Aaron Jones Watch

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Feb 2021 18:15
BF004 wrote:
07 Feb 2021 17:50
lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Feb 2021 15:29
I posted in my most recent mock that we tag Jones. I think that makes the most sense. You avoid the long term deal for backs and get him on a very affordable deal.
When you looked at franchise estimate previously, around like $12, that would be silly to do that.
In my mock I think I estimated it at 10 which was what OTC had estimated. Thats still an easy move to make. Even at 12 I think you do it.

ITs the long term deal you dont want for RBs. A 1 year deal is the perfect move to be made here.
The problem with double digit cap hit is we have to make serious moves to reduce our current cap to absorb that compared to signing a long term deal you can manipulate a low first year cap hit.

But the lower that Franchise Tag is....the better shot we may be able to do it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I said a long time ago that tagging Jones was the obvious choice. I would feel so much better about this team next year if we get Jones for one more year. My hope is we have Jones and Dillon, and we use them both...alot. Im an old school football guy. I like pounding the rock and bruising opponents. I like dictating terms to opponents instead of only reacting to what a presnap look says to do. I want to become the running team lafleur claims he wants to become.

Dillon and Jones seems like a dream scenario for my vision to be a reality. Tag the guy.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Feb 2021 23:33
I said a long time ago that tagging Jones was the obvious choice. I would feel so much better about this team next year if we get Jones for one more year. My hope is we have Jones and Dillon, and we use them both...alot. Im an old school football guy. I like pounding the rock and bruising opponents. I like dictating terms to opponents instead of only reacting to what a presnap look says to do. I want to become the running team lafleur claims he wants to become.

Dillon and Jones seems like a dream scenario for my vision to be a reality. Tag the guy.
<9M tag is so affordable I'd jump on the opportunity. It's unlikely to find a weapon of comparable impact for cheaper. There are 33 WRs currently making more than that. Jones' versatility is a great scheme fit with what LaFleur likes to do. Jones + Dillon could be a helluva RB combo. There are ways to create cap space for a value move like this.

Jones would not be happy about the tag, but he just got super unlucky with the timing of him becoming a UFA. Biting the bullet and re-entering UFA in 2022 might actually max his earning potential. He's likely to get only one big contract, and next off-season there might be more $$$ to go around...

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

salmar80 wrote:
09 Feb 2021 02:54
Biting the bullet and re-entering UFA in 2022 might actually max his earning potential. He's likely to get only one big contract, and next off-season there might be more $$$ to go around.
This is an important point I hope he and his agent understand going into FA this year. Yeah, he's betting against injury or a down year this coming year but the long bet has much greater payoff IMO.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
09 Feb 2021 06:38
salmar80 wrote:
Biting the bullet and re-entering UFA in 2022 might actually max his earning potential. He's likely to get only one big contract, and next off-season there might be more $$$ to go around.
This is an important point I hope he and his agent understand going into FA this year. Yeah, he's betting against injury or a down year this coming year but the long bet has much greater payoff IMO.
A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. It’s always safer to get paid now so I expect them to work their hardest to get a big deal now.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Feb 2021 15:22
APB wrote:
09 Feb 2021 06:38
salmar80 wrote:
A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. It’s always safer to get paid now so I expect them to work their hardest to get a big deal now.
agree, with a down year for FA dollars, plus adding another year to the normal short career of RB's I'd think Jones would rather take a little less money for a 3 yr deal then 9 mil. on a 1 yr tag, if so, that would seem like a good deal for both.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
07 Feb 2021 18:20
Yeah I think $8.5 million does make sense. I think you also try and sign Jones after that with the advantage of being able to spread cap over future years when it likely goes up.

But Jones is a playmaker and one that we should make every effort to keep.
I agree, and just because you tag a player doesn't mean you can't work out a long term deal in the meantime.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Christo wrote:
09 Feb 2021 17:57
go pak go wrote:
Yeah I think $8.5 million does make sense. I think you also try and sign Jones after that with the advantage of being able to spread cap over future years when it likely goes up.

