Pettine out - New DC is Joe Barry

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
31 Jan 2021 13:20
I don't get the age hang up.

It is not as if Wade is going to coach and play nose tackle too.

What reasons besides age would we not want him?
Good question. If the man is qualified, why not? The real question is if he will be interviewed for the job or not.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I like kris Richard
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I have been weighing the age vs experience thing. After reading a little bit about the candidates, here is an interesting proposal. Hire Chris Shula from the Rams as DC. Pedigree, youth, lineage, scheme, etc. checks all those boxes and then hire Wade as like a Senior Defensive Assistant. Essentially quasi-DC while Shula gets his feet wet for a year or two until Phillips retires again. I love that Rams scheme. I love the thought of a young defensive guru that comes from that and the Shula name sure doesn't hurt either as far as being committed to football. Just think you need to match that with some experience and Wade Phillips would pair nicely with that.

https://www.therams.com/team/coaches-roster/chris-shula

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

A name I will throw out their is Tyrone McKenzie.

He’s a young, up-and-coming coach who has coached on the same staffs as MLF at multiple stops - Rams (2017) and Titans (2018). He was drafted and played for Bill Belichick and he’s a respected fast riser within the coaching ranks. He was an assistant (ILB coach) under Dean Peas in Tennessee, saw notable success with his players, and was thought by many to be inline for the Titans DC position once Peas retired. Instead, Vrabel took over the defense, left the DC position vacant, and McKenzie moved on to Detroit as a member of Matt Patricia’s staff last year coaching the linebackers.

He’s a dark horse with limited experience but he and MLF know each other and he’s seen success. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him get an interview, at least.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

NCF wrote:
01 Feb 2021 08:26
Connecting more dots on coaching trees and Jeff Howard from Cleveland is someone Matt LaFleur should be talking to. Young guy, grew up with the Vikings under Zimmer and spent the past year under Joe Woods putting together that really good Cleveland defense. Woods was a new DC last year coming over from SF where he worked for Saleh.
I see they are going to interview Chris Kiffin. Was with Woods in Cleveland last season but came over with Woods from SF, which as I stated above connects back to Saleh. Also, dots back to Monte Kiffin, obviously, so grew up with a Tampa-2 influence.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/co ... ris-kiffin

Read More. Post Less.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
02 Feb 2021 08:06
My goodness. Well, I guess we can't say LaFleur isn't casting a wide net...

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I just want a DC that not only has the smarts to use the talent correctly, but one that has this team playing aggressive, intimidating defense. It's been so long since teams feared our defense.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

So they do not even interview Wade P.?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Not really following this at all yet, just not in packer mood yet, but saw Jim Leonhard's name come up, that got me excited.

Anyone carrying a list of actual interview or, past or scheduled?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
02 Feb 2021 09:25
Not really following this at all yet, just not in packer mood yet, but saw Jim Leonhard's name come up, that got me excited.

I think my last post from Demovsky is the list so far.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

A name to take off the list. People on twitter seemed to hate him anyway.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
02 Feb 2021 10:00
A name to take off the list. People on twitter seemed to hate him anyway.
He got dumped in NY for Mike Pettine when Rex Ryan got that job. Then, he went with Andy Reid where the Chiefs had terrible defenses right up until he was fired, so yeah, I am fine with this.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:

I put a nice list of candidates on Page 3. And...

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
02 Feb 2021 10:22
BF004 wrote:

I put a nice list of candidates on Page 3. And...

I want to know suppin about suppin right now :lol: the suspense over the hiring of a new DC is nerve racking :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Jim Leonhard played for Mike Pettine for what, 5-6 years?

In terms of getting up to speed quickly, I would imagine that would be about as little disruption as you could get, other than hiring from within house.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I like Jim Leonard, but I don't think he is ready. He had 1 really good season and hasn't been able to replicate that. I am not ready to crown him, yet.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Feb 2021 11:47
I like Jim Leonard, but I don't think he is ready. He had 1 really good season and hasn't been able to replicate that. I am not ready to crown him, yet.
And I don't think he wants to go to the Pros, not yet anyway. Even other college programs have been able to lure him away. But worth talking to.
RIP JustJeff

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Acrobat wrote:
02 Feb 2021 09:15
I just want a DC that not only has the smarts to use the talent correctly, but one that has this team playing aggressive, intimidating defense. It's been so long since teams feared our defense.
MLF seems to agree with you. Tidbit from a JS article:
Matt LaFleur wrote:“I think if you look at the great defenses around the league, there's a certain mentality that comes with that,” he said. “It's not necessarily what you're calling, but how you're playing every call.

“I do think that there's some areas where we can continue to educate our players and be great in those situations so that if it's a third down and short, that you're not playing way off. You don't want to give up any freebies. You want to make people earn every inch out there on the grass.”
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi