Packers Salary Cap

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
19 Feb 2021 09:22
My current stance with both guys is to pay them what they are worth. No market premium. If they can get more, I applaud them and will let them go.
My stance is I have no stance. I expect both of them to be gone. I understand we are in a cap bind and I hope we get JJ Watt.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
19 Feb 2021 09:19
Yoop wrote:
19 Feb 2021 09:08
NCF wrote:
19 Feb 2021 08:52

Obviously. If we had unlimited funds we would re-sign everyone. The point some are making with RB's and C's is that there is not as big of gap between the best C or RB and average C or RB as there is at "more important" positions. The gap between the best WR and average WR seems pretty wide and we can use our own roster as evidence of that. But, if we can pay millions and millions of dollars less for a C or RB that is not quite as good as Linsley or Jones, are our resources better spent somewhere else? The answer is not crystal clear, either, and that is why we argue. There are a lot of variables to consider.
I don't see it this way, I think there is a huge Gap between Williams and Jones, about a 1000 yrds, (give or take) same with Linsley and a more average center, minus Linsley taking out the lber, Jones doesn't get several of his long runs

as I said, (just read a article, and should have brought it) the more you run, the higher the need for a excellent center because they usually are tasked with taking out the inside lber, so when it comes to OL priority positions imo Center comes right after LT. as to Jones I think it's more pertinate to this conversation to raise production over position, in that sense Jones ranks very high.
Didn't you say 3 days ago we weren't paying Jones. Now you say once again we need to pay Jones?
hey, don't ask me to remember something I said 20 minutes ago, let alone 3 or 4 days, ya have to realize I've been under the influence of my Doctor, and he has me on some mind altering drugs for goodness sake :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
19 Feb 2021 09:22
My current stance with both guys is to pay them what they are worth. No market premium. If they can get more, I applaud them and will let them go.
well sure, mostly my point was the value of each at there position, we have pretty good replacement players for both, even though I expect at minimum a decline at both.

again I ask the question, are wqe waiting till the start of the new season, or some other date ( FA) to make a offer to either? I havn't seen or heard of anything about this, maybe it's common knowledge and I'am to far noe behind the curve.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
19 Feb 2021 09:50
I havn't seen or heard of anything about this, maybe it's common knowledge and I'am to far noe behind the curve.
It's been pretty widely reported that we made a few definitive offers to Jones that he turned down. Also, reported that Linsley has heard crickets.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
19 Feb 2021 10:01
I think Andrew is spot on, the owners shelled out a lot of dough to give us a season last year, and always had my doubts about them agreeing to take more losses by kicking up the cap now and relying on future revenue increases to absorb it.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Still say a joint compromise of cap smoothing and 17 game season is most likely outcome.

It's likely the two things each sides wants most right now.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
19 Feb 2021 07:51
no kidding, this don't pay RB's, or centers, or guards has become a damn cliche, I brought a clip that showed a half doz RB's that excelled on second contracts, and OLiners often play well into 3rd contracts, people focus on the failures and negate the successes, the only reason we wont resign Jones or Linsley has more to do with signing Bak, a up coming resign of Adams, and the fact that we are almost 20 mil over the cap right now.
Obviously. If we had unlimited funds we would re-sign everyone. The point some are making with RB's and C's is that there is not as big of gap between the best C or RB and average C or RB as there is at "more important" positions. The gap between the best WR and average WR seems pretty wide and we can use our own roster as evidence of that. But, if we can pay millions and millions of dollars less for a C or RB that is not quite as good as Linsley or Jones, are our resources better spent somewhere else? The answer is not crystal clear, either, and that is why we argue. There are a lot of variables to consider.
I don't see it this way, I think there is a huge Gap between Williams and Jones, about a 1000 yrds, (give or take) same with Linsley and a more average center, minus Linsley taking out the lber, Jones doesn't get several of his long runs

as I said, (just read a article, and should have brought it) the more you run, the higher the need for a excellent center because they usually are tasked with taking out the inside lber, so when it comes to OL priority positions imo Center comes right after LT. as to Jones I think it's more pertinate to this conversation to raise production over position, in that sense Jones ranks very high.
So I'm curious, [mention]Yoop[/mention], which positions are you willing to not pay? You've been vocal about paying Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Linsley, you supported the Bahk extension, same with Clark, same with signing the Smith's, you want a stud ILB, you want studs on the outside, you love your safety's...hell, you even advocated for the resigning of our kicker to a top 3 contract.