I agree, and just because you tag a player doesn't mean you can't work out a long term deal in the meantime.
Meh. Dont sign backs to long term deals. It’s backfired way too many times now to risk it.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Feb 2021 19:13
Christo wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Meh. Dont sign backs to long term deals. It’s backfired way too many times now to risk it.
The only real risk is guarantied money, and it seem like the Packers aren't offering all that much.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Christo wrote:
09 Feb 2021 19:38
lupedafiasco wrote:
Christo wrote:

The only real risk is guarantied money, and it seem like the Packers aren't offering all that much.
Yeah and Jones isn’t going to take a deal without the guarantees. There are teams with cap space and in need of RBs. The Redskins come to mind. Better off tagging him for 8.5 and force him to play hard another year. It’s all business.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

No.

We can find RB in the draft or as a UDFA.

Maybe even one who doesn't fumble.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
10 Feb 2021 09:05
No.

That one fumble right after the half was a killer but Jones got blasted so fiercely he never returned to the game. I was upset at the time but after cooling off I don't "blame" him for coughing it up. When a player gets hurt like that the natural thing for one to do is self preservation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
10 Feb 2021 09:25
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
10 Feb 2021 09:05
No.

That one fumble right after the half was a killer but Jones got blasted so fiercely he never returned to the game. I was upset at the time but after cooling off I don't "blame" him for coughing it up. When a player gets hurt like that the natural thing for one to do is self preservation.
Yeah the fumble was costly but it was more a better play on the defender. Whitehead smacked the living daylights out of Jones twice that game. That dudes a hitter.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
10 Feb 2021 09:02
Christo wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Yeah and Jones isn’t going to take a deal without the guarantees. There are teams with cap space and in need of RBs. The Redskins come to mind. Better off tagging him for 8.5 and force him to play hard another year. It’s all business.
Only two kinds of deals make sense for Jones at this point: A long term deal with large guarantees (preferred), or a one-year tag or deal with a chance at that monster deal next off-season (risky, but potentially big payoff). There's no way he takes any multi-year deal with low guarantees.

I doubt the Packers are willing to give a RB the kind of of long deal he's looking for, but the tag makes so much sense. I hope Jones won't riot if we do that.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

James White just turned 29 and has had a mediocre career. He probably has interest in signing with anyone.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

3rd down back
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
10 Feb 2021 10:34
lupedafiasco wrote:
10 Feb 2021 09:02
Christo wrote:

Only two kinds of deals make sense for Jones at this point: A long term deal with large guarantees (preferred), or a one-year tag or deal with a chance at that monster deal next off-season (risky, but potentially big payoff). There's no way he takes any multi-year deal with low guarantees.

I doubt the Packers are willing to give a RB the kind of of long deal he's looking for, but the tag makes so much sense. I hope Jones won't riot if we do that.
ya have to wonder, it'll take a couple seasons for teams to recover from this season, meaning contracts for RB's could still be low next year, could be possible to do a more affordable contract for Jones now, if tag money is 8.5 maybe he'll accept 3 yrs for 27 depending on how the deal is worded, it's hard to find a impact player as good for less unless ya strike gold with a draft pick, I may be wrong, but I think this is whats going to happen.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Feb 2021 15:14
James White just turned 29 and has had a mediocre career. He probably has interest in signing with anyone.
For his career he averages 4 yards per carry and 8.6 yards per catch. It is hard to assess 2020 - yeah, he's older, but the Pats legitimately sucked on OFF.

I can't imagine he's offered more than vet minimum.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
12 Feb 2021 15:43
lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Feb 2021 15:14
For his career he averages 4 yards per carry and 8.6 yards per catch. It is hard to assess 2020 - yeah, he's older, but the Pats legitimately sucked on OFF.

I can't imagine he's offered more than vet minimum.
That's perfect for our pocket book.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.