BF004 2021 Mock Offseason v.002

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Why?

There is no way he is available there
13%
You could get him way later
20%
We don't need that position
7%
You didn't address this position
20%
Top 5 pick, here we come
13%
Looks like 16-0 to me
27%

Total votes: 15

BF004
Reactions:

BF004 2021 Mock Offseason v.002

Post by BF004 »

A BF Mock
V.002

>

Noteables
- Packers pick 29
- NFL agrees to smooth the cap hit some, with the 14 team playoffs and 17 game season and upcoming TV contract, salary cap beats most expectations and comes in at 198.2 million, making it exactly the same as 2020.
- Sportrac presently puts the Packers at about 198.5 million in 2021 cap committment, which is including 2021 draft picks, PS, etc.
- Also has the Packers at about 4.1 millino in 2020 cap rollover
- All in all, this puts the Packers about 3.8 million under the cap, which is excluding their typical 5-10 million contingency heading into the season.
- Packers hire Jim Leonhard are Defensive Coordinator - smooth transition from Pettine to a guy who played under him for 6 years, lifelong Packer fan from Ladysmith, WI. Brings the attitude Matt wants his coaches to have.

Releases
Christian Kirksey - His release will save the Packers $6 million
9.8 million cap remaining

Preston Smith - His release will save the Packers $8 million
17.8 million cap remaining

Ricky Wagner - Tough call here, moving on from Wagner can allow us to make a play to keep Linsley, frees up 4.25 million. He bailed us out of some games, but Turner looked good enough at RT where it is hard to keep a backup RTO on roster.
22 million in cap

Extensions/Signins/Moves
Davante Adams - Signs a 3 year 66 million dollar extension (2022-2024), this will also lower Davante's 2021 cap hit from 16.85 to closer to 12.85, saving another 4 million.
26 million cap remaining

Aaron Rodgers - They give Aaron a 2021 and 2022 committment by restructuring contract, they convert 12 million of his base salary to signing bonus lowering this years cap by about 9 million
35 million cap remaining

Corey Linsley Signs a 3 year 39 million extension. This will make thim the highest paid center in the NFL, he has earned it.
Down to 27 million

Jamal Williams - Signs a 2 year deal worth $5 million. Just can't come to terms with Aaron Jones, bring back a proven guy who is plus in pass pro and still gives us a very competent backfield with AJ Dillon.
Down to 26 million in cap

Lane Taylor Guy keeps winning starting jobs in TC. Bring him back for the vet minimum.
Down to 25 million in cap

Robert Tonyan - RFA Bobby is given the 2nd round tender with 3.45 million
Cap down to 21.5

Losses
Aaron Jones Gets 5 years and 75 million in Miami, just can't match that
Kevin King 2 years, 20 million in Detroit
Montravious Adams 1 year 4 million with the Patriots
Tavon Austin --
Tyler Ervin --

Extensions/Signings/Moves

JJ Watt 3 year contract worth 36 million, I am assuming he will be released and won't count against our comp picks. Reggie White/Charles Woodson 3.0, instantly changes the entire locker room on the D. I want this to happen so bad. Gives us the Preston Smith edge replacement at a lower 2021 cap hit, as well as a more interior presence as well. The whole Ryan/Pettine/Leonhard defense has always had a great emphasis and length and JJ is a big man. Keeps our potential 4 man pass rush just brutal with JJ, Kenny, Rashan and Z.

William Jackson 2 years 22 million. Very under the radar FA, already 29 despite just coming off his 5th year option, had a 71.1 PFF grade last year and has a low completion % and QB rating when targeted throughout his career. Sportrac only has him at a 3 year 18 million dollar market value contract, seems low to me, good value signing here. Good size at 6'0" and is a burner, 4.37 speed.

One of only 3 people to ever do this:

NFL DRAFT

*** TRADE ***
Carolina moves up to 29 giving 39 and 71 to get Mac Jones

Round 2 - Pick 7
Baron Browning - LB - Ohio State - 6'3" 241
Swiss Army knife in the front 7, off ball LB with great athleticism and coverage skills, strength to play on the line and set the edge, been killing it at the senior bowl on the edge. Oren Burks with strength, instints and confidence. Cookie cutter 3-4 LB size.
https://www.buckeyextra.com/storyimage/ ... 109789.jpg
Baron Browning is an exciting yet under-the-radar draft prospect, and it seems necessary to start with his athletic profile. Browning could very well test as an elite athlete at the NFL Combine. As mentioned earlier, he had a 4.56 40-yard dash and a 37.5-inch vertical as a recruit. It’s hard to imagine those numbers getting worse, especially after Browning continued to develop his frame and suffered no major injuries.

Standing at 6-foot-3, 240 pounds, Browning is an extremely imposing athletic specimen. He has excellent explosiveness both downfield and laterally, and his dense frame is hard to shake when he has momentum. Browning also has good lightness of feet, and he’s also an extremely energetic player who leaves everything out on the field.

*** TRADE ***
Packers give up 61 and their 5th and 5th round comp pick to move up to 52

Round 2 - Pick 19
Dillon Radunz - OL - NDSU - 6'5" 310
Another Senior Bowl stand-out. Killing it at LT and LG all week.
Dillon Radunz projects as a starting offensive tackle at the NFL level. While his collegiate experience is at left tackle, I don’t see a reason why he couldn’t line up on the right side at the NFL level.

He is a reliable pass protector, playing with good leverage and technique, fluid movement skills, and great competitive toughness. Radunz should be able to match up well with the majority of defenders he will face. He has a smooth, balanced kick-slide that lets him play with urgency without ever appearing panicked. He is also a good run blocker who can win — or at least stalemate — in both power and zone running schemes. Radunz has good play strength and great competitive toughness. Radunz always executes his assignments, blocks through the whistle, and looks for work when he doesn’t initially have anyone to block. He is also a very smart blocker and is rarely surprised by stunts, twists, or blitzes from the defense.

Radunz lacks truly stand-out “elite” athletic traits and measurables, and that could cause him to slip below some teams’ radar. Particularly if they have concerns over defenders with truly elite traits. That being said, he should have a very short learning curve in the NFL thanks to his experience and polished technique.

While Radunz isn’t an exciting prospect — he is far from the biggest, longest, strongest, or most athletic tackle prospect — he seems like the kind of player the Green Bay Packers or Pittsburgh Steelers draft after the first round and becomes a 10-year starter.

Round 3 - Pick 7 (From Carolina)
Dwayne Eskridge - WR - Western Michigan - 5'10" 188
Nasty off the LOS, instant impact on jet sweep and special teams, KR and PR week 1. I see a lot of potential to develop as a WR as well, albeit small, Matt can find a way to get the ball in his hands and he is dangerous
Eskridge projects as a dangerous offensive weapon in the right scheme. He should be able to start as a slot receiver in any offense, but will have his greatest impact in a system which allows him to play across the offensive formation.

His size will likely pigeonhole him as a slot receiver in the eyes of many at the NFL level, but he has the ability to line up across the offensive formation. He isn’t fit to be an every-down X receiver, but he has a varied and efficient release against press coverage, giving the offensive coordinator the freedom to line him up there if a favorable matchup is identified.

Eskridge not only has the ability to turn any routine slant route or mesh concept into a game-changing play, but he has the speed and ball skills to be a legitimate deep threat as well. Eskridge doesn’t quite have true 4.2 speed, but his unofficial 4.33 speed is likely accurate and is more than enough to take the top off of most defenses. He also has the ability to outplay his listed height, with a good leaping ability to maximize his catch radius, as well as impressive body control to adjust, contort, or spin his body in mid-air to make difficult catches and truly high-point the ball.

His competitive toughness is impressive as well. Eskridge is a physical and determined player who never shies away from contact. He might not be able to dominate some defenders, but he will block anyone, anywhere on the field.

Eskridge will need to land with a team that has a plan for how to use him, but he is a player with the ability to change the complexion of a game on any play.

*** TRADE ***
Packers give up their 3rd and 4th to move up in the 3rd

Round 3 - Pick 10
Greg Newsome - CB - Northwestern - 6'1" 190
Honestly reminds me of Jaire, swag, confidence, blanket, not afraid to tackle or hit, maybe a bit less athletic.
Greg Newsome II is one of the underrated defensive backs in the 2021 class. Don’t be fooled by the lack of ball production, he has all the traits you look for in a modern NFL defensive back. He possesses the ability to change direction with fluidity, click and close on routes with some of the elite in this class, and plays with physicality.

Round 4- Pick 37 (comp)
Bobby Brown III - DL - Texas A&M - 6'4" 315
Big boy in the middle, naturally strong, still with room to grow. Has some upside to improve his pass rush ability.
Bobby Brown III is an interior defender that’s built like a brick house. He possesses a very mature body that helps him maintain leverage as a run defender on the interior. He’s proven to anchor well and has the lower-body strength to stand pat at the point of attack. Brown III does everything that you can ask a run defender to do on the interior of the first level. While he isn’t a big sack artist, he has the ability to create pressure strictly off of gaining penetration with his natural strength. Playing mainly the 1-technique, he has gained lots of experience against double teams. He’s routinely able to use his mature frame, power, and short-area quickness to create quick wins along the interior. While his value mainly shows up pre-third down, his presence in the middle causes constant problems for offenses when his motor constantly runs.

*** TRADE ***
Packers trade their 6th and 7th to move up in the 6th

Round 6 - Pick 13
Kylin Hill - RB - Texas A&M - 6'1" 205
Borderline WR with power and pass blocking strengths. Seems like a perfect fit for this O, can be used in a lot of 2 back sets with his ability in the passing game.
Even between the twenties, Kylin Hill finishes runs searching for contact to widdle down defenders throughout the course of the game. This tough running-style also brings a combative attitude which has gotten him into the facemask of more than one defender during his playing time. Even between the twenties, Kylin Hill finishes runs searching for contact to widdle down defenders throughout the course of the game. This tough running-style also brings a combative attitude which has gotten him into the facemask of more than one defender during his playing time.

The final mark on Hill’s scouting report goes to his consistent pass-protection which will be valued highly among NFL organizations. Hill steps up and sets his feet with a solid base off the snap, and is scanning for gap-shooting blitzes to confront. On one snap against LSU, Hill also called out pre-snap protections, showing his pre-snap knowledge and football intelligence.
The final mark on Hill’s scouting report goes to his consistent pass-protection which will be valued highly among NFL organizations. Hill steps up and sets his feet with a solid base off the snap, and is scanning for gap-shooting blitzes to confront. On one snap against LSU, Hill also called out pre-snap protections, showing his pre-snap knowledge and football intelligence.

Round 6 - Pick 38 (Comp)
Brenden Jaimes T - Nebraska 6'5" 300

Brenden aligns at Left Tackle for the Huskers' offense. He has spent significant time at Right Tackle as well, which can offer some appeal with positional flexibility. His athleticism is sufficient with regards to his agility and body quickness. In the run game, he demonstrates good strength to get his feet in the neutral zone. He will get some vertical movement in the run game. He does have ideal block temperament and has moments of good finish. In the passing game, he demonstrates good length on the edge. Jaimes is tough to bull rush due to his good strength and ability to anchor. Overall, this player has redeeming value in his ability to play multiple positions up front. However, he is ideally suited to play Guard. He can get you out of a game at Tackle if necessary, but his ability to swing and play multiple roles should serve as his best asset to him in the NFL.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Doesn't Greg remind you of someone else? Like...Craig?
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Trudge wrote:
04 Feb 2021 13:44
Doesn't Greg remind you of someone else? Like...Craig?
I totally thought of that. :P

I actually used to live like 3 blocks away from him, his wife taught at the middle school in Holmen and he was the D Coordinator at the HS.

But when I watch the video, I just see Jaire.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Are you TRYING to give the "We haven't given Aaron enough weapons/We haven't drafted a high round WR" crowd a heart attack? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good stuff. Would love to see Watt in GB, but not sure he is worth that at this point, or will hold up for 2-3 more years. Love your first two picks though.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Cool beans. Leonhard is a guy I like. Not my #1 choice, but still.

I am more-or-less fine with the in-house FA moves.

I like bringing Watt in if the money works. It's a bit of a luxury, but that's fine. I'll be surprised if William Jackson is not paid starter money by someone.

Draft...

I would love to add a player to our defense like Browning has been described.
Fine with the OL pick.

I don't like using a 3rd on a 5'9 receiver. I actually disagree with this prevailing notion I have been hearing from some around here that our offense "needs" a Cobb-style slot guy. We move Adams into the slot for that. Otherwise, it's not really something LaFleur seems to use, typically it's a big body who can block like Lazard. And you have extended Adams. I rather look for guy who replaces the skill-set of Lazard and/or MVS.

Love the Newsome pick, I took him in 2 in mine but early 3 is plausible.
Good finds in the mids/late, those look like guys who can find a niche somewhere and possibly develop.

Overall, pretty good. I am skeptical of the Jackson signing but this mock works even without it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

really like this draft, I like the slide back , I know some here aren't to impressed with with Browning, but at that spot I think the value lines up, and between him Martin and Barnes that position is in much better shape, we obviously need a tackle, and Eskridge looks like a great scheme fit, good speed, nice feet, he'll freeze the defenses, and another corner along with Jackson, double dipping there is a good idea, plus you've got everyones man crush with TJ, adding him would max out our pass rush ( Gary had 35 pressures the last 8 games, X 2 = 70 pressures, thats borderline studly :lol: )

nice work, I'll research the players as I get the time. :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Packfntk wrote:
04 Feb 2021 14:07
Are you TRYING to give the "We haven't given Aaron enough weapons/We haven't drafted a high round WR" crowd a heart attack? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good stuff. Would love to see Watt in GB, but not sure he is worth that at this point, or will hold up for 2-3 more years. Love your first two picks though.

