with enterprise laptops, not consumer.

HP - Overall decent quality. Supposed to have fairly decent support. I like the build of mine I just got. Seems sturdy. HP Pavilion is what I have.
Dell - Pretty much the same as HP. Been using Latitudes for several years at work and are built fairly well. Nothing fancy.
Apple - I'm not a MAC guy. Seems like it is overpriced, over-specialized crap for fanboys that just want to end up putting Windows on it anyway. But people love them for some reason.
Lenovo - Lenovo's tend to cost a little extra. I find they are built a bit better, but they aren't as fancy. Hinges and other parts don't break as easily. Not as innovative, but their stuff works well. But their service sucks big time.
Asus/Acer/MSI - More known for gamers, but they are solid companies that I would buy from. But I've never actually owned a laptop of theirs so can't say much.
Alienware - stay away for now. Overpriced gamer stuff that used to be great and aren't anymore.

In the end, as I've said, laptops are best touched. Get into a place and put your hands on the few. If it feels good in your hands, like the weight of it, you like the keyboard layout, it'll probably do the job for you.
Thanks much Paco. Based on your comments, I'll start looking at a HP with a docking station/port replicator to handle 2 monitors.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Screech is dead...

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Not a surprise, but still sad. Screech didn't make many correct life choices after Saved by the Bell. People wondered why he wasn't at reunions and not in the new upcoming reboot. I'm sure health was 1 main reason for the latter.

Now that's out of the way, so who was your favorite? Kelly, Lisa, or Jessie?
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
01 Feb 2021 13:33
Not a surprise, but still sad. Screech didn't make many correct life choices after Saved by the Bell. People wondered why he wasn't at reunions and not in the new upcoming reboot. I'm sure health was 1 main reason for the latter.

Kelly. Hated the other two.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
01 Feb 2021 13:35
paco wrote:
01 Feb 2021 13:33

Kelly. Hated the other two.
They had their moments, but Kelly is the only answer. I'm still a Tiffani Thiessen fan. Pop on her cooking show from time to time.
RIP JustJeff