Round 1 (26) - Jordan Love, QB Utah State

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:38
Not even close to apples to apples.... The only similarities are that a team drafted a QB in the first round with a Pro Bowl QB already on the roster and their ages are close. ONLY similarities.
Only ones that matter at this point.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:37
texas wrote:
23 Apr 2020 22:42
I like the pick. Needed an ILB more, clearly, but Rodgers hasn't been good and if we want to win, he needs to play better than he has, especially in the playoffs against tough defenses.

This either lights a fire under him (which is needed), or it doesn't and then we move on. Time to &%$@ or get off the pot.
This! Good comment, Texas!

Aaron hasn’t been as focused in recent years as he was in the past. We would maybe say that’s because he doesn’t have enough WR talent. But that’s not all. We needed Aaron to be super-motivated as much (or more) than just giving him more weapons.

I like the pick. And we’ll forget how much we’re griping in a couple more years; maybe less if Aaron gets hurt. Unless Love turns out to be another Kizer.
We will have to forget it in a couple more years, because this pick can't come to fruition for 3 years!!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:42
Pckfn23 wrote:
Not even close to apples to apples.... The only similarities are that a team drafted a QB in the first round with a Pro Bowl QB already on the roster and their ages are close. ONLY similarities.
SO incorrect. The cap implications also play a HUGE role in this, plus the fact that we $%@# TRADED UP!!!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I have never in any of my Packers fan hood days been so absolutely bummed on draft day.

This day is supposed to be a freaking celebration.

We had Queen right there. We traded up with Queen sitting right freaking there.

As others stated. I don't hate the player. I like the player. I like him all well fine and good. It's just the player makes NO sense on being on the Green Bay Packers. It just doesn't. If we had Rodgers's contract where we could trade him in 2021...yes I would be more on board. But we can't trade Rodgers at minimum until 2022.

The only thing I can think is Kirksey is great at LB. We get our WR tomorrow. (though who the f*ck is even left). Rodgers actually plays good for once in 3 years. We get our ring> Jordan Love develops. We trade Rodgers after 2021 and get a nice young quarterback with some nice draft capital going into 2022.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

About the only thing that will make this pick better if Gute gets up on stage and tells me that Rodgers just retired before the draft began.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

There’s an axiom in football that says that when you see a QB who can be an elite QB and you believe in him that way, you just draft him and deal with the fallout. That has to be what Guty did today. He really believes in this kid, even more than anybody else who was on the board.

Thing is, now Love will be the spectre that haunts Aaron Rodgers every week. How will the entire organization deal with that? I think it’ll be okay.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:44
About the only thing that will make this pick better if Gute gets up on stage and tells me that Rodgers just retired before the draft began.
Or they are trading Love to another team for a good player.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:43
NCF wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
SO incorrect. The cap implications also play a HUGE role in this, plus the fact that we $%@# TRADED UP!!!
The cap implications loomed for the Pats, too. Maybe not to the exact same extent, but they sure did. And the trade up and where they were drafted is, at this point, irrelevant. Should have been considered before the pick was made, but here we are now. No longer relevant.

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Serious question though:

Would Rodgers be a better mentor than Favre?

If we're honest with ourselves, I don't think so. We're bias as fans go, but rumor or not... I just do not see Rodgers in that role at all.
RIP JustJeff

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:47
Serious question though:

Would Rodgers be a better mentor than Favre?

If we're honest with ourselves, I don't think so. We're bias as fans go, but rumor or not... I just do not see Rodgers in that role at all.
If Rodgers is as introspective as he seems, then yes.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:46
Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:43
NCF wrote:

The cap implications loomed for the Pats, too. Maybe not to the exact same extent, but they sure did. And the trade up and where they were drafted is, at this point, irrelevant. Should have been considered before the pick was made, but here we are now. No longer relevant.
The Pats?! They had no where near the cap implications. Ya, here we are now. We play a rookie and eat a $30 million cap hit for 2 years or we sit our 1st round pick for 2 years. Neither scenario is good.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

