Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Christo wrote:
05 Mar 2021 11:16
paco wrote:
05 Mar 2021 10:12
Nope, makes too much sense to happen.

Yeah, it's clear the NFL has no interest in seeing the correct call is being made. They and TV want drama and controversy, and bad or no calls give them that.
On a side note, say the league does have " Sky Judges " How long before somebody calls for judges to oversee the Sky judges?
Apparently this did have some support last year when brought up. And it wouldn't surprise me Christo. After Sky Judges we get Satellite Judges. Then Moon Judges.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Mar 2021 11:01
Drj820 wrote:
05 Mar 2021 10:05
i guess i just dont think his arm is totally dead. He was throwing an ungodly amount due to having no run game whatsoever. Considering the options they have available, it seems like a no brainer to bring ben back at a fair rate to me, get healthy on defense, and try hard to get some balance in the offense and be able to run the ball.

Great D, with some running game, and bens current ability is worth running it back once more in my opinion.

I think he was asked to do alot the year after elbow surgery, i dont think they set him up for any kind of success. You cant win playoff games with no run game and that many injuries on defense. I dont blame ben for that. Again, i dont think hes elite...but midlevel..totally.
Ben has the savvy and football IQ and intelligence to play kinda middle of the pack, but he's basically Chad Pennington at this point. The balls arrive slow, they flutter. Making a few really good throws a game doesn't mean his arm isn't shot. It just means he's adjusting well. But that sort of thing seems unlikely to reverse.

Tom Brady and late-stage Peyton Manning showed that you can win with flutterballs and top notch instincts, but those are with guys who are literally all-time, world's best at processing the game. Ben is on the way out. His arm is failing him. It's not going to reverse. He can squeak through another year but his replacement needs to be found asap.
Def agree it is time to make plans for the future. Just feel like out of the options for 2021, at the rate they agreed to, it IS the best move to bring him back for one more year. IMO.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
05 Mar 2021 11:27
Christo wrote:
paco wrote:
05 Mar 2021 10:12
Nope, makes too much sense to happen.

Yeah, it's clear the NFL has no interest in seeing the correct call is being made. They and TV want drama and controversy, and bad or no calls give them that.
On a side note, say the league does have " Sky Judges " How long before somebody calls for judges to oversee the Sky judges?
Apparently this did have some support last year when brought up. And it wouldn't surprise me Christo. After Sky Judges we get Satellite Judges. Then Moon Judges.
It does make some sense, though, right? I really don't know why, in this day in age, it is not already a thing. As long as it doesn't slow down the game, but I don't think it will. A lot of very simple information can be sent down, too, and qualified with definitive, probable, and too close to call opinions. Like really, "From the TV copy, it sure looks like the ball comes out before his knee goes down, but it is close." That is good information if no one had a definitive view from the field. Give the information and use it to help formulate the call.

And speaking of technology, how is it we can do 8 billion things with player tracking, but still cannot accurately spot a ball on the field or accurately measure for a first down?

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Tons of sense. It needs to happen. The NFL is way too slow to adopt new technology. Wasn't it just a couple of years ago they used a piece of paper in between the ball the the chains to see if there was a first down? Insanity. It's all centered around money, of course. Who's going to pay for it. Right now, we are paying for it, by watching crap calls constantly. It's annoying and needs to stop. Quit penny-pinching and FIX IT!
RIP JustJeff

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Re: Sky judges

If the NFL wants drama, then here's my million dollar idea*:

A national vote will pick a panel of 5 judges (one has to be a sassy Brit). These judges will be seated on the "NFL Supreme Court". Every Tuesday or Wednesday during the season, they will have a 2 hour live primetime debate covering each game. The court will have the power to enforce fines, penalties, and retroactively change the result of any game, including the SuperBowl. Finally, football justice! No more will you have to lament the missed calls! Be sure to check out our special Week 3 episode where we ask: Who is the masked judge? Find out Tuesday Sept. 21 at 8e/7c on FOX!

*Disclaimer: Not actually a good idea. Do not read this post. Do not even think about it. :nono:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
05 Mar 2021 12:55
Re: Sky judges

If the NFL wants drama, then here's my million dollar idea*:

A national vote will pick a panel of 5 judges (one has to be a sassy Brit). These judges will be seated on the "NFL Supreme Court". Every Tuesday or Wednesday during the season, they will have a 2 hour live primetime debate covering each game. The court will have the power to enforce fines, penalties, and retroactively change the result of any game, including the SuperBowl. Finally, football justice! No more will you have to lament the missed calls! Be sure to check out our special Week 3 episode where we ask: Who is the masked judge? Find out Tuesday Sept. 21 at 8e/7c on FOX!

*Disclaimer: Not actually a good idea. Do not read this post. Do not even think about it. :nono:
ha ha, I read it. Where's the downvote button? :lol:
RIP JustJeff

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

paco wrote:
05 Mar 2021 13:21
ha ha, I read it. Where's the downvote button? :lol:
Spoiler
- Vince Lombardi

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

NCF wrote:
05 Mar 2021 12:11
paco wrote:
05 Mar 2021 11:27
Christo wrote:

It does make some sense, though, right? I really don't know why, in this day in age, it is not already a thing. As long as it doesn't slow down the game, but I don't think it will. A lot of very simple information can be sent down, too, and qualified with definitive, probable, and too close to call opinions. Like really, "From the TV copy, it sure looks like the ball comes out before his knee goes down, but it is close." That is good information if no one had a definitive view from the field. Give the information and use it to help formulate the call.

And speaking of technology, how is it we can do 8 billion things with player tracking, but still cannot accurately spot a ball on the field or accurately measure for a first down?
One thing is certain, if the league says it's going to speed up the game, rest assured it's going to slow it down.

