Packers Salary Cap

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

The thing is, Linsley is a very good center. Top 2 in the league. Why would anyone let Linsley walk and keep Turner and Wagner instead? Cutting Turner and Wagner pays for Linsley. You don't get to the SB by letting excellent players walk in order to keep journeymen.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
18 Feb 2021 14:36
The thing is, Linsley is a very good center. Top 2 in the league. Why would anyone let Linsley walk and keep Turner and Wagner instead? Cutting Turner and Wagner pays for Linsley. You don't get to the SB by letting excellent players walk in order to keep journeymen.
Not a bad point. It would create an absolute hole at RT. But as you said, there may be a shot we could fill that and just hope that the JAG or draft pick isn't an absolute liability.

Unfortuantely, the Packers have experienced Justin McCrays and what's his name who played swing tackle in 2015/2016 who were just terrible.

So that would be your risk.

But I guarantee the Packers don't do it. nope. Not a chance. They aren't risking going into August 2021 with no starting tackles on the roster.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
18 Feb 2021 14:54
TheSkeptic wrote:
Not a bad point. It would create an absolute hole at RT. But as you said, there may be a shot we could fill that and just hope that the JAG or draft pick isn't an absolute liability.

Unfortuantely, the Packers have experienced Justin McCrays and what's his name who played swing tackle in 2015/2016 who were just terrible.

It is a bad point because it's not true. Cutting Turner saves us about $3.5M in cap space and cutting Wagner saves us about $4.2M in cap space. $7.7M isn't going to buy us Linsley and now we have major problems at OT. Everyone wants Corey Linsley back. He probably is a Top 2 Center in this league, but to pay him what he will get probably just isn't worth it.

Read More. Post Less.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Don't pay Centers or RBs.

Value over replacement isn't there.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TheSkeptic wrote:
If I am going to have a hole on the OL, IOL is a lot easier to fill than T; Linsley himself was a 5th-round pick who started Day 1.

We also at least have some guys who can play C: Jenkins (although I think I rather keep him at LG), Patrick (not ideal, but passable), Hansen possibly.

We do not have anyone at RT after Turner and Wagner, except possibly Yosh Nijman. I mean, sure, it's possible Runyan or Stepaniak could be playing there next year, but I am not sure why anyone would expect it given that Runyan played exclusively inside last year and both seem better suited inside anyway.

Cutting one of Turner/Wagner may be defensible (Turner is the better RT, though Wagner is the cheaper option). Cutting both is crazy-talk.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
18 Feb 2021 15:05

We are likely about to be the ultimate case study on your hypothesis.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
18 Feb 2021 14:59
go pak go wrote:
18 Feb 2021 14:54
TheSkeptic wrote:

It is a bad point because it's not true. Cutting Turner saves us about $3.5M in cap space and cutting Wagner saves us about $4.2M in cap space. $7.7M isn't going to buy us Linsley and now we have major problems at OT. Everyone wants Corey Linsley back. He probably is a Top 2 Center in this league, but to pay him what he will get probably just isn't worth it.
Not sure where you got $4.2 from. $6 cap - 1.75 dead cap = $4.75, not $4.2

David Bak has a salary cap of 11 million on an average salary of $23 mil. LT's get paid a lot more than centers. Tell me why Linsley could not be structured the same way as Bak was. If Bak's cap is less than half his actual salary, why is $8.25 cap for Linsley not enough? Linsley is not going to get an actual salary of more than $16.5 mil a year, is he?

Plus keeping Linsley makes Taylor expendable so they get another $2 + there. Taylor is not under contract but his cap was $2.4 last season and if they want to keep him, he won't cost much less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm pretty sure Lane Taylor will fall under the vet miniumum rule this year and his cap hit will be under a million.

Essentially, Lane Taylor will cost the same as any other player on the 53. Literally no risk to the Packers.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
19 Feb 2021 04:15
It does?

:read:

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
Tell me why Linsley could not be structured the same way as Bak was.
Because we need to consider the cap ramifications beyond just 2021. A low cap hit in 2021 means a much bigger cap hit in 2022 and beyond. I think most believe Linsley should be commanding a salary of around $12M+, so you do the math on that.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
19 Feb 2021 07:04
TheSkeptic wrote:
It does?

Though the same. :lol:

Actually you are all wrong, 6 - 1.75 = 4.25

Knew that mathematics degree would pay off one day.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
Plus keeping Linsley makes Taylor expendable so they get another $2 + there. Taylor is not under contract but his cap was $2.4 last season and if they want to keep him, he won't cost much less.
Taylor won’t cost $2 million I don’t think. But I also think he is a no brainer to bring back.

He’s gunna be cheap, no downside, he will not cost us Linsley.

I’m almost all agreeing with you here, I’ve resigned Linsley in both my mocks (thinking a much higher salary cap than 180), I agree cutting Wagner, he was signed to start and he got beat out by essentially Lane Taylor and Lucas Patrick. No room for RTO on the bench.

But I can just not get behind the idea of either releasing Turner or thinking he was bad last year. Find me any number, metric, statistic that showed he wasn’t at worst an average RT. Sacks allowed, hurries allowed, PFF grade, McGinn grade, Andy Herman grade, ESPN blocking metrics. Find my one to support your bias.

