Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Big Ben goes way low to help the Steelers resign assets
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
04 Mar 2021 17:05
That’s not the real reason.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Mar 2021 19:03
Drj820 wrote:
I doubt he had to go that low. What better options did they have?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
04 Mar 2021 19:40
lupedafiasco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
He gave up $5M. While no small sum, it's not like he sacrificed a huge amount. He put himself in a good position to guarantee himself a spot this year with past restructures. If his number wasn't so high, Steelers would have just dumped him. This helps them with some of their cap problems, but not all.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
04 Mar 2021 19:40
lupedafiasco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
He was literally so bad last year that the Steelers came this close to cutting him. His contract was even worse than his play, though, so basically, with the $4M shave it is cheaper to keep him than to cut him. I assure you the Steelers are not loving their QB situation heading into this season and all things being equal, Ben would not be on that team.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
05 Mar 2021 08:17
He was literally so bad last year that the Steelers came this close to cutting him. His contract was even worse than his play, though, so basically, with the $4M shave it is cheaper to keep him than to cut him. I assure you the Steelers are not loving their QB situation heading into this season and all things being equal, Ben would not be on that team.
They have to draft one early this year, right? Like, they HAVE to.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Mar 2021 09:04
NCF wrote:
Lets not forget, they did pick up Dwayne Haskins. So they've got that going for them.
As for drafting one, by the time they pick, nobody will be left to select. Unless they move up in the draft.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
NCF wrote:
They've spent a lot of draft picks on QB's in rounds like 2-4 the past few years, haven't they? I feel like its been about 3 times in the past 5-6 years. Clearly they have nothing to show for it, but they have been moderately trying. Good QB's are simply hard to find.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
NCF wrote:
at slot 24 they'll be looking at the #4 or 5th rated QB, some think 5 will go in round one. love it, that will push a couple players down toward our slot :aok:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Man many of you guys have a far worse picture of Big Ben than i do. I dont see him as any kind of elite anymore, but midpack? Totally. I feel the steelers had to bring him back at any number that just wasnt outrageous because he is the best they could do in 2021 by far.

The steelers WRs dropped tons of balls, he had nice stats, they started 11-0, and they had 0 run game. They put a ton on ben last year. Majority of teams could not have survived that long with no OL and no run game. I think this deal is a win for both sides.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Pitt is in a bad spot. Bad cap situation. Aged QB with elbow issues who doesn't take care of his body. No successor on the roster. Not enough draft capital to move up for a QB for the future.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Christo wrote:
05 Mar 2021 09:20
YoHoChecko wrote:
NCF wrote:
Lets not forget, they did pick up Dwayne Haskins. So they've got that going for them.
As for drafting one, by the time they pick, nobody will be left to select. Unless they move up in the draft.
Haskins probably has a little more high end potential, but only shreds of it left. Not sure he is any better than Mason Rudolph.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Mar 2021 09:27
The steelers WRs dropped tons of balls, he had nice stats, they started 11-0, and they had 0 run game. They put a ton on ben last year. Majority of teams could not have survived that long with no OL and no run game. I think this deal is a win for both sides.
Yeah, they started 11-0, but went 1-4 down the stretch and then lost a wildcard playoff game. I caught a few of those and sure looked to me like Ben was pretty done.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
05 Mar 2021 09:28
Pitt is in a bad spot. Bad cap situation. Aged QB with elbow issues who doesn't take care of his body. No successor on the roster. Not enough draft capital to move up for a QB for the future.
I think the thing that makes it bad is that they're still good enough on defense to believe they can compete--both last year and this upcoming year--so it's difficult to balance when to take a small step back to reload. I think this is the year to do it, honestly.

I'd consider trading back from 24 a bit, taking a flier on Kyle Trask with the later pick, stocking the hell out of their OL picks, get a cheap RB upgrade from John Connor on Day 2 or 3... figure out who you want to keep on your current roster, handle the cap by either eating the dead money asap or extending/pushing out your core players into future years, and expect a mediocre season next year in which you either use your top pick (again) on a QB successor to compete with/replace Trask depending on his progress (or at least give you another swing at getting the most important position right) and getting yourself as many picks as possible to restock a roster that will need an infusion of cheap young labor.

Every bad scenario is an opportunity to shape your future. :)

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

If a QBs arm is dead it’s time to move on. You have no chance of winning a super bowl with that. Playoff defenses will limit the already limited field you have to work with because they know you can’t stretch a defense or fit passes into tight windows.

Might as well try and get a young guy or blow it up, move current assets for future assets and tank a season.

Look at the Saints. They’ll compete. Probably even push for a division title. In the playoffs if you can’t make the throws you’re done and honestly just wasting everyone’s time.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i guess i just dont think his arm is totally dead. He was throwing an ungodly amount due to having no run game whatsoever. Considering the options they have available, it seems like a no brainer to bring ben back at a fair rate to me, get healthy on defense, and try hard to get some balance in the offense and be able to run the ball.

Great D, with some running game, and bens current ability is worth running it back once more in my opinion.

I think he was asked to do alot the year after elbow surgery, i dont think they set him up for any kind of success. You cant win playoff games with no run game and that many injuries on defense. I dont blame ben for that. Again, i dont think hes elite...but midlevel..totally.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Nope, makes too much sense to happen.

RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Mar 2021 10:05
i guess i just dont think his arm is totally dead. He was throwing an ungodly amount due to having no run game whatsoever. Considering the options they have available, it seems like a no brainer to bring ben back at a fair rate to me, get healthy on defense, and try hard to get some balance in the offense and be able to run the ball.

Great D, with some running game, and bens current ability is worth running it back once more in my opinion.

I think he was asked to do alot the year after elbow surgery, i dont think they set him up for any kind of success. You cant win playoff games with no run game and that many injuries on defense. I dont blame ben for that. Again, i dont think hes elite...but midlevel..totally.
Ben has the savvy and football IQ and intelligence to play kinda middle of the pack, but he's basically Chad Pennington at this point. The balls arrive slow, they flutter. Making a few really good throws a game doesn't mean his arm isn't shot. It just means he's adjusting well. But that sort of thing seems unlikely to reverse.

Tom Brady and late-stage Peyton Manning showed that you can win with flutterballs and top notch instincts, but those are with guys who are literally all-time, world's best at processing the game. Ben is on the way out. His arm is failing him. It's not going to reverse. He can squeak through another year but his replacement needs to be found asap.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

paco wrote:
05 Mar 2021 10:12
Nope, makes too much sense to happen.

Yeah, it's clear the NFL has no interest in seeing the correct call is being made. They and TV want drama and controversy, and bad or no calls give them that.
On a side note, say the league does have " Sky Judges " How long before somebody calls for judges to oversee the Sky judges?

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Just institute a "Do over"..... :lol:

Worked when I was 9 and we played football at recess.