Packers Salary Cap

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Throwing this out there as reference.
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

You could clear a good chunk of not all of it by some restructuring. If you restructure guys you know you’re keeping for the length of their deals like Rodgers, Z, Amos, Adams, maybe even Bak even though he just got a deal you can shuffle that money back a bit. It’s be a problem for another day I think the Packers would like to avoid but if you draft a little better and start getting more from your draft picks and easily maneuverable. Just need to stop using poor resource management ie; drafting a 3rd string QB who will never see the field, paying two big time pass rushers and then drafting one with the 12th overall pick to come off the bench.

Stop doing dumb &%$@ like that and the team is a little easier to maintain.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
10 Feb 2021 10:05
You could clear a good chunk of not all of it by some restructuring. If you restructure guys you know you’re keeping for the length of their deals like Rodgers, Z, Amos, Adams, maybe even Bak even though he just got a deal you can shuffle that money back a bit. It’s be a problem for another day I think the Packers would like to avoid but if you draft a little better and start getting more from your draft picks and easily maneuverable. Just need to stop using poor resource management ie; drafting a 3rd string QB who will never see the field, paying two big time pass rushers and then drafting one with the 12th overall pick to come off the bench.

Stop doing dumb &%$@ like that and the team is a little easier to maintain.
I think the bigger thing honestly is if the players show up when it's important and don't play their worst game of the season in January and actually capitalize on a roster that was built to win a Super Bowl.

Restructuring is fine. But restructuring will absolutely put a time clock on this window to where Rodgers and Co. probably have 1 maybe 2 years at winning the thing unless we just, as you said, strike it gold on a draft pick or two from '20, and '21/'22.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

drafting a 3rd string QB who will never see the field, paying two big time pass rushers and then drafting one with the 12th overall pick to come off the bench.
This is bordering on "he who shall not be named" territory now, bring this into almost every thread... Also bordering on "he who shall not be named" territory with the constant inaccuracies.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

There is +70 million to be had in cap reduction for 2021. It depends on how far the cap can gets kicked down the road and what the philosophy is regarding Rodgers and the next 3 to 5 years.

P Smith = 12 million, June 1 release

Bak = 8 million, restructure

Rodgers = 21 million, restructure, but creates long term issues

Kirksey = 5.5 million, release

Zad Smith = 15 million, restructure, creates long term issues

Lowry = 5 million, release June 1

Funchess and Jackson = 2 million, release

Adams and Amos = extend, kick cap can down the road

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So what are we honestly looking at here?

Is our choice to basically take our medicine for 2021 or completely defer, try and keep some semblance of the 2020 roster and hope we hit on a draft pick for a shot at the ring in 21 and 22 and then just implode in 2023?

I mean honestly. If we take a realistic view of the Green Bay Packers and our situation, is that what we are looking at? I mean we used to laugh at teams all the time who were $10 to $20 million under the cap.

We are double that. And I know other teams are in this same spot too, but we are definitely bottom 5. And most of the other teams are entering a rebuild situation whereas we are trying to get 2 to 3 last gasps at a ring.

I just think this offseason would have been a hell of a lot easier if we had just ended with the 32nd pick rather than the 29th or 31st pick. Because then it would be easier to use 21 as a soft rebuild year, get like 4 to 5 comp picks in 2022 and go for it again in 22 and 23.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
11 Feb 2021 07:07

Is our choice to basically take our medicine for 2021 or completely defer, try and keep some semblance of the 2020 roster and hope we hit on a draft pick for a shot at the ring in 21 and 22 and then just implode in 2023?

I mean honestly. If we take a realistic view of the Green Bay Packers and our situation, is that what we are looking at? I mean we used to laugh at teams all the time who were $10 to $20 million under the cap.

We are double that. And I know other teams are in this same spot too, but we are definitely bottom 5. And most of the other teams are entering a rebuild situation whereas we are trying to get 2 to 3 last gasps at a ring.

