Aaron Freaking Rodgers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2021 23:01
APB wrote:
02 Feb 2021 20:13
Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Feb 2021 18:29
And there is the real point, complaining about not taking a WR in the first round of the 2020 NFL draft... Again.

Rodgers and the Packers offense was the highest scoring in the league in 2020.
We all knew it was coming.
of course you did, why would you think I'd change my mind, it was a wasted draft pick that wont help in Rodgers window, I'am not some homer like some of you and just agree with everything a GM does, LOve did absolutely nothing for this team, a WR would have helped this last year, next year and so on.

reality is this, the highest scoring offense in the league didn't score enough when it mattered most, and according to you and others here, another WR couldn't possibly have helped, do you people even listen to yourselves, laugh at me, to funny
You missed the point entirely.

None of us ever expect you to change your mind. It just doesn’t happen. Ever. The point was you just couldn’t help but state your same opinion, yet again, for like the gazillioneth time. You can’t even spare us the cliff notes version. You have to go on and on like it’s the first time saying it every...single...time.

Everyone here gets it. Geebus, we get it. That’s the friggin’ point.

Please don’t take this as yet another opportunity to say it again. I know. We all know.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Feb 2021 21:16
go pak go wrote:
02 Feb 2021 13:48
I agree the Packers should be in "go all in for 2021 and 2022 mode". I want it to happen.

I also don't know how that is going to happen when we are already essentially a bottom 5 team in terms of cap.

But I don't hate the idea of go all in for 2021 and 2022 and blow it up in 2023/2024.

The one nice thing about cap is you can clean it up in a year. You will absolutely suck during that year. But who cares? It's a year.
i think that ships sailed. The year to do that was last year and this year.
I always viewed our window as PRIME for 2020 and then maybe we could squeeze another out in 21 or 22. I figured if we won in 20 that actually taking a breather in 21 to set our roster up for 22 would have been best.

Losing the Title Game....a game we should have won was just such a large missed opportunity. And virtually every player had a part in the defeat, some far more than others outside of Clark, Alexander and MVS. How fitting is it that MVS, the ultimate Packers whipping boy pulls a Jarret Bush and shows up during the most important game of the Packers season.

But yeah I still am not as bullish on the 21 Packers as I was on the 20 Packers. The one true thing in my mind that can make us have a real shot is the DC is a hit and Rodgers doesn't lose what he did in 20.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
03 Feb 2021 05:05
bud fox wrote:
03 Feb 2021 03:27
Tee Higgins would have been good pick up ... Straight into the 2nd wr spot and potential number 1 we.
Captain Hindsight to the rescue!!

Never mind Higgins wasn’t considered a top end talent, he was over-targeted in a struggling offense, and was turned to by their rookie QB when their veteran WR struggled mightily...none of which happened in GB.
this Higgins

In the 2020 NFL Draft, Higgins was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals in the second round with the 33rd overall pick.[14] On July 28, Higgins signed his rookie deal, a four-year contract worth $8.6 million.[15] Higgins made his NFL debut in Week 1 of the 2020 season against the Los Angeles Chargers.[16] In Week 2, he recorded his first three professional receptions for 35 yards against the Cleveland Browns on Thursday Night Football.[17] In Week 3, against the Philadelphia Eagles, he had five receptions for 40 yards and his first two receiving touchdowns in the 23–23 tie.[18] In Week 6 against the Indianapolis Colts, he had six receptions for 125 receiving yards in the 31–27 loss.[19] In Week 10 against the Pittsburgh Steelers, he had seven receptions for 115 receiving yards and one receiving touchdown during the 36–10 loss.[20] Higgins finished the season with 67 receptions for 908 yards and six touchdowns. His 67 catches tied a Bengals rookie record set by Cris Collinsworth in 1981.[21] His 908 receiving yards ranked him third among all rookie receivers in 2020, behind Justin Jefferson and CeeDee Lamb.

Higgins had a first round grade, but was taken with the first pick in round 2, had 67 receptions from that rookie QB for almost a 1000 yrds, no telling what he could have done for us, no one here wanted him because we already have 4 receivers with the same physical dimensions, hardly hindsight when most of the football world thought he'd do well, and specially since he did.
Last edited by Yoop on 03 Feb 2021 07:07, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Feb 2021 18:29
And there is the real point, complaining about not taking a WR in the first round of the 2020 NFL draft... Again.

Rodgers and the Packers offense was the highest scoring in the league in 2020.
of course you did, why would you think I'd change my mind, it was a wasted draft pick that wont help in Rodgers window, I'am not some homer like some of you and just agree with everything a GM does, LOve did absolutely nothing for this team, a WR would have helped this last year, next year and so on.

reality is this, the highest scoring offense in the league didn't score enough when it mattered most, and according to you and others here, another WR couldn't possibly have helped, do you people even listen to yourselves, laugh at me, to funny
I don't get why we are labeled as "homers" just because we don't make every post on this forum b*tching about not trading up for Justin Jefferson, or if you're budfox, Tee Higgins, but the act of you making every excuse in the book for one player is not being a homer.

Like you are the exact definition of a homer. Honestly far beyond a homer of the lengths you will go to defend your man. And honestly I hate saying that because Rodgers is all of our man and I don't think it is right you get to claim that or police who is a true Rodgers fan on this forum.

The fact is we had a good enough team in 2020 to be a SB team. We were the #1 seed for a reason. We very easily could have been better than a 13-3 team if it were not for uncharacteristic mistakes which maybe we could attribute to even having a fringe guy like Shepherd on the roster, who cost us a game but in the end it didn't matter. We were the #1 seed at full strength in our biggest game.

We had more sustaining drives than the Bucs. We had more plays. We had more first downs. We had more yards. We won the turnover the battle. We literally had the entire recipe of being the SB team for the exception of our defense not being able to make the play when it mattered most and our offense not being able to make the play when it mattered most.

On defense, our inability to make plays were highly unprobable goofs that everyone should own. On offense, we had 6 shots of being inside the 10 yard line to get into the EZ and we couldn't do it when we have been the best at it in the league all year.

I put that squarely on the players and squarely on the coaches. The ingredients were there. The team simply choked as did the 98 Vikings, 2007 Patriots, 2011 Packers and the 2014 Packers. The best team didn't win and I don't see the need to try and make myself feel better by having the scaepgoat be we didn't draft a WR. Would it have hurt? Absolutely not. I think JJ would have been a great addition for the Packers and hindsight we would have all loved to have had our 1st and 3rd round pick = Justin Jefferson.

But the plays were there to be made and we just didn't make them. The Bucs were not this insurmountable team. The Packers just didn't make the plays when the plays were there to be made. I can think of 2 plays on the top of my head for our defense and a handful of plays for our offense committed by multiple players that would have caused a double digit swing in the score if our players just made the plays that were there to be made.

And that's the sh*tty thing about one and done football. The best teams don't win a lot of the times. And it really sucks for Packers fans because we are becoming that "best team that doesn't win" a lot.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Feb 2021 06:32
Drj820 wrote:
02 Feb 2021 21:16
go pak go wrote:
02 Feb 2021 13:48
I agree the Packers should be in "go all in for 2021 and 2022 mode". I want it to happen.

I also don't know how that is going to happen when we are already essentially a bottom 5 team in terms of cap.

But I don't hate the idea of go all in for 2021 and 2022 and blow it up in 2023/2024.

The one nice thing about cap is you can clean it up in a year. You will absolutely suck during that year. But who cares? It's a year.
i think that ships sailed. The year to do that was last year and this year.
I always viewed our window as PRIME for 2020 and then maybe we could squeeze another out in 21 or 22. I figured if we won in 20 that actually taking a breather in 21 to set our roster up for 22 would have been best.

Losing the Title Game....a game we should have won was just such a large missed opportunity. And virtually every player had a part in the defeat, some far more than others outside of Clark, Alexander and MVS. How fitting is it that MVS, the ultimate Packers whipping boy pulls a Jarret Bush and shows up during the most important game of the Packers season.

But yeah I still am not as bullish on the 21 Packers as I was on the 20 Packers. The one true thing in my mind that can make us have a real shot is the DC is a hit and Rodgers doesn't lose what he did in 20.
all I know is that we needed every oppertunity possible to win it, and didn't get it, and I'am the black sheep around here for saying it :thwap:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Feb 2021 06:58
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

I don't get why we are labeled as "homers" just because we don't make every post on this forum b*tching about not trading up for Justin Jefferson, or if you're budfox, Tee Higgins, but the act of you making every excuse in the book for one player is not being a homer.

