2021 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

49ers at #3 Take...

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2021 00:11

Mac Jones
50%
Trey Lance
38%
Justin Fields
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
18 Feb 2021 12:21
I disagree 100000% on JOK. That dude changes the d at backer and cover safety. Hes Landon collins but better in coverage. That kid is a football player though and though. I would trade up in a second for him.

You can never have enough rushers and if preston is gone thats not a luxury its a need. With Z and Gary being able to rush inside (phillips can also) they would be on the field a ton. Joe Tryon is another id like day 2. Explosive edge guys just won a sb for brady. Sign me up

Yea this DT draft sucks. I dont want to over value a prospect bc the overall group is weak. I like nixon and barmore though
The Packers would still have 2 starters in Z and Gary. A backup is not a need. Plus, Garvin is promising. The main reason he dropped until the 7th round last year is that he was only 20 years old and was not physically mature. The knock on him was that he needed a year in the weight room. He won't be 22 until the end of July.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

TheSkeptic wrote:
18 Feb 2021 13:38
Backthepack4ever wrote:
18 Feb 2021 12:21
I disagree 100000% on JOK. That dude changes the d at backer and cover safety. Hes Landon collins but better in coverage. That kid is a football player though and though. I would trade up in a second for him.

You can never have enough rushers and if preston is gone thats not a luxury its a need. With Z and Gary being able to rush inside (phillips can also) they would be on the field a ton. Joe Tryon is another id like day 2. Explosive edge guys just won a sb for brady. Sign me up

Yea this DT draft sucks. I dont want to over value a prospect bc the overall group is weak. I like nixon and barmore though
The Packers would still have 2 starters in Z and Gary. A backup is not a need. Plus, Garvin is promising. The main reason he dropped until the 7th round last year is that he was only 20 years old and was not physically mature. The knock on him was that he needed a year in the weight room. He won't be 22 until the end of July.

It sure is a need. Your 3rd pass rusher is getting plenty of play. Like a nickle cb. 3rd and over 6 give me pass rushers not dts. Phillips is an elite talent. Im not saying take any edge round 1 im saying him if hes there. I really feel he goes before 20 bc the edge class is weak and this guy will be a stud. I have no problem with Garvin but if z or Gary goes down for any amount of time im not excited. Then whats after Garvin? If Preston is gone after gary and Z our edge guys have ZERO sacks. 0.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm not gonna say Garvin like impressed me or anything.

I find there is a little too much "benefit of the doubt" to completely replaceable players just because they are "young"
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

with Mathews we saw potential almost instantly, even Gary showed that once he was allowed to play more he would make strides quickly, with Guys like Garven or Perry, not so much, so there ceiling was/is hard to forcast, so if we are going to cut P Smith we'll have to address this, If we bring in Watt then I think we can pass.

I think we'll also cut King, so CB is obviously a need, neither of Jackson or Sullivan have impressed me to much and just because they might be better in zone, it's no sure thing, we also have to consider ILB, this cover 2 zone demands ILB ability to cover, no way around that now, to bad this draft class seems a little thin.

we have plenty of draft needs, we have to consider OL, we'll probably lose Linsley, good draft for OL, could go after one high depending how th e talent rolls out, same with slot receiver return man, course there are usually a few in the later rounds.
we never seem to be short of draft day need/wants.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

soon as I said we need better lber play, this pops up, short so I brought this part, 2 other Packers articles if ya click the link, these grades are pretty bad, Martin did well with half the snaps of Kirksey, but 68 grade isn't something to brag about, have to wonder how much pull Berry will have to bring someone in through FA or the draft.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-wa ... 39338.html

Zach Kruse
Thu, February 18, 2021, 2:53 PM

Last January, Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst said he wanted to take a “long look” at his inside linebacker group. He responded by letting Blake Martinez go in free agency, signing veteran Christian Kirksey, drafting Kamal Martin and signing undrafted free agent Krys Barnes.

Now, Gutekunst wants better production from the position – and it’s possible the improvement could come from young players already on the roster.

“Yeah, I think have to have more productive play out of there,” Gutekunst said last month. “We had some injuries there early in the year. I was really proud of the way guys stepped in, the way they competed. But I do think we need better production out of our inside linebacker group. I expect, we have some young players in there that will grow and get better. I think we’ll see that moving forward.”

Kirksey missed five games with injury and could be a cap casualty after just one season in Green Bay. Martin and Barnes both went through the ups and downs of being a rookie playing important snaps in their first seasons. Ty Summers only saw brief action. Oren Burks, a third-round pick in 2018, played more on the edge than at inside linebacker.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Pro Football Focus grades for Packers inside linebackers, 2020
Christian Kirksey: 48.3 (591 snaps)
Krys Barnes: 43.0 (504)
Kamal Martin: 68.5 (208)
Ty Summers: 47.7 (41)
Oren Burks: 28.6 (96)

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Can’t believe they have Summers rated higher than Barnes. The defense was noticeably better when Barnes was playing. You could see the difference when he wasn’t.

Summers is useless. I don’t see him making the team next year.

Barnes and Martin are the future. Maybe a low round draft pick to fortify. They can all learn under Kirksey.
Love is the answer…

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The Packers have needs on defense at all 3 levels. That being DT, ILB, and CB. On offense they need an OT.

Edge is something they could use. It’s a want. I have no problem with edge from the 3rd round on. I really think the biggest need is still DT. The edge here could be dominant if they forced a few 3rd and kings a little more often by playing better on1st and 2nd down and part of that is the run defense. They got a little better as the season went on but it’s still spotty IMO. A DT stops the QB from stepping up, it improves the run defense, and it takes pressure off of Clark to be dominant down in and down out.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Feb 2021 21:02
I really think the biggest need is still DT.
I have to agree, again. CB is the biggest paper need, but I think much easier to fill than a DL that is better than our usual cast of UDFA's. I can also see Gute going the "see what sticks" approach at CB and drafting several of them in the mid-rounds.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
19 Feb 2021 07:12
lupedafiasco wrote:
I have to agree, again. CB is the biggest paper need, but I think much easier to fill than a DL that is better than our usual cast of UDFA's. I can also see Gute going the "see what sticks" approach at CB and drafting several of them in the mid-rounds.
I'm also not sure there's a ton of difference between the CBs available at 30 and at 60--the tiers of available players don't break down such that there's any sort of sweet spot in the 25-40 range unless Horn falls.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Feb 2021 11:20
NCF wrote:
19 Feb 2021 07:12
lupedafiasco wrote:
I'm also not sure there's a ton of difference between the CBs available at 30 and at 60--the tiers of available players don't break down such that there's any sort of sweet spot in the 25-40 range unless Horn falls.
I agree. This cb class after the few at the top is pretty average and a big 2nd tier. Rodaruis williams is rated as a 4th right now but I think hes as good as any in the 2nd tier. (Samuel included) hes not flashy just a long time starter that holds his own. Tough kid.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just putting out there what I want from this draft.
  • 9 or 10 draft picks
  • Day Three picks at RT and OC
  • A DT and a CB in the top 3 or 4 rounds
  • Every other pick devoted to satellite players--space players; elusive backs and returners and WRs
I think we need spice on the top of the offensive dish more than we need another side dish or main course. I think RT of the future (for after Turner's contract) and depth make sense. I think Day Three Cs can play in this league once developed. And I think CB and DT are our legitimate needs.

One exception: I will accept Zavien Collins as my lord and savior if he's there at 30. But otherwise, this list is my demand.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Feb 2021 15:24
  • 9 or 10 draft picks
  • Every other pick devoted to satellite players--space players; elusive backs and returners and WRs
I think we need spice on the top of the offensive dish more than we need another side dish or main course. I think RT of the future (for after Turner's contract) and depth make sense. I think Day Three Cs can play in this league once developed. And I think CB and DT are our legitimate needs.

One exception: I will accept Zavien Collins as my lord and savior if he's there at 30. But otherwise, this list is my demand.
2 x OL, 2 x DL, 2 x CB, Slot WR, ILB.

That's what I want. OL can be got in the middle rounds. One or more of those needs could be found with a FA; if not I think the Packers will have to move up and down the board with trades.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

If hes there at 30 we passed on him :P

I hope the league worries about this hazing thing with parson and he falls to us. I also really love what JOK brings. I think he overall will be a better Landon collins type. Yea I said that.

I agree with the rest Yoho. I love the idea of space separators as weapons. The draft is LOADED with these kind of players. This wr draft is better then last year's. Dl sure isnt though.

2 rbs I really like are in my last article

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2021/02/2 ... w-offense/

But the pack have also talked to rising jermar Jefferson. Good size back with receiving skills

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
  • 9 or 10 draft picks

Yup. Zavin has once again climbed to my #1 draft crush in the first round. I went back and forth between Marshal, Zaven, Asante Jr and Toney.

But I think Collins is my man. Pretty sure this is like the 4th out 5 years my #1 Draft crush is an ILB. :lol:

1. Erick Kendricks
2. Myles Jack/Jaylon Smith (Kenny Clark was #3)
3. TJ Watt
4. Tremaine Edmunds
5. Devin Bush/Devin White (though knew he would be gone/Brian Burns
6. Patrick Queen/Kenneth Murray.

I'm so glad we never pick those guys. ;)
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

I mean I'll say I'm happy we didn't draft a few of those guys esp queen. He was really really bad.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
22 Feb 2021 16:43
I mean I'll say I'm happy we didn't draft a few of those guys esp queen. He was really really bad.
I didn't say I was right. I just am honest about my draft crushes and point out that I have wanted an ILB for a REALLY long time.

But overall, that list of players has done really well.
Yoop wrote:

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

go pak go wrote:
22 Feb 2021 16:51
Backthepack4ever wrote:
22 Feb 2021 16:43
I didn't say I was right. I just am honest about my draft crushes and point out that I have wanted an ILB for a REALLY long time.

But overall, that list of players has done really well.
This is the internet. You're not allowed to be honest...

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Feb 2021 15:50
YoHoChecko wrote:
  • 9 or 10 draft picks

Yup. Zavin has once again climbed to my #1 draft crush in the first round. I went back and forth between Marshal, Zaven, Asante Jr and Toney.

But I think Collins is my man. Pretty sure this is like the 4th out 5 years my #1 Draft crush is an ILB. :lol:

1. Erick Kendricks
2. Myles Jack/Jaylon Smith (Kenny Clark was #3)
3. TJ Watt
4. Tremaine Edmunds
5. Devin Bush/Devin White (though knew he would be gone/Brian Burns
6. Patrick Queen/Kenneth Murray.

I'm so glad we never pick those guys. ;)
ya, like no one else here wanted any of these lbers :lol:

Ogletree, we wanted him to, I liked Queen last year and still think he'll be a good one, both Jacks and Jaylon Smith where injured, Smith lost his whole rookie season.

All I had to do was watch a couple high lite reels of Collins to come to the opinion he's another of the draft day climbers, whats not to like? everyone wants the versatility he brings, inside/outside guys are in high demand, seems like top 20 or even better to me.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Queen was expected to struggle. He’s still new to the position. He used to be a RB before swapping to LB. All the athletic traits are there he’s just got to put it together.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Feb 2021 21:06
Queen was expected to struggle. He’s still new to the position. He used to be a RB before swapping to LB. All the athletic traits are there he’s just got to put it together.
Honestly what a bs excuse. I mean really if the pack took him packer nation would be on fire talking about the greatest bust of all time. But hes on the ravens and had a play or 2 so its ok bc he needs time 😂😂😂 Jack was a rb. He was good.

I mean I think queen can be solid but at his draft status ill take barnes and his instincts.