Haaaa, I got wood man :rotf: everyone thought all I wanted was a first round guy, and sure typically 1st rounders are more ready to play, but thats not always true, heck I thought Cobb was ready day 1, same with Jennings, this Eskridge looks polished beating a jamb.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
04 Feb 2021 14:08
Cool beans. Leonhard is a guy I like. Not my #1 choice, but still.

I am more-or-less fine with the in-house FA moves.

I like bringing Watt in if the money works. It's a bit of a luxury, but that's fine. I'll be surprised if William Jackson is not paid starter money by someone.

Draft...

I would love to add a player to our defense like Browning has been described.
Fine with the OL pick.

I don't like using a 3rd on a 5'9 receiver. I actually disagree with this prevailing notion I have been hearing from some around here that our offense "needs" a Cobb-style slot guy. We move Adams into the slot for that. Otherwise, it's not really something LaFleur seems to use, typically it's a big body who can block like Lazard. And you have extended Adams. I rather look for guy who replaces the skill-set of Lazard and/or MVS.

Love the Newsome pick, I took him in 2 in mine but early 3 is plausible.
Good finds in the mids/late, those look like guys who can find a niche somewhere and possibly develop.

Overall, pretty good. I am skeptical of the Jackson signing but this mock works even without it.
I think your missing the part about needing a jet sweeper, it's not just a slot receiver position we are trying to fill here, it's how a dangerous motion player forces a defense to honor that motion by sliding in that direction to defend him, which opens the back door, mis direction. we lost Ervin around the 5 or 6th game, as good as this defense was last year, imho it was best with Ervin in it, true I wish he was 5'10 190, but if ya want one of those it's probably cost more.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk_Today wrote:
Would love to see Watt in GB, but not sure he is worth that at this point, or will hold up for 2-3 more years.
Packfntk_in_2014 wrote:
Would love to see Peppers in GB, but not sure he is worth that at this point, or will hold up for 2-3 more years.
Packfntk_in_2006 wrote:
Would love to see Woodson in GB, but not sure he is worth that at this point, or will hold up for 2-3 more years.
Packfntk_in_1993 wrote:
Would love to see White in GB, but not sure he is worth that at this point, or will hold up for 2-3 more years.
Packfntk_in_1919 wrote:
Would love to see Lambeau in GB, but not sure he is worth that at this point, or will hold up for 2-3 more years.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

When will [mention]Packfntk[/mention] ever learn!? :rotf:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

IT'S ALL FAKE NEWS! FAKE NEWS I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FACT CHECK HIM! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BTW BF004, Fantstic work on the mock. Yours are always so great. The NFL Prime music makes me feel like I am GM reading it.

Some really interesting picks and finds too in your draft.

I love the JJ Watt thing. I don't think we can afford him at that price. But I do wonder if he comes to GB at a serious discount because we are a winner and we are is home. I think there is actually a decent chance he is a Packer in 21. But it all depends on how much he wants to be a Packer.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Son of a gun you stole my William Jackson FA. I've been piping that a few times and really hope he comes here. Id give him a 3 or 4 year deal only knock is health but hes a top cb. Fixes the hole at corner and still cheap enough to not have to make need based moves. This cat is Good.

I would love JJ. I hope it happens. I really think its between us and him playing with his brothers

Draft wise. I'm a fan. I love Browning but really would loke to see the board bc I'm so weird on an off ball backer. .... Unless its parson

Radunz is so gb development type player. He fits.

The bobby Brown pick unless hes giving the effort the real one gave in 88 I'm leery. No motor type guys bug the F out of me

Hill was a guy I loved until sr bowl week. Dude looked bad and has red flags off the field. His on field is the same feeling I had with Josh Jackson. Not good.

I can dig the rest. Awesome group and work overall. I will say the pack do add 2 pretty big pieces and its the 2 you have or Samuel!!!!!!!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Who is the subject of your poll?

Jim Leonard would be great but MLF might want a DC with a different defensive philosophy.

I too seriously doubt we can sign JJ unless he takes a "hometown" discount.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I appreciate the thoughtfulness of the entire process. Just seeing this shows how much flexibility we have even in the worst case cap scenario. Having said that, and seen this, I still prefer not to tinker much with Aaron's contract. Don't sign Watt, don't sign Linsley, don't sign Jackson... if any one of those is omitted, then we really could roll with all the other moves and let Aaron's deal sit which will be a really, really good thing down the road. Or if we truly are going all in, F it, do it. Ted showed you really can fix the cap in one season, so whenever Aaron is done, suffer through one year and then start rebuilding the team around a new QB.

Read More. Post Less.