JJ Watt

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

We have the cap room if management wants it. I and others have shown that in the other thread.

If we don't take a run at him I'd find it very disappointing.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Gawd imagine if we had just drafted TJ Watt, would probably be a done deal with JJ.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I would be shocked. As a team already over the cap I can’t imagine us getting a high priced player about to turn 32 who is coming off a really down year in terms of production. He played all 16 games and ended up with only 5 sacks, 14 TFLs, and 17 QB hits. PFF graded him well at 85.

How much of that was motivation issues and maybe being down constantly leading to less opportunities I can’t say. I would be excited if they make the move but times and a lengthy list of injuries is against Watt.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
12 Feb 2021 09:13
I will say, Z is a very talented football player... as was Clay Matthews, but they are not "that guy". Favre had Reggie and we won a Super Bowl. Rodgers had Woodson and we won a Super Bowl. Getting Watt would be that guy, that face of the defense that could get us back again. Also one of those guys that then makes Z and everyone else on defense that much better around him.
So are we just leaving out Julius Peppers and Mercedes Lewis etc. because they weren't on the roster when the team won it?

I mean if we are being real, Clay Matthews had a lot more to do with us winning the SB than Charles Woodson did in a brace on the sideline.

Someone had to tell Pickett to spill it. Someone had to use his helmet to knock the ball out.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
12 Feb 2021 11:10
BF004 wrote:
12 Feb 2021 10:54
NCF wrote:
12 Feb 2021 10:22
Also, being he was released, we can sign Watt and still rack in the comp picks for Linsley, King, and Jones. Could be a nice haul.
Mentioned that part in my last mock. ;)

Funny, cause nearly everyone would have thought trading a 4th for Watt was probably too much 3 months ago, but in the offseason, everyone is like who cares if we don't get that 4th comp pick for Linsley.
Trading a 4th and taking on $17.5M on last year's salary cap. Big difference.
thing is he didn't play much better then P Smith did this year, I'am on the fence with JJ, it would have to be a very team friendly deal, DL play is taxing and he's going into his 11th season??? not sure how much he has left.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

This team could really use the version of JJ Watt that is about 26 years old. This old broken down version? Only if he’s cheap.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I see the value of adding him (a J-Pep signing: still effective, versatility, leadership), but the risks (age + injury history) are significant enough that -- with our cap situation -- we have to make a reasonable valuation and stick with it. No bidding wars.

Yeah, could be a Reggie White for us, but could also be a Joe Johnson (haven't heard THAT name in a while, huh :twisted: ).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Wouldn't Watt be more of the Dean Lowery role than the Preston Smith role? I see him, KC, Keke as the base 3 DL with Z and Gary on the edges.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
12 Feb 2021 11:10
BF004 wrote:
12 Feb 2021 10:54
NCF wrote:
12 Feb 2021 10:22
Also, being he was released, we can sign Watt and still rack in the comp picks for Linsley, King, and Jones. Could be a nice haul.
Mentioned that part in my last mock. ;)

Funny, cause nearly everyone would have thought trading a 4th for Watt was probably too much 3 months ago, but in the offseason, everyone is like who cares if we don't get that 4th comp pick for Linsley.
Trading a 4th and taking on $17.5M on last year's salary cap. Big difference.
Missing the point and wrong information.

My point was people don't seem to care very much about the draft capital (comp pick) when signing an FA, however they do a ton when its in a trade.

And his contract last year was 15.5, all base salary, wasn't even proposing that we should have traded for him, but we would have had to pay him just under 6 million for the last 6 games.

A hefty number perhaps we didn't have without making a corresponding financial move, but I would have been damn excited.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Labrev wrote:
12 Feb 2021 13:05
I see the value of adding him (a J-Pep signing: still effective, versatility, leadership), but the risks (age + injury history) are significant enough that -- with our cap situation -- we have to make a reasonable valuation and stick with it. No bidding wars.

Yeah, could be a Reggie White for us, but could also be a Joe Johnson (haven't heard THAT name in a while, huh :twisted: ).
There are many interesting precedences, both good and bad. I don't think anyone really noticed that Dave Robinson went to the Redskins, or that both Bob "Happiness is Muddin'" Brown #78 and Lionel Aldridge went to the Chargers. If JJ is even a half-step up from any of the guys we've got that don't seem to make many plays ......... then why not give JJ a try as long as we can cut him if necessary ......... assuming that he can pass his physical. Howard Green and Ryan Pickett were around JJ watt's age and they contributed just fine on the 2010 Super Bowl 45 team. Sean Jones and Reggie White were older than 32 during the Super Bowl 31 1996 season.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I want JJ Watt and I want him right now!
Attachments
veruca.jpeg
veruca.jpeg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 377 times

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So if we cut Kirksey, Lowry and Preston, it might make sense to see if we can Watt on a reasonable 3 year deal with a low first year cap hit. And it would be worth it if he still gives us three good years.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
12 Feb 2021 16:15
I want JJ Watt and I want him right now!
And we are going to get exactly what Veruca got.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Feb 2021 12:26
I would be shocked. As a team already over the cap I can’t imagine us getting a high priced player about to turn 32 who is coming off a really down year in terms of production. He played all 16 games and ended up with only 5 sacks, 14 TFLs, and 17 QB hits. PFF graded him well at 85.

How much of that was motivation issues and maybe being down constantly leading to less opportunities I can’t say. I would be excited if they make the move but times and a lengthy list of injuries is against Watt.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So how much do we hate the Kevin King pick now?

We could have Z Smith, R Gary, JJ Watt, TJ Watt, a SB ring, and enough cap savings to sign TJ to an extension.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
12 Feb 2021 19:00
So how much do we hate the Kevin King pick now?

We could have Z Smith, R Gary, JJ Watt, TJ Watt, a SB ring, and enough cap savings to sign TJ to an extension.
Some of us always hated the Kevin King pick.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

This front office has shown no desire to “go for it” or do the (very possible) cap gymnastics it would require to bring in JJ.

I’d be shocked if it happens.

And I’m not even convinced the dollars and gymnastics would be worth it anyways
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean if I'm being perfectly honest, I would rather have Jason Verrett as our "splash" FA move.

I have no idea what he will command though either.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
12 Feb 2021 12:29
NCF wrote:
12 Feb 2021 09:13
I will say, Z is a very talented football player... as was Clay Matthews, but they are not "that guy". Favre had Reggie and we won a Super Bowl. Rodgers had Woodson and we won a Super Bowl. Getting Watt would be that guy, that face of the defense that could get us back again. Also one of those guys that then makes Z and everyone else on defense that much better around him.
So are we just leaving out Julius Peppers and Mercedes Lewis etc. because they weren't on the roster when the team won it?

I mean if we are being real, Clay Matthews had a lot more to do with us winning the SB than Charles Woodson did in a brace on the sideline.

Someone had to tell Pickett to spill it. Someone had to use his helmet to knock the ball out.
Yes, we are leaving those guys out because they didn't win a Super Bowl. My point was you want a guy that is not only a really, really, really, really good football player, but also a transcendent leader and face of the defense. Actually, I think Peppers fits the bill but we just didn't get the job done. Having a guy like this doesn't guarantee you a SB win, but I also do not think it is a coincidence that we did have one the two times we did win. Let me ask you this. Who is the leader of our current defense?

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.