Packers Salary Cap

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

You are correct, roster bonus will be paid next month regardless. Base Salary could be turned into guarantees to lump with the roster bonus into a signing bonus.

Why wouldn't he want to help the team out and get paid more in March than he would have originally?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
11 Feb 2021 11:08
well I don't get that feeling listening to Andre Brandt, think about it, we edon't have a history as a team of putting all our eggs in a two year basket except for the Devine era, we didn't sell out to prolong Favre's ability, and I just have a hard time we'll see it now with Rodgers, as Gute hinted, we'll do everything we can to help him till we decide to install Love, then we'll continue to do our best to help him, I don't know where you see this blowing all up stuff.
Honestly yoop, we already have sold out. I would view our cap situation as "selling out" already if it means we just keep our current team and players who are already under contract. Deferring $20 to $30 million into later years of players's contracts who are already in later years of their deal (except Bak) is going all in.

The reality is if we decide to defer some cap space, we are likely going to have a "come to Jesus" moment in 2023 which is likely when we make the switch from Rodgers to Love. And that will probably be the year we expense or recognize a lot of the cap we had deferred up to that point.

That's kind of my what I'm seeing anyways. I mean I know the cap thing gets tricky because it expands etc. in later years. But contracts will also expand with it. It just seems apparent to me that if we are going this route to keep our roster in tact, it means we are going for it and can likely expect a rebuil after 2022 and center the new Packers era around Love, Adams, Alexander, Gary, Savage, Clark and Dillon. (among others at that point)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
11 Feb 2021 12:10
NCF wrote:
11 Feb 2021 12:07
TheSkeptic wrote:
11 Feb 2021 12:02
Bak No way
Yes way. They essentially wrote his contract the way they did so that they could do this. It is already planned and will happen.
Why would Bak agree to this? They have no leverage over him that I can see.
well Bak went and got himself hurt right when we needed him most, and probably wont play for the first 4 to 6 games next year, I'd think he'd try and help the team any way he can, it's not as though he wont eventually get this money, same with some of our other vets, all should be willing to stretch there contracts in order to improve this team.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
11 Feb 2021 12:30
Yoop wrote:
11 Feb 2021 11:08
well I don't get that feeling listening to Andre Brandt, think about it, we edon't have a history as a team of putting all our eggs in a two year basket except for the Devine era, we didn't sell out to prolong Favre's ability, and I just have a hard time we'll see it now with Rodgers, as Gute hinted, we'll do everything we can to help him till we decide to install Love, then we'll continue to do our best to help him, I don't know where you see this blowing all up stuff.
Honestly yoop, we already have sold out. I would view our cap situation as "selling out" already if it means we just keep our current team and players who are already under contract. Deferring $20 to $30 million into later years of players's contracts who are already in later years of their deal (except Bak) is going all in.

The reality is if we decide to defer some cap space, we are likely going to have a "come to Jesus" moment in 2023 which is likely when we make the switch from Rodgers to Love. And that will probably be the year we expense or recognize a lot of the cap we had deferred up to that point.

That's kind of my what I'm seeing anyways. I mean I know the cap thing gets tricky because it expands etc. in later years. But contracts will also expand with it. It just seems apparent to me that if we are going this route to keep our roster in tact, it means we are going for it and can likely expect a rebuil after 2022 and center the new Packers era around Love, Adams, Alexander, Gary, Savage, Clark and Dillon. (among others at that point)
I expect the cap will jump with TV revenue increases about that time and we'll be able to pay down the back loading, I guess how you define BLOWN UP is the question, to me it means selling off talent to pay past debt, and while we may see some of that ( we always do, sorta) I don't see a mas exodus on the horizon as we have with some other teams in the past, the closest we've come to anything like that was when Ted took over and auctioned off the Guards, It'll be interesting how this unfolds.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:

I am entirely sure why we need to do these things you are suggesting, like defer $30 million into later years? Or even why that would be such a terrible thing in the case of restructuring Bakhtiari or resigning Amos and Adams and Z. Smith.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Feb 2021 12:52
go pak go wrote:

I am entirely sure why we need to do these things you are suggesting, like defer $30 million into later years? Or even why that would be such a terrible thing in the case of restructuring Bakhtiari or resigning Amos and Adams and Z. Smith.
Let me ask you this. How can we get away with not doing it? I'm just a simple CPA and CMA. I probably know numbers more than others but I won't pretend I know the whole story. But by March 17...serious cap alterations have to be made. That we do know. And that is either:

1) - the cap is larger than the $180 - $185 million that we have been hearing.
2) - we defer comp through restructure of Rodgers, Bak, Z, Adams, etc.
3) - we cut

And we still haven't addressed keeping players no longer on 2021 contract like Linsley, Jones or King or any other UFA/released player we would like to get.