As for technology, I'm sure it's been tossed around. But maybe a chip in the ball that can be set up to the grid of the field so that accurate markings can be made?
I guess the problem is all of the pounding the ball takes during the game can affect the chip.
And of course someone will claim Bill Belichick hacked into the system and jammed the signal.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I don’t care if the games getting sped up, slowed down, turned upside down.

Get the damn calls right and stop putting a bad product in the field.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

GPS should replace the chains. Chains as back up should technology fail.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
06 Mar 2021 09:50
I don't think chains are the problem, it's the spotting of the ball.
I can't count how many times I've watched an official move a ball back or forward when it's clearly not where the play ended. happens every game.

Another review should be the fumbling the ball out of the end zone call.
I don't understand why the defense should be given the ball at the 20 for really doing nothing. If you want to spot the ball at the 1 yard line, that makes more sense to me.

Same goes for the kickoff rule. Why should the offense get the ball at the 25 as opposed to the 20? You reward a team for doing nothing, don't understand it at all.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Christo wrote:
06 Mar 2021 10:46

I can't count how many times I've watched an official move a ball back or forward when it's clearly not where the play ended. happens every game.
I agree. It's not the chains that I question. It is the spotting of the ball and whether the ref is generous or not. There are so many spots that are like a yard off. That needs to improve.
Christo wrote:
I don't understand why the defense should be given the ball at the 20 for really doing nothing. If you want to spot the ball at the 1 yard line, that makes more sense to me.
How about don't fumble near the endzone? I really have no issue with this one. In an era of football where EVERYTHING is slanted towards the offense, this rule doesn't bother me. It sucks when it happens to you...but be careful with the football. Because otherwise all you need to do is just break that plain which makes it super easy for the offense. You have to give the offense SOME risk.

Christo wrote:
Same goes for the kickoff rule. Why should the offense get the ball at the 25 as opposed to the 20? You reward a team for doing nothing, don't understand it at all.
That is the whole point of this rule. The NFL intentionally is trying to take away the kickoff for safety and I don't hate that.

However, when you really suck at kickoff return and coverage, like we do, we still see a ton of returns by opponents and forced returns for us. And we fail at both.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
06 Mar 2021 11:19
Christo wrote:

I agree. It's not the chains that I question. It is the spotting of the ball and whether the ref is generous or not. There are so many spots that are like a yard off. That needs to improve.
Christo wrote:
How about don't fumble near the endzone? I really have no issue with this one. In an era of football where EVERYTHING is slanted towards the offense, this rule doesn't bother me. It sucks when it happens to you...but be careful with the football. Because otherwise all you need to do is just break that plain which makes it super easy for the offense. You have to give the offense SOME risk.

Christo wrote:
That is the whole point of this rule. The NFL intentionally is trying to take away the kickoff for safety and I don't hate that.

However, when you really suck at kickoff return and coverage, like we do, we still see a ton of returns by opponents and forced returns for us. And we fail at both.
Never thought anyone ever planned on fumbling the ball no matter where they are on the field. It happens, but giving the opposing team free yardage is stupid.
As for kickoff returns, if we're really trying to eliminate injuries, just do away with the kickoff altogether. And if the point is to prevent injuries, lets stop playing the game because something bad might happen to someone.
People seem to forget, it's a violent game and when people run as fast as they can and slam into each other, an injury might take place.

It's been brought up here before, if tackling were taught correctly, there would be fewer injuries.

I have plenty of beefs with the NFL. But every rule change favors the offense and I really don't see why. It's not as though scoring has been down.
So giving yardage when it's something that's not earned is right at the top.

And since I'm ranting, the facemask rule has got to be looked at again. Flags are being thrown for just touching a facemask.
If memory serves me, Rashan Gary was flagged for lightly touching Dak Prescott's helmet. Something that couldn't harm him in a million years.

In no way shape or form does this help or prevent injuries from happening. It's just become an excuse to help the offense and keep drives alive.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Christo wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

Agreed, spotting can be questionable even at the best of times. Then they get a huge scrum on short yardage plays and who knows where the ball is?

I disagree on the end zone rule. That end zone belongs to the defense, they are defending their territory. Therefore, if you fumble the ball out of it, you've essentially abandoned it in enemy territory. It's like leaving your car in a no-parking zone and expecting the police not to tow it.

I'm not a fan of the 25 yard touchback, or the new kickoff spot. Punt plays don't have an undue injury risk, so why can't they modify the kickoffs to result in more (safe) returns?
- Vince Lombardi

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Christo wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

The technology exists to put microchips in the balls and sensors on the field to ensure exact placement of the ball or if the ball is inbounds or crossed the goalline.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

GPS means the ball can be spotted perfectly.

If that fails, then you use the chains (which means humans spot and measure). The chains aren't animate.

I swear to God some of you are purposely dense to create argument.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
06 Mar 2021 12:41

If that fails, then you use the chains (which means humans spot and measure). The chains aren't animate.

You make it sound as if GPS is accurate to the inch, it's not.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Christo wrote:
06 Mar 2021 13:07
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

In a small environment such as a football field, you absolutely can make it accurate down to the inch.

Edit: You wouldn't use geosynchronous satellites, obviously, but it's basically the same technology.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

GPS is not needed, a field position system based on sensors in the ball and field that doesn’t involve satellites would be better.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

APB wrote:
06 Mar 2021 13:27
Christo wrote:
06 Mar 2021 13:07
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

In a small environment such as a football field, you absolutely can make it accurate down to the inch.

Edit: You wouldn't use geosynchronous satellites, obviously, but it's basically the same technology.
And what's the cost for this? Because as a tax payer I'm getting of picking up the tab for all of this nonsense.

If anyone here really thinks the owners are going to pay for this is insane.