Like you are the exact definition of a homer. Honestly far beyond a homer of the lengths you will go to defend your man. And honestly I hate saying that because Rodgers is all of our man and I don't think it is right you get to claim that or police who is a true Rodgers fan on this forum.

The fact is we had a good enough team in 2020 to be a SB team. We were the #1 seed for a reason. We very easily could have been better than a 13-3 team if it were not for uncharacteristic mistakes which maybe we could attribute to even having a fringe guy like Shepherd on the roster, who cost us a game but in the end it didn't matter. We were the #1 seed at full strength in our biggest game.

We had more sustaining drives than the Bucs. We had more plays. We had more first downs. We had more yards. We won the turnover the battle. We literally had the entire recipe of being the SB team for the exception of our defense not being able to make the play when it mattered most and our offense not being able to make the play when it mattered most.

On defense, our inability to make plays were highly unprobable goofs that everyone should own. On offense, we had 6 shots of being inside the 10 yard line to get into the EZ and we couldn't do it when we have been the best at it in the league all year.

I put that squarely on the players and squarely on the coaches. The ingredients were there. The team simply choked as did the 98 Vikings, 2007 Patriots, 2011 Packers and the 2014 Packers. The best team didn't win and I don't see the need to try and make myself feel better by having the scaepgoat be we didn't draft a WR. Would it have hurt? Absolutely not. I think JJ would have been a great addition for the Packers and hindsight we would have all loved to have had our 1st and 3rd round pick = Justin Jefferson.

But the plays were there to be made and we just didn't make them. The Bucs were not this insurmountable team. The Packers just didn't make the plays when the plays were there to be made. I can think of 2 plays on the top of my head for our defense and a handful of plays for our offense committed by multiple players that would have caused a double digit swing in the score if our players just made the plays that were there to be made.

And that's the sh*tty thing about one and done football. The best teams don't win a lot of the times. And it really sucks for Packers fans because we are becoming that "best team that doesn't win" a lot.
I agree with practically every word, the reason I stand up for Rodgers against others, and in this case with Jefferson, is that no one agree's with me, in fact it's just the opposite, you and others defend not taking him, or any receiver, it was never just Jefferson, he was simply my fav, there where plenty of other slot receivers in the class in later rounds, and it's impossible to know how much they would have helped, and before ya say that Rookies don't get to play, that doesn't seem to be the case with MLF, Ervin was new, same as Austin.

sure I agree we made to many mistakes to win, but we only lost by 5, just maybe that rookie receiver could have made the difference, course we'll never know cause Gutty seemed to refuse to take one anywhere in the entire draft.

King has a point, it seems we do just enough for lady luck to say "not this time" for like the last 4 times we make it this far, and towards the end he makes my point, ya never know who is going to be the difference maker.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jordan-lov ... 49501.html

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
03 Feb 2021 07:23
just maybe that rookie receiver could have made the difference, course we'll never know cause Gutty seemed to refuse to take one anywhere in the entire draft.
This is where you are wrong. This is black and white. No gray area here. You are wrong. Gutey didn't "refuse" to take one. He took players he and his staff deemed to be better than any WR available at the time we picked. He literally said this in post-Draft conferences. They wanted a WR and the board never worked out in their favor.

You can contend that they could have reached and picked one anyway (stupid) or better manipulated the board to get into position to get one (much, much less stupid) but it just didn't work out that way.

He also signed Devin Funchess. We can debate up and down how much that would have mattered, but I don't think there was any point in signing him if he wasn't in our 2020 plans. In April (when the Draft takes place) Devin Funchess was factored into the offense. In July (when Funchess opted out) he wasn't. Very unfortunate that it happened that way and we will never know what kind of difference Funchess would have made, but this is why it is $%@# bull &%$@ that you and plenty of others continue to say we did nothing. It wasn't true then and it still is not true now.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
03 Feb 2021 07:23
I agree with practically every word, the reason I stand up for Rodgers against others, and in this case with Jefferson, is that no one agree's with me,
Funny thing is your truly believe this.

Like I have mentioned to you many a times, Jefferson was my fav, I hated the Love pick, I hated the Dillon pick. As did many. But I've said it multiple times and moved on, not thousands.