I just think this offseason would have been a hell of a lot easier if we had just ended with the 32nd pick rather than the 29th or 31st pick. Because then it would be easier to use 21 as a soft rebuild year, get like 4 to 5 comp picks in 2022 and go for it again in 22 and 23.
well I'd have to think we'll do what Gutekunst said he intends to do at the season ending presser, which was to create financial room to be active in FA and also keep as much of the present team as he is able to, to me that doesn't include selling out completely so as we are in complete rebuilding mode in 2 or 3 years or when Rodgers retires, he didn't trade a 1st and a 4th to move up for Love to insert him at that time on a depleted team with zipo talent to support that transition, that wouldn't make any sense to me, but then a lot of stuff these days don't, I think I'am in a minority lol.

I can see Gute going after a another seasoned ILB or a high draft pick, same with CB, with switching to more zone Jackson should be a better frit, same with King, the other position that could be up graded is obviously DL.

with offense there are multiple positions in need of upgrade, OT, OG, OC, oh hell the whole dang OL :lol: the dancing bears aren't doing the two step as well any longer, obviously if we lose Jones we'll need a replacement, if we also lose Williams we'll need two, I saved receiver for last, but I think thats probably the easiest fix, we need a kick and punt returner that can also handle motion and slot receiver duty, Ervin would be a cheap resign, but we need better depth then Austin was able to provide, so we should spend a draft pick at some point for one, there to expensive to buy in FA.

I'am very excited for Barry, the more I read, the more I like, I think we'll use a lot of the Vic Fangio scheme which are not so much a change of personal, just how there used, I think switching to more zone, and 2 high safety will help for lesser talent to be better, Lafluer sounds as though he knows what he wants and thats based on the stuff Fangio became popular doing.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
11 Feb 2021 07:07

Lots of tough calls to be made. But overall they have the most important positions locked up. They have a QB, LT, CB, DT, WR a up and coming TE in Tonyan same can be said for Dillion. So they have a core to compete with. This coming draft is going to add more. And when they do get under the cap, they are going to have some really cheap priced free agents to add to the roster.
The Packers aren't the only team that's going to make June 1st cuts. The goal is to win your division and anything can happen after that. It's not the end of the world.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So basically the thought is we are going all in for '21 and '22 and likely blow it up in '23 because we won't have a choice.

I mean maybe the cap will just skyrocket in '22/'23 to where we can still skate by, but clearing $40 million, even with restructuring is no small task.

Andrew Brandt said it. And I have to agree with him. Jordan Love is our future quarterback. You don't do what the Packers did to make him trade bait. You do what the Packers did because you are going to hand him the keys.

That means if we are honest with ourselves, our timeline is probably 2 more shots with Rodgers and then we are blowing it up and starting over.

Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
11 Feb 2021 10:44
So basically the thought is we are going all in for '21 and '22 and likely blow it up in '23 because we won't have a choice.

I mean maybe the cap will just skyrocket in '22/'23 to where we can still skate by, but clearing $40 million, even with restructuring is no small task.

Andrew Brandt said it. And I have to agree with him. Jordan Love is our future quarterback. You don't do what the Packers did to make him trade bait. You do what the Packers did because you are going to hand him the keys.

That means if we are honest with ourselves, our timeline is probably 2 more shots with Rodgers and then we are blowing it up and starting over.

well I don't get that feeling listening to Andre Brandt, think about it, we edon't have a history as a team of putting all our eggs in a two year basket except for the Devine era, we didn't sell out to prolong Favre's ability, and I just have a hard time we'll see it now with Rodgers, as Gute hinted, we'll do everything we can to help him till we decide to install Love, then we'll continue to do our best to help him, I don't know where you see this blowing all up stuff.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
11 Feb 2021 11:08
we didn't sell out to prolong Favre's ability
We never had the chance to. He flirted with retirement too hard. Never committed to the '06 or '07 Packers until well into the offseason process. By the time they realized that McCarthy had this team going in the right direction and they could have made an all-in push for 2008, he "retired".

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ok, before we go all bat &%$@ crazy over the cap, let's get some facts out of the way.

Right now we have a top 51 contract number of: $210,247,369
We have a cap roll-over of: $3,748,893
We have a dead cap number of: $353,141

So we are looking at a hit of: $206,851,617

We should have about a $4 million net draft cost, give or take a million.

