Coaches & GM Pressers Today

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Yoop wrote:
03 Mar 2021 12:31
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
03 Mar 2021 12:05
Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Mar 2021 10:54
Change the scheme. If the scheme requires a good 4th OLB and you don't have that... Not simple, but may have provided a better result. Unless we are playing 3 DL and 2 OLBs, the scheme shouldn't require an OLB to drop in the first place.

Pettine wasn't He Shall Not be Named bad, but he made some poor decisions this past year.
How dare you suggest that it is the responsibility of coaches to put players in a position to succeed.
we hear comments like this regularly from some of you, please inform us how Pettine could have accomplished what you ask, come on now, where all ears?
All ears and no brain.

I'll pass.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
03 Mar 2021 12:53
Yoop wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

How dare you suggest that it is the responsibility of coaches to put players in a position to succeed.
we hear comments like this regularly from some of you, please inform us how Pettine could have accomplished what you ask, come on now, where all ears?
All ears and no brain.

I'll pass.
since you have no answer, then a insult will have to do, so typical of those that complain about coaching.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
03 Mar 2021 11:50
YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Mar 2021 11:06
I'm listening to these now and it's very clear that Joe Barry is not particularly used to beat reporters who know football. He's like blown away by the level of detail in the questions and explaining things from the ground up. I know he's been a lot of places, but can't help but chuckle at what the L.A. media must've given him, haha
I think it's smart to show respect to beat reporters as soon as possible :lol: which is how I took some of Barry's answers, and Barry didn't refer to the nickle spot as the star player, dougherty did, I thought Barry answered the questions the best he could, it's hard to say to much until you know better the players he'll have to work with, we moved Woodson in and out depending on the match ups, if you have a offense with a stud slot receiver, then you need a nickle that can defend him, for instance why watch a guy like Sullivan burned over and over just so Alexander can shut down there #1, I bet that that some of those #1's could be covered just as well with one of our other corners, Know what I mean?
Oh yeah, I liked it too. I didn't mean it as a negative about Barry or the beat reporters. He just seemed surprised that the reporters had, like, done some research into his scheme and asked scheme-specific questions about what he intended to do rather than very shallow, soundbyte questions. And it seemed to be a bit of a shock to Barry in a way that made me chuckle.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Mar 2021 13:04
Yoop wrote:
03 Mar 2021 11:50
YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Mar 2021 11:06
I'm listening to these now and it's very clear that Joe Barry is not particularly used to beat reporters who know football. He's like blown away by the level of detail in the questions and explaining things from the ground up. I know he's been a lot of places, but can't help but chuckle at what the L.A. media must've given him, haha
I think it's smart to show respect to beat reporters as soon as possible :lol: which is how I took some of Barry's answers, and Barry didn't refer to the nickle spot as the star player, dougherty did, I thought Barry answered the questions the best he could, it's hard to say to much until you know better the players he'll have to work with, we moved Woodson in and out depending on the match ups, if you have a offense with a stud slot receiver, then you need a nickle that can defend him, for instance why watch a guy like Sullivan burned over and over just so Alexander can shut down there #1, I bet that that some of those #1's could be covered just as well with one of our other corners, Know what I mean?
Oh yeah, I liked it too. I didn't mean it as a negative about Barry or the beat reporters. He just seemed surprised that the reporters had, like, done some research into his scheme and asked scheme-specific questions about what he intended to do rather than very shallow, soundbyte questions. And it seemed to be a bit of a shock to Barry in a way that made me chuckle.
I think that's just how he is. Genuinely congenial and outgoing. Seemed to really want to know who was asking each question. It was pretty funny though and only lends to my "Dad" nickname for him. Of course, in my narrow definition of "Dad" as a middle-aged, white, suburban dude sitting behind his grill. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

after listening to all these pressers, one thing that shocked me, is that Lafluer and Barry must have ordered lunch and supper catered in, I mean 14 hrs of interviews had to build up a appetite :lol: what the heck did they talk about for 14 hrs?

I suppose dropping from 300 pressures from 2019 to less then 180 in 220 would kill off a hr or so.

The decline of the Green Bay Packers’ pass-rush in 2020 involves many factors, but a lack of production from outside linebacker Preston Smith is certainly one of the headlining acts.

Smith, who finished with 55 pressures and 12.0 sacks for the Packers a year ago, has just seven pressures and a half-sack through five games to start 2020.

After five games last season, Smith had 24 pressures, including 5.5 sacks and 10 quarterback hits. Of his seven pressures in 2020, only two have involved hitting the quarterback.

Playing time and role aren’t to blame. Smith has been on the field for 87 percent of the defense’s snaps in 2020, up three percent from last season. And he’s dropped into coverage 51 times, the exact number he dropped through five games last season.

Smith just isn’t affecting the passer. Pro Football Focus tracks a stat called “Pass Rushing Productivity,” which measures pressure rate per snap, weighted toward sacks. Among the 60 edge rushers with at least 100 pass-rushing snaps this season, Smith ranks 56th in Pass Rushing Productivity. He was 14th last season.

The decline in Smith’s pass-rushing production reflects a worrying trend for the 2020 Packers. Mike Pettine’s defense isn’t pressuring quarterbacks at nearly the same rate or volume as last season.

Preston Smith, Za’Darius Smith and Kenny Clark have just 20 combined pressures in five games. Clark missed 3.5 games with a groin injury and still doesn’t have a pressure. Za’Darius Smith, who led the NFL in total pressures in 2019, has just 13 over the first five games. Together, the three combined for over 200 total pressures last season.

The Packers had over 300 total pressures in 2019 but are on pace for just 169 in 2020.

According to ESPN, the Packers rank 29th in the NFL in Pass Rush Win Rate at 34 percent. The top five teams in the rankings are all over 50 percent.

It can probably be assumed that Za’Darius Smith and Kenny Clark will eventually reassert themselves as difference-makers. They are too talented and too versatile as pass-rushing weapons to be held down for long. But the Packers are a defense built around disruption, and fully unlocking the pass-rush will require more from Preston Smith.

The final 11 games of 2020 will be important for No. 91. He has a $4 million roster bonus in March, on the third league day of 2021. The Packers are going to have tough financial decisions to make this spring, and releasing or trading Preston Smith could provide some relief. His cap hit is scheduled to be $16 million in 2021. The Packers want that decision to be a tough one in March. Smith isn’t making it any harder to start 2020.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Mar 2021 10:54
Change the scheme. If the scheme requires a good 4th OLB and you don't have that... Not simple, but may have provided a better result. Unless we are playing 3 DL and 2 OLBs, the scheme shouldn't require an OLB to drop in the first place.

Pettine wasn't He Shall Not be Named bad, but he made some poor decisions this past year.
I suspect Ghost was being facetious.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
03 Mar 2021 17:49
Yoop wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

I suspect Ghost was being facetious.
:rotf: :rotf:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.