JJ Watt

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

German_Panzer wrote:
14 Feb 2021 07:22
BF004 wrote:
13 Feb 2021 21:43
Yeah, absolutely silly. The guys was a wrecking crew against us this year.
TT would never touch such a guy and I always admired his consequency to stick to a plan. JJ is 30+, shows first signs of deterioration, has plenty of injuries in his past. No brainer not to take him. Those who disagree - that's my claim - are blinded by his reputation and image that usually survives a lot longer as well as by an romantic idea (home boy coming home at last).
Nope. I just would like a still very good player for a couple of years. Which he very much is. I don't think anyone wants to give him a deal we can't get out of in 2 years.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Feb 2021 22:58
go pak go wrote:
13 Feb 2021 08:07
Drj820 wrote:
13 Feb 2021 07:39

But either way...he might have failed at being that guy this year...maybe...but he was brought in and paid to be that guy. You can only pay so many guys to be that guy before you have to wait until they are gone to try again.
No let's call it for what it is. He did fail. We lost and part of that loss can be attributed to generating zero sack or hurry pressure.

Our premium players in 2020 were the following:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Davante Adams
3. Jaire Alexander
4. Aaron Jones
5. David Bakhtiari
6. Kenny Clark
7. Zadarius Smith
8. Corey Linsley

The three players who definitely did not fail and rose to the occasion were Kenny, Jaire and Corey. Aaron Rodgers didn't hurt the team, for the most part, but also didn't make the 1 or 2 extra plays he needed to make. The rest honestly let us down in the NFC title game. David is included because he wasn't available.

No real extra "pieces" would put that group over the top. Maybe not having the liability of Kevin King in the game wouldn't have hurt, but otherwise, you have to have your playmakers and leaders step and make plays in the big games and ours just haven't in the last 10 years.
Oh idk about the first part. He was second team all pro, 4th in sacks, 3rd in forced fumbles. Certainly felt like a locker room leader and on field leader to me most of the year. As for the NFCCG, yeah he came up small...good chance any pass rusher in the league would have. My evidence is that the Saints had a great d all year, and just sacked Brady one time. We sacked Brady one time. Brady was picking apart our defense in the first half by knowing who he was going to throw it to before he even snapped the ball.

“Who is Chandon Sullivan guarding? Okay throw it there”

“Oh Wil Redmon is on the field, okay throw it there.”

“Everyone is covered deep, here you go mr check down option.”

Thats how it was in the first half, in the second the d did fine. But are we really going to say Z isn’t an adequate leader when Kevin king gets beat and Pettine puts him in position to get roasted? We going to blame Z when he has a guy we all know cannot play (redmon) out there before the end of the half who aligator arms an easy INT as if it’s a grenade?

All the above complaints are for the first half.

Overall the defense did its job in this game. Our “historic” offense gave the Bucs the ball back before the half, gave them a red zone drive with the Jones fumble.

Even with all that they only gave up 31 points. It wasn’t a historic defensive leader we needed (even tho I’d love to have one). We needed a historic offensive leader who was willing to tell the coach we need to keep a TE in to help the tackles who are getting smoked, or a qb and coach who would be patient with the run and not panic.

Im ñot really pushing back and saying we don’t have some historic defensive leader on our defense, just saying Zadarius was a second team all pro who is doing his job for us. And I don’t think the loss had much to do with him. The shortcomings in the game were on #20, #33, #17, the two tackles, a small percent the qb, and the coach.

The team desperately needed the defense to step up and allow us to get back in the game in the second half...and they did just that.
I can get behind the alligator arms Redmond. Absolutely. But Brady also primarily only completed passes on 3rd and long on long developing routs down the field. The front pass rush has to own some accountability on that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Reggie was 33 in 1993. Though without the injuries. He was dominant until he "retired" at age 38.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I boiled down what it is I am looking for on defense to an easier question: if we're down by several scores, are our guys going to hang their head on the bench or are they going to start swinging punches at the other team? I want the latter. Some of the enduring images of our at this point numerous NFCCG meltdowns have been our players on the bench with a sort of stoic or shellshocked look on their faces.