That means we will effectively have a cap hit of $210,851,617 for 2021

Now here comes some speculation. There is no way with the bargaining chips on the table and 15 out of 32 teams not having a dollar to spend in free agency (if the cap drops to $185M), that the cap will be allowed to drop for 2021. At the very least they will figure out a way to keep it at $198.2 million.

That said we need to find about $11 million in space just to make it under the speculated 2021 cap.

Cut Preston Smith and we are there at $12 million post 6/1. However that will not open up all of that money before we need to be under the cap so we need to make another move. Cut Christian Kirksey to save $5,609,375. Restructure David Bakhtiari to save $8.3 million.

If we make those THREE moves we will save $25,909,375. That will mean we even have an extra $14,909,375 to play with. Tag or resign Aaron Jones or resign Corey Linsley.

Some other smart and easy moves: Extend Zadarius Smith and possibly save $8 million at the least. Extend Adrian Amos and save $4-5 million. Extend Davante Adams and save somewhere around $8 million.

This dire cap talk is over the top.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
11 Feb 2021 05:37
There is +70 million to be had in cap reduction for 2021. It depends on how far the cap can gets kicked down the road and what the philosophy is regarding Rodgers and the next 3 to 5 years.

P Smith = 12 million, June 1 release

Bak = 8 million, restructure

Rodgers = 21 million, restructure, but creates long term issues

Kirksey = 5.5 million, release

Zad Smith = 15 million, restructure, creates long term issues

Lowry = 5 million, release June 1

Funchess and Jackson = 2 million, release

Adams and Amos = extend, kick cap can down the road
P. Smith. Do it. + 12 mil
Bak No way
Rodgers No Way
Kirksey Do it + 5.5
Z Smith No Way
Funches and Jackson Do it + 2 mil
Lowry. There is a problem here. He is better than Lancaster and Adams. Keke would get run over if he is asked to play the run. Maybe they could restructure him and save a million, nothing else makes sense. Unless some really good DLineman drops to them in the first round, Lowry will be back and not making much less than his present salary.

And someone you did not mention. Billy Turner. He was a turnstyle as a guard 2 seasons ago and though he improved last season as a guard, he proved vs the Bucs once again that he cannot play OT. Runyan is a better option at RG and either OT. Stepaniak is likely to be a better guard. Lane Taylor is a better guard. Turner is an overpaid below average Olineman at every position he has ever tried to play. Cut him and save 6.4 mil.

Total savings: $26 mil. Resign Linsley and tag Jones.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Somewhere in this thread I raised the issue of tendering our RFA's. I think Tonyan is the priority, so there is another $3M, but I made the position that I don't know that there is anyone else worth tendering when each one is going to cost $2.2M+ per pop. I would rather let some of those guys walk and be aggressive in FA and sign a guy like Allen Robinson to a deal with a low Year 1 cap hit (I can dream). Those tenders could be bitches, though, depending on how they really need to have back. Boyle, Greene, and Lancaster are a few of the bigger ones.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
11 Feb 2021 12:02
Bak No way
Yes way. They essentially wrote his contract the way they did so that they could do this. It is already planned and will happen.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
11 Feb 2021 12:07
TheSkeptic wrote:
Bak No way
Yes way. They essentially wrote his contract the way they did so that they could do this. It is already planned and will happen.
Why would Bak agree to this? They have no leverage over him that I can see.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
11 Feb 2021 12:10
NCF wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Bak No way
He gets that money upfront even before roster bonuses are awarded. Why wouldn't he agree to it?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

TheSkeptic wrote:
NCF wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Bak No way
Why would Bak agree to this? They have no leverage over him that I can see. I agree with you on Tonyan, they cannot take a chance on losing him. If they lose any of the others it is not a big deal. Lancaster matters if they indeed are thinking about cutting Lowry, but why not pay Lancaster veteran's minimum instead?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Feb 2021 12:14
TheSkeptic wrote:
NCF wrote:

He gets that money upfront even before roster bonuses are awarded. Why wouldn't he agree to it?
I guess I don't understand. He gets 11.1 in his bank account next month either way?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
11 Feb 2021 12:20
I guess I don't understand. He gets 11.1 in his bank account next month either way?
That's exactly why he doesn't care one way or another. It's essentially a deferred signing bonus.

Read More. Post Less.