I also realize there was a possibility there was zero chance we could have gotten Jefferson. I realize we traded up the year before, doesn't mean we could have this year. Maybe we could have, I don't know, so I'm not gunna lose any sleep over it. I wasn't ready to trade up for Jefferson at 21 yet, I was ready to move 1 and 2 to get Lamb around 15.

But I control what I can control, I get excited for guys like Gary and Love and Dillon, even if I didn't like the picks. I don't look for reasons why they were bad picks, in fact the opposite, I look for reasons why and how I can now support them. Starting to head in the right direction with Gary and Dillon already.

And I love Aaron and will support him to the end, I'd trade Love today and extend Aaron 3 more years. I have no idea what all goes on with your bicker match with go pack go, I've stopped paying attention long ago. But I will also call a bad pass a bad pass when I see one, that is not a knock on Aaron and no reason to get defensive for the guy. There were 30 plays that if just any one or two of them were better, we could have beat Tampa. That includes a few plays from Aaron, certainly not attacking him, that is just fact. Doesn't mean he is even close to the reason why we lost.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Feb 2021 20:02
Pugger wrote:
02 Feb 2021 19:34
Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Feb 2021 14:32
Wagner, Turner, Amos, P. Smith, Z. Smith... That's a lot of produce!

Maybe meat and taters like Dillon, Degura, Jenkins, Sternberger!
I think AR wants some snacks like a WR opposite Adams and perhaps a true slot guy. to balance out the produce, meat and potatoes.
Marginal upgrade unless the the guy is a true #1.

We did get snacks, Snacks Harrison!

I slot/gadget guy would be helpful, but not something any of us thought was truly necessary a year ago.
:lol:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Feb 2021 21:21
The Packers obviously had the talent to get to the super bowl in 2020. I am firmly in the camp that believes that. i think they didnt make the super bowl bc they essentially choked in the NFC Championship.

However, Going Rashan Gary at 12 when you just spend 100m+ on the position, then going Love when you have Rodgers and Dillon when you have Jones and Williams on the roster is like the opposite of going all in for now. Its thinking hard about the future.

I would wager that if there was ever a time to go "all in" and worry less about 4 years down the line would have been the 2020 season before we lost Aaron Jones, Linsley, a CB and etc.
A lot of people moaned about Gute taking Gary at #12 but it looks like we might have something kinda special here after all.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

bud fox wrote:
03 Feb 2021 03:24
Our receivers are what they are because of Rodgers.

Same with our oline.

Best talent he has been given recently is a 2nd round guard.

I guess we just have to wait to see how this team does when Rodgers is gone. Hopefully before then we build out a better team and don't have to rely on godly QB play.
Not all of our receivers are what they are because of Rodgers. ;)

Our OL as a group would be good on any team.

Too bad Dillon missed so many games because of COVID and Deguara landed on IR. Hopefully they will make a big impact in 2021.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I honestly think the draft board just fell exactly the way the Packers didn't want it to fall last year.

I really do believe that had Brandon Auyick not been selected by SF...we would be going after a WR in Rd 1. But once he went to SF at 25....our board was empty.

That's the draft. Sometimes the board works for you and other times it doesn't. I agree that it sucks we have a player who will not contribute for our "need" from 2020 to 2022. But it still may end up being a player we adore 10 years from now.

Finally, I really don't think we ever had a shot for Jefferson outside of really spending a lot. MN had WAAAAY more draft capital than we had and if they really liked him....they would have outbid us because it was easy for them to do so.

The issue with WR is they just went BAM off the board. BAM off the board. BAM off the board. After Pick 20, Reagor, Jefferson, and Aiyuck were all on the board. Things honestly looked up for us on getting a guy we wanted. And then 3 of them go in 5 picks.

With the advantage of looking back, we still would have needed to trade with Jacksonville at 20 to get a WR. At minimum we are likely talking a 3 and a 4 and that's if Jacksonville even wanted to trade. But why would we do that trade when there were still 3 WRs on the board? Like if you really put yourself back in that situation...you will see that trading up for Jefferson was just not gonna happen. Now MAYBE an argument could have been made to trade up with LA Chargers or NO's to get Aiyuck. I imagine we are talking a 4 and 5 or a 3 to do that....would that have been right?

