4th and Goal @ the 8 (~2 minutes remain)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
27 Jan 2021 15:39
it's so insane to man up King against Evans with no over the top support designated to back him up that it lacks rationality, but I guess it was,
It wasn't Evans, it was Scotty Miller. Pretty clear the Bucs wanted their speedster, Miller, matched one-on-one against our lanky, long striding King. All Miller needed was a moments hesitation from King and he would be past him. King obliged and gave him several.

Evans would have actually been a better match-up for King.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

If you have a once in a lifetime player. A HOF QB the like of which you will never coach again. And if you have the best WR in the game today. A guy that will draw coverage away from others, if you can't get just scheme him open. And if you have a great TE. And you are in the #1 Offense. You've had two weeks to scheme the best play against TB when you need 8 - 10 yards. You can't take the ball out of AR's hands. You have a much better shot getting the 6 pts at that point and if you fail, you will have another chance if you get the stop. If you make it and miss the 2pts you still have a shot to get the ball back for the FG.

You can even fall short of the goal line on your play and set up a chance for a safety. If you still need pts the D stop doen't matter where it happens as long as it happens. Instead of kicking over the front line I'd rather see a shot for the 6% chance for the onside kick, or just pick a guy in the front row on TB and drill the ball as hard as Mason can straight at him. If it goes through you're at the same situation as in the game. If it is too fast and hard for him to handle you've got a shot at a loose ball. If he corrals it will you still need the stop anyway and you'll have 1:45 to take the ball all the way for the score.

But you have to have the confidence to hand the ball to your best player when you need it the most.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
27 Jan 2021 16:23
Yoop wrote:
27 Jan 2021 15:39
it's so insane to man up King against Evans with no over the top support designated to back him up that it lacks rationality, but I guess it was,
It wasn't Evans, it was Scotty Miller. Pretty clear the Bucs wanted their speedster, Miller, matched one-on-one against our lanky, long striding King. All Miller needed was a moments hesitation from King and he would be past him. King obliged and gave him several.

Evans would have actually been a better match-up for King.
:thwap: my bad, however wasn't it King who gave up that TD to Evans for Tampa's first TD, I have to go rewatch now, but that was from tighter off man, and whoever it was beat him just as quickly, pretty sure it was Evans, either way Terrible call against Miller.

In KIngs defense it's reported he has a back, or McCarthy slang for ruptured disc, pinched nerve or any other debilitating back problem :lol:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jan 2021 08:21
BF004 wrote:
27 Jan 2021 08:14
Ben Baldwin says go for it.

I trust him and his models over any other :P

So a 33% chance of actually converting the 4th and goal from the 8. Then say a 50% chance of making the 2 point. So a 16.5% chance of making both. I think that really needs to come into play to, not just scoring. The model might be right on chance of scoring the TD, but without 2 point, it is all for naught.

I wish we would have gone for it, but I don't have enough of an issue with the FG to get worked up over it.
How would these percentages look if Rodgers had run the ball on 3rd down with the ball placed at the 16 inch line after he was tackled out of bounds ........ with 4th and goal from the 16 inch line?
Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn!! Ripper!

Alright ........ we had McCoach and he brought us a title in 2010 with a fairly stellar defense and an exemplary receiving corp (already discussed in depth on at least one other thread). We also had John Kuhn who was a proven ultra-high reliability triple threat fullback (blocker, runner and receiver). 2020 had no proven blocking fullback).

Now we have LaCoach. Until LaCoach brings us a title its always going to be LaCoach. Lousy ___ Coach. From a historical perspective, this NFCCG performance was as bad as the playoff game versus the Redskins at RFK with Brockington and Lane in the backfield.

LaCoach LaCoach LaCoach. Grab Grab Grab!! Nobody's tacklin' ........... Grab Grab Grab! :clap:
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 20 Feb 2021 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Cdragon wrote:
28 Jan 2021 06:19
You can't take the ball out of AR's hands.
I dunno, I saw what he did with it after Brady's 3 INTs.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jan 2021 14:28

Let's get back to this and go over what it means and maybe even if it is correct.

So, going for it gives us a 13% chance of winning. Kicking the field a 9% chance of winning.

33% is the likelihood of converting the 4th and 8 into a TD. I am not sure where they get this from as 4th and 8 is historically converted at a 12.8% clip. More analytics go into it, but 33% sounds WAY too high.

98% - Chance of making the FG.

4% - Chance of winning if go for it and fail

9% - Chance of winning if we kick the FG and get 3 points

31% - Chance of winning if we go for it and get the TD (not including the 2 pt.)

It would be interesting to see what the chance would be if we missed the 2 pt.
If we missed the 2 pt conversion we still have to get FG to take the lead unless we allow Tampa to score another FG then we'd still need a TD because we'd then be down by 5. No matter what we did there we had to get into the endzone twice - either for a 2 pointer or TD later on. I still say going for that 2 pointer earlier in the game was a bigger boneheaded decision and it came back to bite us.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
20 Feb 2021 12:39
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jan 2021 14:28

Let's get back to this and go over what it means and maybe even if it is correct.

So, going for it gives us a 13% chance of winning. Kicking the field a 9% chance of winning.

33% is the likelihood of converting the 4th and 8 into a TD. I am not sure where they get this from as 4th and 8 is historically converted at a 12.8% clip. More analytics go into it, but 33% sounds WAY too high.

98% - Chance of making the FG.

4% - Chance of winning if go for it and fail

9% - Chance of winning if we kick the FG and get 3 points

31% - Chance of winning if we go for it and get the TD (not including the 2 pt.)

It would be interesting to see what the chance would be if we missed the 2 pt.
If we missed the 2 pt conversion we still have to get FG to take the lead unless we allow Tampa to score another FG then we'd still need a TD because we'd then be down by 5. No matter what we did there we had to get into the endzone twice - either for a 2 pointer or TD later on. I still say going for that 2 pointer earlier in the game was a bigger boneheaded decision and it came back to bite us.
Yes indeed. The way the 2020 NFCCG game was played was so so irritating and agitating. LaCoach LaCoach LaCoach!! Time to dig out of this LaCoach. Bring the title back to Titletown LaCoach.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Feb 2021 15:37
es indeed. The way the 2020 NFCCG game was played was so so irritating and agitating. LaCoach LaCoach LaCoach!! Time to dig out of this LaCoach. Bring the title back to Titletown LaCoach.
fans go ape &%$@ crazzzzzzy over the incidentals, problem is there are usually a bunch of incidentals, sure coaching blunders on both offense and defense hurt us, but imho thats not really why we lost, we lost because Jones, Adams, King, Sullivan, Barnes, Brown etc acted as though they where allergic to pork belly :rotf: the incidentals that really mattered came down to our best players not making the plays that they had been making all year, but ya, both MLF and Pettine looked as though they new my doctor, Dr. Mari j Wana :toke: :grin:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

TheGreenMan wrote:
20 Feb 2021 11:34
Cdragon wrote:
In the 3rd we scored on some nice drives that featured some running that while not terrriby effective kept the rush in check. We scored after the first pick. In the next two drives we went bombs away. He was sacked in each of the drives. His arm was hit as he threw. So there is 3 plays down. Lazard was badly held another no call. A back out of the backfield for a few. And MVS didn't get up the sideline. Not stellar but not all on AR either.

But we didn't just materialize on the 8 yard line. We got there with a run from Dillon and AR's arm. And if you were worried that we couldn't score from 8 yards out. What makes you think we were going to score from our own 20 or worse if we could force them to punt? Giving a HOFer a shot was the smart play. We were the top O, and the top in the RZ got to go for it.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Cdragon wrote:
20 Feb 2021 20:35
TheGreenMan wrote:
Cdragon wrote:
In the 3rd we scored on some nice drives that featured some running that while not terrriby effective kept the rush in check. We scored after the first pick. In the next two drives we went bombs away. He was sacked in each of the drives. His arm was hit as he threw. So there is 3 plays down. Lazard was badly held another no call. A back out of the backfield for a few. And MVS didn't get up the sideline. Not stellar but not all on AR either.

But we didn't just materialize on the 8 yard line. We got there with a run from Dillon and AR's arm. And if you were worried that we couldn't score from 8 yards out. What makes you think we were going to score from our own 20 or worse if we could force them to punt? Giving a HOFer a shot was the smart play. We were the top O, and the top in the RZ got to go for it.
What did not materialize however was a 4th and goal from the 16 inch line. Might have then seen the 31Wedge working or not working at the NorthEndzone. Would have been epic ............ instead we're here talking about Linsley, Jones, Wagner, Kirksey, King, Pettine, Special Teams, LaCoach, Bakh's injury, Preston, Redmond, Sullivan, Runyan, RT, ILB, Front 3 or 4 (whatever it was it didn't work), Love, 2 point conversion ........

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
21 Feb 2021 12:05
Cdragon wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

What did not materialize however was a 4th and goal from the 16 inch line. Might have then seen the 31Wedge working or not working at the NorthEndzone. Would have been epic ............ instead we're here talking about Linsley, Jones, Wagner, Kirksey, King, Pettine, Special Teams, LaCoach, Bakh's injury, Preston, Redmond, Sullivan, Runyan, RT, ILB, Front 3 or 4 (whatever it was it didn't work), Love, 2 point conversion ........
haaaaaaa, they say it's a game of inches, and we came up 288 inches short, when ya say it like this it doesn't sound as bad as 8 yrds short, and how on Gods green earth possessed anyone to give Jimmy Taylors number to a defensive player, that right there should be cause for a reprimand

ever notice how completely moronic officiating is talked about for one day post game, and never to be spoken of again, take away the crap officiating and we beat the Bucs 3 or 4 out of 5 games, and even with the 4 drops, a few missed tackles, a couple bone headed coaching decisions I still like our chances to beat that team, Brady must have doled out some awesome vacation packages to these referee's :lol:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
21 Feb 2021 13:13
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
21 Feb 2021 12:05
Cdragon wrote:

haaaaaaa, they say it's a game of inches, and we came up 288 inches short, when ya say it like this it doesn't sound as bad as 8 yrds short, and how on Gods green earth possessed anyone to give Jimmy Taylors number to a defensive player, that right there should be cause for a reprimand

ever notice how completely moronic officiating is talked about for one day post game, and never to be spoken of again, take away the crap officiating and we beat the Bucs 3 or 4 out of 5 games, and even with the 4 drops, a few missed tackles, a couple bone headed coaching decisions I still like our chances to beat that team, Brady must have doled out some awesome vacation packages to these referee's :lol:
Equally as bad as Amos wearing Taylor's number, was when Forrest Gregg was LaCoach and Willie Gillus, Vince Ferragamo, Don Majkowski and Curtis Burrow were issued Hornung's #5 jersey number. When Bart Starr was the LaCoach, Ray Nitschke's No. 66 was worn by linebacker Paul Rudzinski (in 1978) and nose tackle Mike Lewis (in 1980) (before Ray's number was retired in 1983). Jack Vainisi should be up there in Lambeau Field with Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson.

Many other Packers jersey numbers should be held sacred as well. Can't retire all the numbers ........... I understand that. #5 (Hornung), #24 (Wood), #26 (Adderley), #31 (Taylor) and #51 (Ringo) are worthy of being retired. Maybe even #12 :blah:

Check out this website ......... http://www.tailgatingjerseys.com/green- ... 1970s.html

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Just wanted to check on the meaning of the end of the post, with the emoji. Are you serious about the players mentioned as potential candidates for jersey retirements?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Half Empty wrote:
22 Feb 2021 09:08
Just wanted to check on the meaning of the end of the post, with the emoji. Are you serious about the players mentioned as potential candidates for jersey retirements?
No, I am not advocating retiring the jerseys of all of those guys. Realistically that would never happen so why even expect something like that. Just sayin' that the guys I listed have the credentials to have their jerseys retired that's all.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Don't forget there were 4 chances from the 8 yard line.

1st and goal from the 8
2nd and goal from the 8
3rd and goal from the 8
4th and goal from the 8.

LACoach.........LACoach...........LACoach. You've gotta do better.

And Gutey needs to focus on getting us a formidable defensive line.