Aaron Jones Watch

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

You know James White, the guy who scored the game winning TD in the Super Bowl a few years back. Many thought he should have been Super Bowl MVP that year.

Would be a cheap third down back.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If we lose Jones, in this salary tight offseason, gotta add a guy like Jamal Williams or James White back at vet min.

I think Williams offers much more at this point, maybe a bit worse in the passing game, hard to compare their pass blocking, but Williams is good, and Williams can carry the rock 20+ times if called upon.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Feb 2021 08:58
You know James White, the guy who scored the game winning TD in the Super Bowl a few years back. Many thought he should have been Super Bowl MVP that year.

I remember that White. Former Badger guy. Is he available? I hadn't heard a thing about that. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention. lol
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

No tag for Jones.

So the Packers have until next Monday to negotiate (if they want to) or Jones becomes a UFA.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

salmar80 wrote:
09 Mar 2021 16:00
No tag for Jones.

So the Packers have until next Monday to negotiate (if they want to) or Jones becomes a UFA.
Does he get Sam Shields'd? I doubt it. Someone is going to pay him.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Tough to franchise him when we are still over the cap as it stands right now.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Mar 2021 16:30
Saints just did it for a safety so must be allowable.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lake shark wrote:
09 Mar 2021 16:33
Pckfn23 wrote:
It's definitely allowable, but by March 17th they need to be under the cap. They have to have plans to purge their roster, tag and restructure, or trade him. As it stands at $185 million, they are $55 million over. They are quite literally in cap hell and are most likely resigned to not being competitive this year.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Mar 2021 16:50
lake shark wrote:
09 Mar 2021 16:33
Pckfn23 wrote:
It's definitely allowable, but by March 17th they need to be under the cap. They have to have plans to purge their roster, tag and restructure, or trade him. As it stands at $185 million, they are $55 million over. They are quite literally in cap hell and are most likely resigned to not being competitive this year.
Hold onto your butts, it's gonna be a crazy week or two!

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Pckfn23 wrote:

I was JUST looking that up. 2016, 3 TDs. I thought he should have been MVP. Granted he's a few years away from that type of production but I think he is a sure handed, reliable RB and would be a great #3 (I'm assuming it will be Dillion & Williams as our 1/2).

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lulu wrote:
09 Mar 2021 19:19
Pckfn23 wrote:

I was JUST looking that up. 2016, 3 TDs. I thought he should have been MVP. Granted he's a few years away from that type of production but I think he is a sure handed, reliable RB and would be a great #3 (I'm assuming it will be Dillion & Williams as our 1/2).
I would surprised if we bring Williams back unless it's a vet minimum deal. I think the Packers try to go CHEAP at running back.

I bet it's AJ, a near vet minimum deal and a rookie.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, it's VERY difficult for me to imagine, say, thinking Williams is worth $4 million but not being able to find that extra $4.5 million for Jones.

If you can't franchise Jones at a bargain, then you're probably trying not to pay RBs

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I get the financial side of the RB decisions but, man, do I hate seeing those two guys walk. They were good players, fun-loving team mates, and ideal citizens. They earned a second contract. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that second contract will be with the Packers. And again, I get why.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Mar 2021 06:54
Yeah, it's VERY difficult for me to imagine, say, thinking Williams is worth $4 million but not being able to find that extra $4.5 million for Jones.

If you can't franchise Jones at a bargain, then you're probably trying not to pay RBs
IMO the team is showing respect to Jones, to tag him knowing they can't work out a long term deal will send a bad message, forcing him to take the risk of injury for 8 m when he can probably get a 3 year 36 mil. deal says we don't care about the future of the player, best just to let him go.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
10 Mar 2021 07:02
I get the financial side of the RB decisions but, man, do I hate seeing those two guys walk. They were good players, good team mates, and good citizens. They earned a second contract. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that second contract will be with the Packers. And again, I get why.
I'm feeling the same way. Like I wish RBs just didn't get paid much and we could keep these two as long as they can play

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Mar 2021 07:09
APB wrote:
I get the financial side of the RB decisions but, man, do I hate seeing those two guys walk. They were good players, good team mates, and good citizens. They earned a second contract. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that second contract will be with the Packers. And again, I get why.
I'm feeling the same way. Like I wish RBs just didn't get paid much and we could keep these two as long as they can play
I know I'am crying over spilt milk here, imo McCarthy wasted cheap production from Jones, even Rodgers hinted that we needed to run more at the end of Jones rookie season, he didn't mention Jones specifically but he's not blind, he obviously new Jones could be a big contributor with more touches.

I could see the team paying Williams on a 1 year contract, he knows the system and his fit in it, Williams is a quality #2 RB, pretty goo9d receiver and fights for every yard.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
10 Mar 2021 07:17
YoHoChecko wrote:
APB wrote:
I know I'am crying over spilt milk here, imo McCarthy wasted cheap production from Jones, even Rodgers hinted that we needed to run more at the end of Jones rookie season, he didn't mention Jones specifically but he's not blind, he obviously new Jones could be a big contributor with more touches.
I guess I don't get the hand wringing of how the Packers handled Aaron Jones in 2017 and 2018 when we weren't gonna do anything those years anyways.

If there is anything I am pissed or sad about the Aaron Jones era it is how he didn't contribute in either of our NFCCG's.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
I get the financial side of the RB decisions but, man, do I hate seeing those two guys walk. They were good players, fun-loving team mates, and ideal citizens. They earned a second contract. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that second contract will be with the Packers. And again, I get why.
Absolutely.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
APB wrote:
I'm the other way around.

Like I wish top WRs didn't command over $25 million. I wish QB's didn't command over $35 million. I wish pass rushers didn't command around $20 million and we could just have all these guys at around $12 million instead.

Like it doesn't give me pleasure that Aaron Jones deserves to be a low paid guy because he plays a certain position group when he is doing just as much work and likely more impactful than most on our team....yet we only want to pay him a Dean Lowry wage.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
10 Mar 2021 07:53
Yoop wrote:
10 Mar 2021 07:17
YoHoChecko wrote:

I guess I don't get the hand wringing of how the Packers handled Aaron Jones in 2017 and 2018 when we weren't gonna do anything those years anyways.

If there is anything I am pissed or sad about the Aaron Jones era it is how he didn't contribute in either of our NFCCG's.
well hind sight is 20/20, and thats what your using when you say 017 and 018 where spoiler years, add in a 1000 yrds from Jones and those two seasons could have turned out better.

then you blame Jones for not producing against two of the best run stop defenses in the league in SF and Tampa, hardly Joneses fault that the OL couldn't open holes.

I love how people say never give a RB a 2nd contract, yet support them riding pine for 2 of there 4 rookie seasons.