Who knows. Again all depends on how Jordan Love develops and also assuming NO's or LAC wanted to trade back.
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
03 Feb 2021 05:05
bud fox wrote:
03 Feb 2021 03:27
Tee Higgins would have been good pick up ... Straight into the 2nd wr spot and potential number 1 we.
Captain Hindsight to the rescue!!

Never mind Higgins wasn’t considered a top end talent, he was over-targeted in a struggling offense, and was turned to by their rookie QB when their veteran WR struggled mightily...none of which happened in GB.
Higgins was taken with the first pick in the second round. He would have been a fine pick for us had we stayed at #30.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I didn't buy what Guty was selling in this presser or the one right after the draft, and as soon as the draft was over and I complained about the Love pick a bunch here defended the Guty and the pick, even in round two Guty could have traded one way or the other to take a receiver, but NO, it seemed like a conserted effort to NOT take a receiver, after the draft when almost every sports person rediculed him about it he went and got Funchess.
I was done with this a long time ago, however someone always brings something up to get it started, or says I'am narrow minded and wont attempt to consider other opinions, why would I ever agree with opinions I don't agree with NCF, and that goes for any subject, it's one thing to keep a open mind, and I do, however when I make a decision it usually follows investigating the circumstances which I did concerning this pick, Rodgers wasn't going any where, had still been playing like a top 3 or 4 QB, why draft his replacement, just insane.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
03 Feb 2021 08:53
after the draft when almost every sports person rediculed him about it he went and got Funchess.
Sigh...

April 2, 2020
The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Devin Funchess. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transaction Thursday.
https://www.packers.com/news/packers-si ... n-funchess

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
why would I ever agree with opinions I don't agree with NCF
You shouldn't and you don't.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Feb 2021 08:38
Finally, I really don't think we ever had a shot for Jefferson outside of really spending a lot. MN had WAAAAY more draft capital than we had and if they really liked him....they would have outbid us because it was easy for them to do so.

The issue with WR is they just went BAM off the board. BAM off the board. BAM off the board. After Pick 20, Reagor, Jefferson, and Aiyuck were all on the board. Things honestly looked up for us on getting a guy we wanted. And then 3 of them go in 5 picks.
how would Minny even know if we moved up in front of them for any of these 3 receivers, you snooze and you lose, and there where 4 or 5 in the next two rounds we could have taken, nada, cripes almost the entire football world agree's with me, even TJ Lang shakes his head at the Love pick, and somehow I'am a idiot and narrow minded for seeing this his way.

lis, I like Guty, I just refuse to see every decision he makes with open arms, I want to build this roster for the present, and not so much for the future.

Ron Wolfs words ring true for me when he said if he had anything he would have done differently it would have been to get Favre better receivers, I felt the same was true with Ted the last 5 years of his tenure and now the same with Gutkunst, the gun dont fire without bullets.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
03 Feb 2021 09:00
Yoop wrote:
why would I ever agree with opinions I don't agree with NCF
You shouldn't and you don't.
well, thanks, I think, and truely, I'am sorry that this went on and on again, for God sakes you know I love all you guys, I really mean this. :beer2:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
03 Feb 2021 08:58
Yoop wrote:
after the draft when almost every sports person rediculed him about it he went and got Funchess.
Sigh...

April 2, 2020
The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Devin Funchess. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transaction Thursday.
https://www.packers.com/news/packers-si ... n-funchess
ouch, I thought it was after the draft. :thwap:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
03 Feb 2021 09:08
go pak go wrote:
03 Feb 2021 08:38

how would Minny even know if we moved up in front of them for any of these 3 receivers, you snooze and you lose, and there where 4 or 5 in the next two rounds we could have taken, nada, cripes almost the entire football world agree's with me, even TJ Lang shakes his head at the Love pick, and somehow I'am a idiot and narrow minded for seeing this his way.
There is a chance Minny wouldn't know we are talking to the Jaguars.

There is also a chance the Jaguars call MN and say, "GB wants to move up from 30 to 20 to likely take Jefferson. They are offering a 3 and 4....you offer a 4 to move up two spots and Jefferson is yours"

I'm just saying that wouldn't shock me if that stuff happens. And when you are negotiating and have less capital to play with...a lot more has to align for you to win that deal.

The WRs taken after Aiyuck were fine WRs. But they were not the WR types we wanted on this board. They were in the similar mold of WR that we have already on the roster.
Yoop wrote: