2021 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

49ers at #3 Take...

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2021 00:11

Mac Jones
50%
Trey Lance
38%
Justin Fields
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
28 Jan 2021 10:21
This Quinn Meinerz from UW whitewater is beating dudes up at the Sr. Bowl practice. He looks like he has the makings to be a sleeper who can become a really solid guard. They couldn't stop talking about him on every snap!!!
Sounds like he was mostly a C at the Senior Bowl, also, so fits a need. Interesting to see where his draft stock lands. If he's there in the 4th or 5th for us, I'm in

The other small schooler, Grambling St's David Moore, also sounds like a possible sleeper winner at iOL

(just getting through my Senior Bowl work now)

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 09:30
Packers Prospect Meeting List: https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021 ... nte-samuel
Thomas Graham, Jr., CB, Oregon — While Samuel could be a candidate at the end of day one, Graham is more likely a late day-two prospect. Graham opted out of the 2020 season, but recorded multiple interceptions in each of his first three years after stepping in immediately as a starter his freshman year.
They are grading Graham REALLY high. He is a Day 3 guy.

But one thing I am noticing that I am really liking is the Packers are seeming to be interested in CBs in the Jaire mold. Not necessarily big guys but guys with really great hips and guys who aren't afraid of getting their nose dirty on tackles and be physical with WRs.

Maybe they are learning their lesson on their crappy larger CB picks? Give me fluid hips at CB.

If I ever, EVER read "stiff hips"...nope.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
27 Feb 2021 10:12
Thomas Graham, Jr., CB, Oregon — While Samuel could be a candidate at the end of day one, Graham is more likely a late day-two prospect. Graham opted out of the 2020 season, but recorded multiple interceptions in each of his first three years after stepping in immediately as a starter his freshman year.
They are grading Graham REALLY high. He is a Day 3 guy.

But one thing I am noticing that I am really liking is the Packers are seeming to be interested in CBs in the Jaire mold. Not necessarily big guys but guys with really great hips and guys who aren't afraid of getting their nose dirty on tackles and be physical with WRs
Is there really a big difference between "late day two" and "day three"?

Graham got some mentions as a Senior Bowl as a standout. A late 3rd round pick wouldn't surprise me on him.

And yeah, I like the quicks, also, but I don't know if it's a philosophy shift or it's just that we have a bunch of longer, (in some cases) slower CBs on the roster already. So they're trying to balance out the roster.

At some point I need to dig into Barry's defensive philosophy and player preferences and history. I was taking a little offseason during his hiring and missed that run of literature.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Feb 2021 14:00

When you throw in the words, "could sneak into Day 1"....yes.

Now you are implying not a borderline Day 2/Day 3 guy. That little phrase quickly changes the perception of Graham to readers.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:

At some point I need to dig into Barry's defensive philosophy and player preferences and history. I was taking a little offseason during his hiring and missed that run of literature.
I mean the Packers don't even have coaches entrenched yet. We don't know if Mike Smith will be OLB coach, DE coach, ILB coach.

Like we need the Packers to talk about what they are planning on doing from a defensive philosophy standpoint.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
27 Feb 2021 14:39
YoHoChecko wrote:

When you throw in the words, "could sneak into Day 1"....yes.

Now you are implying not a borderline Day 2/Day 3 guy. That little phrase quickly changes the perception of Graham to readers.
I think you read a bit quickly. That was about Samuel. It was contrasting Samuel’s draft status as a guy who might slip into Day one with Graham’s status as a guy who might slip into late Day two

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
27 Feb 2021 14:40
YoHoChecko wrote:

I mean the Packers don't even have coaches entrenched yet. We don't know if Mike Smith will be OLB coach, DE coach, ILB coach.

Like we need the Packers to talk about what they are planning on doing from a defensive philosophy standpoint.
Did any of the regular media guys do a good podcast or anything breaking Barry down?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Feb 2021 14:45
go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Did any of the regular media guys do a good podcast or anything breaking Barry down?
Herman is the most thoughtful and I think the most thoughtful usually do a job of saying, "not enough info" which Herman pretty much said.