"What we're playing for right now" Gute

:rotf: :roll:
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Love is not some amazing prospect. Queen was there. Bulagas replacement was there with the OT from Ga. We could have gotten much better tonight. We took our dump on our current qb instead for a guy that was not on first round boards.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:50
"What we're playing for right now" Gute

:rotf: :roll:
Such BS.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Only three ways you get a good QB: draft high (which means you finished 4-12 or worse), get lucky (Wilson, Brady) which happens for 1 team about once a decade, or draft and develop. I don't think Love is "that guy" but he will be given every opportunity to learn without the pressure of starting and become it.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Loving the questions. Gute is being put on the spot.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:28
salmar80 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:25
Did we acquire Favre or Rodgers in moves that made sense at the time.

:censored: no.

We traded the 19th overall pick for a drunk of a second rounder who did nothing in his rookie season, except throw half of his 4 throws to the other team.

We picked a guy with the 24th pick with zero need at QB. Destined to be another Jeff Tedford -coached failure.

Us trading up and picking Love makes no sense to me, but neither did acquiring Favre and Rodgers.
Favre, maybe. Rodgers, definitely made more and more sense to me as he fell from literally the top of the draft. You weren't wanting a QB going into that draft until he was smack dab right in front of you. Love wasn't in front of anyone but Gute.

Dude was at least 10 rows back.
"Favre, maybe"?! If there had been forums like this back in that day, EVERYONE would've labeled Wolf as utterly insane. The Rodgers pick wasn't quite that blatant, but there were years of calling for TT's head for it. TTards was the term used to speak of people who supported the pick and/or GM. Until AR started playing.

Look, I was hoping for a pick at another position. All this pick has going for it is that former GMs have made other ballsy QB moves and succeeded at it. Gutekunst's job is now tethered to Love.

If we go back-to-back-to-back with great QBs, that would be something marvelous. If the Love pick fails, we'll have wasted a great opportunity.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Love will sit for 3 years like Rodgers did. Maybe less if Rodgers gets injured in a year or two.

Then hopefully we’ll have another HOFer Three in a row would really be something.
Love is the answer…

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheGreenMan wrote:

Favre, maybe. Rodgers, definitely made more and more sense to me as he fell from literally the top of the draft. You weren't wanting a QB going into that draft until he was smack dab right in front of you. Love wasn't in front of anyone but Gute.

The rumors are that the Colts were trying to come up to get him and we moved instead.

Plenty of people thought he was a very high-level prospect. He's been compared by many to Mahomes. It's perfectly fine to hate the pick, but don't act like he isn't a high caliber player with incredible arm talent. He's a pure talent prospect. The player is not the problem here.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

salmar80 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:02
TheGreenMan wrote:
salmar80 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:25
Did we acquire Favre or Rodgers in moves that made sense at the time.

:censored: no.

We traded the 19th overall pick for a drunk of a second rounder who did nothing in his rookie season, except throw half of his 4 throws to the other team.

We picked a guy with the 24th pick with zero need at QB. Destined to be another Jeff Tedford -coached failure.

Us trading up and picking Love makes no sense to me, but neither did acquiring Favre and Rodgers.

"Favre, maybe"?! If there had been forums like this back in that day, EVERYONE would've labeled Wolf as utterly insane. The Rodgers pick wasn't quite that blatant, but there were years of calling for TT's head for it. TTards was the term used to speak of people who supported the pick and/or GM. Until AR started playing.

Look, I was hoping for a pick at another position. All this pick has going for it is that former GMs have made other ballsy QB moves and succeeded at it. Gutekunst's job is now tethered to Love.

If we go back-to-back-to-back with great QBs, that would be something marvelous. If the Love pick fails, we'll have wasted a great opportunity.
Yeah, maybe. I definitely can see it with Favre. I don't see it with Rodgers at all. And have no recollection of people wanting Ted's head for drafting Rodgers. The only recollection I have was people wanting Ted to branch out in free agency, and that his drafting (all of it) wasn't going to get it done.
RIP JustJeff