So where are you willing to make sacrifices to stay under the salary cap? Under which remaining position group(s) are we to realize a large enough cap savings to offset all these other position groups you argue need to be retained at market price?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
19 Feb 2021 11:06
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

So I'm curious, @Yoop, which positions are you willing to not pay? You've been vocal about paying Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Linsley, you supported the Bahk extension, same with Clark, same with signing the Smith's, you want a stud ILB, you want studs on the outside, you love your safety's...hell, you even advocated for the resigning of our kicker to a top 3 contract.

So where are you willing to make sacrifices to stay under the salary cap? Under which remaining position group(s) are we to realize a large enough cap savings to offset all these other position groups you argue need to be retained at market price?
so shocking that NO ONE has jumped in to answer this for me with a sarcastic response, whatever.

obviously Adams can wait a year when the cap might be higher, also I didn't support the signing of both Smiths, guty spent a ton on them and then used slot 12 on Gary, seemed like over kill at the time, and our safety's are under contract, now your over killing it,, never mentioned Crosby in a year, have you seen the ILB grades I brought, our best sucks, got a 68 grade, both lber and CB need a huge production jump for this defense to take the next step.

I'am not willing to make any sacrifices, but I'am sure some will be3 made, as I said prior I don't see any way we can retain Linsley or Jones after hearing they where made offers, or at least Jones was, I also showed that Sullivan is a below average slot corner, so we'll have to address two maybe 3 CB positions since Jackson was even worse then Sullivan.

never said anyone needed to be retained at any value, just that I'd hoped they'd be, here you go twisting what I say to suit your argument

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
19 Feb 2021 12:24
obviously Adams can wait a year when the cap might be higher, also I didn't support the signing of both Smiths, guty spent a ton on them and then used slot 12 on Gary, seemed like over kill at the time, and our safety's are under contract, now your over killing it,, never mentioned Crosby in a year, have you seen the ILB grades I brought, our best sucks, got a 68 grade, both lber and CB need a huge production jump for this defense to take the next step.

I'am not willing to make any sacrifices, but I'am sure some will be3 made, as I said prior I don't see any way we can retain Linsley or Jones after hearing they where made offers, or at least Jones was, I also showed that Sullivan is a below average slot corner, so we'll have to address two maybe 3 CB positions since Jackson was even worse then Sullivan.

never said anyone needed to be retained at any value, just that I'd hoped they'd be, here you go twisting what I say to suit your argument
First off, you were all over the Smith signings. You just complained incessantly when, after they were signed, Gary was selected on top of it. Your gripe has always been the Gary pick, not the Smith signings. Amos was a veteran FA signing you applauded. Crosby was Capers level argument for you. Adams is already a high dollar contract and will only go higher. You continue to argue instant help at CB and ILB. How? With rookies? Not from what you've argued about rookies making the pro-level jump. So how? Another veteran signing?

My point is you've consistently argued the team needs to retain all our own quality players while continually engaging posters who dare to suggest letting certain players walk and rarely acknowledge any roster sacrifices need to be made in order to satisfy the salary cap. And then it's the "I told ya so" arguments when the (insert position group) struggles the following season because the team knowingly had to trust in inexperienced or known less-than-stellar commodities because of salary cap crunch.

In today's salary cap era, we can't keep every player we want nor pay top dollar at a multitude of positions without sacrificing elsewhere. Several posters here are making those arguments as to which players to keep and which to let walk because they get that. Everybody but you, it seems.

That was the point of directing those questions at you, not because I'm trying to be a smart ass or make you look bad. It was an attempt to force you to realize the reality of the modern day salary cap.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
18 Feb 2021 06:53
Wow, okay. Umm....