Mentioned he could do both a 4-3 or 3-4. Honestly I think Watt could have a lot of sway in that if he come on board.

Demovsky has heard really great things about him from others in the league and basically just said Packers fans who want an aggressive defense with high energy etc. will get their wish.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Feb 2021 15:03
YoHoChecko wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Herman is the most thoughtful and I think the most thoughtful usually do a job of saying, "not enough info" which Herman pretty much said.

Mentioned he could do both a 4-3 or 3-4. Honestly I think Watt could have a lot of sway in that if he come on board.

Demovsky has heard really great things about him from others in the league and basically just said Packers fans who want an aggressive defense with high energy etc. will get their wish.
yep, I brought a couple articles that mentioned that, but I think the most informative thing I've read is that Lafluer wants to run some sort of Vic Fangio scheme and will be more involved with Berry to implement it, so then when you look up what Fangio uses most you get variations of Tampa 2, cover 2 zone with a pre snap look of 4-5-2, now obviously Berry and Lafluer will mix it up some, and try and match scheme to personal, and I'am sure we'll see a lot of 5 and 6 man pre snap fronts.

seems there are a half doz defenses that are using off shoots of Vic's cover 2, maybe more, it's a copy cat league.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
27 Feb 2021 15:22
go pak go wrote:
27 Feb 2021 15:03
YoHoChecko wrote:

yep, I brought a couple articles that mentioned that, but I think the most informative thing I've read is that Lafluer wants to run some sort of Vic Fangio scheme and will be more involved with Berry to implement it, so then when you look up what Fangio uses most you get variations of Tampa 2, cover 2 zone with a pre snap look of 4-5-2, now obviously Berry and Lafluer will mix it up some, and try and match scheme to personal, and I'am sure we'll see a lot of 5 and 6 man pre snap fronts.

seems there are a half doz defenses that are using off shoots of Vic's cover 2, maybe more, it's a copy cat league.
Yes I would agree we are likely to evolve to the Fangio variant which is why I think we will pursue an ILB this year. Because that's a very important position in the Fangio system.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Thanks, this was actually fairly informative. I just listened to Herman's Berry breakdown and his pod with Fennell that looked at DBs had a lot of discussion and this is an interesting marriage of ideas. Leaves a lot of options for how we might fill the needs on that side of the ball.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I put off looking at him because I always think the forum has a cute overrated view of Big-10 players (especially non-Ohio St ones since they actually pan out) and the general love of typical JAG Tyler Johnson last year....

..but I finally looked at Rashod Bateman and he has what it takes to be a #1 WR in the league. I like him.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Feb 2021 12:22
I put off looking at him because I always think the forum has a cute overrated view of Big-10 players (especially non-Ohio St ones since they actually pan out) and the general love of typical JAG Tyler Johnson last year....

..but I finally looked at Rashod Bateman and he has what it takes to be a #1 WR in the league. I like him.
Man, what is with you can guys like Texas just flat out insulting people who like people who happened to be big 10 players. I liked Tyler Johnson quite a bit, still do, low ceiling, high floor guy, but I think he’s gunna solid for a long time. Believe me, the fact that he went to fricken Minnesota of all places mattered absolutely zero to me.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I just know that people said Jared Abbrederis was a 3rd rounder who was a 5th round steal. And people thought Tyler Johnson was a 2nd or 3rd rounder who was a 5th round steal. Guys like Quentin Cephus get some hype.

But when I go look at any of them, they're JAGs lacking athletic ability. I'm not saying all Big 10 guys stink. But I am saying that when I see a Wisconsin-based forum get excited about "solid" guys and I compare them to talents around the country, there is very frequently a 2-round overrating of those Big 10 guys who try hard and run a 4.6 and never separate.

So when it comes to Big 10 non-Ohio St WRs, I take excitement with a grain of salt. It's not hate; it's valid experience and avoiding of groupthink. And honestly, Ohio St isn't immune either because Chris Olave is just a guy by all the film I've seen. Maybe I'm wrong and he Devonta Smiths next year after staying in school.

There are a lot of programs that are built on speed, explosion, spread out offenses and passing games. They are funneling WR talent to the NFL in large numbers.

And there aren't many of those in the Big 10. The Big 10 has better OLs and running games and the way to work in that conference is all-around teams with defense, running games, and blocking.

So yeah, when people are exposed to regional football think they love a WR around there that the rest of the world is taking for granted, I generally trust the rest of the world, because there's a track record of getting excited about "sleepers" who are actually perfectly normally ranked. Tyler Johnson was a wolf cry in my book, so the fact that they had another top prospect seemed unlikely. But they do.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Feb 2021 13:26
I just know that people said Jared Abbrederis was a 3rd rounder who was a 5th round steal. And people thought Tyler Johnson was a 2nd or 3rd rounder who was a 5th round steal. Guys like Quentin Cephus get some hype.

But when I go look at any of them, they're JAGs lacking athletic ability. I'm not saying all Big 10 guys stink. But I am saying that when I see a Wisconsin-based forum get excited about "solid" guys and I compare them to talents around the country, there is very frequently a 2-round overrating of those Big 10 guys who try hard and run a 4.6 and never separate.

So when it comes to Big 10 non-Ohio St WRs, I take excitement with a grain of salt. It's not hate; it's valid experience and avoiding of groupthink. And honestly, Ohio St isn't immune either because Chris Olave is just a guy by all the film I've seen. Maybe I'm wrong and he Devonta Smiths next year after staying in school.

There are a lot of programs that are built on speed, explosion, spread out offenses and passing games. They are funneling WR talent to the NFL in large numbers.

And there aren't many of those in the Big 10. The Big 10 has better OLs and running games and the way to work in that conference is all-around teams with defense, running games, and blocking.

So yeah, when people are exposed to regional football think they love a WR around there that the rest of the world is taking for granted, I generally trust the rest of the world, because there's a track record of getting excited about "sleepers" who are actually perfectly normally ranked. Tyler Johnson was a wolf cry in my book, so the fact that they had another top prospect seemed unlikely. But they do.
So is this a good time for me to say I like Whop Philyor as a 5th round pick for the Packers?

Or is he more of a 7th? ;)
Yoop wrote:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jan 2021 08:35
I am really starting to fall in love with both FL State's secondary prospect.

Asante Samual just has the swag and reminds me of Jaire. I want them two together. Check out Samuel taking out AJ Dillon here.

I also really like Hamsah Nasirildeen, Safety, Senior (6’4″, 212 pounds). Dude is more in line with the Raven Greene role where he would be the TE and RB cover guy as well as getting his nose in there to stop the run. He is not a Single high cover safety which honestly we would be lacking as Savage showed this year that it is not his best trait.

I could see both going Rd 1 but I could also see Hamsah falling because he was out basically all 2020. Again I just think there is loads of talent from that 25 to 40 range and I want to double dip.
That, plus the fact that Antoine Winfield Jr (a fellow son of a former player) was so good this year, is enough to sell me on Samuel.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

A good play, but ankle-biting is not really fearless. That said, I rather have a player who knows when he's out-matched and adjusts accordingly than one who stupidly gets himself killed, so it's just as well.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, Samuel Jr is a really nice fit for us in terms of play style, demeanor, and draft range. I think he's going to rightfully earn the board's draft crush status pretty emphatically this year.

One thing for sure is that we need twitch and hips at CB--that's what we're lacking in our current depth, which limits the roles for guys like Hollman, Jackson, and Sanford Samuels

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Just did a little work on Eskridge and wow I love hime more and more. I think he would be a star in green bay. He has so much steve Smith to him. Plays hard. Instant teams player. Id prefer him over Toney