Pettine out - New DC is Joe Barry

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think Leonard is making a mistake, obviously he could have many reasons, but he has done so well in such a short amount of time, the next step is a NFL cord job, succeed, and the next step is NFL head coach job, to me he balked at taking the next step, not a good thing on his coaching resume.

heck we don't even no for sure that Leonard was our #1 choice yet, he simply turned us down in case he would be, on to Evero.

scratch that, we did offer him the job.

cripes we loss the NFCCG, now we lose out on a coaching choice, if we lose out a third time, everyone will start calling us losers :thwap:
Last edited by Yoop on 06 Feb 2021 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:05
heck we don't even no for sure that Leonard was our #1 choice yet, he simply turned us down in case he would be, on to Evero.
Oates tweets have made it pretty clear that he was indeed offered the job.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Also, I gotta say... Leonhard knew he preferred to stay in Wisconsin before he ever even spoke with LaFleur. So way did it drag out?

Hmmm...

$$$

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:06
Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:05
Oates tweets have made it pretty clear that he was indeed offered the job.
ya, I just saw that

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:09
Also, I gotta say... Leonhard knew he preferred to stay in Wisconsin before he ever even spoke with LaFleur. So way did it drag out?

Hmmm...

$$$
glad you said it, not me, this will really stink if we low balled him as we did with that ST's coach we lost out on

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:18
NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:09

Hmmm...

$$$
glad you said it, not me, this will really stink if we low balled him as we did with that ST's coach we lost out on
Just a hunch and probably some bitterness on my part being strung out by this search, but I wouldn't doubt it if the money didn't line up with what it would take to make him jump.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:01
NCF wrote:
05 Feb 2021 12:34
Going back to this tweet from the other day...

I kind of hope we end up with the mystery candidate.
Its hard to not choose the mystery box.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Oates' full story on Leonhard.
https://madison.com/sports/college/foot ... ium=social

the only thing different in the story from the tweets is this quote.
"It was very real," Leonhard said Saturday morning. "I was about out the door."
Last edited by paco on 06 Feb 2021 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
RIP JustJeff

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I think Leonard is making a mistake because he is not doing what I want him to do.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:48
I think Leonard is making a mistake because he is not doing what I want him to do.
Yep. Christ I really hate Packers fans. A ton of this out there right now. Yes, it is ok to be interested in a job, get offered said job, and then turn it down. Yes it is ok to not want to move to the "highest level" of your profession. No, it isn't always about money (Yes, a lot or most of the time it is).

I'm happy and jealous for Leonhard that he is able to make this kind of decision. Wish I was in a position to love my job so much, that I can turn down an opportunity that I know I may love almost as much.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

paco wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:55
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:48
Yep. Christ I really hate Packers fans. A ton of this out there right now. Yes, it is ok to be interested in a job, get offered said job, and then turn it down. Yes it is ok to not want to move to the "highest level" of your profession. No, it isn't always about money (Yes, a lot or most of the time it is).

I'm happy and jealous for Leonhard that he is able to make this kind of decision. Wish I was in a position to love my job so much, that I can turn down an opportunity that I know I may love almost as much.
I was serious.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Well it gives me great comfort knowing the last coordinator who turned down our offer led to us hiring Shawn Meninga as coordinator instead.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

So, let's dig into our other front runner a little more. In the video below he mentions his coaching best friend... Nathaniel Hackett. How did we miss this?

Nice "get to know you" vid: https://www.49ers.com/video/coach-em-up ... ro-7019156

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

next for me is Evero or Gray, Gray has a 43 back ground, but nobody uses a ton of base any more, and Evero tutored under some great 34 coaches, both I think could do a great job.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I'm not super surprised he turned us down. College coaching is a way better career choice.

It would have taken a REALLY sweet deal to lure him away. I can understand not wanting to break the piggy bank for him; I get that coaches are not a Cap issue, but still, this would be a 1st-time NFL D-Coord we're talking about. 'Still pissed about Rizzi, but not this (if $ was the issue).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I said last night to a buddy that I would be excited for either Leohnard or Evero.

The last time we did a search I wanted Fangio. Evero has a lot of defensive principals from a lot of greats. I think Leonhard's personality, principals of coaching and teaching and aggression is what made me love Leonhard more but I can't say Evero doesn't have those things.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Get ready for everyone to be pissed.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
06 Feb 2021 10:56
Get ready for everyone to be pissed.
Yeah, that would make me pretty not happy.

Leonhard
Evero
Mystery Candidate

Barry

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Here is a resume of Joe Barry.

I mean who doesn't get excited for someone's best year as DC being 17th in the league?
With the new defensive coordinator search well underway in Las Vegas, it’s a good time to take a deeper dive into the candidates up for the defensive coordinator job for the Raiders.

Today we take a look at yet another top contender for the job, Rams assistant coach Joe Barry.

Barry’s coaching career dates back all the way to 2000 when he served as the 49er’s quality control coach.

From 2001 to 2006, he served as the Buccaneers linebacker’s coach. He worked under then Bucs head coach Jon Gruden to win the Super Bowl XXXVII with Gruden.

Then in 2007, he was hired as the Lions defensive coordinator. The Lions owned a 7-9 record in 2007 while in 2008, they went winless. Both seasons, the defense led by Barry was ranked last in the league for both points and yards allowed. He served under current Raiders interim defensive coordinator/defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, as Marinelli was the head coach of the Lions at the time.

From there, Barry spent a single season in Tampa Bay as their linebackers’ coach before becoming the Chargers linebackers coach from 2011 to 2014.

During the 2015 and 2016 seasons, he served as Washington’s defensive coordinator. Barry’s defense was ranked 28th in yards allowed for both seasons while it was a slightly better 17th and 19th in points allowed respectively.

In Washington, Barry ran an odd front system with varied coverages. According to Pro Football Focus, he used Cover 3 just over 22 percent of the time, Cover 1 just under 20 percent of the time, Cover 2 under 10 percent of the time and Cover 4 under four percent of the time. Barry also ran a blitz rate of 28 percent which was 19th in the NFL at the time.

Barry’s most recent defensive coordinator tenure shows that he brings variety to the position, an opportunity to change the status quo in Las Vegas.

Additionally, Barry runs a 3-4 defense unlike the 4-3 defense the Raiders have run. Gruden prefers the 4-3 and we’ll see if that has any impact on the decision making.

As for his latest job, since 2017, Barry has served as the assistant head coach/linebackers coach for the Rams.

While Barry has experience in the league, his track record running defense is mediocre at best. Just like Kris Richard, he may be well suited as an assistant coach instead of the defensive coordinator.

We’ll see what the Raiders decide.
Yoop wrote: