JJ Watt

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Now back into hibernation.
Love is the answer…

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Couldn’t have expected to sign him with the cap being what it is. Maybe under normal situations there would be a chance. Would have been a huge upgrade over Preston who’s cap hit is more than Watts this year.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

lupedafiasco wrote:
01 Mar 2021 15:25
Couldn’t have expected to sign him with the cap being what it is. Maybe under normal situations there would be a chance. Would have been a huge upgrade over Preston who’s cap hit is more than Watts this year.
Cardinals get Chandler Jones back from injury and now have Watt for two years. QB Murray is off his rookie deal in 2 years.... signing makes sense for them.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Mar 2021 14:30
Does anyone think less of Wisconsin’s chosen son now that he had a chance to come home and help bring a title to his beloved home state, the home town team needed him, the title chance was legit, and he chose a big paycheck somewhere else?

Not that I think we should think less of him, but some people here love the guy so much bc of his Roots i was just curious if him having the chance to come here and saying no thanks impacts any perceptions of him.
scum bag traiter :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
Does anyone think less of Wisconsin’s chosen son now that he had a chance to come home and help bring a title to his beloved home state, the home town team needed him, the title chance was legit, and he chose a big paycheck somewhere else?

Not that I think we should think less of him, but some people here love the guy so much bc of his Roots i was just curious if him having the chance to come here and saying no thanks impacts any perceptions of him.
I'm not from Wisconsin.

But yes.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:

Not really. He wanted to be paid and we couldn't give him that kind of coin. I guess going for a ring wasn't a priority for him at this point in his career.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Drj820 wrote:

It doesn't change my opinion of him. I would do just as he is. The Packers weren't going to be able to pay him the kind of money he is getting from the Cardinals. Actually, I don't get why anyone would care what direction he took with his life. It IS his life after all.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Attachments
FAB9482C-8286-405A-88B0-E5E7BE73745A.png
FAB9482C-8286-405A-88B0-E5E7BE73745A.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 537 times
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Drj820 wrote:

Again, this implies premises that are just false in today's NFL. You'd have to go back 100 years that a guy like JJ would choose his fatherland before mammon (and even that's a crude comparison because back then a contract would not have an impact as of today). Of course there are some very rare exceptions, e.g. Pat Tillmann. This guy was truly something else. I rate him above anyone for what he did, even Lombardi, Lambeau and the whole Packers.

As for a ring, there are more examples, but mostly these guys basically chase the money in a different way like: now $ 10 Mio. with my worn out team or now $ 5 Mio. with team B and a ring that leads to $ 20 Mio. eventually which balances out the high risk to get to a SB and win it.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

German_Panzer wrote:
01 Mar 2021 20:26
Drj820 wrote:

Again, this implies premises that are just false in today's NFL. You'd have to go back 100 years that a guy like JJ would choose his fatherland before mammon (and even that's a crude comparison because back then a contract would not have an impact as of today). Of course there are some very rare exceptions, e.g. Pat Tillmann. This guy was truly something else. I rate him above anyone for what he did, even Lombardi, Lambeau and the whole Packers.

As for a ring, there are more examples, but mostly these guys basically chase the money in a different way like: now $ 10 Mio. with my worn out team or now $ 5 Mio. with team B and a ring that leads to $ 20 Mio. eventually which balances out the high risk to get to a SB and win it.
Well I wasn’t asking bc my opinion had changed of him. I’ve always thought he was kind of corny and fully expected him to get a kick out of the attention he got during FA and then ñot come to GB.

But there were people who really thought he might take less to come back home, so I was just wondering if their opinion of him changed when he chose to take what looks like top dollar

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I don't think any more or less of the guy, but the argument that we can't or shouldn't expect anyone to take less money ever is just silly, honestly

First, TONS of guys take less money to play where they want to; usually not a LOT less, but it's a fairly common thing.

That's ESPECIALLY true of late career guys who want to finish their careers with certain teams. Comparable offers are good enough. It happens plenty; it's not some once-in-a-century move.

And the notion of guys maximizing every ounce of money they can get applies not at all to players who have $100+ million career earnings. It's not the same equation. Aaron Jones should probably take as much money as he can because for a RB, this might be his only full-value contract opportunity.

But a guy who's already banked more than he'll need is in full control of his own destiny. It's not a good thing or a bad thing to value money more than location more than team success; it's just different preferences. No judgement. But don't act like there are no players who can or would or do have different preferences when faced with similar choices.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Mar 2021 20:52
I don't think any more or less of the guy, but the argument that we can't or shouldn't expect anyone to take less money ever is just silly, honestly

First, TONS of guys take less money to play where they want to; usually not a LOT less, but it's a fairly common thing.

That's ESPECIALLY true of late career guys who want to finish their careers with certain teams. Comparable offers are good enough. It happens plenty; it's not some once-in-a-century move.

And the notion of guys maximizing every ounce of money they can get applies not at all to players who have $100+ million career earnings. It's not the same equation. Aaron Jones should probably take as much money as he can because for a RB, this might be his only full-value contract opportunity.

But a guy who's already banked more than he'll need is in full control of his own destiny. It's not a good thing or a bad thing to value money more than location more than team success; it's just different preferences. No judgement. But don't act like there are no players who can or would or do have different preferences when faced with similar choices.
Be interested to see a list of players that could get more money but don't.

I can't think of many.

For Tampa the only consideration may be AB but no one wanted or was paying AB.

Gronk got over 9mil.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
01 Mar 2021 21:21

I can't think of many.
They usually don't make big headlines; it's usually a year or two later we hear that such and such a team offered more but he declined. It's literally constant. Maybe it's only 1 to 3 percent of all players on a second contract, but it's certainly not one or twom players ever. It happens ALL the time.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Mar 2021 21:26
bud fox wrote:

I can't think of many.
They usually don't make big headlines; it's usually a year or two later we hear that such and such a team offered more but he declined. It's literally constant. Maybe it's only 1 to 3 percent of all players on a second contract, but it's certainly not one or twom players ever. It happens ALL the time.
Suh has done it every year after he got rich and robbed the Dolphins. Tons of vets (like JJ) do it often. Teams like the Jets will always pay a vet big money, but many times they would rather go try to win a ring before retirement.

I agree with everything you said YoHo and would also add that many players bring conversations on themselves. For instance, a player like JJ talks about how all he wants to do it win. He talks about how at this stage in his career it is "all about winning", then all the winners would be happy to have him but cannot pay him what a losing or average team can pay him...and he chooses the 8-8 team and the money.

Its all good, i support his ability to go get rich and am happy for him! It just makes me think he was kinda full of it with all his rhetoric.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I'm glad we didn't sign him for that price. He's more of the same loser mentality we have enough of here already. Now let's go get Richard Sherman and draft Asante Jr. Also speaking of Suh, it would be nice if we could get him too. We want assholes.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
02 Mar 2021 01:52
I'm glad we didn't sign him for that price. He's more of the same loser mentality we have enough of here already. Now let's go get Richard Sherman and draft Asante Jr. Also speaking of Suh, it would be nice if we could get him too. We want assholes.
No, you want assholes, and thugs, and criminals, and cheap shot artist, your the person that wants these people dont include the rest of us, this isn't a WE thing, it's your thing, and you spout it in every post.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:

For Tampa the only consideration may be AB but no one wanted or was paying AB.
Uh. We did.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

texas wrote:
02 Mar 2021 01:52
Sherman made $8 million last year in SF but has said he will not return to the 9ers this year. Jaire is making $3 million per year. I'd rather give Jaire that than a 33 year old CB.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

See? We didn't want him anyway.

RIP JustJeff

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

paco wrote:
02 Mar 2021 11:45
See? We didn't want him anyway.

Sounds like "sour grapes" to me.