So I want to know if JJ is going to be the guy that starts cheap shotting their offensive players after the play is over. If so then welcome aboard.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

texas wrote:
14 Feb 2021 19:43
I boiled down what it is I am looking for on defense to an easier question: if we're down by several scores, are our guys going to hang their head on the bench or are they going to start swinging punches at the other team? I want the latter. Some of the enduring images of our at this point numerous NFCCG meltdowns have been our players on the bench with a sort of stoic or shellshocked look on their faces.

So I want to know if JJ is going to be the guy that starts cheap shotting their offensive players after the play is over. If so then welcome aboard.
No way haha he will use the heartbreak to raise money for charity some how tho. He’s been very good at that. Props to him.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Feb 2021 21:57
texas wrote:

No way haha he will use the heartbreak to raise money for charity some how tho. He’s been very good at that. Props to him.
Meh we have enough "good guys" already

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

German_Panzer wrote:
14 Feb 2021 07:22
BF004 wrote:
13 Feb 2021 21:43
Yeah, absolutely silly. The guys was a wrecking crew against us this year.
TT would never touch such a guy and I always admired his consequency to stick to a plan. JJ is 30+, shows first signs of deterioration, has plenty of injuries in his past. No brainer not to take him. Those who disagree - that's my claim - are blinded by his reputation and image that usually survives a lot longer as well as by an romantic idea (home boy coming home at last).
He definitely did with Woodson and Peppers, even though Ted isn’t our GM and irrelevant to this discussion.

Watt is not DPOY caliber, no one is expecting that and no one is going to pay him that.

When he is heathy and on. He is absolutely still an elite defender, foolish to say otherwise. He is not just reputation and image.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

texas wrote:

You certainly don't need to "cheap shot" players after the play is over to show toughness and aggressiveness. That is a horse$*%! way to play football and proves nothing! While I think the Packers defense is too soft, this method of playing is not at all necessary to be tough.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I think he definitely gives us more options on defense. Assuming Preston is gone, I can see us on passing downs have Watt-Clark-Keke with hands in the dirt, while Z and Gary can move around. Not saying for every passing down but just one more look that we haven't had here in awhile. Plus I think he played like 91% of the defensive snaps last year, so get that down to 65-75% and that makes him more effective. He hasn't played with a guy like KC in a few years so I think he has some good years left in him.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I def think Watt would be a positive to our team. I just think other contenders will be willing to create more cap space and give him a better offer. I don’t see us moving heaven and earth the make it happen.

So we would probably offer something below market value, and just have to hope he really wants to come home to Wisconsin. Which may be possible.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/pac ... gning-watt
GREEN BAY, Wis. – There’s a lot of work to be done financially but the Green Bay Packers are one of the teams interested in signing former Houston Texans All-Pro J.J. Watt.

On Friday, ESPN.com’s Ed Werder reported “approximately a dozen teams have shown interest” in Watt. A league source told Packer Central that Green Bay is one of those teams.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

wallyuwl wrote:
14 Feb 2021 12:52
Reggie was 33 in 1993. Though without the injuries. He was dominant until he "retired" at age 38.
Pure curiosity - why the quotes on retired?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Half Empty wrote:
15 Feb 2021 09:30
wallyuwl wrote:
14 Feb 2021 12:52
Pure curiosity - why the quotes on retired?
Because he came out of retirement to play for the Panthers at age 39
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

As a long shot intangible..........have to believe JJ's potential for easy $$ endorsement deals leans toward Green Bay over other cities. You know.......Johnsonville, a restaurant, a snowblower, maybe Cabela's, a beer brand, a grocery store chain, a bowling ball brand, fishing tackle, mosquito spray, hand warmers, hunting gear, a hardware store ...... the list goes on and on. Just sayin' :argue:

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

The Green Bay Packers signing All-Pro defensive lineman J.J. Watt is the "most likely'' scenario for the just-released former Houston Texans All-Pro, a source close to the situation tells TexansDaily.com.

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/.amp/news ... ssion=true

Gute and or TT sitting on hands :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lfg!!!!!

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Oh God please let this happen.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Bring him on board!

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

IMO, JJ Watt has too many miles on him. Not worth the money it would take to bring him to GB. That money could be used to sign their own FAs.

Gutey generally uses FA for younger players who have some upside.
Love is the answer…

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I would assume if we do sign him it will be for a team friendly deal.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."