Is restructuring terrible? No. Until we see the large cap hits in '23/'24 that may likely force our hand. All of that is hard to get too much into unless we see more specifics of how far down we defer and how much we try and smooth cap expenses.

I am not saying this as a doomer and gloomer. But there is nothing wrong with pointing our situation and what it will mean 2021 - 2024
image.png
image.png (137.79 KiB) Viewed 747 times
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If we cut Kirskey and P. Smith, we would be below a flat cap. That's why we get away with not doing what you believe we have to.

Restructuring Bakhtiari isn't pushing some massive number into future years. It adds something like $3-5 Million for the next 4 years.

Resigning Davante Adams or Adrian Amos or Zadarius Smith both locks VERY good players up longer and saves cap space this year.

Look into the future, sure, but I think your future is needlessly bleak.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Don't worry too much about 2024 with only $49 million in contracts or even 2023 with only $89 million in contracts.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
11 Feb 2021 13:48
I'm just a simple CPA and CMA.
waaaaha, nothing simple about any of this, thats why we hired Russ " the capoligist " Ball :lol: he'll get this figured out :lol:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

If there is 1 thing that 2020 should have taught us all, it is to live for now. The future will almost certainly be very different than what we expect. Do it now, for September 2021 and February 2022. Worry about 2023 when/if 2023 arrives in a way that we can even recognize.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
12 Feb 2021 09:55
If there is 1 thing that 2020 should have taught us all, it is to live for now. The future will almost certainly be very different than what we expect. Do it now, for September 2021 and February 2022. Worry about 2023 when/if 2023 arrives in a way that we can even recognize.
I'm Mickey Loomis and I approve this message.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
Oh. I thought the answer was going to be, "if 2020 taught us anything, it's that even when we clearly have the best roster and homefield advantage to go to the SB and win it, we will still lose the NFC Championship game"
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
12 Feb 2021 12:25
TheSkeptic wrote:
Oh. I thought the answer was going to be, "if 2020 taught us anything, it's that even when we clearly have the best roster and homefield advantage to go to the SB and win it, we will still lose the NFC Championship game"
3rd time is a charm

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
inevitably, we are Jekyl and Hyde, Jekyl during the season, and Hide come playoff time, it's probably because we been lacking A JJ Watts, or a similar dominating player on defense, our defense lacks Identity, even though we have some excellent defensive players, sorta been like this since the early years of Mathews, and Woodson, Z and Clark can dominate, but just havn't done so consistently enough.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2021 14:07
go pak go wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
inevitably, we are Jekyl and Hyde, Jekyl during the season, and Hide come playoff time, it's probably because we been lacking A JJ Watts, or a similar dominating player on defense, our defense lacks Identity, even though we have some excellent defensive players, sorta been like this since the early years of Mathews, and Woodson, Z and Clark can dominate, but just havn't done so consistently enough.
Kenny Clark is that guy. Jaire Alexander is that guy. Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews were that guy. Z should be that guy.

We have had plenty of teams with "that guy". It's just that "that guy" didn't step up when they needed to. Just like Adams didn't step up when he needed to. Our rosters have been fine. It's the players not playing to their abilities that haven't been fine.

And it's not like we don't have great defensive performances in our playoff wins. We have had a lot of amazing defensive performances over the years....until we don't. Just like our offense. We have lots of great offensive performances over the years....until we don't.

I mean cripes. The 2020 NFCCG is the best offensive performance the Packers have had out of 6 NFC Title games since 1997. Honestly that is pretty sad.
Yoop wrote:

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

go pak go wrote:
12 Feb 2021 16:35
We have had plenty of teams with "that guy". It's just that "that guy" didn't step up when they needed to
Semantics, perhaps, but then he wasn't that guy in the first place.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Half Empty wrote:
13 Feb 2021 09:52
go pak go wrote:
12 Feb 2021 16:35
We have had plenty of teams with "that guy". It's just that "that guy" didn't step up when they needed to
Semantics, perhaps, but then he wasn't that guy in the first place.
And it very well may be. It very well may be that the top of our roster isn't that guy and these Packers will never win what they want to win.

It happens to a lot of teams. Most teams actually if you don't have Tom Brady. That is simply the story of the NFL since 2001.

The issue is fans don't like admitting that or acknowledging that their heroes didn't step up. It's a lot easier to trash a Kevin King or a Ruvell Martin etc. than it is a Davante Adams, Zadarius Smith, etc.

Personally I believe we have the players to be able to do it. They just didn't.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
13 Feb 2021 17:12