It is damn hard to find quality starting tackles in the NFL and we’ve seemed to find one, and honestly and a very good price for what tackles can get.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
18 Feb 2021 16:05
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

The calculus on a lot of these hypothesis change when you are talking about the best center in the league and one of the best RBs.

We may have to let them walk bc we pay a NT, LT, QB, and soon to be CB near the tops for their positions...but I would not avoid paying linsley due to some unwritten rule about how anybody can play the position.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Feb 2021 07:33
We may have to let them walk bc we pay a NT, LT, QB, and soon to be CB near the tops for their positions...but I would not avoid paying linsley due to some unwritten rule about how anybody can play the position.
And WR...

Generally, I would agree, but we have visual evidence that Jenkins can play Center and play really well. Having that built in option makes it easier for me to let Linsley go, even though it then opens up a hole at LG.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Feb 2021 07:33
BF004 wrote:
18 Feb 2021 16:05
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

The calculus on a lot of these hypothesis change when you are talking about the best center in the league and one of the best RBs.

no kidding, this don't pay RB's, or centers, or guards has become a damn cliche, I brought a clip that showed a half doz RB's that excelled on second contracts, and OLiners often play well into 3rd contracts, people focus on the failures and negate the successes, the only reason we wont resign Jones or Linsley has more to do with signing Bak, a up coming resign of Adams, and the fact that we are almost 20 mil over the cap right now.

I hate the thought of moving Jenkins to center, but center might be his best position, and center is typically your sencond level blocker in the run schemes, in that sense Center may be the number two priority on the OL.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
19 Feb 2021 07:21
NCF wrote:
19 Feb 2021 07:04
TheSkeptic wrote:
It does?

Though the same. :lol:

Actually you are all wrong, 6 - 1.75 = 4.25

Knew that mathematics degree would pay off one day.
:lol: See I don't call that math. I call that arithmetic.

I feel like Math the answer isn't 6-1.75 = 4.25 but instead you feel the need to complicate it with, 6 - 1.75 = 1.35 pie. ;) or something like that.

Higher level math pissed me off so much. I just decided to go the accounting route in my professional career. :lol: Let me stick with basic arithmetic, algebra, and simple statistics.

Although I do feel like a badass when I bring up there is heteroscedasticity in the data to make any confident conclusion in my conversations.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
19 Feb 2021 07:51
no kidding, this don't pay RB's, or centers, or guards has become a damn cliche, I brought a clip that showed a half doz RB's that excelled on second contracts, and OLiners often play well into 3rd contracts, people focus on the failures and negate the successes, the only reason we wont resign Jones or Linsley has more to do with signing Bak, a up coming resign of Adams, and the fact that we are almost 20 mil over the cap right now.
Obviously. If we had unlimited funds we would re-sign everyone. The point some are making with RB's and C's is that there is not as big of gap between the best C or RB and average C or RB as there is at "more important" positions. The gap between the best WR and average WR seems pretty wide and we can use our own roster as evidence of that. But, if we can pay millions and millions of dollars less for a C or RB that is not quite as good as Linsley or Jones, are our resources better spent somewhere else? The answer is not crystal clear, either, and that is why we argue. There are a lot of variables to consider.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
19 Feb 2021 08:52
Yoop wrote:
Obviously. If we had unlimited funds we would re-sign everyone. The point some are making with RB's and C's is that there is not as big of gap between the best C or RB and average C or RB as there is at "more important" positions. The gap between the best WR and average WR seems pretty wide and we can use our own roster as evidence of that. But, if we can pay millions and millions of dollars less for a C or RB that is not quite as good as Linsley or Jones, are our resources better spent somewhere else? The answer is not crystal clear, either, and that is why we argue. There are a lot of variables to consider.
I don't see it this way, I think there is a huge Gap between Williams and Jones, about a 1000 yrds, (give or take) same with Linsley and a more average center, minus Linsley taking out the lber, Jones doesn't get several of his long runs

as I said, (just read a article, and should have brought it) the more you run, the higher the need for a excellent center because they usually are tasked with taking out the inside lber, so when it comes to OL priority positions imo Center comes right after LT. as to Jones I think it's more pertinate to this conversation to raise production over position, in that sense Jones ranks very high.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
19 Feb 2021 09:08
NCF wrote:
19 Feb 2021 08:52
Yoop wrote:
I don't see it this way, I think there is a huge Gap between Williams and Jones, about a 1000 yrds, (give or take) same with Linsley and a more average center, minus Linsley taking out the lber, Jones doesn't get several of his long runs

as I said, (just read a article, and should have brought it) the more you run, the higher the need for a excellent center because they usually are tasked with taking out the inside lber, so when it comes to OL priority positions imo Center comes right after LT. as to Jones I think it's more pertinate to this conversation to raise production over position, in that sense Jones ranks very high.
Didn't you say 3 days ago we weren't paying Jones. Now you say once again we need to pay Jones?
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

My current stance with both guys is to pay them what they are worth. No market premium. If they can get more, I applaud them and will let them go.

Read More. Post Less.