You are both just simply flat out wrong.

You have an unwarranted bias against Turner and it’s disappointing and downright comical neither of you are even willing to consider you might have been wrong about him.

He was flat out a good RT last year.

No point in carrying out a conversation with either of you if it is more important to stick with your narrative than it is to try to be honest with yourself.

Ridiculous.
I agree with this. Turner was a good RT; talk of cutting him is crazytalk. He was better than Wagner; we cut Wagner and are going with Turner. He was better at RT than he has been for us at OG, which was a surprise to all of us, but it worked out.

Right now we have Bakh locked in at LT and Turner at RT. Lane Taylor will be very cheap to bring back after two injuries to be at least a capable reserve at OG and RT. We'll want a RT in a draft that is short on LTs and long on RTs, so the need aligns nicely with the depth of the draft. If Bakh can't make it back in time, I'd guess we're starting Jenkins and Turner at OT and Patrick and Runyan at OG with maybe a rookie C? Not ideal.

RT and C in the draft, though, with a healthy Bakh, should leave us in comparably good shape on the OLine as we were this year, when we had one of the best

(this is assuming we lose Linsley; if we keep him, we'll have plenty)

I'm interested to see how much room we wind up clearing in all of this and what that puts ont he table for us. I'd like at least some lower-level additions. Cordarelle Patterson is on my mind as the Tyler Ervin role--KR and offensive gadget/motion/jet sweep guy.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I loved Herman's video this morning.

Herman's video also likely made it clear.

We got one maybe two years unless the cap WAAAAY increases to likely be a threat until our cap just isn't sustainable if we go for a "win now" mode.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
01 Mar 2021 08:46

We got one maybe two years unless the cap WAAAAY increases to likely be a threat until our cap just isn't sustainable if we go for a "win now" mode.
haha, looks like Andy took your 101 class in NFL team capoligy :rotf: , session two should be coming shortly now that JJ Watt went to zona for the big guarantee, he shafted us, and has fore gone sleeping and living with his family, what a scum bagger he turned out to be :rotf:

I like Herman, he's our best beat writer, always optimistic and informative.

He let Jones walk though, so thats one demaret right there. :thwap:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 Mar 2021 13:45
go pak go wrote:
01 Mar 2021 08:46

haha, looks like Andy took your 101 class in NFL team capoligy :rotf: , session two should be coming shortly now that JJ Watt went to zona for the big guarantee, he shafted us, and has fore gone sleeping and living with his family, what a scum bagger he turned out to be :rotf:

I like Herman, he's our best beat writer, always optimistic and informative.

He let Jones walk though, so thats one demaret right there. :thwap:
Well yeah. He signed JJ.

so.....
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Rob Demovsky, ESPN wrote:The Packers likely will convert some of Aaron Rodgers' 2021 money ($21.5 million) into a signing bonus that can prorate over multiple cap years. GM Brian Gutekunst: "We've reached out to a number of players … working with those guys to find solutions to this cap issue." The team doesn't have to ask Rodgers for his permission to make such a move, but Gutekunst indicated there have been talks.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

The numbers are a bit different still depending on where you look. But it's all pretty close to $9.5M we need to cut still.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Cap after some moves that make sense.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

image.png
image.png (29.57 KiB) Viewed 443 times
So we get to kick the can majorly down the road AND get a cool $7 million to spend....oh boy. :lol:

Not gonna lie. That's not exciting information.
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
10 Mar 2021 09:51
That's not exciting information.
Kicking the can down the road never made more sense than it does right now. In the past, teams could count on about a $10M increase in the cap each year and planned accordingly. So while the cap for 2020 was 198M, Gute and the GMs set contracts " knowing" the 2021 cap would be around $210 M based on history. Pandemic blew that deal. So the only reason GB is tight is because they, like all teams planned for $210M in 2021

Going forward, the new TV deals will kick in during the 2022 and 2023 season and the cap growth will be even more than $10M/ yr.
Significantly more. That's why kicking the can now is a much easier pill to swallow than in previous years- the TV induced cap growth will be huge.
IT. IS. TIME