Pettine out - New DC is Joe Barry

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I wanted to look a bit at the defenses Barry had with Detroit (07-08) and Washington (15-16). Here's what he had to work with for starters on defense.

He had a bit more in Washington, which is why you saw more average numbers. But can you blame him for having the 32nd ranked defense in Detroit with those groups?

Detroit 07
image.png
image.png (8.92 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Detroit 08
image.png
image.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Washington 15
image.png
image.png (9.36 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Washington 16
image.png
image.png (9.15 KiB) Viewed 541 times
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:48
I think Leonard is making a mistake because he is not doing what I want him to do.
Haha! Hit the nail on the head!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The positive thing about Staley is he at least asked Barry to come with him as Passing Coordinator so there was a minor promotion already given to Barry.

Wonder why Barry wasn't given the DC nod though for LAC.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Well, LaFleur's record as OC was also quite underwhelming. Still, I think I would sooner choose Mystery Box (Nielsen?).

Please at least interview Foote and Rodgers before making that hire, though.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Don't care who they pick; I just want a DC who can get guys on the same page and bring some "aggressivity". That means stop the run, press the receivers when appropriate, and attack the O's weaknesses.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
06 Feb 2021 12:02
Don't care who they pick; I just want a DC who can get guys on the same page and bring some "aggressivity". That means stop the run, press the receivers when appropriate, and attack the O's weaknesses.
So you do care who they pick. ;)
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

To !@#$ you all off more.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

surely someone has some sort of embarrassing information that we could use to convince Jim to change his mind, or how about a go fund me account to raise enough money to send one of his kids to med school, if that doesn't work theres always kidnap and torture, cripes he already had a foot out the door, no thanks is not a acceptable answer :swear:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Firing Pettine was only a good move if we upgraded with the new hire. Not sure that’s going to happen.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
06 Feb 2021 14:35
Firing Pettine was only a good move if we upgraded with the new hire. Not sure that’s going to happen.
No one is ever sure that's going to happen.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We don't even have a DC hired yet and doom and gloom is already being thrown around. I would say I am surprised, but I am not...

LaFleur wants to get aggressive on defense, we know this. I doubt he will hire a guy who isn't.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:09
Also, I gotta say... Leonhard knew he preferred to stay in Wisconsin before he ever even spoke with LaFleur. So way did it drag out?

Hmmm...

$$$
How could you know that?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

williewasgreat wrote:
06 Feb 2021 15:33
NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:09
Also, I gotta say... Leonhard knew he preferred to stay in Wisconsin before he ever even spoke with LaFleur. So way did it drag out?

Hmmm...

$$$
How could you know that?
I couldn't. But many of these decisions are based on money and the Packers have reportedly been a little frugal in the past when it comes to paying assistant coaches.

And, admittedly, as I said on the last page, a little bitterness:
NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2021 09:27
Just a hunch and probably some bitterness on my part being strung out by this search, but I wouldn't doubt it if the money didn't line up with what it would take to make him jump.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Adding this here to keep other thread clean to just talk Barry.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Mystery candidate.

Read More. Post Less.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Feb 2021 15:20
We don't even have a DC hired yet and doom and gloom is already being thrown around. I would say I am surprised, but I am not...

LaFleur wants to get aggressive on defense, we know this. I doubt he will hire a guy who isn't.
You think its bad here dont look other places OMFG there are some really miserable people in this world.

Many are flipping we dont have the talent to run this system. Lol

Speaking of system it looks like maybe close to what the rams run with more wrinkles. I'm all for going to a 4-3 base. Imo just a few pieces needed to transition.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
06 Feb 2021 17:40
Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Feb 2021 15:20

You think its bad here dont look other places OMFG there are some really miserable people in this world.

Many are flipping we dont have the talent to run this system. Lol

Speaking of system it looks like maybe close to what the rams run with more wrinkles. I'm all for going to a 4-3 base. Imo just a few pieces needed to transition.
I have no doubt. When Jim Leonhard declined that left a hole for many and they are so miserable they have to bitch even though they know nothing about my "cousin" Joe Barry.

Talent is not lacking on this defense, that's for sure.

I really don't think base 3-4 or base 4-3 mattes much at all any more. It's more your philosophy on Edge rushers and linebackers that would be the difference. 75%+ of the time teams aren't in base anyway. I wonder if we will prioritize ILB more under Barry.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think Jim Leohnard was a lot easier to get excited about. I don't think prior history means much in terms of success as we had coaches in MLF and MM who did not have much success at their places and came here and were great.

I think the biggest thing I am not in love with is the very fact it seems like Joe Barry is the 2nd choice and that sucks. I also can't help but remember than Shawn Menenga was our 2nd choice.

I really just want the mentality of our defense to be aggressive and attacking. I know that is what MLF really wanted and honestly when I watched Leohnard, I loved that about him in his interviews. I haven't watched Joe Barry but I am having the trust that Matt feels Barry is going to implement a defense where 11 hats are on the ball and they are there to dictate the game rather than be dictated.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

imagine that, fans have a preference when it comes to replacing Petine, I wanted Leonard and I make no bones about it, I researched all these coaches and he was my preference, Barry was way down my list, the average salary for NFL DC is about 850,000 , Leonard Made 1.3 mil. at WI, unless we offered him that why would he come, Barry's defenses have sucked, hopefully it was do to lack of talent, to think Fans should just accept everything the FO does is silly, where not sheep, hopefully Lafluer made a good choice

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2021 18:47
imagine that, fans have a preference when it comes to replacing Petine, I wanted Leonard and I make no bones about it, I researched all these coaches and he was my preference, Barry was way down my list, the average salary for NFL DC is about 850,000 , Leonard Made 1.3 mil. at WI, unless we offered him that why would he come, Barry's defenses have sucked, hopefully it was do to lack of talent, to think Fans should just accept everything the FO does is silly, where not sheep, hopefully Lafluer made a good choice
Yeah. I think a lot of us wanted Leohnard.

But I also find it ridiculous to try and judge positions we virtually have no information about such as coaching and front office hires. These are positions we just never will know. The only thing we can really get is if we "like them in press conferences"

Players are a lot easier to judge as fans because we at least have more information on players.

Coaches are just a crap shoot honestly. Whether good or bad.

I will choose to be positive for now. Though admidettly I was really excited for Leonhard.
Yoop wrote: