Aaron Jones Watch

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
10 Mar 2021 08:06
go pak go wrote:
10 Mar 2021 07:53
Yoop wrote:
10 Mar 2021 07:17

I know I'am crying over spilt milk here, imo McCarthy wasted cheap production from Jones, even Rodgers hinted that we needed to run more at the end of Jones rookie season, he didn't mention Jones specifically but he's not blind, he obviously new Jones could be a big contributor with more touches.
I guess I don't get the hand wringing of how the Packers handled Aaron Jones in 2017 and 2018 when we weren't gonna do anything those years anyways.

If there is anything I am pissed or sad about the Aaron Jones era it is how he didn't contribute in either of our NFCCG's.
well hind sight is 20/20, and thats what your using when you say 017 and 018 where spoiler years, add in a 1000 yrds from Jones and those two seasons could have turned out better.

then you blame Jones for not producing against two of the best run stop defenses in the league in SF and Tampa, hardly Joneses fault that the OL couldn't open holes.

I love how people say never give a RB a 2nd contract, yet support them riding pine for 2 of there 4 rookie seasons.
You completely misunderstood what I had to say. I absolutely am using the benefit of hindsight. You are too when you say "you wish Mac used Jones earlier"

But with us both using hindsight to our benefit, I am saying I literally don't give it one ounce of worry because the 2017 and 2018 Packers stunk anyways. And they needed to stink to set up the new era.

How McCarthy used or treated Aaron Jones literally does not enter my mind of sadness one bit. 2017 and 2018 were irrelevant years that were a necessary evil for the Packers to move on from the unfortunate end of the TT and MM era. And not playing Jones just proved all the more that it was time for the Packers to move on from McCarthy because of his stubborn, to a fault, ways.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Say goodbye to Jones. The Packers did not tag him and somebody will pay him 10 mil +

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

go pak go wrote:
10 Mar 2021 07:56
YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Mar 2021 07:09
APB wrote:
10 Mar 2021 07:02
I get the financial side of the RB decisions but, man, do I hate seeing those two guys walk. They were good players, good team mates, and good citizens. They earned a second contract. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that second contract will be with the Packers. And again, I get why.
I'm feeling the same way. Like I wish RBs just didn't get paid much and we could keep these two as long as they can play
I'm the other way around.

Like I wish top WRs didn't command over $25 million. I wish QB's didn't command over $35 million. I wish pass rushers didn't command around $20 million and we could just have all these guys at around $12 million instead.

Like it doesn't give me pleasure that Aaron Jones deserves to be a low paid guy because he plays a certain position group when he is doing just as much work and likely more impactful than most on our team....yet we only want to pay him a Dean Lowry wage.
Unfortunately it's the nature of the position. Shelling out big bucks on a second contract for a RB is a bit dicey given the pounding these guys take.

I think most underappreciate Williams. Is he a #1? No. He's a heck of a #2 though and does alot of things quite well. Oh, and if memory serves, he hasn't missed many/any games.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lulu wrote:
10 Mar 2021 21:09
go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I'm feeling the same way. Like I wish RBs just didn't get paid much and we could keep these two as long as they can play

Like I wish top WRs didn't command over $25 million. I wish QB's didn't command over $35 million. I wish pass rushers didn't command around $20 million and we could just have all these guys at around $12 million instead.

Like it doesn't give me pleasure that Aaron Jones deserves to be a low paid guy because he plays a certain position group when he is doing just as much work and likely more impactful than most on our team....yet we only want to pay him a Dean Lowry wage.
Unfortunately it's the nature of the position. Shelling out big bucks on a second contract for a RB is a bit dicey given the pounding these guys take.

I think most underappreciate Williams. Is he a #1? No. He's a heck of a #2 though and does alot of things quite well. Oh, and if memory serves, he hasn't missed many/any games.
The question is how much it will take to keep Williams.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lulu wrote:
I don't think he's that underappreciated; we all think he's a solid #2. But if we're not gonna pay for a #1, why pay for a #2?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lulu wrote:
go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Depends on his market right?

Would I pay Jamaal Williams $4 million or more? No.

I think $3 to $4 million I could see us pulling the trigger. Especially if it is for a few years with an even lower year 1 cap hit.

Would I pay Jamaal Williams $2 to $3 million? Yeah I could really start getting more comfortable with that.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Jones should stick with us even if it's ostensibly for less and here's why.

It is very very common for RBs to decline earlier than other positions. Nobody disagrees with that. Also, RBs tend to decline immediately after getting a big payday. If they go to another team, with another system (in which they're unproven) and coaches, it's far more likely they take a step back than take a step forward. So all of those things considered, it's likely that whatever team signs him to a big contract will be regretting it, at least a little bit, after a year, because the chances are moderately high that he won't live up to it. And just like it's common for RBs to decline after big contracts, it's common for teams to pull the plug on RBs who aren't pulling their weight faster than other positions.

In other words, there is a moderately high chance he signs a deal and gets cut after a year and loses leverage. And then once a RB is cut and tarnished as overvalued, you see it all the time that they frequently have trouble plugging back in and ever getting good money again. GB would be an option since he flourished in our system, but if we've moved on from him once, we'd presumably have a rotation already in place and thus he wouldn't be as valuable to us then as he is now.

So take this scenario vs re-signing with us for a healthy yet slightly undermarket (for him) salary. He remains the lead back. He likely does just as well as he has been doing in a system he knows and is somewhat designed for him. We likely stick with him for several years and are much slower to cut our losses should regression occur, both because he's our system guy and because he is not overvalued. There's a 50-50 chance or better that he makes more money with us in 4 years than he does by trying to hit payday somewhere else, plus he sets himself up as a Packer for life. Plus let's be honest if he actually wants a Super Bowl, he's got a better shot here than Miami or NYJ.

Or he could be like Mark Ingram or David Johnson or Lamar Miller and sucker the Texans into breaking the bank for a RB on the verge of being washed up later in his career. But assuming that will no longer be a play at that point, if I'm him, I'm definitely testing the waters, but I'm keeping a clear bias towards staying where I'm at even if it means that the sticker price on my deal might be less.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

If the Packers are really serious about going ALL IN to win the 2021 NFL Championship, then the Packers should keep Aaron Jones on the roster for another year, and greatly improve the defensive line. This is not at all complicated. Found this on the internet:

A compensatory draft pick in the fifth round in 2017, Jones has been nothing short of fantastic. He is No. 2 in the draft class with 3,364 rushing yards, behind only Minnesota’s Dalvin Cook but ahead of Cincinnati’s Joe Mixon, New Orleans’ Alvin Kamara and Carolina’s Christian McCaffrey, all of whom received extensions last year.

Jones ranks 11th in franchise history in rushing yards and is tied for fourth with 37 rushing touchdowns. Among all running backs in Packers history with at least 100 career carries, his 5.17-yard average tops the team chart.

Among all backs in NFL history with at least 650 carries, Jones ranks sixth in yards per carry. He’s averaged at least 5.47 yards per attempt in three of his four seasons. He had another great year in 2020. While he didn’t find the end zone nearly as often (11 total touchdowns vs. his league-leading 19 in 2019), he rushed for a career-high 1,104 yards and averaged 5.49 yards per carry.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

even in a bad year to get big money in FA, Jones will be a hot ticket player, probably get 12 to 13 annual on a 3 to 4 year contract and will go fast, the production is obvious, and thats what GM's look for in a player.

we can't even afford the tag price, why would Jones take less then that to remain here, in one season he will double what we could offer him.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
14 Mar 2021 07:18
even in a bad year to get big money in FA, Jones will be a hot ticket player, probably get 12 to 13 annual on a 3 to 4 year contract and will go fast, the production is obvious, and thats what GM's look for in a player.

we can't even afford the tag price, why would Jones take less then that to remain here, in one season he will double what we could offer him.
Who is this poster of reason and what have you done with Yoop!?
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

texas wrote:
14 Mar 2021 01:52

It is very very common for RBs to decline earlier than other positions. Nobody disagrees with that. Also, RBs tend to decline immediately after getting a big payday. If they go to another team, with another system (in which they're unproven) and coaches, it's far more likely they take a step back than take a step forward. So all of those things considered, it's likely that whatever team signs him to a big contract will be regretting it, at least a little bit, after a year, because the chances are moderately high that he won't live up to it. And just like it's common for RBs to decline after big contracts, it's common for teams to pull the plug on RBs who aren't pulling their weight faster than other positions.

In other words, there is a moderately high chance he signs a deal and gets cut after a year and loses leverage. And then once a RB is cut and tarnished as overvalued, you see it all the time that they frequently have trouble plugging back in and ever getting good money again. GB would be an option since he flourished in our system, but if we've moved on from him once, we'd presumably have a rotation already in place and thus he wouldn't be as valuable to us then as he is now.

So take this scenario vs re-signing with us for a healthy yet slightly undermarket (for him) salary. He remains the lead back. He likely does just as well as he has been doing in a system he knows and is somewhat designed for him. We likely stick with him for several years and are much slower to cut our losses should regression occur, both because he's our system guy and because he is not overvalued. There's a 50-50 chance or better that he makes more money with us in 4 years than he does by trying to hit payday somewhere else, plus he sets himself up as a Packer for life. Plus let's be honest if he actually wants a Super Bowl, he's got a better shot here than Miami or NYJ.

Or he could be like Mark Ingram or David Johnson or Lamar Miller and sucker the Texans into breaking the bank for a RB on the verge of being washed up later in his career. But assuming that will no longer be a play at that point, if I'm him, I'm definitely testing the waters, but I'm keeping a clear bias towards staying where I'm at even if it means that the sticker price on my deal might be less.
But I can understand if he goes for a nice payday. The career of most RBs is short so if I were in his shoes and some team was gonna pay me $10+ million I wouldn't hesitate.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
14 Mar 2021 08:35
Yoop wrote:
14 Mar 2021 07:18

Who is this poster of reason and what have you done with Yoop!?
It may take a while, but I usually get there eventually :lol:

losing a RB like Jones is really tough, none of this "never sign a RB to a second contract" really fit concerning Jones, he's low mileage, so his legs aren't tired, and we could have used him more as a receiver easily but for whatever reason Lafluer chose not to, I could see Jones busting the 2K total yards barrier easily given a good fit.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Pugger wrote:
14 Mar 2021 09:48
texas wrote:

But I can understand if he goes for a nice payday. The career of most RBs is short so if I were in his shoes and some team was gonna pay me $10+ million I wouldn't hesitate.
Yeah I wouldn't blame him either. And guys like that don't get where they are unless they are willing to repeatedly bet on themselves. However, the chances are higher than anyone wants to admit that if he leaves, he won't be nearly as effective as he was in GB and will get cut after a year. Because teams that give big money to RBs regret it like 95% of the time. And if he's one and done in a new location, it's unlikely he ever again sniffs even what we're offering him now.

But yeah $10m right now is hard to pass up.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
14 Mar 2021 12:01
Pugger wrote:
texas wrote:

Yeah I wouldn't blame him either. And guys like that don't get where they are unless they are willing to repeatedly bet on themselves. However, the chances are higher than anyone wants to admit that if he leaves, he won't be nearly as effective as he was in GB and will get cut after a year. Because teams that give big money to RBs regret it like 95% of the time. And if he's one and done in a new location, it's unlikely he ever again sniffs even what we're offering him now.

blah, blah, blah, it's rumored he'll be offered 12 or more, and just a couple weeks ago I brought a list of over a half doz second contract RB's that excelled on second and 3rd contracts, so Jones could easily be another,.

if this was a normal year Guty would have a hard time not resigning a RB that just produced 3200 yrds and 29 TD's in the last 2 seasons, to you those stats don't seem to matter. :thwap:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

texas wrote:
14 Mar 2021 12:01
Pugger wrote:
texas wrote:

It's not the x million per year Jones is really looking for, it's the guaranteed money. If he gets that, he's sort of insured vs both getting hurt and vs getting cut.

It's true that if he stayed in GB, he'd have a good chance of seeing all of that (below market) contract. He'd have a good system fit role, and we wouldn't ride him 'til he breaks down due to Dillon. But there's still the chance of an injury every time you take the field, and without guarantees a RB is expendable.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

OK, shut down this thread and the JJ thread now.

Time to focus on the offensive tackles, and the entire defense minus Clark, Z, Gary, Savage and Jaire.

And herd immunity.

GO PACK GO !!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Dec 2020 19:36
So he wants more money... Damn. Nice knowing you Aaron Jones! Now bring home that Lombardi!
Found somebody who didn’t wanna pay Aaron Jones
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jan 2023 17:57
Pckfn23 wrote:
So he wants more money... Damn. Nice knowing you Aaron Jones! Now bring home that Lombardi!
Oh, I see, you don't understand sarcasm. Good try! Bringing back a 2 year old topic for that... Sad.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jan 2023 17:58
Drj820 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Oh, I see, you don't understand sarcasm. Good try! Bringing back a 2 year old topic for that... Sad.
You called me a troll and Yoop a village idiot (very rude) after I agreed people didn’t want to sign him. Then you mistakenly said I couldn’t find proof…I went and found some. It was easy.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jan 2023 18:16
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jan 2023 17:58
Drj820 wrote:

You called me a troll and Yoop a village idiot (very rude) after I agreed people didn’t want to sign him. Then you mistakenly said I couldn’t find proof…I went and found some. It was easy.
You found proof? Of what pray tell? Sarcasm? How can Aaron Jones bring home a Lombardi if he wasn't on the team?

I did call you a troll, but I only called yoop the village. No idiot, typed.:aok:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."